main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Rathtars

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BOBA-FETT-82, Dec 18, 2015.

1. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Reminds me far more of the "there's always a bigger fish" scene in TPM.

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    rathtars were great.

3. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I loved how they rolled. It was CRAZY :D Great scene. HAHA RATHARS!!!!

There's positive, negatives to many scenes in Star Wars. I love the Rancor's eyes... not so much the black thick line around it. Come on, honestly, rose tinted glasses.

The spider bike scene is raw but obviously green/ blue screen in many parts.
    This movie respected traditional FX a fair bit and used CGI sparingly. It will age fairly...

Given how some old school FX age... and you can tell it's all fake, there is obvious appeal to it, for instance the rancors texture, beady eyes... but yeah you can also see exactly how it's been done.

Some people believe that perfect hyper realism isn't even possible and never will be...

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  4. Darth Vain

Darth Vain Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2016
    Hated it. Makes Han and Chewie look like the kind of morons who trade in living beings. Oh...
    You kind of lose a little respect for Solo - makes him look small.

5. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Exactly the point, I think. Rey, the quest to find Luke, and seeing his son, snaps Han Solo out of the "smallness" he's lapsed into.

Again, our expectations about the OT three hinder a clear-eyed look at what's happening in the story. Stop expecting (or desiring) Han Solo to be perfect (or exactly what you want him to be), and it's then possible to look below the surface of what's going on in the story at hand.

6. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Meh. It's good to have the odd inconsequential action scene. Not every engagement needs to be a core moment in the history of the saga. Thought it was pretty much par for the course for a SW film.

Rathtars, Rancors, Space worms, assorted arena beasts, those..um...fish things in TPM, Dianogas...these things are just part of the fun.

Plus I thought it reintroduced the rouguish Han and his rapport with Chewie very well.

7. Darth Vain

Darth Vain Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2016
    Good points. I suppose it's down to what each of us is prepared to accept. I didn't expect anything - just didn't like what I was given.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  8. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    speeder bike ^....;) I said spider bike. Sorry.

9. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016
    I liked the idea of the scene, just wasnt keen on the Rathtars themselves, or weirdly, Scottish accents in star wars. That felt really weird. And I really like the scottish accent...

10. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    I'm kind of with you and I'm from Scotland (Glasgow). It was rather odd to hear "Tell that to Kanjiklub" in such a broad Scottish accent in SW.

11. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016

I'm from Manchester and I'd be wierded out if a manc accent popped up. I think very generic accents in outlandish fantasy. All though I really liked Gleeson's "loooaaathsome rrrrrestistance" accent.

AmySolo likes this.
  12. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It's the accent in the line delivery. I also like the word.
    It also got them all on the Falcon and gave Han a reason to abandon that ship.

13. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    That's why I don't get the criticism of Rey's well spoken generic English accent. People are stating that her accent is to polished for a "scavenger" but IMO the film wouldn't work if the main lead had a strong regional dialect (be it English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish)

14. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016

100% agree. People are just looking for stuff to whinge about. You know, because its not as good as the phantom menace. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Sarge likes this.
  15. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    Monster attacks are classic Star Wars, as was this scene.

16. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Wasn't there a rumored concept art of these things swinging from tree to tree taking out troopers on speederbikes? That would have been a better way to go. There was no need for this to be the cause for Han & Chewie to take back the Falcon and join in the adventure. Han would have abandoned that freighter the moment he saw the Falcon on long-range scanners.

17. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I keep hearing this complaint, and I'm having difficulty understanding it. We've had American accents, RP English accents, Frank Oz accents, etc. Why not a Scottish one? Felt perfectly natural to me. Especially in the context of that sort of scene. He's an Outer Rim gang member, so he's got an outer UK regional accent. :)

18. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    it reminded me of that Star Trek scene as well with more of a Nautical Squid Like feel to the creatures in TFA but subsequently the Star Trek Scene reminds me of Hoth in Empire!!!!!!!

19. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Yeah. In ST09, it's a pure action scene. In TFA, the scene is full of little character and story-building moments.

WatTamborWoo and Leoluca Randisi like this.
  20. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015
    I felt like at no point did this movie even come close to "dragging", personally.

21. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I loved the Rathtar's scene, every star wars movie needs monsters !!!!!!!!!! and I did not feel the scene dragged at all neither did any part of the movie...

22. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    This film never "drags." It moves very, very quickly.

23. Evetssteve10

Sep 21, 2015

Yea it was a glimpse into Hans life and what he has been up to. It seems like people ask for explanations on things and then when they get one they complain it was unnecessary. To me it was necessary to visually SHOW what Han has been doing instead of talking about it with an exposition dump.

24. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Right. And it was both fun as hell, and a great bit of world-building.

25. Evetssteve10

Sep 21, 2015

I agree - it was fun. It could have come off really stupid like one of the scenes in crystal skull but was executed quite well. Also not sure if it was just because I saw it in 3D but I thought the effects looked pretty great - I'll have to see what they look like in 2D when I see the film a second time.

I can't believe how much of the movie I have such a vivid memory of, which is always a sign of a memorable movie