main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The RATING Thread of all SW MOVIES>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by mattalgrand, Aug 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattalgrand

mattalgrand Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 14, 2003
    I wanted to see what my peer SW fans thought of the entire saga individually. Here are my ratings of the SW movies out of a ten.

ANH > 10 out of 10
    ESB > 9 out of 10 (personally i think Empire is overrated)
    ROTJ> 9 out of 10

TPM > 7 out of 10
    AOTC> 8 out of 10

An hopefully , EP 3 will do alot better than the previous PT movies.

What are your ratings????

2. JansonYellowAces

JansonYellowAces Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2002
    In comparision to my favorite movie, A New Hope.

The Phantom Menace: 5.5/10
    Attack of the Clones: 7.75/10
    A New Hope: 10/10
    Empire Strikes Back: 9.75/10
    Return of the Jedi: 8/10

And some EU to compare with the Movies:

Zahn Trilogy: 9.75/10
    X-Wing Books: 9/10

3. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Lists are really topics for the SW Community Forum. However, if we turn this into a deeper discussion of why specifically we give each movie the rating, I think it'll fit this forum more.

:)

4. Darkehelmet8907

Darkehelmet8907 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2003
    Now I will get flamed for this, but please give me a break I am also rating these movies on how much I like them NOT how much I think they should deserve as a movie
    TPM-8
    AOTC-6
    ANH-9
    ESB-9
    ROTJ-9

5. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    TPM - 8/10, i love the action & allthough the movie starts off kind of slow it all comes together at the end

Conclusion: a great movie that could've been better

AOTC - 10/10, i love everything about this movie

Conclusion: in my mind a flawless movie, i honestly don't see how someone could hate this as a Star Wars movie

ANH - 10/10, perfect, you actually feel like you're being drawn into the rebels/Empire fight as if you were Luke Skywalker

Conclusion: Perfect

ESB - 10/10, in one word-

Conclusion:-flawless

ROTJ - 7/10, my least favorite movie, i can't stand the Tatooine sequence, the Endor scenes are great & the Dagobah/Throne room scenes are all flawless

Conclusion: semi-great movie that could've been flawless

6. BibbleStrikesBack

BibbleStrikesBack Jedi Master

Jul 21, 2003
    TPM - 6/10
    Upon a first few viewings, the movie was great, but after buying it on video, I found myself fast forwarding often. Beautiful sets and grahics, however, very superior. The scenes at the palace during the battle as well as every Darth Maul/Darth Sidious scene were wonderful to watch and really made this movie. The introduction, too, was excellent up until Jar Jar's appearance (and I really don't hate the guy, just that first scene).

AOTC - 9/10
    Wonderful to watch! This movie truly opened us up into the world of the Jedi, one which, until the PT, we could only guess about. Visuals were excellent, and the battle at the beginning of the clone war was probably my favorite Star Wars battle. I suspect that E3 will make this movie even better.

ANH - 8/10
    I love this movie, but nowadays it seems rather tame in comparison to the others. Fun to watch and a classic.

ESB - 10/10
    This was a superior movie, period. The directing was the best of the bunch and the shots were memorable. This movie developed the characters better than the rest, and I love the battle of Hoth as well as Vader's fight with Luke, and jkust about every aspect of the Bespin portion of the flick.

ROTJ - 9/10
    While the Endor scenes weren't the best, the Emperor stole the show, and the space battle was unbelievable. This was more of a wrap-up movie, but fun to watch anyway. Loved the Tatooine scenes!

7. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    I'll keep this simple

TPM - 6/10
    AOTC - 6/10
    ANH - 9/10
    ESB - 10/10
    ROTJ - 5/10

8. jediknight_2033

jediknight_2033 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2002
    TPM-9/10
    This movie sets up the transformation of Anakin Skywalker into Darth Vader. It also has a sweet battle against Darth Maul
    AOTC-9/10
    Although the love scenes are boring, this movie does have some serious action.
    ANH-10/10
    This movie is a classic. Every time I watch it, I think about the first time I ever watched Star Wars.
    ESB-8.5/10
    I like the Battle of Hoth and the lightsaber fight but, this movie is my least favorite (ghasp!)
    ROTJ-9/10
    This movie has the best ending and brings the saga to a close.

9. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    The Phantom Menace 7 / 10
    > This movie is a good foundation, but it's a little too kiddy for me.

Attack of the Clones 9 / 10
    > Good and dark, with an excellent Obi-Wan story line and great ending.

A New Hope 9 / 10
    > Great beginning on Tatooine, introduces new characters we grow to care about.

The Empire Strikes Back 10 / 10
    > Darker the better I say. The BIG revelation, Solo imprisoned and Luke following his father's footsteps make it that way.

Return of the Jedi 10 / 10
    > A fitting conclusion of the saga, with some of my favorite scenes on Tatooine.

10. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    ANH: 7.5/10
    "+"
    Great opening scenes
    Nice history in Obi-Wan's hut
    Great space battle

"-"
    Pacing is terrible, the R2 & 3PO Tatooine scenes makes one very sleepy.
    Lack of music
    Continuity problems

ESB: 9/10
    "+"
    Great Hoth battle
    Great finale
    Superb soundtrack

"-"
    Pacing yet again: very slow before Hoth Battle & inside that asteroid
    Han Solo is annoying, so are the MF's hyperspace problems
    ESB chimp emperor

ROTJ: 3/10
    "+"
    Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) scenes
    Space Battle
    Dagobah scenes

"-"
    Every Jabba the Hutt scene
    Every Endor scene before the battle

TPM: 8/10
    "+"
    Palpatine - Qui-Gon - Shmi
    Interesting political stuff
    Beautiful scenery

"-"
    Gungans
    Music editing

AOTC: 9.5/10
    "+"
    Everything on Kamino, Geonosis, Tatooine & Naboo

"-"
    Speeder chase too long
    Music editing

So, my list :D
    1. AOTC
    2. ESB
    3. TPM
    4. ANH

5. ROTJ

11. ValinFett21

ValinFett21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2003
    ANH-9/10
    ESB-10/10
    ROTJ-8/10

TPM-6.5/10
    AOTC-8/10
    Episode III.....................

12. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    ANH-7/10- ok but nothing compared to some of the others.

EMP-9,5/10

Roj-10/10- best star wars movie.

Phantom- 7,5/10 To litle of Darth maul

AOTC-9,8 - Anakin rules

13. Myaha

Myaha Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    TPM - 9/10 - great intruduction into the GFFA and superb visuals

AOTC - 10/10 - fantastic story and bombad beginning of the Clone Wars

ANH - 8/10 - to linear IMO but great climax

TESB - 8.5/10 - great middlepart of act two with and a entertaining battle in the snow

ROTJ - 9/10 - great conclusion of the saga and a heartbreaking end *sniff*

Edit: :D
    Caravan of Courage - sweeeeeet
    Battle for Endor - cooooool
    :p

14. Dr_Typo

Dr_Typo Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2003
    ANH - 7/10
    TESB - 8/10
    ROTJ - 11/10 (Okay, okay, 10/10, I guess. :p :D)
    TPM - 9/10
    AOTC - 9.5/10

15. Cowboy_Maligor

Cowboy_Maligor Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2003
    TPM: 7.5/10
    This one has some good characters in Qui Gon and Darth Maul. Jake Lloyd's acting was a little bit lacking, but it wasn't unbearable. Jar Jar was funny sometimes, obnoxious others. The Tatooine sequence was a bit long, I think. Duel of the Fates is the best lightsaber battle ever.

AotC: 9.5/10
    I really don't see how a SW movie could get much better. Obi Wan is awesome in this movie, and the foreshadowing is great. The Battle of Geonosis is by far the best big-battle in the saga so far. This film had a very broad scope, which was nice. My only complaints: excessive CGI and the fireplace scene.

ANH: 6/10
    Yeah, its a classic. Yeah lots of people love it. But I can't get over how bad the effects are. I know its the story that counts and all that, but the movie just looks terrible. I also felt that it was a little too small scale, and that it was very slow. I didn't even really like the end battle. About the only thing I like about this one is the acting, which was superb.

ESB: 8/10
    A nice movie. The Battle of Hoth is quite "wizard". Yoda's dialogue is great in this one. Some parts of the film felt just a bit slow, but the movie really gets great once the Falcon lands on Bespin. Great lightsaber duel, too.

RotJ: 8/10
    I actually liked the Jabba sequence, with the exception of the Rancor bit (it looks so fake/bad!) The Ewoks were tolerable, I thought. I actually think the Emporer/Vader/Luke scenes could've been done better. Yeah, I'm weird. The space battle was awesome.

16. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    TPM - 8.5
    Highly uneven. Occasionally fails to capture the SW spirit of adventure, often does not make itself clear. A couple of substandard performances, boring battle. On the other hand, a visual stunner, some excellent performances and possibly the most intellectually challenging SW film yet.

AOTC - 9.5
    Brilliant, exciting adventure and the best-looking film ever made. Minor flaws include occasional dodgy dialogue and unforgivable music edits. But overall one of the most incredible movies I've seen in my life.

ANH - 10
    The greatest movie ever made.

ESB - 8.75
    Poorly paced with some boring parts. Improper tone. But accomplished visuals, good sharp dialogue and the best scene in cinema history.

ROTJ - 9
    Starts off slow, but overall good fun which, once it finally kicks into high gear, is a solid winner till the last frame. Biggest gripes: tacked-on sisterhood, flat cinematography.

(1) ANH
    (2) AOTC
    (3) ROTJ
    (4) ESB
    (5) TPM

Rick McCallum loves you!

17. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Ah heck. I didn't want to do this, but I might as well. I'd like to figure out just how I view each of these movies on their own, so here we go:

TPM - 7.5/10
    Slightly childish in some parts, and boring in others. But it's very epic, and overall is a well-made movie, and a good introduction. Nice visuals.

AotC - 9.5/10
    Amazing. Brilliant cinematogrophy, eerie foreshadowing, exciting, and emotional. Minor flaws, including sub-par dialogue, and faulty editing in certain parts.

ANH - 7.5/10
    A fun adventure, but poor cinematogrophy, and bland visuals overall. Sub-par dialogue and over-acting in certain areas. Good continuation of the story, and some of the best scenes of the entire Saga involving Obi-Wan (m'favorite character).

TESB - 8.5/10
    Good visuals, good dialogue (mostly), and a nice overall theme of evil blasting the heck out of good. However, slow pacing and lack of adventure take it down quite a bit.

RotJ - 9/10
    Nice conclusion to the Saga, with a brilliant ending of its own. Very emotional. Palpatine is awesome. But...sub-par dialogue, horrible cinematogrophy, and slightly contrived plot. Still, a fitting end, containing the best scenes of the Saga.

Conclusion:

1. AotC
    2. RotJ
    3. TESB
    4. (TIE)TPM and ANH

18. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    ESB
    AOTC
    ROTJ
    TPM
    ANH

19. PDLawry

PDLawry Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2003
    TPM-6/10
    AotC-9/10
    ANH-9/10
    ESB-9.5/10
    RotJ-10/10

20. -DarthMetallus-

-DarthMetallus- Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2003
    TPM= 4.5/10
    pro: Lightsaber fighting,Obi-Wan,Darth Maul. Shows how both the Senate and the Jedi Council work.

Con: Qui-Gon,Watto,Pod Race, strange conindences(C-3P0 and Anakin),worst ending of all The films and of course JAR-JAR.

Final Word: Dissapointment

AOTC= 8
    Pro: Palpatine, Anakin after killing tusken raiders scene,visual effects,last 45 minutes of the film are sooo good,Jango Fett,and Yoda's great preformance.

Con: Editing,music,some slow parts, and some bad acting.

Final Word: Wow

ANH= 9
    Pro: Cast chemistry, great memorable dialouge,good preformances, good music, and great space battle.

Con: Lack of budget,and Greedo shooting first.

Final word: innovation.

ESB:10
    Pro:Everything about this film is superb. The music is sooo good.

Con: none

Final word: Perfect

ROTJ:9
    Pro: THE EMPEROR, space battle, jabba scenes are pretty good, the scenes on the Death Star are very very good,and the SE ending adds a whole point it is so good.

Con:Ewoks, and Leia's acting.

Final word: fufilment

21. DARTH_CHINA

Dec 31, 2001
    I really can't understand that people that give TPM bad points, love ROTJ. ?[face_plain]

There's only one reason, IMO: Nostalgia.

22. DarthBurns

DarthBurns Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    TPM-5/10
    AotC-6/10
    ANH-8/10
    ESB-10/10
    RotJ-9/10

I can't understand how people can love AotC so much. The dialogue is cringe-worthy and Natalie Portman's acting is laughable. The action scenes were good, but good action doesn't mean it is a good film. The OT did not have the best action, but it was the interaction between the characters that made the films so special. I'm not saying AotC is a bad film, but it doesn't come close to the OT.

23. DARTH_CHINA

Dec 31, 2001
    IMO

The dialogue is cringe-worthy and Natalie Portman's acting is laughable.

Same with ROTJ, it's a Star Wars thing. And Harrison Fords & Carrie Fisher's acting was very bad in ROTJ.

The action scenes were good, but good action doesn't mean it is a good film.

Same for ROTJ. But the main difference between ROTJ & AOTC is that AOTC had a decent, complicated & original plot, something ROTJ can only dream of.

The OT did not have the best action, but it was the interaction between the characters that made the films so special.

Ever seen the interaction between Qui-Gon, Anakin, Shmi, Obi-Wan, Palpatine?

Ever seen the brilliant Tatooine scenes of AOTC?

I'm not saying AotC is a bad film, but it doesn't come close to the OT.

Don't forget to add 'IMO'. ;)

24. DarthBurns

DarthBurns Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    Same with ROTJ, it's a Star Wars thing. And Harrison Fords & Carrie Fisher's acting was very bad in ROTJ.

Really? Please, I'd love to see any examples of cringe-worthy dialogue from RotJ. And the two films cannot even be compared in the acting category. Although Harrison did look like he couldn't be bothered and Carrie looked quite stoned, it is a far cry from the laughable Portman and often wooden Christensen.

Same for ROTJ. But the main difference between ROTJ & AOTC is that AOTC had a decent, complicated & original plot, something ROTJ can only dream of.

No, the main difference between RotJ and AotC is the pace. I agree that AotC does have a better storyline, but it does not get interesting until around an hour into it. As with TPM, it suffers from momentary lapses in pace, where one minute you could take a nap and the next it gets interesting.

Ever seen the interaction between Qui-Gon, Anakin, Shmi, Obi-Wan, Palpatine?

Yes, I did, but again when they are compared against the scenes with Luke, The Emperor, Vader, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Leia, they look poor.

Maybe if this film was a stand alone I may have enjoyed it alot more, but everytime a new Star Wars film is released, comparisons will be made with the Original Trilogy.

IMO. ;)

25. elfnmatrix

elfnmatrix Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2003
    TPM-6.5
    the lighsaber fights are great...and the concept is good...its just the movie didn't capitalize
    AOTC-8
    very fun movie...I have NEVER seen an audience react so well...everyone was cheering during Yoda's fight...very fun movie
    ANH-7.5
    Great movie its just a little slow and some really rotten effects...
    ESB-9
    Awesome movie -not much wrong with this
    ROTJ-8.5
    Only bad parts were Ewoks and some really bad dialouge...an awesome ending tho'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.