main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The RATING Thread of all SW MOVIES>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by mattalgrand, Aug 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I love all the episodes pretty much the same, but if I had to absolutely rank them in terms of enjoyment and tone:

1. Attack of the Clones
    2. A New Hope
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. The Phantom Menace
    5. The Empire Strikes Back

2. MadStylePimpDog

MadStylePimpDog Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2003
    I usually try to look at the saga as one complete work, but I can still try to rank them. Rather then score them each individually, I will rate them each with 1 being the best and 5 being the worst.
    1. Empire Strikes Back
    Still the darkest of the series (until Episode 3 at least). This one shows the Empire at the height of its power. The galaxy is being torn apart as the character's are struggling to find someway for success. This shows why the story is being told...it explains why the Imperial take over is such a significant event in the Star Wars Universe.
    2. A New Hope
    As far as character development, this is the best one. All of the main charactes are such amazing and diverse personalities. Seeing Luke gradually discover his fate is still moving for me.
    3. Attack Of The Clones
    Finally seeing the Clone Wars was amazing. The epic battles during the final 40 minutes are some of the best action scenes ever filmed. I love the Jango fight and the Yoda-Dooku duel as well. It still isn't as strong in character development as the OT movies, but the action is unsurpassed.
    4. Return Of The Jedi
    This one would be ranked higher if it wasn't the ewoks...still the most glaring problem with the OT. Even so, the space battle is the best in the series and everything involving the Emperor is perfect. Vader's sacrifice is the crowning moment of the saga. Too bad we have to watch it interspersed with the Ewok action.
    5. The Phantom Menace
    The ending lightsaber battle is wonderful, and the action throughout is well done. Still, with the exception of Qui-Gon, the characters are rather dry. I find this film aging remarkably well. After seeing Episode 3, it will probably be a lot better. Episode 1 is part of the story that needs to be told, and Lucas did a fine job doing it. Granted, it's not the most interesting part of the story.

3. FalconInToronto

FalconInToronto Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2003
    Out of ten I would have to say...

ANH = 9
    ESB = 10
    ROTJ = 8.5
    TPM = 7
    AOTC = 7.5

4. sweeeet

sweeeet Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    OK here I go...

Phantom Menace - 7/10 - I dunno, I watched it and felt it was Star Wars, but not in the classic sense, too political... but it's setting a story up, and I like political stories! I can see once the whole Saga is complete, this movie going up in my estimation. When I left the cinema, felt mixed emotions, didn't know if I loved it or felt let down... Best saber duel of all the movies so far though.

Attack of the Clones - 8/10 - After Episode 1, my expectations had lowered. The CGI, perhaps too much for me, but it had more of the classic feel and I thought it was an excellent movie. Only negative was I'd like to have seen Anakin further down his path by the end of the film. Good action though, amazing end battle.

A New Hope - 10/10 - It's STAR WARS. What can I say???

Empire Strikes Back - 10/10 - Got to say this is my personal favourite, as with many people. The Hoth Battle, brilliant. The duel between Vader and Luke, brilliant. I can't fault this movie.

Return of the Jedi - 7/10 - If it wasn't for the end with Palps, Vader and Luke, this would score much much lower for me. I don't think much of the Jabba's palace opening, apart from the Sarlaac part, and how Jabba refers to Chewie as "wanky Chewbacca". Ewoks - urgh. Cutesy cutesy. Perhaps when I was younger, this may have been my fave but now I think it is a weak ending to a brilliant story.

Thats it.

5. ivylore2

ivylore2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2001
    Okay... ranking the films, #1 being what I consider the best

1. ESB
    2. SW
    3. AOTC
    4. ROTJ
    4. TPM

6. anakinsrightarm

anakinsrightarm Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    5-star rating *****

The Phantom Menace - ****1/2
    Like some here, I don't see the weaknesses derailing this film. It's well-acted and is an excellent set up for the entire saga. Liam Neeson is great as Qui Gon. The saber battle is still the best of the saga so far. Was a bit disappointed with the overuse of Jar Jar, but liked the character nevertheless.

Attack Of The Clones - *****
    Brilliant story....excellent foreshadowing. Wonderful sense of "whodunit" throughout. I knew from Padme's bedroom scene at the beginning, the tone of the movie was RIGHT. I even enjoy the love story.

A New Hope - ****
    Wonderful segue into the original trilogy. Great performances throughout. Wonderful sense of whimsy watching this film.

The Empire Strikes Back - *****
    Still the best of the series. Best overall combination of story, atmosphere, acting and direction. Perhaps the best sequel of all time.

Return Of The Jedi - ***1/2
    The weakest of the series overall but still highly satisfying. The prequels have made the Luke/Vader/Emperor scene that much stronger.

7. darthsidious32

darthsidious32 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    The Phantom Menace: 8/10
    Attack of the Clones: 9/10
    A New Hope: 8/10
    The Empire Strikes Back: 9/10
    Return of the Jedi: 8/10

In my opinion, all of the Star Wars films have their strengths and weaknesses. But I think TPM is really underrated, usually by people from ages 16-25. AOTC is not AS underrated, but it's still underrated. ANH and ESB are judged pretty well(although ESB had no resolution to it whatsoever), but ROTJ's ewoks are unjustly maligned. However, ROTJ is the least original of all the films.

8. JMax

JMax Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2003
    TPM - 8 (I don't mind it slower paced. What, fireworks aren't supposed to be impressive in the beginning. You have to lay the tracks down. Liam and Ian carry the movie.)

AOTC - 6 (Aside from ObiWan and Palps, none of the characters do anything to make us care more about them. Natalie's acting actually makes her care about her less.)

ANH - 10 (Call me old-school, but this movie really has it all. Old fashioned adventure, great wipes and ALL THE ACTORS are carrying the movie. Who cares that Chewbacca can move the trash compactor wall.)

ESB - 10 (Snowwalkers were so radical. Almost as radical as ANH's space battles. We learn about the force and truly begin to appreciate it's importance in the movies. ANH didn't do that yet. Cloud City was radical as well. Frozen in carbonite! The acting starts to show hints of boredom.)

ROTJ - 4 (Could Luke look more bored in Jabba's palace? Only if he were Carrie Fisher in Jabba's palace. Aside from a fun speeder bike scene and Ian's fresh acting, the acting kills whatever pace and excitement in the film.)

9. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    To keep it simple

A New Hope 9/10

The Empire Strikes Back 9/10

Return of the Jedi 9/10

The Phantom Menace 9/10

Attack of the Clones 9/10

10. c2b1

c2b1 Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2003
    The Empire Strikes Back 10/10
    A New Hope 10/10
    Return of the Jedi 9/10
    Attack of the Clones 7/10
    The Phantom Menace 5/10

11. Jedi-Monkey

Jedi-Monkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    My RATINGS:

ANH - PG
    TESB - PG
    ROTJ - PG
    TPM - PG
    AOTC - PG

12. The_JediMaster

The_JediMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2002
    ANH - 9/10 - Amazing. Simply amazing
    ESB - 10/10 - Beyond perfect
    ROTJ - 8/10 - Those stupid stupid ewoks
    TPM - 8/10 - That stupid stupid Jar Jar
    AOTC - 8/10 - Those boring love scenes.

13. UsErOfThEFaRcE

UsErOfThEFaRcE Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 10, 2003
    wow a thread with no flaming :D

TPM:6/10-

*Jar Jar and Boss Nass Screwed movie up for me*

AotC:8/10-*Very good although most characters cant show any emotion whatsoever*

ANH:9/10*C3P0 and R2D2 tatooine scene was unneeded crap*

ESB:10/10-*[Mr.Burns]Excellent[/Mr.Burns]

RotJ:50/10-*Emperor scene was the best scene in starwars history!*

14. DuoDemon

DuoDemon Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    1. ANH 10/10
    I can't get over the Battle of Yavin.

2. ESB 9/10
    The middle's a tad slow, but I still love it.

3. ROTJ 7.5/10
    Ewoks. Han/Jabba deal lasted a little long. Ewoks.

4. AOTC 7/10
    Bad love story. Gets a little slow in the middle. The speeder chase lasts too long.

5. TPM 6/10
    Way too slow for me. Portman's acting is very wooden.

15. GrandMasterJay

GrandMasterJay Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 24, 2003
    I'll be ranking my picks on a scale of 10. Ten being the best, one being the worst.

1. TPM (4/10) Overall I thought this movie was a waste of film. It had so much potential to be great but I was really let down. I expected Obi-wan and Anakin to have larger roles in this one yet I was wrong. Queen Amidala along with the rest of the Jedi Council just flat out bore me to death. No personality whatsoever, and bad acting from all of them. They managed to screw up Yoda, the puppet used was horrendous and looked nothing like the little green one we love from the OT.

The bright spots were obviously Qui-Gon, Darth Maul, and Palpatine. Being the first episode they introduced Paply very well, didn't over work his character, just made it known to us that he was there in the background setting the stage for the rest of the PT. Darth Maul, need I say more...
    Qui-Gon, by far Neeson was the best actor in the movie, and also carried the weight of the movie with him. In my opinion, Lucas should really take another look at this film and give us the justice we deserve.

Take out Jar Jar (I wish), shorten the Tatooine sequence, give Obi-wan more screen time, and please redo Yoda!!!

2. AOTC (7/10) I was rather pleased with this one. From the very beginning of the movie, you could already notice the difference in mood and content of the film apart from the TPM. Which I might add, was much needed. They couldn't have picked a better actor than Hayden to play Anakin Skywalker, in which they saved the PT with the casting of him. And Obi-wan played his role to a T.

The fighting and chase sequences were done well and were actually exciting to watch. Yoda vs. Dooku was a welcomed surprise. CGI clearly dominated the movie though, I wish Lucas would have toned it down a bit, but oh well, can't make everyone happy.

3. ANH (8/10) The episode that started it all. Great cast, good story, and not bad for the effects from that time. Clearly now they need some rework done, but overall this was fairly well done.

4. ESB (9/10) Clearly the best story out of the entire saga, so far. Didn't rely on the action sequences to really sell it. Although they were pretty sweet. The duel with Vader/Luke was just awesome, still in my opinion the best duel ever. However, the Dagobah sequence and Millenium Falcon hide and seek game w/the Star Destroyers still makes me sleepy.

But no scene in the movie is really wasted. Obviously now there are some continuity issues with the actor that played the Emperor back then, but I'm guessing this will all be fixed when the AE edition comes out. Cudos to all who had a hand in this film.

5. ROTJ (7/10) I liked this one just as much as AOTC. However it felt much of the story was just regurgitated stuff from ESB, and it had no originality. Finally getting to see the emperor up close was definitely sweet, and of course the climatic duel at the end was nothing short of heart pounding. Till this day, everytime I watch the Luke/Anakin scene just before he dies, I keep hoping he will make it and return with Luke to help him and the alliance restore freedom to the galaxy, but sadly this never happens.

Luke finally becomes a Jedi, fulfilling his destiny. Yoda goes out well, calm and at peace, and revealing to Luke what has been kept secret from him all this time. And the space battle was very well done. However I would have to voice a complaint about the Ewoks. Them beating up on Storm Troopers is not very believable. Oh well, I guess we'll get our Wookies in Ep. III then!!!

6. Episode III if the spoilers are any indication, I think this episode will clearly blow the rest of the episodes out of the water. It will have the most action of all the films, it will be the darkest, and we'll finally see the painful transformation of Anakin into Vader. Who wouldn't want to see that?!!!! So for now I'm giving it my early blessing with a 10/10. But we will just have to see how it plays out.

16. Ryloth_bounty_hunter

Ryloth_bounty_hunter Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2003
    out of ten, one being the lowest

TPM:8
    AOTC:10
    all of the OT:10000000000etc.

17. Soulboy

Soulboy Jedi Youngling

Nov 12, 2003
    A NEW HOPE (8/10)
    - Timeless
    - Luke is a whining wuss...who needs a haircut
    - Funny effects mistakes, which are still present in the SE

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (8/10)
    - Love the Hoth battle
    - Vader rocks
    - Would have loved to see more of the bounty hunters

RETURN OF THE JEDI (9/10)
    - Still the best space battle of ANY movie
    - Gripping and emotional final confrontation between Luke and Vader

THE PHANTOM MENACE (7/10)
    - No need for Jar-Jar
    - Sound effects could have been more creative
    - Darth Maul rocked!

ATTACK OF THE CLONES (9/10)
    - Loved the Clones and final battle
    - Mace kicked butt!
    - Yoda finally put his saber where is mouth is

18. Compactor_3263827

Compactor_3263827 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2003
    A New Hope - (7/10) - During the original viewing the opening droid scenes were great. But after a few times...the seem to drag on...and on...and on. Once They reach Luke things speed up nicely. No Imperial March for Vader's entrance...that sucks. And let's not forget the geriatric lightsaber battle.

The Empire Strikes Back - (10/10) By far the coolest of the series. Nice and dark, just the way I like it. Left you with a strand of uncertainty at the end (at least during the first viewing). And all topped off with the "I am your father" bit. I still get chills when I watch it.

Return of the Jedi - (9/10) Great, great movie. Jabba's palace and the Sarlacc scenes were nice. I liked the Endor scenes and I really don't see what people have against the Ewoks. Ian McDiarmid's performance as the Emperor was flawless. The Throne Room battle was cool, as well as very moving.

The Phantom Menace - (7/10) - Jar Jar was slightly annoying. I go to sleep during all the political mumbo jumbo. A lot of the Tatooine scenes leading up to the podrace are pretty boring as well. Fortunately, the pod race as well as the completely awesome Darth Maul fight squence redeem the movie.

Attack of the Clones - (8/10) - Yoda fighting. Yoda fighting. Yoda fighting! Palpatine is beginning to gain his creepiness from ROTJ and his friendship with Anakin is executed very well. Excellent action sequences. The Battle of Geonosis rocked my socks. Mace Windu's fight scene with Jango is a bit too anti-climactic for my taste. Also, the love scenes. The fire place scene was just too....ugh. If it weren't for those, it would be on par with ESB.

Episode III - (10/10) - ...we'll see.

19. Qui-Gon-Jinn2

Qui-Gon-Jinn2 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 10, 2002
    1. TPM 7/10
    2. AOTC 8/10
    3. NH 8/10
    4. ESB 10/10
    5. ROTJ 10/10

20. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    1. ESB

Reasons: It went beyond what ANH did. Wasnt a rehash of anything. It gave more mystique to the Force and the Jedi. You get to see ol Yoda and it was funny. Great love story (much better thant the PT one). Best acted SW so far. Cool locations. Luke was great. 2nd Best lightsaber fight in the SW saga behind TPM. And the #1 reason: VADER! This movie made Vader the best movie villain of all time. His continous presence throughout the movie added to the movie - sense of dread (something the PT is severly lacking.

2. ANH

The original. The one that started it all. Love the beginning and how they set everything up. Han Solo rocked in this movie, along with Tarkin and Obi! Just too much to say about it. Lots of people love the ROTJ space battle, but I prefer this one because it is more personable, and I love the fact you dont cut away to something else happening...adds to the importance and urgency of everything. IMO, this has the best soundtrack as well out of the bunch too. Love the medal ceremony at the end....best ending of a SW movie IMO.

3. ROTJ

I love the beginning with Jabba. Again, love how Luke is more grown up in this movie. I love the Luke Vs. Vader stuff with Palpy. Palpy owned this movie! :) Everything is great...action is great. Reason its #3 is the Ewoks. I dont mind them, but them beating up Stormies is ridiculous. Having them cause a distraction...fine and great! But let the Rebels take out the rest. What happened to the Rebel party on Endor??? Another major beef: Where was Han Solo? He did squat. No wonder Harrison Ford hates SW.

4. TPM

I love the beginning of the film up to when Har Har arrives. I love the character of Qui-Gon. It was wonderful focusing in on someone new instead of just Obi and Anakin...something different. I love the political manipulation with Palpy and Padme. Best lightsaber fight yet. Maul ruled. Problems: Film drags in the middle quite a lot. Didnt like how Obi just beat Maul by flipping over him. The "other" battle scenes were fairly boring, even though they were visually well done. Boss Nass is just terrible. And while I did laugh at some Jar Jar scenes, he was in this movie waaaay to much. Could have had some Anakin and Obi scenes in there instead.

5. AOTC

While this may feel more like a SW movie that TPM, I enjoyed it less. I did like the fact that Obi goes off on his own and does stuff, but again, no Anakin and Obi. That sucks. The beginning of this movie is ok, and while visually stunning, I didnt find the chase scene through Coruscant to be wildly entertaining. The love scenes in this movie are the worst scenes/sequences yet in a SW movie. The acting is the worst (aside from Obi). And the big prob of this movie is the lack of a consistent bad guy. Jango is nothing. Dooku being throughout the whole movie would have been better. Just seeing him at the end is not enough. I wasnt crazy about Yoda using a lightsaber. And I think the lightsaber fights in this movie are visually stunning, yet lack the emotion/intensity of every other fight (including ANH). Oh yeah...WHERE WAS PALPY?? Not seeing more of him really ticked me off. Arena battle and arena creatures were nice though...although the Jedi do look like they dont have enough skills (other than the main characters - watch the background of the arena battle).

21. DOOKUKOOD

DOOKUKOOD Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2003
    TPM-9
    AOTC-10
    III-10 hopefully
    ANH-7
    ESB-8
    ROTJ-9

22. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    The Phantom Meance = 6/10
    Attack of the Clones = 8/10
    -------------------------
    A New Hope = 9/10
    The Empire Strikes Back = 7.5/10
    Return of the Jedi = 9.5/10

I enjoy the movies, but nothing is perfect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.