main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The rating? - Updated: PG-13

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Seagoat, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    Sci Fi Action Violence... wow no duh MPAA... thanks for nothing! ;)

Also, interesting side note: AOTC was given PG for Sustained sequences of sci-fi action violence...but that sounds harsher than "Sci-fi action violence". (?)

Obi-Wan Catnobi and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  2. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    No surprise. The MPAA can be really weird for what they rate movies on. One of the things listed under the PG-13 rating for Alien VS Predator is "slime". [face_dunno]

3. DV-213

DV-213 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 18, 2014
    I saw today that it got a swedish 11-years rating.

(And also that the running time is 2 hours and 16 minutes, but that might have been known earlier?)

4. Sir2lazyThe2nd

Sir2lazyThe2nd Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 13, 2015
    We already knew beforehand that the runtime is 2 hours 16 minutes

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    6 min of that is probably credits so I'ma guessing 2:10 is the actual movie-ing length. Kept it under an hour and a half, good for you JJ! (I think my original bet was 2 hrs 15 min and I took the under, off by a minute!)

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah I thought 2:10-15 would be the length too. Glad they're sticking with about the standard episode length. Not too short, not too drawn out!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013

I remember having a few good laughs when one of the reasons for The Clone Wars's PG rating was "momentary smoking"... :p

Saga Explorer, Lazy K and Dinos4Ever like this.
  8. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Just under 8.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. thesloth1327

thesloth1327 Jedi Padawan

Dec 13, 2015
    The MPAA took massive heat with "The Dark Knight" getting pg-13 when many parental groups felt it deserved R. Since then I think they are being very careful. By making it PG-13 it is up to the parent to decide if their kid is ready for the film.

In Canada it will be PG since most R rated films get 14A in Canada. The one exception is horror where a PG-13 in the US can get 14A in Canada.

10. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    [face_laugh] Wow, really? There's hardly any swearing, and most disturbing thing is Two-Face's burns. Heck, Titanic and Avatar both are a harder PG-13 than TDK, and those two got away with nip-slips. Heck, Jaws is almost worse than TDK, and that one is PG! (Though, to be fair, it's an R film edited to be PG).

Obi-Wan Catnobi likes this.
  11. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    It was a classic PG film. There was no need to + the 13.

Obi-Wan Catnobi likes this.
  12. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Maybe I'm just being like a soccer mom here, but I think it was. There was a significantly higher amount of blood in this one, plus the uses of "hell" and "dammit"
    Those are really my only major complaints about TFA. They seem forced in for the sake of bumping up the rating. Remove the bit of the dead stormtrooper's blood getting on Finn and I practically guarantee it would have been PG

Before someone brings up the blood in ANH - PG-13 did not exist in '77
    And the blood and "damn" in AOTC - frankly I'd have given in PG-13 if not just for Jango's decapitation lol

Sarge likes this.
  13. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    I feel like the close up of Finn's friend dieing while wiping the blood on Finn's helmet is what pushed the PG-13 rating. The previous movies had usage of Hell and damn, and they got PG ratings.

AmySolo likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Kylo impaling a certain someone was pretty brutal, up there with some the more disturbing bits of lightsaber violence we've seen in the series. If anything, I'd say that was the PG-13 kicker moreso than the blood on Finn's helmet.

AmySolo likes this.
  15. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Qui-Gon was impaled as well. Only not such a huge deal was made over it, as Maul quickly pulled his saber out to focus on Obi-Wan

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    True dat. Qui-Gon getting impaled is really quick, and you only really see what happened on the wide shot. It's more about how unexpected it is. With Kylo's victim it ... lingers. For awhile. Which totally fits the emotion of the moment but I'd say by Star Wars standards of gruesome is about a notch underneath Obi-Wan taking out Anakin on Mustafar.

17. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I have debated the MPAA ratings at the "Scum & Villainy" website many times (a.k.a. IMDB).

Right now we have G, PG, PG-13, R, NC-17 & NR (not rated, unrated)

I think we need something between PG & PG-13.

Time 4 a say PG 9 or PG 10

If u think about it most SW movies fit between PG & PG-13.

18. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I find myself agreeing there

There's a certain wall between 10 and 13 for sure, and yet what most 10 or 11 year olds could handle, I can't say all 6 year olds could handle