main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Razer Edge - a gaming tablet/pc/console hybrid

Discussion in 'Community' started by DebonaireNerd, Mar 12, 2013.

1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I've been following the development of this device for a little while and have been mixed given the limited information. But, as of early 2013 the Razer Edge has a lot more to show for itself and it's damn impressive.

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/razer-edge/4505-3121_7-35561052.html

In short, think of a gaming tablet with USB 3 outputs, an HDMI connection, running on Windows 8 with a mean set of specs (see below) plus also has capacity for gaming controllers to be used.

There are two models, a base model and a pro model, take a look:

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-edge-pro

2. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I don't like the wordplay. So screw them! Not interested.

3. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Too close a shave, eh?

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Eh, the GT640 (the desktop version, I'm guessing the "M" version is similar or worse) isn't good enough for a "gaming tablet." In fact, it's pretty basic. Yeah, the specs are amazing for a tablet, but is it worth the extra hundreds of dollars over a much better desktop or even notebook computer? If all you want to do is **** around on Angry Birds, get a cheaper tablet. If you want a "gaming" platform, I think less money + better hardware points toward the more conventional route.

5. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I have to agree with Darth Guy.

6. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    More excited about the Steam box personally but the Razer Edge does look pretty cool.

7. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Apparently the "Steam Box" isn't the dedicated Steam gaming device we thought it was. That is at least when it concerns Xi3 Piston. The steam box is still in development by Gearbox, it seems there was confusion as to The Piston being the Steam Box, it's not. So the specs and details of the Steam Box are totally unknown.

8. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    I thought this was going to be an old wrestling reference.

Guy - Is portability important to hardcore gamers?

(mobile sock of s65horsey)

9. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Ahhh interesting, I had no clue about that. [face_thinking]

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I wouldn't consider myself a "hardcore gamer," but I don't think portability (especially because the battery life is and always will be awful until a new kind of battery is invented) is more important than capability, and the Razer Edge falls short.

11. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    We don't serve your kind here.

12. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Nor did the entire gaming community. This has only been revealed this week and it's come as a big shock, especially to those who wanted to pre-order. Here's a quick run down:

http://blog.games.com/2013/03/14/valve-distances-itself-from-piston-xi3-begs-to-differ/

13. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    What about AC adaptors? I've never been one to play while in transit on public transport, I personally think it's too dangerous. What attracts me about mobile gaming is the ability to take it to work, University and on holidays, so it speaks to me. Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me that the limited battery life is somewhat deliberate so they can comfortably promote their accessories like battery packs and AC adaptors.