JCC The Razer Edge - a gaming tablet/pc/console hybrid

Discussion in 'Community' started by TryWhistlingThis, Mar 12, 2013.

1. TryWhistlingThis Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I've been following the development of this device for a little while and have been mixed given the limited information. But, as of early 2013 the Razer Edge has a lot more to show for itself and it's damn impressive.

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/razer-edge/4505-3121_7-35561052.html

In short, think of a gaming tablet with USB 3 outputs, an HDMI connection, running on Windows 8 with a mean set of specs (see below) plus also has capacity for gaming controllers to be used.

There are two models, a base model and a pro model, take a look:

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-edge-pro

2. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    I don't like the wordplay. So screw them! Not interested.
  3. TryWhistlingThis Jedi Grand Master

star 4
  4. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Eh, the GT640 (the desktop version, I'm guessing the "M" version is similar or worse) isn't good enough for a "gaming tablet." In fact, it's pretty basic. Yeah, the specs are amazing for a tablet, but is it worth the extra hundreds of dollars over a much better desktop or even notebook computer? If all you want to do is **** around on Angry Birds, get a cheaper tablet. If you want a "gaming" platform, I think less money + better hardware points toward the more conventional route.
  5. Violent Violet Menace Force Ghost

star 4
    I have to agree with Darth Guy.
  6. darthhelinith Force Ghost

star 5
    More excited about the Steam box personally but the Razer Edge does look pretty cool.
  7. TryWhistlingThis Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Apparently the "Steam Box" isn't the dedicated Steam gaming device we thought it was. That is at least when it concerns Xi3 Piston. The steam box is still in development by Gearbox, it seems there was confusion as to The Piston being the Steam Box, it's not. So the specs and details of the Steam Box are totally unknown.
  8. ma_petite Force Ghost

star 3
    I thought this was going to be an old wrestling reference.

Guy - Is portability important to hardcore gamers?

(mobile sock of s65horsey)
  9. darthhelinith Force Ghost

star 5
    Ahhh interesting, I had no clue about that. [face_thinking]
  10. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    I wouldn't consider myself a "hardcore gamer," but I don't think portability (especially because the battery life is and always will be awful until a new kind of battery is invented) is more important than capability, and the Razer Edge falls short.
  11. mrsvos Force Ghost

star 5
    We don't serve your kind here.
  12. TryWhistlingThis Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Nor did the entire gaming community. This has only been revealed this week and it's come as a big shock, especially to those who wanted to pre-order. Here's a quick run down:

http://blog.games.com/2013/03/14/valve-distances-itself-from-piston-xi3-begs-to-differ/
  13. TryWhistlingThis Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    What about AC adaptors? I've never been one to play while in transit on public transport, I personally think it's too dangerous. What attracts me about mobile gaming is the ability to take it to work, University and on holidays, so it speaks to me. Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me that the limited battery life is somewhat deliberate so they can comfortably promote their accessories like battery packs and AC adaptors.