main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The reaction to the Rogue One Vader scene is exactly what Lucas wanted to avoid in ROTS

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Nerdling, Apr 20, 2017.

1. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    this is such nonsense. i always saw vader as a human being with feelings and i grew up with the OT. that vader is a powerful force of death does produce a sense of awe. that doesn't mean i think people should behave like vader. i also think that if one appreciates vader as a human being with feelings, one must appreciate that he is full of rage and hatred (dark side after all).

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  2. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Dear @Darth Nerdling often I've appreciated your posts, so I'm going to provide my thoughts on that scene as the massive PT fan that I am, I LOVE IT!

I will post my of the R1 boards since I feel stiffer than usual tonight to illustrate my point:

To me, R1 really solidified my view on what Anakin's role within the Empire...and it sucks. While as Vader he's the face of the Empire and synonym of fear, he has no real power within his "inner circle" and he represents a system that at the core he hates as its run by truly sadistic people. I feel that in his own way he may have attempted to thwarted the Empire in any way he could - like with the DS in my opinion- knowing nobody would ever know. It may be unpopular interpretation, but by the end the movie I was grieving for him as well.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  3. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    I look at the duel in ANH between Kenobi and Vader as it was more of an armed conversation between the two rather than a contest of their skill with a lightsaber.

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I haven't read this entire thread, I read the original post and I have to say, I was not "entertained" or thrilled by this scene in Rogue One. I was horrified. I felt like Vader was like Michael Myers or something. Just completely horrified. I think that is how I would imagine scenes of him slaughtering Jedi as well, except of course they would probably put up a bit more of a fight. But I mean I think it does fit with where he is as a character at that point in Rogue One. His humanity is gone. The light is buried so far down inside him that we shouldn't see the humanity that we do see, even after he does horrific things, in ROTS.

I have no issue with Lucas' depiction in ROTS and I have no issue with the depiction in Rogue One into the Original Trilogy. They're not in conflict with each other at all, in my view.