Read, PA The Reading PA Website!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Crazed_Ewok, Mar 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazed_Ewok Jedi Youngling

star 3
    YES! I have FINALLY started on the site. I don't have much done, but I'd like to get your opinion on it.

(just a note, it works better with IE users because it temporarily installs the Star Jedi font on your computer if you do not have it. If you are NOT using IE, it might make the navigational bar look a little crappy, but it's nothing major.)

RRS
  2. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Thanks for posting this, Crazed. I saw the process of it and it looks great so far. :)

Just a note: the image in the middle I'm hoping to make our official logo. I was fooling around with different designs and I think this one is the best by far.
  3. Skidder Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Let us know when it is going to be up.
  4. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Hey there, Skidder.

Crazed is hard at work on it as I type this. I'll be sure to let you know when it's presentable enough or close to being finished. ;)
  5. Crazed_Ewok Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Yes, Crazed is ;)

I hate positioning!
  6. jedimasterbryan Jedi Youngling

star 1
    looks good to me, nice animated buttons
  7. Crazed_Ewok Jedi Youngling

star 3
    *Update*

Just a note, within a few days it's quite possible you could see our site starting to use JavaScript, which is interactive and more personalizeable (I think :p )
  8. Skidder Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Keep up the good work.
  9. Crazed_Ewok Jedi Youngling

star 3
    *Update*

The website has been upgraded to XHTML 1.0, which is the new HTML standard...the main point in that is allow the website to be compadible with new browers as the times go on. Not very important, but hey, at least I'm planning for the future ;)

Other notes: Spread from one central file to two central files...browser compadiblity issue with the font d/ling. Once again, not very important.

No visible change in the site due to the XHTML upgrade...don't expect anything new from it. I did do some minor tweaks, though, such as adding a "under construction" thing and a little horizontal bar below the banner.

Future of the site
    Here's a brief outline of what I'm planning to do in the near future:

¤ Incorporate JavaScript into the site, which will increase the interactivety. Progress: This is for sure

¤ Learn PHP and install it into the server. I'm not sure how exactly this will benefit the site. As time goes on and we get more members, it should allow us to have things such as signing up automatically for the newsletter, guestbooks, stuff like that. Progress: This is rather far off

¤ Purchasing a dedicated server...since our FF is, well, broke, this probably won't happen. As we grow, it'd be good if we could get our own server, since I'm using my ISP webspace right now. A purchased server would have whatever name we choose and most likely more space. Since we have no money, though, we're gonna have to stick with what we got for now. Progress: Possible, but won't happen for awhile

Site feedback

Now I'd like to take some suggestions for the site...I've been consulting with Han on what to have in it (such as pages), but since this is a site for a FanForce, I'd like to have some feedback from you guys...what would you like to see in the site? (keep in mind, though, the site is limited by my abilitites and the server, but I'll try to do what you suggest ;) )
  10. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Um, right...whatever that gibberish was that you just posted. I trust that you're doing the right thing, though. :p

Anyway, you already have my feedback and I'm looking forward to future updates. :)

11. Crazed_Ewok Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Sorry...let me dumb that info down a little :p

I edited the site for evil browsers that don't like the site (namely Netscape 4). I upgraded the code so it doesn't disappear into a black hole in the future. :p
  12. Crazed_Ewok Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Another update:

Concerning what I mentioned about PHP...I've been informed by a friend of mine that we have three options about that...

1) We use a Apache server, which is free and which would run off of my computer. This is pretty decent except for the fact that the website would actually be an IP address (IE: 100.01.100.23) and it would actually change as I shut my computer on and off.

2) We purchase a dedicated web server with the PHP software installed. This needs money and our funds = $0, so this won't be happening.

3) I have upload space on a gaming site that I am staff in. It has PHP installed and would be free for us, but I would rather not do this since it would have a address like cgnetwork.net/staff/crazed/whatever. This isn't a very good solution, since the site that has my upload space might not exsist for much longer.

So, it seems PHP is out of the question for now. I think we'll be able to get along without it.

If you had no idea what I was talking about, don't worry, it's nothing important.
  13. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    This needs money and our funds = $0, so this won't be happening.

That, my friend, can change...

14. Crazed_Ewok Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Oh? Planning to rob a bank? :p
  15. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Although a good idea, I wouldn't stoop that low. :p

I just think that since we're starting to grow (starting the website, etc)that we should really start to consider some form of fund. Especially if we are to purchase t-shirts, banners, attend C3 or other conventions in the future.

16. Crazed_Ewok Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Perhaps, but hosting can get pretty expensive...especially if only less than 10 people is gonna view it...we should just stick with free until we grow enough.

Anyway....

Update

I've added a news system to the site. It's not really a system, you still have to manually edit the stuff, but it'll do for now. You can see the main news area right on the homepage

There's a new system that I like most, it's a thing for submitting information to the webmaster (me!). It can be used for commenting about the site OR signing up for the newsletter. You can try out the comments area here

A few layout changes and such, implemented a bit of JavaScript, once again, nothing major. Still some bugs, though. Please tell me how the site looks on your browser and resolution (you can try out that comment form I just mentioned above ;))
  17. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Looking great, Crazed! Keep it up! :D
  18. Crazed_Ewok Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Updates

The site is being implemented with JavaScript rather quickly. It now precides over some of the feedback submission. I would greatly appreciate if everyone took this time to at least look over the feedback page and try out its various features. Tell me how easy it is for you to figure out what to do. Be warned, though, that the form submission program seems to be down. Don't blame me, blame Verizon.

Future plans

Currently, I'm thinking about making a log-in area for members of the FanForce display exactly what they want to see. However, I'm not exactly sure how to do this using our currently limited resources (JavaScript). I still hope to use PHP in the future, but there are reasons against that decision listed above in the other posts.

Please, guys, I'd really like to get some more feedback on this. And member profiles, if you'd be so kind :)

Remember, the site is located at this location
  19. Crazed_Ewok Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Update

Some great news, guys! :D

Through my friends at CGN, I think I have found an ideal solution for our hosting needs!

The plan I'm viewing gives us 250 megabytes of space, which is MORE than enough. We'd probably only use 10 MB of that. It has FTP accounts, which means it MIGHT be possible to give each member some webspace of their own. I'll get back to you guys on that.

The bandwidth is 3 gigabytes per month. If you don't understand anything that I'm saying, the bandwidth is the transfer of files from the website's web server to the person who views it.

Now, I'm not expecting much traffic at all, this being a local site, so this is probably more than enough. If 5 people view the site every other day, which will probably be about 3 MB transfers in total per user, and a gigabyte being 1000 MBs...well, you do the math. 3000 MB with 3 users every other day looking at it each using 10 MB.
    That's about 555 MB being used. And if we need more space, we can upgrade to another plan.

It supports PHP, MySQL and a bunch of other stuff. Don't worry, this is just stuff I need and doesn't really concern you. :p

My contacts at CGN use this provider and say that it is extremly reliable. The only time it's been down in two months was 15 minutes, I believe.

Best part of all, the plan is only $3 per month! This means that I (and?) Han could pay this by ourselves...will you split with me, Han? :p

We would also, however, have to pay $10 a year to actually register the name of the site. Han and I could still probably split this. (Unlesss she'd rather have me pay it all :p )

I've discussed this with Han and she seems to like it, I'd just like your input, guys...do you think this'd be good for the FanForce?

20. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Like I said before, this is a good idea and has the potential to work. What we need now, is feedback from everyone else. Just drop on in here and let us know what you think. :)
  21. Crazed_Ewok Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Well, for now, I think I'm gonna move all files over to my CGN space...now, it's basically a long file name...unfortunately...but it's possible I can get my boss (he lives up in...meh, somewhere with hills, I forget :p ) to link us off the page...or I can just keep it stored in my files, which is what I think I'll do...that way, I can have unlimited space (unless he gets angry with me :p) and PHP crap...we can stick with that until we can get a domain.
  22. Crazed_Ewok Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Oh...it turns out CGN closed down today...um...hmm.
  23. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Closed down? Then what's your plan?
  24. Crazed_Ewok Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I really don't have one...I have to translate a subsite since the boss made another site for designing web stuff...I might be able to get upload space again.
  25. Crazed_Ewok Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Um, yea, if anyone's alive here, I have another update...I don't think we have to worry any more about the site's future in ways of domain name and hosting...

http://readingff.cubanhacker.net is the new address, with a BIG thanks to one of my friends for allowing me to use his space AND also giving me a subdomain name. It has PHP and all that stuff that'll make it good ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.