main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN The Reading Room: "Heir to the Empire"

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jedi Trace, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    .....drum roll.....

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away

<cue Star Wars Main Theme>

HEIR TO THE EMPIRE

The book that, unofficially, started it all ? introducing us to the fledgling New Republic, the blue-skinned, red-eyed Chiss, the deadly Noghri, and a clone that just ain?t right.

It is here that we meet the now-iconic Grand Admiral Thrawn; the sophisticated smuggler/information broker extraordinaire, Talon Karrde; the Bothan opportunist, Borsk Fey?lya; the last true Imperial, Gilad Pellaeon; and the woman whose name alone can turn any given Lit thread into a river of flame...the ever-controversial, Mara Jade.

Join Luke, Han, Leia and Chewbacca as they battle ruthless Imperials, devious politicians, insane Jedi Masters and Morning Sickness.....well, just Leia on that last one.

(Whew! Was that over-the-top?) [face_blush]

OK, so, anybody reading? I'm up to chapter 9. Not a whole lot happening beyond setting the stage, but it's fun "meeting" these characters again.

For those reading, let us know where you are so we can mark spoilers.

2. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    I'm somewhere around the 100-page mark.

TUF is on my front burner right now.

3. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    I'm like at chapter 5 or so. One thing I noticed and thought I'd mention, is that Zahn makes several references to the time around the Clone Wars which makes me wonder if he has been planning how' he'd write a book in that era since HttE. He is suppose to be writing a prequel book about the outbound flight project I woner if he'll mention the Dark jedi from Bpfassh in it.

4. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Yeah, it's gotta be weird now for the authors who wrote about the obscure "clone wars" years before they ever became 'real/cannon' in movies.

Survivor's Quest, Zahn's book about the Outbound Flight project, is coming out in February and takes place between Vision of the Future and Vector Prime.

After fifty years, the remains of Outbound Flight -- a pioneering Jedi expedition viciously destroyed by Thrawn -- have been found on Nirauan. Now, the fiercely honor-bound aliens who reside there wish to turn over the remnants of the doomed mission to the New Republic.

(I'm reeeaaaalllly excited about that one! :D)

5. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    One thing about HTTE: Zahn throws out about eight different plot lines and lays out a bunch of ground work that will be seen in the second and third books in the series. He's a master of plot, that's for sure.

So...whatcha think of Joruus C'baoth? Is he one f-ud up merf or what?

And if there was a clone of me, would he be named Tiim?

6. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    So...whatcha think of Joruus C'baoth?
    I see him as a cross between the witch in Snow White and Gollum, LOL. "I am the greatest being EVER!.....what?....there's someone else, you say?" <rubs hands together and darts eyes around room> "My preciousssss......"

7. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    Yeah what is up with the extra vowel meaning some one is a clone. If i was a clone I wouldn't change my name then no one would know I was a clone. Joruus is so friggin arrogant. I think it's good that Lucas didn't let him use Obi-Wan instead because It wouldn't be good to see him like that.

I'm not much farther along with it. The last thing I read was the Nogrhi bringing in the fake Millenium Falcon. But in my defense I just got The Unifying Force and I haven't been able to tear my self away from it. Luceno's the man.

8. Ellen_Griswold

Ellen_Griswold Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2001
    I don't think I've said it yet in this thread: Luceno is a god!

I started trying to think of some ways to get the ball rolling here, but with TUF still hot off the press and the holidays just around the corner, I think most folks are a little distracted right now.

BTW - has anyone heard from Chad?

9. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    nope, Chad is awol

10. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    OK, it's time for me to drop the NJO and go back to my assigned reading. We should discuss this book sometime.

-Tim: Resurrector of old threads.

11. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Ugh, Assigned reading makes the baby Jesus cry.

*So sayeth Rhonda who is burned OUT on book clubs*

Give me a mallet and point me towards Oprah...

12. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    To answer the question of Joruus C'boath, (granted this is before the prequels were written and filmed) he seems to be one of these cocky and arrogant jedi that Yoda refers to in AOTC...even the older ones. His grasp on the force seems to be boundless..oops I hope I didn't skip ahead. He seems to be Zahn's version of the Emperor, but also gives him a few jedi traits as well...he's bad, but not pure evil like Palps

13. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    John: But remember that all of the latter-day clones had some mental ticks about them. Remember the character from the Thrawn duology? (And don't let me spoil it for you if you haven't read it.)

Rhonda: Someone should have taken a mallet to Oprah a loooong time ago.

14. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    I haven't made it to the Thrawn/Zahn duology, but I hear good things about them. I'm into "shatterpoint" for the time being. For the record and to get it off my chest....I never liked reading books about SW outside of the films until summer of '01. A college buddy that I worked with at the time, told me me I was missing out. He brought SOTE to me one weekend @ work and told me to read the introduction. He said if I wasn't hooked, that I would never be hooked. I took into the EU hook, line and sinker!!!
    Before anyone starts the EU and reading the books...they must read the books to the movies first....that's like your Padawan training for reading the EU. You can call yourself a Jedi Knight of EU reading after you finish the NJO!!!! Whoa!! those were great and long, but worth it!!!

15. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    He brought SOTE to me one weekend @ work and told me to read the introduction.

SOTE rocked! Best.Vader.Characterization.Ever...

16. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I didn't start reading EU until about two years ago. I've read a good chunk of it all, including the novelizations of the films.

After all of the negative feedback, I swore I wouldn't bother with the NJO. Then, while on vacation, Traci was reading Traitor. I started reading it out of sheer boredom, and I was hooked. Of course, Stover is a god.

Shatterpoint was slap-your-mamma good. It was great to finally get the Mace Windu we wanted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.