main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The real cost of the Death Star!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Blue_Jedi33, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Interesting read

http://i.gizmodo.com/5146010/death-star-costs-156-septillion-14-trillion-times-the-us-debt

Where did Sidious get the cash from, to build not 1 but 2 of these?

Maybe Sidious had the equivalent of the FED, that way he just make up the money out of thin air.

2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    He has a galaxy-wide economy to draw from.

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Just the tax base from Coruscant alone would've been plenty, probably.

As a further note: The first Death Star was built using slave labor and droids; there goes worker wages and compensation, and for all we know, the Empire simply strip-mined some uninhabited planet for materials.

4. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    ,,there goes worker wages and compensation, and for all we know, the Empire simply strip-mined some uninhabited planet for materials.,,
    Why not collect slaves and stripmine a planet at the same time.[face_devil][face_devil][face_devil]

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, and the concept of cost/expense for something like the Death Star (1 or 2) is not really even relevant for an iron-fisted empire that controls thousands of systems. As far as the first Death Star being begun in secret some time before the Empire was officially declared, Palpatine probably had Republic tax revenues being funneled somewhere secret for the start of the construction.

6. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    ,,As far as the first Death Star being begun in secret some time before the Empire was officially declared, Palpatine probably had Republic tax revenues being funneled somewhere secret for the start of the construction. ,,
    How were its builders?
    Poggle knew about it.Maybe the seps started building it and then the empire took over.

7. Darth_Tusken

Darth_Tusken Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2008
    They are the empire they can take anything from anyone anytime then want. Who would object to an army of storms and Vader?

8. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    This.

I mean, he's Emperor of the whole Galaxy. He could just take the material and slaves he needs.

9. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    Also, wasn't one of the reasons smugglers were so Abundant during the Empire was the high taxes on items?

10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I agree...for as long as they've been planning to build the Death Star, he probably had been keeping tax "credits" in reserve since before the Clone Wars. That's years of stockpiling, not to mention whatever tax increases there were once the Empire was put in place. All of the military spending we do comes from US taxes and government spending, within OUR country. For the Death Star it's the same thing on a grander scale - the Emperor had a WHOLE GALAXY. That alone would provide enough funding, just the amount of systems the Empire controlled.

11. rich-narco

rich-narco Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2004
    bollocks. It would have cost a LOT less.....

12. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    ENGINEER: You know, there's an exhaust port that's kind of exposed. I'm going to order the part to cover it, just in case.

PALPATINE: How much will that cost?

ENGINEER: Only about $50.

PALPATINE: $50? Screw that. I've paid enough for this thing already.

ENGINEER: Sir, I insist.

PALPATINE: Yeah, well I don't think the tax payers of the galaxy want to see any wasteful spending. I said screw the exhaust port and I mean it! Now someone summon my billionaire dollar shuttle!

13. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I hope that engineer wasn't on the Death Star when it blew up. [face_laugh]

14. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003

She wasn't....:p ;)

(If you haven't, read the book The Death Star...then this will make sense!!) ;)

15. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    OK, guess I'll have to check that out sometime... it's a novel, right?

16. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah. It's pretty good. I liked it anyways. It gives some interesting insights to some very minor characters as you see them in ANH...(the story takes place from the Empire's perspective during the events in Episode IV)

Anyways, it really sheds a lot of light on clarifying things on this very thread topic!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.