main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Real Question

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by mjerome3, Nov 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I doubt if this has been brought up and if it has please do away with this thread immediately.

What would happen if Anakin Skywalker refused Palpatine's offer all the way? Would Palpatine lash out at Anakin with Sith lightning like he does against Skywalker's son twenty three years later on the Death Star? Palpatine knew that once the Jedi found out that he was a Sith, that he wasn't going to let them arrest him peacefully. Let's say when Mace declares that Palpatine is too dangerous to be left alive and Anakin reasons with this fact and draws his lightsaber and goes in for the kill along with Mace, what would Palpatine do? Up to this point even when Anakin drew his lightsaber on him when finding out his friend the chancellor was the Sith Lord, Palpatine refuses to be hostile, putting the Sith at risk. I know he had to remain calm in order to recruit Anakin, but would have happened if:

1. Anakin goes with Mace and the posse and sees the fight and hold back until Mace disarms Sidious?

2. What would have happened had Sidious killed Mace and Anakin and Sidious was left there with lightsaber against lightsaber?

or

3. Once Palpatine is disarmed, Anakin walks in when he does and sees Mace's lightsaber drawn but has the intentions to kill Palpatine along with Mace. Does Palpatine still remain calm or does he send dark side lightning at them both?

2. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    I don't and never will , for a second, believe that if Anakin was present at the arrest that Palpatine would do ANYTHING violent or anything that would give him away to Anakin. which means Palpatines whole Schtick with Anakin is to look like a Victim .He has been telling Anakin the Jedi don't trust them, and that they want to take over. if he got Violent in front of Anakin and it did NOT look like self defence, then Anakin would see through the B.S.Palpatine already controlled the Senate , so if Anakin was there Palps would have to play the Victim a little longer. but he would easily get off , and then could STILL charge the Jedi with Treason. by the time the arrest happens. nothing short of Killing Sideous could stop the Jedi's demise.

O, and you forgot the "T" in your QuesTion .:)

3. DON_QUITO12

DON_QUITO12 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2005
    the answer is very simple, you won't have that story or plot from episodes IV, V, and VI...

4. EwokThatCried

EwokThatCried Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2003
    "You are under arrest, my lord."
    "NO, NO, NO... YOU WILL DIE!"

He did get violent just by being placed under arrest. All in front of Anakin.

If Mace and Anakin were on the same page about killing Palpatine, of course Palpatine would resist and attempt to kill them both.

That was the question.

5. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    yeah but he also got really weak in front of him seconds later. The weakness was an act... an act to draw in Anakin.

6. KILLER-CLONE

KILLER-CLONE Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2005
    The real question is:

Who the hell scored a really cool Purple Lightsaber as it fell mysteriously from the sky?

I dare say that if Coruscant has ebay, that dude would be sitting on a goldmine.

7. Aiden_Sanic

Aiden_Sanic Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2005
    Don't forget the other lightsaber that fell from the sky. Now the guy has a cool Purple Lightsaber, and a Bad @$$ Red lightsaber with a kik-@$$ Hilt. Now he's really on a gold mine.

8. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    "You are under arrest, my lord."
    "NO, NO, NO... YOU WILL DIE!"

He did get violent just by being placed under arrest. All in front of Anakin.

If Mace and Anakin were on the same page about killing Palpatine, of course Palpatine would resist and attempt to kill them both.

That was the question.

Ewoks 8-} actually , I said if Anakin was there from the beginning, that Palpatine would not attack . It's a no brainer otherwise, of Course Palpatine would defend himself if he was being given No Quarter. but nobody, and that means YOU too , Knows for sure that Palpatine , if being Placed under arrest , while Anakin was present , would do anything violent.

9. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    ROFL!

Why is this the real question? I don't understand. Are the other questions illusory in some way? ;)

We'll, the point when Anakin turns is when he saves Palpatine from death at the hands of Mace, so based on that, I'd say he'd be dead if Anakin refused to turn.

10. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I would tend to think that Palps would have been complacent if Anakin was there and then convince him to break him out of jail or something. I am just reminded of Herman Goerring when he was in allied custody and how he made friends with a guard and eventually got that guard to slip him a cyanide capsule so that he could kill himself and not be put to death on trial. Goerring probably sweet talked the guard just like Palps would sweet talk his way out.

11. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    good one Halfwits. I know exactly what you are refering to. Palpatine plays Anakin, and Anakin needs the Affermation. Oh , and Palps dirty little secret. ;)

12. EwokThatCried

May 22, 2003
    DUGGY, if Anakin was there from the beginning and he and Mace went in for the kill together and Palpatine did not resist or attack, then he would surely be killed.

The question came with options, in all the options Anakin isn't going to turn - that's the premise of the topic.

If Anakin isn't going to turn and Mace and he decide to move in for the kill you think Palpatine would do nothing except embrace his death.

I say he would resist.

13. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    That could be why Lucas changed the scene from the original set-up, where Anakin was there during the beginning and Sidious used the force to pull out Anakin's saber. That SOUNDS like a dirty secret.

14. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    I understand the Premise, thank you. I say even if Anakin was there from the time they go and arrest him, Palpatine is not stupid enough to pull the same thing that he did with the Posse with Anakin present. he has invested Time and Effort into Anakin believing that the Jedi are really at fault. " I should have known the Jedi are Evil " " I know there are things about the Force that they are not telling me " Palps has worked hard to instill this in Anakin , and you suggest that Palpatine would throw all that out the window?. he would bide his time , and fight another day.

15. Circle_Is_Complete

Circle_Is_Complete Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2005
    Even more what would Palpatine have done had Anakin went to strike him in his chambers rather then go to Mace at all?

16. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    Even more what would Palpatine have done had Anakin went to strike him in his chambers rather then go to Mace at all?

He would do Nothing , Exactly. He has invested in Anakin. he would never seem Overt towards Anakin , because of Anakins Place in the Grand Scheme. he knows that as long as Anakin thinks he can learn from Him ,what the Jedi won'tor can't teach him, then Palps can do no wrong .

17. mjerome3

May 11, 2000
    I think he would resist, given his track record. We know how Palpatine reacts when he doesn't get what he wants.

1. I want that treaty signed!

2. If you will not be turned, you will be destroyed!

If he sees Anakin going at him this fake benevolence of his would leave quickly. He could either stand there and be killed or he would fight it out.

18. EwokThatCried

May 22, 2003
    What would happen if Anakin Skywalker refused Palpatine's offer all the way?

Die.

I'm not understanding why people are suggesting that if Mace and Anakin together went in for the kill, Palpatine would do nothing. He would be killed if he did nothing, in particular in the situation where Anakin comes in to assist Mace in killing him.

Either Palpatine chooses to die or to resist.

19. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    Let's say when Mace declares that Palpatine is too dangerous to be left alive and Anakin reasons with this fact and draws his lightsaber and goes in for the kill along with Mace, what would Palpatine do? Up to this point even when Anakin drew his lightsaber on him when finding out his friend the chancellor was the Sith Lord, Palpatine refuses to be hostile, putting the Sith at risk. I know he had to remain calm in order to recruit Anakin, but would have happened

OK when does Mace decare this? is it After Palps would allegedly attack and is defeated?. Or is it that the Jedi walk in with a Predetermined opinion that Palps must die . and they attack him? Cause I say if they just go into arrest him that he will not attack in front of Anakin. just like he never did in his Office earlier on. In the Movie He attacked because Anakin was not there, and so when he starts to lose and Anakin comes in... He wins, again. the Guy can't lose. his investment will be shot if Anakin see's him as the Vilain.and he never does.

20. mjerome3

May 11, 2000

It doesn't matter. Nevermind a predeterminded opinion. Mace stated that Palpatine should die once he's killed three Jedi. The theory is it doesn't matter what Anakin thinks about what Mace thinks. Let's say Anakin made the conscious choice to do it regardless of what Mace thinks. That is my point.

21. EwokThatCried

May 22, 2003
    In the movie I saw, Anakin walked in and Palps attacked a second time with intent to kill - even with Mace still in arrest mode.

If Anakin has no intention of accepting Palpatine's offer and moves in to kill, yes I believe he would try to kill Anakin just as he tried killing Luke when he refused to turn.

22. mjerome3

May 11, 2000
    Thank you Ewok that cried. Finally an honest answer to an uncomplicated question!

23. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    Your right, i think i was stunned by how simple it really is. I really don't even know how a simple question that has only one answer got this far. Apologies. I read Waaaay too much into it.

24. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    If Anakin has no intention of accepting Palpatine's offer and moves in to kill, yes I believe he would try to kill Anakin just as he tried killing Luke when he refused to turn.

Yes, but unlike Luke, Anakin is the chosen one. Palps may try to kill him, but it is the will of the force that Anakin destroy the Sith, so Palps would have to lose. Like the saying goes, its not nice to fool mother force. :D

25. Circle_Is_Complete

Circle_Is_Complete Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2005
    So some of you are saying that a Sith Lord who used everyone to get his way and what he wanted would just sit there with Anakin's lightsaber swing at him. BEFORE he even decided to go get Mace and turn him in that Palpatine would not defend himself or preserve himself? He would simply let Anakin kill him to keep his alter ego a secret?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.