Amph The Realm of Fae'Run: Forgotten Realms discussion (Books, games etc)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Amon_Amarth, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    But in the game they probably refered to him as Cyric, since at that time Bane and Bhaal were both dead and Cyric had taken over their portfolios.
  2. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    It has been a while since I played it, but I don't remember them mentioning Cyric in the game. I should dig it out again, that was a really fun game.
  3. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    I remember being asked who the God of Death was and I answered "Bane" and they said "You idiot, Bane is dead!"
  4. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    You meet Cyric in Throne of Bhaal, and there is a cleric of Cyric in the docks in Athkatla.
  5. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    Bane is listed with the domains of Destruction, Evil, Hatred, Law, and Tyranny.

Cyric's domains consist of Chaos, Destruction, Illusion and Trickery.

These domains are more for game stats concerning magic domains for player characters. Bascially there are a number of evil gods with Cyric being Numero Uno. However, at some point Bane rested away some portion of Cyrics control, or it might have been that Cyric lost some power over some situation and Bane moved in to become THE god of evil in FR. Both are active. Bane was "killed" art some point but returned. Both Bane and Cyric are considered Greater Deities. Both are quite evil and each hates the other.

Something like that.

The god of death is named Kelemvor. Cyric was the god of death but apparently made some kind of mistake and Kelemvor inherited the position. Kelemvor is not evil and and not secretive. He directs the dead in the cylce of the Universe. Cyric does wish to take his position as god of death back while still keeping his current domains.
  6. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    No, Bhaal is very much alive in BG and running round impregnating anything he can with his demon-spawn-edness. Hence the protagonist as a Son of Bhaal.

Wicked gods!

E_S
  7. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    Actually from what I recall he had dispersed his essense before his death in the ToT into the Bhaalspawn, that is why Irenicus (sp) is collecting them. To gather the shards of Bhaals essense and benefit from all that power himself.

:oops: I can't believe I forgot that cleric, I love killing that guy!
  8. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    No. Bhaal died 20 years earlier, which is when your mother was impregnated.

VaderLament, what happened is (IIRC):

Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul were three gods ruling over Hate and Tyranny, Murder and the Dead, respectively. In the Time of Troubles, Mystra killed Myrkul, Torm killed Bane and and Cyric killed Bhaal. Cyric took over all their portfolios. Kelemvor then took over Death somehow. Bane, however, was still alive inside his 'godson' Iyactu Xvim and has since been reborn and returned to power. (Myrkul's not dead either..)
  9. Zebra3 Force Ghost

star 5
    Kelemvor was murdered by Cyric at the end of the Time of Troubles. The sword he killed him with, Godsbane (which was another incarnation of the god Mask), somehow trapped his spirit inside of it. The sword was trying to use him to overthrow Cyric's rule in the dead world and with the help of Mystra and other gods, managed to do so. After Kelemvor was freed he was elevated to godhood at the wish of all the dead spirits in Cyrics realm. This all happens in Prince of Lies.
  10. Lord_of_all_Noldor Jedi Knight

star 3
    This all happens in Prince of Lies.
    That is an amazing FR book.
  11. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad was probably my favorite in that series.
  12. Zebra3 Force Ghost

star 5
    I really liked both books. They're well worth reading if anyone wants to get into the series.
  13. Svebor Jedi Knight

star 1
    That was by Troy Denning, right?
  14. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    If you are refering to Crucible then you are correct, Troy Denning did that.
  15. Zebra3 Force Ghost

star 5
    IIRC, Prince of Lies was written by James Lowder.
  16. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

Why did the alias the Avatar trilogy under Awlinson, when other authors penned it?
  17. Zebra3 Force Ghost

star 5
    As far as I know, using a pen name in a series with different authors isn't (or at least wasn't in the past) all that uncommon. Carolyn Keene and Franklin W. Dixon are a couple other examples. For whatever reason Wizards just dropped using the name.
  18. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

Who was Awlinson, though, that Denning and the other one couldn't writing the early Avatar trilogy under their names? [face_thinking]

Publishing is full frontal deception. As much as you know is more you don't, I like to say. :p
  19. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

I entered the Underdark drow city last night, and started looking up factoids about the joint. Noticed there's a box set of the entire War of the Spider Queen septrilogy due out. For one new to the Realms, is that multiauthor set worth it? I've heard mixed reviews. Action focused at the expense of characterisation. And did people feel the 6 books was just stretching the plot out, or it was okay?
  20. Lord_of_all_Noldor Jedi Knight

star 3
    And did people feel the 6 books was just stretching the plot out, or it was okay?

Too stretched, in my opinion. I don't really like it.
  21. severian28 Force Ghost

star 5

I thought Richard Awlinson was the pen name for Ed Greenwood.
  22. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    It's the pen name Denning, James Lowder and Scott Ciencin used to make it look like the Avatar Trilogy were written by the same guy. Don't think Greenwood used it.
  23. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

Yes, but why under a fake name? Why not individual? What was the publisher's moivation for this?
  24. severian28 Force Ghost

star 5

I get it - All-in-one.
  25. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    Eh, I'm so not a fan of drow, which makes me in a minority.

E_S
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.