main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Realm of Fae'Run: Forgotten Realms discussion (Books, games etc)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Amon_Amarth, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, they've adapted Homeland and Exile, as well as Dragons of Autumn Twilight.

E_S

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

What's your opinion of them, Sai? Worth getting?

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I've only flicked through the Dragonlance one, and it looked very nice. I'd like to get it, just to see how the artist rendered it, but I think it's a little darker than 80's fantasy should be. Lousy LOTR films...

E_S

4. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I've finished most of Exile over the weekend. As soon as I saw the House Baenre guards supporting the crippled House Do'Urden, a succession takeover was screaming obvious to me. There had to be a reason why Briza stayed when the Matron dismissed the other daughters, and coupled with their growing animosity, I knew she was going to bite it too.

Was disappointed with the mindflayer part, what I was looking forward to. Their gladiator and central brain thing was right out of Shadows of Amn. Or the other way. Funny. Overall, it wasn't up to Homeland, and zombie Zak's pov was mechanically lacklustre to read. The Hun'ett matron double trick was good.

Probably finish the trilogy off with Sojourn this weekend. I've quite enjoyed the books so far. It's funny to see all the monsters and items you've been playing in a game all year.

5. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    If you enjoyed the other two books, then its pretty likely you'll enjoy Sojourn.

As for the comics, I read the one for Sojourn and it was pretty decent. The artwork is satisfactory, and doesn't quite look like it was all done in one night. The real buying point though is four pin up style covers that can be found in the back. They all look equally fantastic. My only complaint is that the final encounter between McGristle and Drizzt has been simplified and doesn't evoke the emotional response it did in the novel.

6. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Regrettably, I did not finish Sojourn with a favourable impression, and Exile was only marginally better. From Homeland quality went downhill, but that's okay: as my first Realms read I wasn't going in with expectations. Homeland was a solid read with more cultural insight in one book than 19 NJO books gave for those screaming sadists. In a sense, Salvatore drew on past experience when blueprinting Vector Prime, I can see. Exile suffered from predictability and a foresighted confrontation that ended very obviously. Sojourn was filled with comical named nobody people that were bereft of either characterisation or depth. McGristle was a stupid name, his page presence was stupid, Do'Urden lacked the potential he could have exhibited better. And Bruenor and Cattie's syntax of speech and attitude reminds me why I wisely avoid any of that stereotypical cliche, and should continue to do so.

I might acquire the Homeland TPB and don't regret my first sojourn into the Realms, but further venturing will require very judicious research which is beyond even my array of talents. I've my eye out for the Spider Queen War and Darkvision, but essentially, every Realms review I've seen either says sucks or only marginal quality. On the other squid, what is continual seen-befores for others would be new for me.

7. Jedi_Drizzt

Jedi_Drizzt Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2006
    Wow this thread is fantastic! :)

I'm a huge fan od everything DnD especialy Forgotten Realms. :D My favourite writer is Salvatore and favourite books by far the Icewind Dale Trilogy. I also have the collector's edition of IWD. Amazing, truly amazing, novels.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Another off the wall "if you were in FR" question.

In FR you must have a patron deity, basically the deity you worship. If you have not chosen a deity upon death yu will either wind up on the Wall of the Faithless for eternity or be dragged off to the abyss or hells. So, who would be your deity?

I would choose Sharess. Sharess

Sharess is the deity of hedonism, festhalls and sensual fulfillment.

basically, she is the goddess of pleasure, and her clerics invite all to celebrations for...oh...just about anything your little lustfull heart desires. :D

9. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I've actually thought about this. Possibly Helm or Tyr if I was from that society, but more likely Lathander.

Though if Amaunator was still around..the law is the Law!

10. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    As of now, I'm reading Streams of Silver. Exceptional book, now why can Peter Jackson make movies out of these?

11. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I'd totally worship Blibdoolpoolp, because I like evil undersea creatures and it's fun trying to pronounce her name

12. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    ZOMG Flare is a kua-toa!

13. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'd worship Gargauth
    he is the god of betrayal, cruelty, and corruption.

14. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Why does it always have to be about race with you? Maybe I'm a tauric-templated human/lobster with neutral evil tenancies. Take your pre-concieved notions about my religion back to the Dalelands.

15. Yodas-evil-twin

Jun 3, 2005
    I worship Lolth, even if I am only a male.

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Ack! Spider worshiper! Yuck.

17. Yodas-evil-twin

Jun 3, 2005
    Blasphemy!!!!!!

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Sex > spiders. Therefore Sharess > Lolth.

While on that topic, what has happened with Lolth. The last I read there was something called the "Silence of Lolth" where she was not granting powers to her worshipers. Is she defeated and gone? In some kind of divine coma?

19. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    No, she's now become a Greater Power (War of the Spider Queen novel series.)

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I see. If there's one thing I got sick of while playing Baldurs gate it was all the damn spiders. They were annoying if anything.

Here ya go kids, have at an Alignment Test

I just gave it to Kate in her Ask Anything thread. She got Neutral Good, as did I. There re many such tests to be found online and I usually get NG or CG.

21. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I'm true Neutral...that's pretty surprising to me.

22. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    I'm reading the newest "big one" Road of the Patriarch

The first half sucked, the second half is entertaining.

I'm liking the Entreri/Jarlaxle books A LOT more than the recent Drizzt ones.

Not saying much, I don't know how I even got through the Hunter's Blades Trilogy

23. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    So, who would be your deity?

Mystra. She has an interesting sence of humour. :D :p

24. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    K I have to point it out.

It's Faerûn, not Fae'Run

25. Jedi_Drizzt

Jedi_Drizzt Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2006
    Actually it is named quite well, for in the early days of the Forgotten realms, the continent of Toril was indeed named Fae'Run. Shortly after, the name changed it's from a little, to Faerûn as we know it today. =D= for your knowledge of the FR history, Amon_Amarth, if it is you who had founded this topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.