main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

/***The Realm of Middle-Earth***\

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by Bacon164, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    No, Tolkien doesn't hang here. :p

This is a thread for everyone to enjoy the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. His works, atleast that I am aware of, include The Hobbit, Leaf By Niggle, On Fairy-Stories, Farmer Giles of Ham, The Comecoming of Beorhtnoth, The Lord of the Rings, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, The Road Goes Ever On, and Smith of Wootton Major.

There is a living room, where we simply talk. There is a debating area where we debate many issues of Tolkien, and critical aspects of his work. There is a discussion table where we will discuss the books and movies of LOTR which I will introduce soon.

So, relax, and prepare to appreciate J.R.R. Tolkien.

Edit: On Request

2. master-of-les-pauls

master-of-les-pauls Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 16, 2005
    1st post

i have never read the books bacon, but i have seen the films and they rock

so where is a good place to start out with he books

3. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I'm going to start off with the movies, since I haven't read the books since January. :p

I would also like to discuss Peter Jackson's version of FOTR chapter by chapter on the Extended Cut of the DVD. There are 46 chapters to discuss over the next forty-six days, excluding the two end credit scenes.

Each discussion will last 1 day. At the beginning of the second day, the following chapter will be posted.

CHAPTER ONE: Prologue: One Ring To Rule Them All
    DISCUSSION: May 14, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 00:00 ? 07:35

Synopsis:
    The opening logos appear on screen. An Elvish chorus is heard as Galadriel begins her stunning narration. After a few split seconds of silence, the ?History of the Ring? Theme is heard and the wonderful ?Lord of the Rings? Logo appears on screen. It then cuts to the forging of the Rings, where Galadriel informs us that the Rings were given to the race of Elves, Dwarves, and Men (the latter being the weakest of the three races). These Rings give them all the power to govern their lands. But, as Galadriel tells us, in the land of Mordor, in the fires of Mount Doom, the dark lord Sauron secretly forges his own Ring. ONE RING TO RULE THEM ALL. We then cut to some footage of people being slaughtered. Anyways, we then cut to the beginning of a battle scene, where Elrond gives out orders to elves. Finally, Sauron appears, and wipes everyone out as he holds the power of the Ring. The King (I forget is name) is slaughtered by Sauron, where Isildur takes up his sword, which is called Narsil, and cuts the Ring from Sauron?s hand, which kills him. Middle-Earth is freed from his wrath. Though Isildur is given a chance to destroy the Ring, he does not take it, and instead keeps the Ring, showing the corrupt nature of men. Later, Isildur rides on his horse with fifty or so men when he is attacked. In the extended cut, we see Isildur?s plight to the river, where he is shot down by orcs. It falls to the bottom of the River Anduin, and it lost for thousands of years, until when chance comes, a creature snatches it. The creature Gollum takes the Ring into a mountain range known as the ?Misties? where he is destroyed by the Ring. He is a horrible creature, corrupted by the Ring?s very nature, and his now-twisted mind. Then Bilbo comes along, and when Gollum loses his ?precious?, Bilbo manages to find it. He puts it in his pocket, and we cut to an exterior view of the mountains where Galadriel reveals that the fate of the world is in the hand of hobbits, though we are not told if it is Bilbo are not. END OF CHAPTER

BACON?S Opinion:

This opening chapter is by far the best of the three movies. The Elvish choir is stunning. AMAZINGLY STUNNING. I get goosebumps everytime I hear it. Galadriel?s voice was perfect for the narrative. I hear they were going to have Gandalf (Ian McKellen) to do the voice, and even Frodo (Elijah Wood)! I?m so glad they picked Galadriel (Cate Blanchett) instead. Her voice is magical, like playing music on the piano.

I?m a big fan of showing the Rings and their masters, Elves, Dwarves, and Men. That really works for me, as does the map. I love Galadriel?s little hinty hint, ?But they were all of them deceived, for another Ring was made??

Sauron?s armor rocks. I don?t care what anyone says. They did right with him, and the inscriptions on the Ring.

I believe the footage used for Sauron?s wrath upon Middle-Earth is actually stuff used for TTT in the scene near the beginning where a village is attacked by wild-men, or Uruk-Hai (I can never tell).

The Battle Of Gorgoroth was amazing as well! The use of CGI in this film worked big time! I bought everything! It?s just a big, massive, action-packed battle that leads to one of the best moments in FOTR: Sauron?s death. I still don?t get it, but I buy it. Why does he need the Ring to stay alive? Or is it his finger that he needs?.

Isildur?s death is okay, I just really like the dialogue with Galadriel, ?It betrayed Isildur? to his death. And some things that should not have been forgotten? were lost.?

Gollum is great

4. WhiteLadyofRohan

WhiteLadyofRohan Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2005
    Bacon, you're my hero. We've been needing a thread like this for a long time...

5. master-of-les-pauls

Jan 16, 2005
    i havent seen the extened version of rotk so im not gonna read what you have said bacon

wont no one tell where to start with the books

6. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    As of now, this is FOTR. If you've only seen the Theatrical Versions, feel free to post your opinions as well.

What do you mean by where to start with the books?

7. WhiteLadyofRohan

Mar 14, 2005
    Hmmm...

Read The Hobbit first. Then read FOTR, TTT, and ROTK respectively.

8. DarthVader10

DarthVader10 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2005
    LOTR is very cool.

9. master-of-les-pauls

Jan 16, 2005
    i dont know how many books tolken wrote about middle earth, other than the films, i have no idea what order they all go in bacon

thanks maldy, i knew i could count on you

10. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Oh.

You should read The Hobbit, than LOTR. The Silmarillion is too complicated for me anyways. LOTR explains what happened adequately.

11. master-of-les-pauls

Jan 16, 2005
    thank you one and all for your help

12. WhiteLadyofRohan

Mar 14, 2005
    The Silmarillion isn't too complicated, just read it slowly and carefully. Read it alongside the Unfinished Tales.

It reminds me alot of Greek and Norse Mythology...

13. master-of-les-pauls

Jan 16, 2005
    do they come after rotk mlady

14. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    No, it's WAY before LOTR...

Anyways, can someone comment on the DVD discussion thingy?

15. WhiteLadyofRohan

Mar 14, 2005
    The Silmarillion is basically a history of Middle Earth. It talks about who created Middle Earth, and the gods that watch over it...about the Aragorn's ancestors and when Sauron first came into the world.

It's a really good background.

The Unfinshed Tales are like that as well -- they tell tales of the history of Middle Earth.

I found that both books really helped me understand why some things occur in LOTR. For example, it explains why Aragorn lives longer than most men, why marriage between Elves and Men is discouraged, why Galadriel is such an important character, etc.

Read LOTR and The Hobbit first, though.

16. master-of-les-pauls

Jan 16, 2005
    sounds cool, i will start with the hobbit then work my way through them all

thanks again for your help my fellow jtcers

17. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    WLOR explained it much better than I did... :p

18. master-of-les-pauls

Jan 16, 2005
    yeah but you still helped tho bacon

this is whats cool about the jtc... we all help each other out what ever the problem

we rule

19. WhiteLadyofRohan

Mar 14, 2005
    Bacon rocks!!!

[face_dancing]

20. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    WLOR, I command thee to post thy comments on the first scene of LOTR. :mad:

21. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    "Then Frodo... went aboard; and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew, and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth; and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore glimmered and was lost. And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that... the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond... a far green country under a swift sunrise."

-LOTR: ROTK
    Book 3, Unit 6, Chapter 11, The Grey Havens, Page 1007, Paragraph 6.

My favorite passage in all the books. [face_blush]

22. WhiteLadyofRohan

Mar 14, 2005
    :_|

I must admit, I cried during the Grey Havens scene in the movie.

23. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    :eek:

I just remembered! I teared up during that scene! :eek:

There goes my "I've never cried during a movie" arguement. [face_plain]

24. WhiteLadyofRohan

Mar 14, 2005
    Bacon, how can you not cry in movies?

I cried in "A Walk to Remember."

I cried in ROTK.

And I'm gonna cry in ROTS...

25. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I've never cried during a movie except when I teared up in ROTK. I also got starry eyed in Titanic for some reason...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.