main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Reason for Attack of the Clones failure...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by FORCE-WIELDER1, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    " The last 30 minutes make up for any so called "failures" during the film. "

Thats very true. It really starts feeling like SW at that point and brings something even more to the table. I really had no problems from the first part of the movie, but from the moment Anakin and Padme land on Tatooine the movie really has no flaws visually OR dramatically.

2. Avid_Prequels_Fan

Avid_Prequels_Fan Jedi Master star 2

Sep 14, 2003
    "Everyone" doesn't think AOTC was horrible and it wasn't a "failure" by any stretch. I know plenty of Star Wars fans and non Star Wars fans who like or love AOTC. Careful with generalizations.

3. StarWarsFanBoy

StarWarsFanBoy Jedi Master star 1

Dec 29, 2004
    While Portman is very sexy i must concur with the fact that he is no "Ultimate Hotty" and her acting is mearly "Meh" but i can't think of anyone else truly fitting as Padme as Portman. so in the end it kind of all works out.

4. RundownJedi

RundownJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2005
    i think the reason for the failure was advertisement...
    i think they learned their lesson...seeing how ep. 3 is beign advertised

5. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    " She is neither worthy of being an ultimate hotty or a good actress. "

Your kidding right? I know were entitled to our opinions but I think your in the minority here. Have youve ever seen Natalie Portman in her other works aside from SW? She's a very talented actress and while she may not be the ultimate hotty she is most definetly a beautiful woman.

6. majin_yami

majin_yami Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2004
    I preferred TPM over AOTC. I liked the bits with Obi-Wan, but the parts with Hayden and Natalie just seemed too corny and lovey-dovey. I feel sorry for Hayden because he's a good actor, but GL's script and direction make him a whole lot worse.
    My list goes like this
    1. ESB
    2. ROTJ
    3. TPM
    4. ANH
    5. AOTC
    That being said, I still enjoyed Clones.

7. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Portman is pretty yes, that's why GL cast her as Padmé. the only thing we had to go on was that she was "beutiful" according to Leia. Portman is a pretty bad actress who only seems to make her way by being good looking.

8. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    " Portman is pretty yes, that's why GL cast her as Padmé. the only thing we had to go on was that she was "beutiful" according to Leia. Portman is a pretty bad actress who only seems to make her way by being good looking. "

That may very well be the case with Tara Reid or Denise Richards, but come on, Natalie Portman? She's a wonderful compliment of beauty and acting skill. She's been great in " The Professional ", " Heat ", " Garden State ", and " Closer ". SW was a deviation from her career path and probably a risk given the shelf life of beauty in Hollywood ( whether your a good actor or not, once the beauty goes it becomes very difficult to find work, thats why for the most part men have much longer careers than women - sexist but true - Hollywood is anything but fair to women ). Of course your entitled to your opinion as we all are. I just think your in the minority with yours.

9. Avid_Prequels_Fan

Avid_Prequels_Fan Jedi Master star 2

Sep 14, 2003
    I think Natalie Portman does a great job as Padme Amidala. I really disagree with people who think she doesn't display talented acting skills in the PT. She is beautiful and does a beautiful job with her character.

10. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Well, I saw one of the TV spots and it had her say a line in it. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say about it, but if she acts like she did there in the rest of RotS, she's improved.

11. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Yes, because we all know the Academy and Golden Globes nominate actors and actresses who are famous only because of their looks. :p I tend to attribute some of the acting weaknesses to the directing and script. Obviously, I don't think Lucas is responsible for all of it, but it will impact the performances of the actors. Otherwise, McGregor, Portman, Neeson, Christensen, McDiarmid, etc. are all rather highly acclaimed actors, who have all been nominated (and won) and have at least one or more awards for their acting. (Yes, even Hayden. He was nominated for a Golden Globe for Life as a House and has merited a SAG award, as well.)

Personally, the only point in AOTC that strikes me as borderline bad acting is the elevator scene, but Ewan McGregor is as much to blame for that one as Hayden is. I can only assume it was being out of the Star Wars "groove" that made it feel so wooden when they worked well the rest of the time. But, then, keep in mind, acting is so subjective...if the actor wasn't able to make the character work for you, there's nothing I can do to change your mind.

I think AOTC's biggest problem is its editing. It stilts the flow of the story in some places, and the validity of the romance is really hurt by some of the deleted scenes. It doesn't help that the main characters - Padme, Anakin, etc. - aren't the most likeable individuals in the world. It's easy to overlook a line that was badly delivered in a character that's well liked, but if he's unlikeable, people will look for any reason to detract from him.

12. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    While Portman is very sexy i must concur with the fact that he is no "Ultimate Hotty" and her acting is mearly "Meh" but i can't think of anyone else truly fitting as Padme as Portman. so in the end it kind of all works out.

That's because we haven't seen anyone else in the role.

Can you imagine anybody else as Leia, Luke, Han, or Sids?

No. There is nothing to measure them against.

13. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I think AOTC failed to be as good as TESB. But it succeeded in being better than ANH, TPM and ROTJ. :D

14. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    I don't know about it being better than ROTJ...

I don't know about it being better than ANH, either.

I found it merely above satisfactory.

ANH had a good bit of humor, more so than most of the others. I think that sets it above the prequels.

When they tried to be funny, they were just corny.

15. FORCE-WIELDER1

FORCE-WIELDER1 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 8, 2004
    Also Lucas should remove the cow/beetle scene which was an unnessasary scene. It makes me cring everytime I watch it. I would rather have Lucas use the screen time for a better padme/anakin scene, more lightsaber action, or more Jango-Windu battling.

Agreed! That was a waste of time in my opinion. I would have liked more Jango-Windu Battling as you said... Fett went out to quickly...

16. RundownJedi

RundownJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2005
    ^^^ OH MY GOSH! aside from the very bad CGI i love that scene! how Anakin tricks Padme into believing he is hurt!
    its not corny! its funny! i love it! it brings a smile to my face it don't make me cringe at ALL!

when i first saw it i smiled and thought that was very cute i loved that scene LOVED IT!

17. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    I believe it was necessary, but maybe not to that length.

It provided some back stories and expanded on their love for each other.

Without it, their falling in love is kind of... unrealistic.

18. FORCE-WIELDER1

FORCE-WIELDER1 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 8, 2004
    It provided some back stories and expanded on their love for each other.

Without it, their falling in love is kind of... unrealistic.

Good point!

when i first saw it i smiled and thought that was very cute i loved that scene LOVED IT!

You know what... I do remeber smiling on that scene as well...

19. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I don't think or see any evidence that everyone hates AotC?

The reviews overall were positive (rottentomatoes), the B.O. success was not phenomenal but still excellent, and it has lead to some other nice spinoff like the clone wars cartoon (also sucessful).

The biggest complaints I have about the movie that I think bashers whine too much about is an awkward script in some places. More time on beefing up the love story would have helped.

I think the movie was excellent.

20. TheForgottenJedi

TheForgottenJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2004
    You could just go to the bashers hang out to find out why they dont like it.

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Let's be careful about saying things like "bashers whine about..." It's basically calling them whiners. Do you like being called a whiner?

22. TheForgottenJedi

Apr 10, 2004
    Who better to tell WIEDLER1 whats wrong with the movie then a basher?

23. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    If by "failure" you mean thoroughly enjoying the film, then I suppose it was a "failure" in my eyes as well.

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    My post was directed at Darth Zoo, not at you.

25. TheForgottenJedi

Apr 10, 2004
    Thats fine Strilo but my post still stands.

The bashers hate the PT with an undying passion and will be only to happy to tell anyone why they were a "failure".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.