Beyond - Legends ~ The reason I didn't update...~ finished on ff.n, part II started

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by MsLanna, Feb 1, 2008.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Ceillean Jedi Master

star 5
    Ack! I missed the last update. Stupid me. :oops:

No more friends.
    No more family.
    No more boyfriend.
    No more boards.
    No more fanfic.
    No more degus.
    No more Horror Punk.
    Home, no more.

Oh my. The Horror!!! But adventureous still.

The horror. Red-eyed, puffy-faced, and wearing a shirt with a stupid-looking fat dormouse, I was going to see the Grand Admiral.

[face_laugh]

In my daydreams it had always been a bit more - pleasing.

*coughs* :D I do think most of us Thrawn FanGirls envision a meeting with him to be...well, pleasing. For lack of a better word.

"I hope for your sake that your information is correct." It was a threat and a promise at the same time.

I could not look at him. I looked at my hands. "I hope for yours, that they are not."

I really liked this part. Maybe canon timeline won't come true and he'll live? Who knows?

Great update! =D= =D=
  2. moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South

star 6
    Great update, I loved it. :D
  3. Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus

star 4
    ;)

Due to your trust in my albiet lacking beta skills, of course you know how much I love this story's concept.

And of course you also know this was my favorite chapter, er, 'excuse as to not updating' to boot! :D

Bravo!

=D=
  4. MsLanna Jedi Master

star 6
    Daughter, Darth_MU? I hope that's not canon. Also, I hope that I will never have to worry about his family.[face_not_talking]

I love that bit, too, Vadey. Probably the best way to impress him, right?:p

Thanks for introducing fudge riplle into the GFFA, Alexis. [:D] The conversation would have less fun without it. Besides, it makes for great dessert....

:p Ceillean. Pleasing doesn't begin to derscribe it. And what can I do about canon?:_| And if I do, what will canon do to me?[face_worried]

Thank you, moose. I'm trying my best to be normal before I suddenly turn into Instant Mary Sue?.:p

Ale![:D] Just for your information, I did change that, but in the beta version. So when I posted the 'corrected' version, it was not corrected at all.:oops: Come and join me in the GFFA, there's alway space for one more.:p

Note: Next weeks update might or might not come. I'm at the Jedi-Con and have no idea where I'll have my head.8-}

Seven

I woke up - sometime. Nobody had deemed it necessary to tell me what time it was here, but I felt sure, it was morning somewhere. It always was.

The plan to roll over and just pretend awakening had never happened was thwarted by the bunk, though. Nobody in his right mind would consider sleeping on it longer than necessary, actually, nobody in his tight mind would consider sleeping on it at all. I yawned and sat up. My shoulders felt pretty cramped and there were spots dancing before my eyes. I was not sure if that was just my normal lack of iron or if the 'medication' had anything to do with it.

The headache creeping into focus, let me suspect the later. It started somewhere behind my head, and seeped slowly through my skull. Once it had arrived, it threw a party, though. A part pogoed against the inside of my skull with abandon, while another bit did a Russian boot dance on my optic nerve.

I rubbed my eyes vigorously, but the headache refused to be impressed. Instead, one of my contacts decided that this was a good time to take off. I caught it just in time, but then did have problems to insert it again. It was dry as toast and felt like I was trying to insert a brick into my eye. After some deliberation, I tried some spittle. It worked, as far as the lens attached itself to my pupil again, still it felt more like sandpaper than a proper contact. If I didn't get to do something about that, I would spent the remainder of my time her blind as a mole.

Teh Mole Game! I would so lose, I would miss three challenges and thus even fail to get an interesting death scene. And people would worry where I was. Fortunately, the pain in my head throbbed too bad for me to follow that train of thought. I rubbed my forehead and temples, but I didn't even feel the pressure. If I wasn't so scared that my head would fall off, if I banged it against the bulkhead, I would have. But I was rather attached to my head and wanted to keep it that way.

I lean against the bulkhead, trying not to vomit, mostly because I hadn't eaten anything anyway. Either the engines were in a very bad shape suddenly, or the shaking came from me. I suspected the latter, but was unable to confirm it, since I had to steady the bed with my hands and thus could not bring them up before my eyes to see how badly I was shaking.

After I managed not to throw up by breathing as deeply as my shaking allowed, and also imagining how nobody would come to clean up afterwards, and how I was certainly in no shape to reach the toilet, my stomach decided to growl with hunger instead. The machinations of the body - I'll never understand it.

Another thing hit me suddenly. I had no idea how many actual days I was here already. Which meant I had only a vague way to measure how long it would be until I was I for a red surprise. I just hoped there were some women aboard this ship, because if not, I might be in trouble where provisions for that case were concerned. The troub/>
  5. Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master

star 4
    Ack, multiple headaches at the same time are... well, something that would violate TOS for sure. I feel for you!

Great update. =D=
  6. Ceillean Jedi Master

star 5
    Oh, poor Mellana! I don't even want to imagine how bored she must have gotten.
    But I laughed a few times. The headache part was really funny and the disgusting breakfast?
    [face_laugh]

Great update!
  7. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Still, nothing happened.
    I was more bored than before, now that I couldn't even concentrate on not vomiting or such. Very bored. Even more bored. You have no idea how bored.

But nothing happened at all

And I got so bored out of my wits, that I forgot to update here.

[face_laugh] =D=
  8. Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus

star 4
    That was boring. Wow. [face_plain]

:p

Although you renewed my mild curiousity as to how hyperspace travel may affect the ladies' cycle...[face_laugh]

P.S. Don't vomit.

9. MsLanna Jedi Master

star 6
    Well, the Convention did get me. But is was fun, more fun than multiple headaches anyway.:p

Alexis - Thanks, I already feel much better. [:D] Wonder how long that will last...

At least one of us is having fun, Ceillean. :p

You seem to like boredom, Vadey. Not having enough in your own life?o_O

[face_plain] Ale. I have no idea how it affects the cycle, but I do know what happens when you stop taking the pill. Each and every time.;)

Eight

I must have fallen asleep, because the hiss of the opening door awoke me. Another Imperial entered, and to my amazement I was almost bored with them by now, nifty uniforms or not.

"Follow me."

Now that was nice. No 'good morning how did you sleep?' or 'Did you get nightmares from the drugs, how are the cramps from the hard bunk?'. No. I yawned hastily and got up. The floor was unexpectedly cooperative, and though I did not see clearly yet, I managed to stumble after the officer. I probably looked as clueless as the dormouse on my shirt.

Oh my. I was still in the same clothes I arrived in. And I was here for how long now? Did I really want to know? It was getting yukky now, and no, I did not want to know how long Princess Leia had probably been in detention. In just one dress. I resisted the urge to smell at my shirt, but if they kept me like that a bit longer, I might just be able to break free by using my socks as biological weapons.

The room I was finally shoved in was tiny again, just a table, one chair, and a screen.

"Sit."

Now he was really a talkative one. I obeyed and then groped around the table, just in case there was some invisible breakfast around. But no such luck. I yawned again. "Breakfast?" I inquired.

Instead, the screen lit up.

"Tell what happens, before it happens."

I stared at him, then back at the screen. A few red blips had already appeared, and now, they were joined by some green dots.

"Oh," I mumbled. "Seems like the scouts from the Obroa-Skai information raid are back.

"Well, those green blips are probably the squad that the Grand admiral just sent to meet the intruders, one of them get shot - yup there he goes." I thought about the man who had a second been alive and now gone. It was probably a good plan overall, but for him?

"Well, they're recalled now and the ship will turn to do a Marg Sabl. However that is spelled and pronounced. And that because that nifty manoeuvre just now told the Admrial that the leader of the opposite force is Elom. I think it was Elom, and because of that, he cannot react to a properly executed Marg Sable. Has something to do with chaotic structure or something."

I paused to look at the screen. How many people were there aboard each of the red blips? One at least, maybe two, what if there was a frigate or something like that in the task force? The books never said. A host of green blips appeared on the screen, swerving apparently at random, but closing in on the red dot nevertheless. I could understand the poor Elom, this looked like chaos incarnate.

"Anyway, none of the intruders will survive." It sounded a lot different now than it had in the books. Already, the red dots started to blink out, scrambling across the screen in mad disorder. And each of them, had living people in it. Each light that went out, was a life destroyed, a family torn apart

All red blips blinked out. It took some time, and watching was not pleasant. I almost winced when another vanished. And another. And another. It was a relief when they were all gone, and I wondered how people could stand it, to knowingly wipe out other people, to kill just because- yeah, just because of what? Suddenly, I did not feel hungry the least. I kept staring at the monitor even after it went blank. War was all very nice, if you were not there to feel it.

The hand that descended on my shoulder, almost made me jump over the table. "Follow me."

I looked up at the Imperial who seemed unfazed by wha/>
  10. Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I tried to remember that switch for alter use. Otherwise, the water usage of the ship was about to increase dramatically.

[face_laugh]

The screen lit up and - well, there was something on it, written, for all I could tell. And why the hell, did I learn elfish runes? I shut down the display, grumbling over the cruel injustice that made this galaxy so consistent. I could not read a single letter of aurabesh.

[face_laugh]

I'm loving how you spin all the things we take for granted while reading the EU.

Excellenté MsL!!!
    =D=

P.S. I do know what happens when you stop taking the pill. Each and every time.
    Well then, thanks for sharing...:p
  11. MsLanna Jedi Master

star 6
    You know, Ale, I just love how you manage to quote one of the few remaining typos.[face_laugh]
  12. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I must have fallen asleep, because the hiss of the opening door awoke me. Another Imperial entered, and to my amazement I was almost bored with them by now, nifty uniforms or not.

"Follow me."

Now that was nice. No 'good morning how did you sleep?' or 'Did you get nightmares from the drugs, how are the cramps from the hard bunk?'.

[face_laugh] =D=
  13. Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Master

star 6
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Lanna, you are hilarious! [face_laugh] If I were to quote all my favourite parts, I'd have to quote all of it. :p

[face_laugh]

Great stuff!
  14. MsLanna Jedi Master

star 6
    Well, Ale, I'm following a great writers advice: take something ridiculous and see it through in all the stupid details.:D Oh, how I will come to hate them.[face_laugh] Hope you don't get too much of my 'sharing' of information here.

Thanks Vadey. Guess, I'll have to get used to the Imperial way of doing things.[face_worried]

Glad you like it, Idrelle. If you want to know the short way of quoting whole posts, pm me. I found a very concise way.[face_devil]

On with the show.[face_plain]

Nine

Something beeped in my dreams. An annoying, high-pitched beep that just didn't stop. I began to wonder if it was the alarm clock of my neighbour; it certainly wasn't mine. My alarm clock was fourteen years old and shouted me out of sleep in Klingon. I had tried everything else, from huge metal bells that caused an earthquake to roll be out of bed to timed radio and getting up to music. Nothing worked very long. Except this one. Admittedly, after fourteen years, nothing much was left of the TNG-Enterprise on top of it, the last engine had just broken off, but the clock was never late, and the Klingon always got me out of bed. 'Enterprise hivlu' indeed.

The beeping didn't stop. I rolled over and opened an eye, peering around. I was in no place where my alarm clock could reach me, but a small light on the terminal blinked in time with the beeping. Yawning, I got up and shuffled to the desk. Intuitively, I hit the button and an annoyed Imperial looked at me.

"Why are you not in conference room Esk114?"

Oh-ha, snappy answers in the morning. Completely not my specialty. I tried to look as little bleary as possible. "Because I'm here?"

"The system is positive that you did read your schedule yesterday. Why did you not adhere to it?"

My, he was unhappy with me alright. His imperial indignation poured over me like a waterfall. At least, I now knew what I had been looking at yesterday. My schedule, how considerate.

"So that's what it was," I guessed I sounded sheepish. "I can't read aurebesh, you see, so I had no idea."

"You can't read."

"Aurebesh. I can't read aurebesh. I am simply used to different looking letters." I sighed.

"I'll send someone." He broke the connection.

Well, good enough for me. I had time to figure out the sonic part of the shower. With luck. And could continue my quest for a toothbrush, which was more difficult than it should be. And by now, I must have had real rancor breath. Still, first things first. I had just changed into something that looked more like an every-day jumpsuit than a sleeping-jumpsuit, to me at least, when there was more beeping. I went to the desk, but that was not it. Instead it was the doors. I looked them up and down.

"Enter."

Well, worth a try. There was still beeping and no open door. I began to look for some kind of touchpad like in the cell, but there seemed to be none. I was wondering if there was some kind remote on the desk, when the sound stopped and the door hissed open.

"Um." I said.

On the other side stood a young man, looking none too happy. Babysitting duty was probably not what he had had in mind when he joined the Empire. He saluted crisply before entering my room.

"Ensing Arn," he introduced himself. "Kassandran Arn."

"Mellanna Morrison," I replied, unsure whether to hold out my hand or not. "Sorry for all the fuss," I tried to apologize. "I am all new to the military."

"Don't worry, I don't think anybody has noticed."

Was that humour? In am Imperial? I decided to like this Kassadran Arn. "Well, I could need some help," I admitted awkwardly, beckoning him in. "Sonic showering for one, and I can't for the life of me find a toothbrush."

I didn't dare to look over my shoulder and see if he rolled his eyes. The shower turned out to be more complicated that expected. A lot of twiddling knobs and getting frequencies right was involved before you could actually shower. That had something to do with it being waves and every person have a different wavelength. An/>
  15. Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master

star 4
    I failed to respond to your last update. The reason being was um... I was in the GFFA with Sian.

Really!

I'll tell you all about it later. :p ;)

Great update. I really feel for you... having to take orders from a machine! :oops:

16. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Wow. I just hoped that in the process of that, they had also gotten rid of those nasty monthly mood-swings and all. That would be a life. That alone would make it worth to join the Empire.

Good enough for me! :D

=D=
  17. Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Master

star 6
    "You can't read."

"Aurebesh. I can't read aurebesh.

[face_laugh]

Yes, Mr. Imperial, MsLanna is not stupid! Of course she can read!

The toothbrush and sonic shower made me laugh. :p Poor you! [:D]

Was that humour? In am Imperial?

:eek:

Shocking, shocking...

:p

I could have lit the cell with my red face.

"Why?"

Erm.
    Double erm.
    And a huge red blush.

Ooh! :oops: Yeah, I wouldn't like to have to explain that either.

I pulled at it, and indeed, it came off and was a pad. It came to live, stating my next destination and began to order me around. 'Turn left'. Oh, joy.

Ugh! Taking orders from machines! [:D] [:D]

Reason I'm happy I'm not living with Imperials right now. :p

And that is the reason, I didn't update here.

Well, since you're on such a crazy adventure, you are hereby excused for not updating here. :p

18. Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Maybe I'm over analyzing this chapter, but it's very Thrawn-like that when Arn shows up, he didn't just read the screen to you, but instructed you on how to do it yourself. Teaching self reliance, very Thrawn of him.

So they've been stashing "the pill" in your food, eh???

Arn seems like a very nice addition, possibly a romantic one???? :p

Thank goodness he showed you the "toothbrush", Thrawn wouldn't find you such a good conversationalist anymore.

=D=

19. MsLanna Jedi Master

star 6
    Alexis - Oooh, forgive. Updates on you and Sian are very much appreciated. :D

Vadey - If they put that in their ads, the Empire would never lack volunteers. See you there. ;)

Idrelle - Imperials, they don't think straight.;) But maybe things will improve. Life can't suck forever, right? Right? [face_worried]
    And thatnkls for exucing me. I appreciate.:D

Ale - Erm, mostly I was just writing what I thought sensible. Of course, I now am happy that Thrawn would do the same.:D
    And there is no romance intended in this whatsoever. And didn't I say he was 'young'.:p

Ten

Those Imperials, I tell you. Or I would, but after that test, I was so exhausted, I was glad, I didn't collapse at Arn's feet. I was even redder in the face than at the most embarrassing moment before, and additionally I was huffing and puffing like a steam train short of water. Everybody who passed the tests here, probably won an ironman at home with no problem.

I learned that there was a perfunctory way to use sonic showers, which was probably better for all involved. The procedure prickled on my skin and it felt as if all my hair stood on end, but it was a far cry from feeling actually clean. Arn had done little but stand around and chat amiably with my torturer. He looked almost bored when he handed back my pad.

The annoying thing lit up immediately, I suspect it's coded to the current owner via something, if not even DNA. Seems I needed to see some doctors now, and the way 'turn left, hurry up.' Well, I felt as if I could need a doctor, or a two week holiday at the beach. Hurry up, was not on my list. Still, I accelerated my steps.

I got to the a shrink. Now. Somebody explain the inner workings of the Empire to me, because I didn't get it. Arn was banished from the room, though I bet he had the chance to listen in from somewhere. The session was rather short, though. I was asked about my fears, traumata, indications for depressions or other mental illnesses and my hopes. Pretty much in that order. It was probably the 'end on something nice' tactic, after all, you remember the last bit best. Then I was to do some connotations, which turned out fun. But it is not my fault the man had never heard of horror punk, fanfic or Chobits before. Also it was probably frowned upon, to ask back. But what am I to answer when asked if, given the opportunity, I had joined the Empire rather than the Rebellion? And being a man, he probably did not understand what monthly mood-swing have to do with anything. He should watch that documentation about the guy taking pills to go through cycles one day. Or stay home with his wife for longer than a week.

Anyway, blotches of ink were next, and there were no problems with 'butterfly', but already 'dandelion' needed some explanation, not to mention 'drunk elephant'. I tired to improve the situation by saying I saw blotches of ink, that were mirrored in the middle, but he didn't like that approach. I think, he was taking all that rather serious. In the end he just showed me a picture and we talked until we were both sure to have understood the other correctly. That way, we only managed half of the images, but it was a kind of fun.

Afterwards I valiantly followed the instructions of my pad - back to my room. Seemed, I was not going to have lunch with the others. Too bad, it would have been interesting. Not that cared much right now. I plopped down on the bed, ignoring my lunch for the longest time. But considering that I had to get going soon anyway, and nobody really cared what I though about it, I decided to at least sulk with my stomach full.

There was some equivalent of salad, sliced meat in sauce with brown bits, and puree that looked like potato, but tasted more like fresh ground bark smelled. Since I like that smell, it was fine. Somehow, you never realise how bad your vocabulary is for describing strange food, until there is nothing else to eat. For dessert, there was a red />
  20. Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master

star 4
    Well at least you aren't bored anymore.
  21. Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus

star 4
    And with a single off-hand comment, MsLanna erased the EU farce that would be known to Star Wars fans as the NJO...forever! :p

The small conference room was adorned only with the Grand Admiral. Somebody could have warned me. I glared at the pad, which didn't even try to look embarrassed but just blinked a message in aurebesh at me.
    [face_laugh]

I'm screaming in my head that "C'Boath and the Noghri need to be eliminated! Tell him!"

It's all so exciting!

;)
  22. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Wonderful!!!!!

There was some equivalent of salad, sliced meat in sauce with brown bits, and puree that looked like potato, but tasted more like fresh ground bark smelled. Since I like that smell, it was fine. Somehow, you never realise how bad your vocabulary is for describing strange food, until there is nothing else to eat. For dessert, there was a red blob that was mostly sweet and tasted like artificial cherry aroma. So close to home.

For some reason, out of all that great stuff, this stood out for me. I don't know why, but it did. :D

=D=
  23. MsLanna Jedi Master

star 6
    I am not sure that is a good thing, Alexis. :p

Don't tell me you'd mourn the loss of NJO, Ale. And scream at me all you want, I'm far, far away and can't hear you.:p

Maybe you get nostalgia, too, from a well done fake-cherry-aroma, Vadey? I know it works for me.:)

Eleven

Well, the rest of the day was mostly 'appraising my physical and psychological state', which meant getting nekkid in front of a small army if Imperial doctors and have my contacts taken away. They called them 'artificial enhancers' which sounded a lot better. Not that that seemed to help any. The mere idea of being unable to have my eyes set straight seemed to lower their opinion of me several notches. Provided there was still a 'lower' to go to.

At least, Arn was not around as I had several gallons of blood taken. The missing fluid was immediately refilled with shots against all and everything. The GFFA was huge and there were as many diseases around as planets. I felt as if I had run into a horde of rabid hedgehogs. They also ripped out a strand of hair, probably to check my drug abuse history. I hoped chococino did not show up in the hair structure.

I returned to my room blind as a mole. Not that that helped any. I had some reading to do, rather boring stuff about the makeup of a Star Destroyer, but that was as well. I couldn't remember a word for concentrating so hard on deciphering the letters. It took forever and a few headaches to finish the assigned text. But that was not all. For better practice, Arn asked me to write a summary of it. By hand.

Good thing he left me alone then, because I was close to giving in to the dark side and trying to suffocate him - with my socks, since I was as force sensitive as toast. I sat down grumbling, and began to read again. Frigging Sith can take aurebesh, they probably invented it just to annoy me anyway.

By the time dinner arrived, I had almost understood everything. Only that it still didn't make much sense. I had always firmly believed that technobabble was a Star Trek problem, but it seemed that engineers over here also liked to know how their ships worked. As far as I was concerned, I though a hyperdrive and hydrospanner were all you needed.

I sulked over my dinner, remembering the time when all I had to do in case of doubt was ask wookieepedia, or make something up. What wouldn't I give, but, oh, in vain. I sighed and tried not to drown in my self-pity. Suddenly I stopped short. Yes, what wouldn't I give, but how long would I remember that one? Given the current state of my head, how long would I remember anything?

Shoving the tray away, I closed my eyes, placed my fingers on the keyboard and frantically tried to calm down. Then I typed right away. 'Lament' was easy, as where the first lines of 'Medora', but after the first stanzas I had to really think, and then there was still 'No solution'. I would never get that together again, not to mention all the German stuff. My hands hovered over the keyboards. Suddenly I wanted to cry and batter the display to pieces with my head. I would never get everything together again. Never.

When the world began to turn again, the screen was blank again, the file empty. I picked up the lightpen and got to work on the summary. I needed to concentrate on something completely different, if I didn't want to crack up right there and then. In the end it was half a page of horrible hieroglyphs, but I didn't care. I curled up under the blanket trying to shut out the realisation of what I had lost. Which seemed to become ever more, as I desperately tried to remember everything. But I was fighting a lost battle and I knew it.

Still, I fought. I had to. I couldn't just give all that up, could I? So I fought until I fell asleep.

And that is the reason I didn't update here

/>
  24. Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master

star 4
    Good thing he left me alone then, because I was close to giving in to the dark side and trying to suffocate him - with my socks, since I was as force sensitive as toast. I sat down grumbling, and began to read again. Frigging Sith can take aurebesh, they probably invented it just to annoy me anyway.

I almost spit my coffee at the screen at this point as I cracked up laughing. Great update. =D=
  25. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    When the world began to turn again, the screen was blank again, the file empty. I picked up the lightpen and got to work on the summary. I needed to concentrate on something completely different, if I didn't want to crack up right there and then. In the end it was half a page of horrible hieroglyphs, but I didn't care. I curled up under the blanket trying to shut out the realisation of what I had lost. Which seemed to become ever more, as I desperately tried to remember everything. But I was fighting a lost battle and I knew it.

Still, I fought. I had to. I couldn't just give all that up, could I? So I fought until I fell asleep.

And that is the reason I didn't update here

I'm always happy to see a new post here! =D=
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade