main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Reason why George Lucas needs to make episodes 7-8-9

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by JediofAlcatraz, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    This, it is over. There is no more story to tell at this point.

2. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    Not about the Big 3 at least.

By the way i like your new icon.

3. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    I am 100% against the creation of more SW movies ...

Unless they are reboots of the prequels, that is. I'm all for those. =P~

4. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Except as GL had planned from 80-99:

Their main theme will be the necessity for moral choices and the wisdom needed to distinguish right from wrong.

"If the first trilogy is social and political and talks about how society evolves, Star Wars is more about personal growth and self realization, and the third deals with moral and philosophical problems. The sequel is about Jedi Knighthood, justice, confrontation, and passing on what you have learned."

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I agree. I want to see a sequel trilogy set some years after ROTJ.

6. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    The problem with this is the story changed.

7. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    How? The PT still followed it's outline.

8. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    The story has now become the tragedy of Darth Vader, didn't Lucas say once Vader is dead, Star Wars is over, or something along that lines?

9. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    What has changed can be changed again.

10. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    You mean like Lucas said Star Wars was "from the Adventures of Luke Skywalker?"

As others have said, if he changed his mind once there's no reason he can't do it again.

11. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    Fine, point taken, but seriously what story would he tell?

12. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Like I keep sayin', instead of going forwards, go backwards, start fresh-new characters, new storyline, same Star Wars! There's some GREAT stuff that would make a pretty solid trilogy that take place 2000 some odd years before the Clone Wars.

13. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Their main theme will be the necessity for moral choices and the wisdom needed to distinguish right from wrong.

If the first trilogy is social and political and talks about how society evolves, Star Wars is more about personal growth and self realization, and the third deals with moral and philosophical problems. The sequel is about Jedi Knighthood, justice, confrontation, and passing on what you have learned.

14. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    The outline stated is just a handful of broad concepts, not an actual storyline. GL could come up with a new trilogy based on such concepts, regardless of how ROTJ & the PT have affected whatever plot he originally had in mind before abandoning the sequel trilogy - if he ever had one at all.

What does stand in the way of eps VII-IX happening is that their very necessity has been made somewhat redundant by the way eps I-VI have been structured. The six episode saga follows a story arc which is effectively resolved by ep VI. Anakin has risen, fallen, then been redeemed, Luke has come of age & redeemed his father, the Sith & the Empire have been defeated. What happens next is pretty much "They all lived happily ever after."

Of course there could be more stories - the EU has continued rather effectively, although one could say that they've been flogging a dead horse for a while. It's worth considering why Tolkien abandoned his sequel to LOTR, The New Shadow:

"I did begin a story placed about 100 years after the Downfall, but it proved both sinister and depressing. Since we are dealing with Men it is inevitable that we should be concerned with the most regrettable feature of their nature: their quick satiety with good. So that the people of Gondor in times of peace, justice and prosperity, would become discontented and restless ? while the dynasts descended from Aragorn would become just kings and governers ? like Denethor or worse. I found that even so early there was an outcrop of revolutionary plots, about a centre of secret Satanistic religion; while Gondorian boys were playing at being Orcs and going around doing damage. I could have written a 'thriller' about the plot and its discovery and overthrow ? but it would have been just that. Not worth doing."
    ? The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter 256

Likewise, any story past ROTJ & the fall of the Empire would have dealt with infighting, political squabbling, & threats from lesser villains. Also, just as further tales of Middle Earth wouldn't have been as interesting without the powerful threats of Morgoth & Sauron, any new villains would just pale in comparison to Palpatine & Vader.

15. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    That's been my main skepticism of a sequel trilogy.

Who would the villains of the piece be?

16. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

Killer Rabid Ewoks?

17. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Cloned killer rabid ewoks?

18. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    I've actually seen a parody Star Wars novel where the Ewoks take over the galaxy. It's just posted as a few excerpts. I'd post a link, but Luke gets very, ah, "personal" with an issue of Twi'lek Teen. Apparently this is before he meets the Emperor's Hand, pun intended.

19. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    as long as the Skywalker/Solo family are at its centre.

but I'd hope they'd move beyond the Sith/Empire stories of the EU. - by that I mean the EU keeps bringing back Empires and Sith making all our heroes sufferings pointless and meaning Anakin did not restore balance.

what would the "WARS" bit concern though. we'd need a new race of villains that can threatened the Jedi.

20. jedijason330

jedijason330 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2005
    If you are going to use anything in the EU, I suggest using the New Jedi Order. They definetely get into ethical questions there, and the enemies are not the Empire. I think it could work. Only thing is, I think you would want more than 3 movies for it.

21. Dark_Jedi_Chris

Dark_Jedi_Chris Jedi Youngling

Jul 12, 2009
    The Saga is perfectly fine how lucas left it. I think that their is no need for a 7-8-9th episode

And by the way Harrison Ford and The rest of the cast are kind of old

22. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Age doesn't have anything to do with it. Alec Guinness was old too.

23. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Harrison Ford is too old?
    Of all the original cast, he is in the best shape and remains the most capable to return. Did you not see Indy IV? He did most of the stunts himself.

24. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    And it's not like Lucas wouldn't be doing everything with CGI anyways.

25. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Why not do a trilogy about the Skywalker family, beyond Luke's generation or the generation of his son?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.