main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Reason why George Lucas needs to make episodes 7-8-9

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by JediofAlcatraz, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    He's changed his mind before, so you never know, but at this point I don't see Lucas wanting to devote the decade it would require for him to make a new trilogy.

Maybe a different approach, though? For a while I thought it would be cool to see a "Star Wars 2" of sorts, something that's not part of the I-VI saga yet still serves as an additional sequel to the original film. It could even take place at the same time A New Hope is going on, but feature an all new cast of a rebels off on some adventure that, while not quite as big as the Death Star showdown, is still important in its own right.

Or something else. There's tons of ways a new Star Wars one-shot could work. Young Yoda movie. An adventure from the founding days of the Republic. A Luke coda of some sort (which might fit well symbolically as one film instead of three since Hamill is the only one of the original three that I could see as willing to reprise the role).

Again, it's unlikely, but with Lucas you never know.

2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    This is the way I also see any further features happening (ironically, the way GL envisioned it way back in 1977-78, a continuing series of stories not necessarily following chronological order), as opposed to continuing the 'saga', i.e. there won't be a "Star Wars: Episode VII". He's well & truly abandoned the concept of another actual trilogy.

However, I can also see himself distancing himself somewhat from any new features, allowing other people to play in the GFFA (again, an old concept he came up with post-ANH). He's completed his saga to his own satisfaction, time to pass the lightsaber on to the next generation.

Again, all this is separate from "Episodes VII-IX", the actual Sequel Trilogy that was intended, but never came to pass. zombie covers just about everything that's ever been revealed about it in his book, but there's room for further speculation & discussion - I'm tempted to start another thread to discuss the original ST specifically, as opposed to what should or could be dealt with from now on. Mods, any objections?

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    go for it!

4. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    To each his own as they say, but I can't really see why George Should make Episode VII, VIII & IX

In my oppinion the story has been told and Star Wars is complete. New editions with enhanced effects or extended scene etc. is fine with me, but that is it.

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Even if the sequels included the trio of heroes from the OT in new adventures?

6. starwarsfanrol

starwarsfanrol Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2009
    A reeson why is so we can turn star wars in to a more popular saga. I think episode 7 should be about luke starting the new jedi order that would be fun to see. Star wars rules[face_dancing]

7. klooney

klooney Jedi Master star 1

Jul 2, 2009
    Yes, in fact I visited every page it had on archive for the official site thinking it might reveal exactly what I was describing, remembering that archive right after making my last post. Many archive pages of course do NOT include the original graphics, just the text, so graphic navigational interfaces are missing. The archive however does not store everything, as you can see in it's record there are considerable gaps in the timeline. This is not unusual as I can see from the archives of multiple web sites (including ones I have run in the now distant past) that it does not store everything.

What does it mean if I did see what I and others distinctly remember seeing? Well, absolutely nothing. GL has obviously changed his mind before about things, as I am sure he will continue to do so. (And he may not have been responsible for what was seen on the site by multiple people) There's no way he doesn't at least at times contemplate continuing the trilogies, I am sure it has occurred to him. As a human being, Star Wars is the legacy he will be remembered for, and I am sure the characters have at least as much meaning to him personally as his most ardent fans. He doesn't have to continue these stories for the money.

Committing to a new trilogy would be a tough decision because it means years of very hard work. A new trilogy would also inevitably face massive amounts of criticism. Even if these turned out to be the most fantastic films ever made and made tons of money, there would still be a lot of complaints. The prequel trilogy is continually slammed by critics, despite being as equally ambitious, cutting edge technically (and flawed), as the OT. These films are immense undertakings with thousands of individual people involved, maddening budgets and schedules, and each one exponentially more difficult to placate the loudest fans. I suspect GL would want to do them, but it's a lot of pressure. I believe we will get the sequel trilogy eventually, and unlike the prequels, we won't know what's coming. (How many years did we wait to see the fight scene between Obi Wan and Anakin? LOL)

Anyhow I saw VII-VIII-IX on the web site, as did others. Like I said before, this isn't some fantastical claim, and there are numerous possible explanations as to why this was on there whether VII-VIII-IX get made or not.

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Just to point out- the prequels were not that critically thrashed, and of course they made piles of money. By normal Hollywood logic, that should guarantee follow-up films.

Of course, we all know George doesn't work like that.

But yeah. It seems this year has seen alot of false-start sequel film news, more than usual, anyway. Any ideas why?

9. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Most likely a lot of miscommunication stemming from the fact that TCW is around (& it did have a theatrical run), plus production on the live-action series is gearing up.

Not to mention the fact that GL has stated that there might be room for more features (as well as saying there won't be), he once made a throwaway remark about a feature about the 'Old, Old Republic' possibly being an idea.

The saga's over, but new feature length episodes will be along eventually, it's somewhat inevitable - just how they're primarily distributed is the real question. 3-D in theatres? Pay-per-view HDTV? Something new altogether? I think this is what could be the really interesting aspect of any Star Wars sequel films.

10. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Especially since there is a Lucas quote about TV being the appropriate medium to work in if you're looking to tell a story. When he said that I was skeptical (and much younger) but while watching LOST and BSG, I have come to understand what he meant.

11. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    It's about the only way a near-100% faithful adaptation of the Lord Of The Rings could ever really be done, if you wanted to include absolutely everything (nothing against the ones that were made). If anyone ever decides to tackle the Silmarillion, I can't see how it could be done as theatrical features without ripping the guts out of the story.

Television is no longer the cheap & nasty cousin of the movies, the production values are getting to the point where a TV show could be exhibited theatrically & no one could tell the difference. The only real difference is the budgets & schedules, which force TV to do everything cheaper & quicker. If the likes of LFL want to throw all their resources at a guaranteed success like Star Wars on TV, there's no reason the episodes can't end up like a series of 1-hour feature films.

I don't think the feature film structure is dead, but it's not the only game in town anymore if you want to make something good.

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Eh, I don't think The Silmarillion could ever be really adapted to any sort of visual medium-you'd practically have to invent dialogue out of thin air, for one thing.

13. klooney

klooney Jedi Master star 1

Jul 2, 2009
    The big problem for television content vs. feature films is the time constraints of the format and the sheer amount of content that must be generated to fill up a "season" of DVD-sellable content. A film can vary in length, depending on how it works during editing, and have a single script that can be continually tweaked for the duration of a production, and a single cut that can be edited down until the last minute by a single director. A 12-20 hour season of television episodes, all must have stories bloated or compressed to fit exact episode lengths. The sheer amount of content that must be generated and managed by multiple different parties inevitably means that every element of every episode is going to vary in quality, consistency, tone, etc.

The Clone Wars animated program is no doubt a testing ground for how to approach writing and producing an entire pre-planned multi-season set of overall story lines, and assemble and break in an experienced team to approach the live action series. It's phenomenal for a cartoon, and more Star Wars content is always going to be appreciated, but it still suffers the classic problems of television time constraints. The feature film format is probably going to remain the more ideal medium for telling a visual story.

In the case of the Star Wars Live Action show, there may be enough pre-production time, budget and talent involved that a hundred-hour series could be amazing. Prequel casting of a television actor like Jimmy Smits was a string hint that pre-planning for the option of a television continuation has been long in the works. I can imagine that as long as there's no great rush to finish it all, it could be amazing, and I would assume at least a single theatrically released pilot like with the clone wars cartoon.

14. MasterJane423

MasterJane423 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2009
    I'm glad someone pointed this out. I couldn't agree more.
    Plus, I'd be too weird to see someone else playing our favorite characters. [face_worried]

15. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    Why not just a spin-off movie of the live-action series? I think it's possible.

16. DarkFather13

DarkFather13 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2002
    Remember there has to be a 20 difference in the time frame from Episode VI to the proposed Episode VII...Leia would be looking more like Aunt Beru by this time....All the actors could portray themselves, but are they really necessary....new characters need developing, the first 6 were a circle and the circle is complete....If new stories are put on film, then go back in time to the KOTR age or 200 years into the future....

17. juliant

juliant Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2010
    Rightly said. Imagination is more important than knowledge.

18. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I have to completely disagree that GL should make episodes 7-9. First of all, I don't think it'll ever happen, but that's kind of a moot point, since from the mid-80's through much of the '90's many people didn't think Episodes 1-3 would ever come out, either.

However, though the beginnings of DV was a story that that really needed to be told, I really don't believe that Episodes 7-9 should ever be made, for the following reasons:

- Even though I like a lot of the EU, I can completely see why some fans don't and only see the films as being the "canon" stories of the characters. That being said, as far as I'm concerned the adventures of Luke, Leia, Han, etc. ended at the end of ROTJ. The final scene with Luke seeing the ghost of Anakin, Obi-wan, and Yoda, and then being led back to his friends by Leia was a great ending (in film) for these characters, and should stay that way - i.e., if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

- I have absolutely 0 interest in seeing an aged Luke, Han, Leia, etc. onscreen. As I posted in another thread, it would remind me too much of watching those old geezers in the ST films back in the late '80's and '90's.

- The post-ROTJ adventures of Luke, Leia, Han, and co. have all been told in the numerous EU novels and comics, most of which came out from 1991-on. So, if you're into finding out about the adventures of these characters after ROTJ, there have been almost 20 years worth of new stories that you can read (more actually, if you count the late '70's and '80's novels like SOTME and the Marvel comic series). And, anything GL would make post-ROTJ would almost certainly contradict this EU.

19. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The first two points of your post are completely valid issues concerning why Lucas should *not* make a ST.
    But the third one focusing on the EU is not. Lucas contradicted plenty of EU with the PT, is doing so in the CW show, and would likely choose to do so if he ever decided to do a ST(but I agree the odds are slim he would).
    Lucas doesn't really care that much for what comes out of publishing if he feels a need to tell a story in that same era.

20. JediMasterKendo

JediMasterKendo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2000
    I don't know why but I keep having this wild idea that I would love to see in a possible Star Wars Episode VII to IX movies

the movies should have the plot from the Heir the Empire Trilogy. Dont put in too much of the movie or else all three Episodes VII to IX are gonna be long long like the Lord of the Rings movies.

I'd love to see the movie version of Thrawn portrayed by at least Jeffrey Combs? He's got the look and voice.

Also the producers and George will have to use some movie magic to make Mark Hamill and Harrison look a little younger in the movie by makeup or something.

I just want to see the old Original Trilogy cast in a new Star Wars movie for one last time before die of old age later on in my life LOL

21. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    The more I understand about the Star Wars films, the less desire I have for an extended story. As obvious as it is to the naked eye that movies 1-3 are about Anakin, Luke's story compliments Anakin's, and there really is no story left to tell. I'm quite pleased with the EU's place in the post-saga timeline.

22. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Agreed.Besides Episode VI ends Anakin's story (which began in 1-3) nicely. So I'm 100% against new movies.

23. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I'd rather just see the 6 movies re-done with 3D effects added. Sorry but RotS or TESB in 3D would be JUST as cool as Avatar.

24. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    If anything, I would love to see a tv show or maybe animated feature detailing the adventures of the big three in the timefrane between ANH and ROTS.

Pretty much they have the post ROTJ period filled with comics and novels..

25. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Unless Luke has a son.

Then you have:

-Fall of the Republic/Anakin
    -Battle for the Empire/Luke
    -Re-Building of the Republic/Skywalker 3

Would complete the storyline in the structure you envision. Because, galactically speaking, the conflict has ended but not been resolved. Trilogy 1: set up/rising action. Trilogy 2:conflict/action. Trilogy 3: conclusion/resolution. Each stage represented by a generation of Skywalkers.

Could work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.