main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The reason why Star Wars is so great

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by classified, Oct 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. classified

classified Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    I think that the biggest reason that Star wars is so widely appreciated and loved, is because it is different from any other Sci-fi. It is not about men in silver suits chasing little green aliens (or visa versa). It is deep and allegorical on every level. The events that happen in star wars can be interprited as so many thing. WWII, the Bible, Budhism.

The story is not as simple as good vs evil. Who is good and who IS evil? If you watch TPM, we have the baddies and the goddies, but then as you go over through the films, those roles reverse. We dont know who is good and who is bad. Even when watching ANH, we think that the Empire are bad, but that is just the views of the rebels, who are in essense: terrorists. Luke is a terrorist. Of course, we see manifestations of Evil within Tarkin and Sidious esp. when tarkin gives the go-ahed to destroy Alderan. When he does that, we think its terrible, but we dont bat an eye to the fat that Luke kills everyone onboard the Death Star (who are not all bad. Only Tarkin) which probably amounts to the 100,000s.

We like Star Wars because there is so much on it to think about. There is so much story, in all the films + EU and it makes your imagination blosom. it Its like a history lesson and i think that star wars IS like futuristic Ancient history. When you think of Jedi temples and sith temples, i think of them like aztec temples. Really old and spooky. And cool.

2. Darth_Apollo

Darth_Apollo Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2005
    In a nutshell: any film with highly religious themes centered around family is ALWAYS a hit.

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003

Star Wars isn't sci-fi at all, it's a fairy-tale set in a futuristic place.

4. TCG

TCG Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 2005
    ^^
    why cant it be sci-fi and a fairy-tale, and for that matter, a space opera?

classified, you certainly have a point, but i dont think its necessarily the depth, or hidden meanings that make SW a huge hit. kubrick has those in all his movies, yet few of them would be considered a hit (assuming a hit means box office success). there are lots of sci-fi movies with depth: 2001, Matrix, blade runner... but the thing that makes SW such a hit, imo, are the characters. we love luke and han and yoda and chewie. i mean, we really feel like we know them. so, on some level, its that personal connection that i think makes the films as loved as they are.

another reason ANH was such a gigantic smash in '77 was the sfx. no one had ever done anything like it before (outside of 2001, which was quite beautiful, but simple). a gigantic space ship chasing another small ship, while shooting lasers at it?! it was revolutionary. i remember something from Empire of Dreams, where other directors talk about ANH and their initial reactions to it. they said something like "he [GL] did it! he did what we all wanted to do. he took an unfilmable story, and put it onto film. it was a truly cinematic experience."

unfortunately, none of the SW films that followed were as revolutionary in SFX, but still great nonetheless. i believe it will be another young director (as GL was back in 77) who will break the next sfx barrier.

5. michaelbacca

michaelbacca Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2005
    Star Wars is great because they put pretty women in skimpy outfits. And for all the reasons mentioned previously.

6. BrideofVader

BrideofVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2005
    Space fantasy is what Lucas called it in one of the movie's commentaries... probably ANH.

It's also has a mythological, epic modality, and includes all the basic archtypes of storytelling, the basic formula of a good story, and speaks to people on many levels... people find meaning in it that may have not been intentionally put in there. I, for one, think that Star Wars is bigger than George Lucas. Sometimes, you can come up with a wonderful idea for a story, and start writing it, and you find that the characters take on a life of their own, and what happens in the story is probably not what you intentionally set out to put into it. This seems to have happened with GL.

It's not clean and perfect. There are plot holes. There are mysteries that will never be solved. There are amazing characters who seem super-human--and not just the Jedi--who let us down, and show us how flawed they really are. The wheels of both the real Universe and the Star Wars Universe are squeaky, this or that gear is rusty, the hyperdrive doesn't work and sometimes you have to get out and push or beat it with a fist in order to get it to make sense in your head.

As a story I grew up with, with mythological motifs that are ingrained into my head, it has influenced the way I look at life, they way I see myself, and how I deal with ordinary, everyday things. As such, it is greater than the sum of its parts, and I am thankful for the existence of Star Wars.

7. DefenderofFuture

DefenderofFuture Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2005
    A big thing that was only accomplished with 2001 previously, as stated, was sound. Star Wars focused more on sound production than any sci-fi (or space opera, whatever, I don't care) movie or show before it, and the result was a dynamic, intense sound track and an unbelievable score by John Williams. The fact is, without these, the movies are really fractions of what they are now. If you want a sample, see the original teaser for the original Star Wars on the new DVD set. It looks TERRIBLE, because it SOUNDS terrible.

That isn't necessarily the ONLY reason it was successful, but it certainly helped phenomonally.

8. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    The sound design is spectacular. In fact, I'd credit the sound design with providing the most credible link between the PT and the OT. Star Wars has very distinct foley work - a collection of cosmic phonemes that repeat, overlap and undulate and "bind the galaxy together". :)

I believe TCG hit upon the REAL answer here. It's the characters of Star Wars that make it so compelling. Darth Vader, Darth Maul, Dooku, Qui Gon, Obi Wan, Chewbacca, R2-D2, Luke, Han, Leia, Yoda, Boba Fett, Jabba, the Emperor and Jar Jar are without peer. Some of those are listed because we can identify with them; others are listed for their strong visual appeal and screen personas. But one thing that applies universally: no one crafts characters quite like George Lucas and his artisans. Even a reviled character like Jar Jar Binks could ONLY exist in Star Wars. Hell, I LOVE the Gungans (especially Boss Nass). Sorry, but as scholarly as his works are, Tolkien can't compare. Walt Disney and his artisans are the only other group of people who deserve equal status with Lucas and his teams.

All in my opinion.

9. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    Definately agreed ... there definately is some sort of self-organisation process going on there. So often I think there are so many interconnections and hidden meanings, as meticulous and scholary Lucas is, it's impossible that all of that was put there deliberately.

Especially when we are forced to make sense of certain DVD commentaries :rolleyes:

The characters play a large part in it, I agree. They've grown so strong and convincing I somehow wouldn't be shocked to see Yoda walking down the street some day (which would be fine; I could put up with almost anything except for Sids somehow materializing some day) But I think it's not just the characters but rather the mixture of great characters, colourful images, and the incredible range of themes that are adressed that makes the Saga so great. It just appeals to kids as well as grown-ups who have managed to remain in part a kid, in a way. What I absolutely love about it is the sense for the bizarre and absurd in it - I think among the grown-ups, being able to enjoy bizarre images and having a certain sense for the absurd is essential; a person who can't enjoy this will probably never become a SW fan. And to be honest, if everything made perfect sense, there would be less topics to discuss here, wouldn't it?

10. classified

May 24, 2005
    That is definately true. Tolkein once wrote "aplication is different to allegoy". Star wars wasnt directly written to be like WWII or the coming of jesus, but it can be applied to mean that.

Also, these forums areproof of that. If people culd not keep discovering things in it and interpriting stuff as their own, these forums woldnt survive

11. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Star Wars is great because of its religious significance, mythical elements, classic story of good vs. evil, and the characterization is like no other. The story of Jedi, Sith, Skywalkers, blasters, lightsabers, space ships, war, and rebellion has been the best told within the last century. Nothing beats it. In fact, nothing even comes close!

12. TheOneX

TheOneX Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    I think Star Wars is great becuase it has everything a person could ever want in a movie.

13. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    SW is great because of the balance between the banal and the profound.

It's great because it tells a very old story in a new way.

It's great because of the characters. Very few are completely good or completely evil. Vader started out a simple baddie but he became more complex as the story progressed. Luke started out purely good but he too became more complex as the story progressed.

It's great because of the droids. R2-D2 and C3PO are the common thread running through the saga. Their partnership is one of the most endearing ever put to film. Pompous C3PO who thinks he knows everything, and patient R2-D2 who actually does know everything, or so it appears, but calmly goes about saving the day in his humble, unobtrusive manner.

It's great because of the fantastical worlds we see.

It's great because of the battles.

It's great because it's a multi-generational tale.

It's great because it's a space opera/fantasy.

It's great because it's an epic.

14. TALL_CANS_IN_THE_AIR

TALL_CANS_IN_THE_AIR Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    it takes you to another place, a better place. a place that is better then the place we live in now.

15. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Its a combination of genres and it sets a precedence in that it acknowledges film as now part of human mythology. Lucas isnt just drawing from classic mythos, he's drawing from earlier cinema ( sci-fi serials, westerns, and samurai films ) and saying that it too belongs in human mythology. And of course he was right. Its also deceptively simple and works on nearly every level, from cheap thrills to deep intellect.

16. Seperatist

Seperatist Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2005
    It's so great because it's very personal. Everyone likes another aspect to Starwars, someone else might have a completely different reason why he likes it than me. Maybe even a reason I can't understand or never even thought of.

'Starwars is like good wine, the older the better.'

-S-

17. DarthVaderBob

DarthVaderBob Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2005
    Everyone has made very good points! Star Wars is Great! I like it because of the charachter of Darth Vader. I can feel his charachter 100%-meaning I understand him, he is a portrait of most humans. We all want to be the most powerful, we all seek to be our best, we all fail time-to-time, we all have desires we shouldn't, and we all have choices to make.
    I love the fact as to how powerful and full of rage he was, I think we all feel that way at times, but we never do anything like he did, because this is real life, but Vader could do anything-being in a story. My favorite thing about him is that he made the right decision in the end(gets me teary eyed every time I see it in ROTJ-when Luke is screaming for help and Vader hurls "Palps down the shaft), and a father's love saved his son and a galaxy. He was redeemed, just as we each have a choice to accept redemption or not.

18. Jedi_Master_Cazz

Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2005
    Star Wars. Fantasy, sic-fi, comedy, anguish,...romance (we chicks love that!)

Its a story about love. Its a story about good vs. evil. Its a story of falure. Its a story of victory. Courage. Fear. Its a story of redemtion.

We all see SW differently, none of our views are the same. I see something different every time. After seeing ROTS...the OT was soo different. Sometimes i imagine Padme standing there next Luke, Leia, and Vader sometimes. Its scary.

And also...what kind of question is that?...on a SW site???!!!...LOL!! !

Cheers_Cazza@};-

19. classified

May 24, 2005
    it wasnt a question 'why is star wars so geat'. i was explaining the reason that i think star warsis so great

20. Rubberdirky

Rubberdirky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2005
    I'm sorry for you all. In the end, it was the music that made Star Wars. To this day, other than lightsabers, the music is the only real reason I can watch EpSI-III. That and the fact that they are Star Wars, which relys like I said on the music. Want proof? The biggest money makers in movie history have one thing in common. Think about it. Jaws, Star Wars 1-6, Superman, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, E.T, Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, Amistad, Shindler's List, (sorry to admit it)Home Alone, Far and Away, Hook, Always, Born on 4th of July, Close Encounters, Midway, Empire of the Sun, Earthquake, and even earlier hits. All these movies had ONE AND ONLY ONE THING IN COMMON. John T. Williams.

Now, yes the effects were sort of groundbreaking in ways, but stop motion and space battles weren't new in any episode. And if there is a second to the music, like I said, it would have to be lightsabers, plain and simple. The story itself, the basic plot line, had been done time and time again. It is very greek in origin. No my friends and fans, it was the music that made Star Wars. Want more proof. I dare you to watch any episode, in its entirety without the soundtrack. Then listen to any soundtrack from any episode, and when finished tell me which you prefered.

I tell you, one of my favorite things to do, is pop in the Empire Strikes Back soundtrack, turn off all the lights, sit in my recliner all alone with some whiskey or beer and just let go for an hour or two. Damn, that is a good time.

21. classified

May 24, 2005
    Youre right! I cant beieve i overlooked that!

I love classical music, but my favroute thing is the PM soundtrack. It stands on its own. and thats an achievement for a film score.

but its not ll john Williams, think Howard Shore. He did all the David Cronemburg films and lord of the Rings

22. Chosen_One1

Chosen_One1 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2005
    I love Star Wars because of just how deep and compelling the story is. Lucas reminds me of a modern day Shakespeare. I'm currently reading Macbeth, and I can't tell you how many themes of that story are relevent in Star Wars.

23. LemmingLord

LemmingLord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2005
    We are in absolute agreement on this.

24. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Good call on the music.

The litmus test is the reaction a young child, say, a toddler, would have: Would he/she turn and watch the TV if Star Wars was muted and the text scroll came up without accompaniment, or, with their back initially turned, would they be intrigued and turn round upon hearing that famous and heroic opening score? I think it would almost certainly be the latter that compelled them. Children respond very well to music - especially music painted as broadly and boldly as that for Star Wars.

25. Rubberdirky

Rubberdirky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2005
    Thanks to the agreeing parties on the music. I get alot of flack for putting so much credit to JW. But come on, I know the chemestry, casting, etc. in the new trilogy isn't as great as the original. JW made a great attempt to link the new to the old. I think the best was the music behind the fateful duel in E3. Beautiful, masterful. He even made me realize the good in the whole OT, even Jar-Jar. It was all necessary. Who else would have granted all power to Palp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.