main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Rebel Flag: Spitting in the Face of Federal Tyranny

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by HavocHound, Jun 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HavocHound

HavocHound Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Why does the status quo regard the Rebel Flag as a symbol of racism and bigotry? It's about Constitutional rights - individual and family above state territory above federal union - like a reverse heirarchy. It's about community being constructed from the bottom-up, not from the top-down.

Where does the misinformation and propaganda come from? And why?

2. LemmeSeeYaIYiYi

LemmeSeeYaIYiYi Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2002
    You are a racist, homophobic, sexist pyscho. Why haven't you been banned?

The reason the Rebel Flag is a representation of racism, is gee, because the South was fighting for the motherfaulking right to keep slavery and push its boundaries. Because it became the official symbol for racists across the South, KKK, other white ppl before the Civil Rights movement, etc.

You know, to ppl who aren't from the South, you are basically asking why does the Nazi flag represent anti-semitism?

3. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    Gee, I wonder who is about to be banned?

I agree with you that the symbol of Dixie has been subverted. It is because of hate groups like the KKK and the Neo-Nazi's who have adopted the flag as a symbol that those of us in the South who owe as much to the Battle Flag of the Confederacy as to Old Glory are no longer allowed to show it.

4. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    IYiYi, odd that you should take your name from a song by southern rappers, when in a video by Lil John and the Eastside Boys(who are from the same city as the ones quoted in your name), black people can be clearly seen flying the rebel flag.

It's not rascist anymore. Get over it. If black people(the people who it is supposedly a symbol of hatred against) have gotten over it, why can't you?

Slavery existed under the US government as well, should that flag be banned? Portugal and Spain shipped slaves to the Americas, hey let's make them change their flag!

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Lemmee, calm down or you will win a free trip to ban land from one of the mods. ;)

6. womberty

womberty Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    Where does the misinformation and propaganda come from? And why?

It comes from the racist people who use the Confederate flag as their banner. Sure, the Civil War was about states' rights: it was about whether the states could declare some people as property rather than citizens. It stands for a time when our country was divided and bigots reigned supreme. Our country is still plagued by racist individuals, and many people see the Confederate flag as a symbol of solidarity with those people.

The flag is not as simple as a representation of a "reverse hierarchy" where your family and community are above your country. It was flown over the SC capitol and is still included in the flags of some southern states as a way of saying "we're still proud of the Civil War." It's used by hatred groups as a way of saying "we're proud to be bigots." If you hang the Confederate flag outside your house, why would anyone think you were simply expressing your state pride?

7. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    Black people flying rebel flag

(copy/paste link)

See, to most people who fly it, it's just symbolic of southern pride, and there's not a damn thing wrong with pride in one's home state/region.

8. Kessel Runner

Kessel Runner Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 10, 1999
    Everytime I hear this argument, it feels like revisionism to me. Certainly state's rights and all that was part of it, but so was racism and bigotry.

9. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    I have the Confederate Flag, I like it, I have the Southern Cross and the "official" Confederate Flag, the Stars and Bars as its called, of course I collect flags so I would have them. To me flags can mean so much, some people use it as a flag of pride, others use it as a flag of hate. And since its illegal to take away someones freedom of speech, then the flag should be allowed fly.

Its really no difference between the Southern Cross and the "X" from Malcolm X; he was a rascist biggot too, but when people don his "X" no one whines about them being racist biggots, but rather are showing their pride. Lets not have double standards here people, that makes you sound like hipocrits. (and for good reason too)

10. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    A bunch of slave states who no longer exist. I don't see the point.

It's like flying the Nazi flag in Germany. The Third Reich is dead, and so is the Confederacy. I see no reason to remember them.

11. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    It's just a bunch of people getting their panties in a bunch. I'm a Northerner who studies the civil war, and the flag doesn't represent oppression or racism. However, some racist groups have adopted it, but theyv'e adopted the US flag, too. [face_plain]

Some people just bitch to bitch, you gotta learn to roll with 'em.

12. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    I have the confederate flag in my room. It is awesome. I wear a shirt that says Rebel.

The South was never about opression, the south was not much different from everywhere else back then. You forget, the North had slaves until only a bit before anyway. Then they got rid of them because they were not economically useful. George Washington had slaves as did Grant himself.

13. Rogue_Solo

Rogue_Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2001
    I don't have any problem with people who use it as a sense of pride. The problem comes from the fact that people who are racist nowadays use it, and then it's seen in a negative light.

14. Grieve

Grieve Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    I'm not joining any side here, but let me say that the Swatstika stood for a lot of good things, but was adopted by very bad people, much like the confederate flag. If I went around waving a flag with a swatstika on it, how do you think people would react? No matter what your intentions, you shouldn't be shocked if people don't like the confederate flag.

15. AmadeusExMachina

AmadeusExMachina Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    "It's like flying the Nazi flag in Germany. The Third Reich is dead, and so is the Confederacy. I see no reason to remember them."

Yea, you're right. Burn those history books, that's all old news.

16. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    To be totally honest, I've never really cared much for the Confederate flag. Not much by what it is used for but the fact that to me, it always looked kind of loud and tacky.

But to each their own, if someone wants to display it, then I have no real problem with that as long as they keep it tasteful.

17. AmadeusExMachina

AmadeusExMachina Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    I find it disconcerting that someone would either lend their support to a flag or not based solely on whether they like the design of it or not.

But that's just me.

18. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    ^ Um, I never said my support for or against that flag was dependant on it's looks. I simply stated that I don't particularly care for the design.

19. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Frankly, the Confederates were fighting for States' rights.

THey wanted lower tariffs, the north wanted higher tariffs. Slavery was only a straw on the Camel's back. The reason they succeeded was because Lincoln, someone with opposite ideologies was elected. Lincoln was for gradual state banning of slavery; with compensation.

The Confederate flag stands for the rights of States to be loosely united under a weaker federal government.

Fly high!

[image=http://www.southernmessenger.org/images/Bigger_Confederate_Waving_Flag.gif]

Of course, State over the Confederacy...

[image=http://users.rcn.com/mickeyallison/maryland/maryland-flag-waving.gif]

Maryland, Maryland über Alles! We were going to join the Confederacy, the Union held us. :(

20. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    >>The problem comes from the fact that people who are racist nowadays use it, and then it's seen in a negative light.<<

While I'm not american, I can totally see this. Ever heard of "Het Vlaams Blok" ? Well, it's the closest thing to a Nazi party here in Belgium. Guess what their symbol is...The Flemish Flag. That really pisses me off.

21. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    State over federal. Great idea. I think I'll write up a constitution and call it the "Articles of Confederation." Cuz that worked pretty well, didn't it?

22. Maveric

Oct 17, 1999
    It was never about state over federal governments. As you say, that never worked in the AOC. What was desired was what was intended in the constitution, dual federalism. Two distinct governments, supreme in the sphere of authority. Issues that belong to the state are handled by the state, issues that belong to the federal government belong to the federal government.

23. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    I like your spirit, Obi-Zahn! ;)

Oh, and I agree, it's such a shame the KKK and other racist groups adopted the Confederate flag. but then, those dang yankees adopted the flag of our Founding Fathers as their symbol, and that is a shame, too.

24. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    Conne, you're from Pennsylvania. You are a yankee :p

25. Maveric

Oct 17, 1999
    Well if Pickett hadn't been galavanting around the countryside trying to flank the Union supply lines again, Conne would've been a Confed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.