main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY the Rebellion Banner??????

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    We need to decide if we as a club want our own Banner. If we want one, then we could make one using sewing or iron ons and such, or we could have one made. If we have one made then we would have to raise money for it somehow. One suggestion for a fund raiser was to join the USS Tranquility at there Hot Dog stand at Sams Club on August 14th. We would continue it after they are done for the day, into the early evening. 25% of what we make would go to the Galisono charities. Please post your thoughts on this and any other ideas. This will be discussed at the meeting on the 20th. I would like to make a decision by the end of the month.

2. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    Just wanted to expand on this a bit since it was -KnightShade- and I that offered the suggestion at yesterday's meeting. The USS Tranquility has booked Sat August 14th for one of their hot dog sales. -KS- and I have offered the Rebellion the opportunity to pick up the dinner crowd business once the Tranquility leaves for the afternoon (they'll be working 11am-3pm). Just to give you an idea of what these sales are like... For the Tranquility's 1st sale (07/27/2003) they made $75 for their club and $65 for Golisano Children's Hospital at Strong. For their 2nd sale (05/22/2004) they made $200 for their club and $200 for Golisano's. It is relatively easy work, but does require a fair amount of manpower. The Tranquility had 8 people this year and every one of them was busy doing something. That?s not to say that this fundraiser can?t be done with fewer people, but (from our experience so far) the more you have the more successful it is. Last year we only had 6 volunteers and between that and being later in the season ? we didn?t do as well. ?KS- and I are willing to put up the upfront costs (and be paid back out of the sales) as well as the equipment (grill, tables, utensils, signage).

So there you have it... as Jeff said post your thoughts here.

The other thing to keep in mind is that once the club has this money a vote should be taken so that everyone agrees how the money should be spent. A banner for the table at the convention is definitely something nice to have. Other things would be club t-shirts, subsidizing admission tickets to the con for volunteers, subsidizing other club events or the production and printing of promotional materials for the club (flyers, etc). Just more food for thought...

~Doc_Bev

3. -KnightShade-

-KnightShade- Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2004
    There are different ways that banners can be done.

Prices for a 2' x 6' vinal banner seem to start at ~$60 for simple text. I've seen some sites that let you provide a Photoshop file (or tiff) and will print a full color banner. These seem to start at ~$125 for a 2' x 6' banner (75dpi, 4 color process).

Another alternative might be to sew something together. Off hand, I have no idea how expensive the material would be. The logo that I've seen for "The Rebellion" seems fairly simple - so this option might not be too difficult.

What other options are out there?

-Darren

4. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    As far as sewing goes...

If you keep your eyes peeled, you can get GREAT deals on fabric on the clearence racks at JoAnn's and Wal-Mart.

With the lettering, the easiest (and quickest) way to do the lettering is to use something like Heatn Bond. You'd iron that to the fabric, cut out your text then iron that on to the banner.

It holds great...it held the stripes for my Endor Leia pants and it held names on my Harry Potter POA style quidditch robes.

That can be done cheaply and made to look really good if you take the time to shop around a bit.

5. -KnightShade-

May 18, 2004
    I guess that the other open question is what would we want the banner to say - and what should it look like.

Anyone able/willing to put some prototype layouts together?

-KnightShade-

6. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    We would want it to say

The Rebellion
    Official Fan Force Chapter
    Rochester New York

The logo we have is good, maybe with the Rebel Bird in back or somewhere.

7. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    *bump*

I just wanted to bring this back up into people's radar. If this is going to be ready by the convention, I think we'll need to have the design finalized at this month's meeting if not earlier.

~Doc_Bev

8. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    I was tossing around the idea of just throwing something simple together to get us by until we decide on exactly what we want.

God only knows I have enough extra fabric laying around here....

But what I was thinking for now was just a small simple banner with a big Rebel Alliance symbol on it and our group info (Offical FF group, Rebellion, etc). Nothing too fancy but it would work for now. ;)

9. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the banner. Sounds good. Go for it. I was going to bring this up at a meeting but it has been a while. I have looked at some online printing companys which I have heard other chapters have used. Here is 3 I looked at. I am not sure how big we want it to be. I do not know how big the generic FF one is. Either with a logo or maybe we can get a really cheap one with basic lettering printed and we can add stuff to it.

Imagemediaprint.com

Superbanners.net cheapest of the 3 with a logo.

Tradeshowshop.com

Here is a discount one that is text only.

halfpricebanners.com

10. -KnightShade-

May 18, 2004
    HothGirl - Do you think that you would have the free time to get a banner together?

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB -
    I've looked at the sites that you've listed.
    They are some of the cheapest prices that I've seen around on the net for printed vinal banners.

Superbanners.net was $55 for a 2'x4' banner.
    If we wanted to go that way, we could use the money from our recent fundraising if members would be willing to chip in the difference.

11. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    Yeah. Sounds pretty good. We just have to figure out exactly what we get for $55. I guess its just letters. I am thinking The Rebellion, Official Fan Force Chapter Rochester NY. Something like that. Also is 2/4 big enough. I like the size of the FF one. Do not remmeber the size. $40 is a good start. I got some extra cash coming from DVD sales that I would conribute. We just have to see what everyone else thinks and stuff.

12. -KnightShade-

May 18, 2004
    From looking at their site, and some emails - it sounds like they "print" their banners on a special printer.

Pretty much anything that could be done in photoshop could be printed onto the banner material.

2'x4' isn't huge by any means, but it is still pretty good size.

13. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    I think I can put something simple together while the group is deciding on our "offical" logo - that way a rushed decision won't have to be made prior to the DVD release (unless of course we decide quick).

It'll probably just include our club name, maybe a rebelion symbol (since we are 'The Rebellion') and our local.

Sound okay?

14. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    That would be great Hothgirl. Sounds good. I do not think we would have a design ready and get it in time for the DVD thing.

15. -KnightShade-

May 18, 2004
    Hey All -

Sorry that it has taken me so long to get back to this. (Life has a way of getting in the way ;-)

I've taken the feedback that I got from the last meeting, and redone the banner in Adobe Illustrator so that it will scale well to banner sizes (Thanks JediAgent!)

For anyone who wants to take a look at it - I have posted a PDF of it up at the following URL:
    http://www.rochesterfandom.com/RebellionBanner.pdf

The DVD releases are creaping up on us pretty fast - so I'd like to get this in for printing ASAP. Hopefully we can get a couple people to look it over in the next day or so and let me know if any changes are needed. If at all possible, I want to get the order in on Thursday so that we have at least two weeks for them to process/ship the banner to us.

-KnightShade

16. JediAgent

JediAgent Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    Hey Darren,

Great job on the banner design! It looks wonderful!

I only noticed one thing to change. Between the 'R' and 'S' in WARS, there is a 1px line. If you could convert the text to outlines and merge the two letters, that would eliminate the line. Just an idea :)

--Ryan

17. ltcmdrtom

ltcmdrtom Jedi Master

Apr 7, 2004
    Darren, again! this one Looks Great!

18. -KnightShade-

May 18, 2004
    Ryan -

Thanks for the "Eagle Eye" there - I missed that!
    In fact even after you point it out - I don't see it on my screen - but I do see that they are only "butting up" to each other - where the "ST" actually overlap.

I had converted all of the fonts to lines to be sure that the printer will be able to view everything properly - so this should be a minor tweak.

Thanks!

-Darren

EDIT -
    This has now been resolved. (And an updated PDF uploaded.)
    I have to admit that I cheated a bit... For some reason - the proper way of merging the letters was evading me - but a properly placed black rectangle masks the symptom!
    -db

19. JediAgent

JediAgent Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    Hehe no prob :p Also, for future reference, to properly merge stuff, use the PATHFINDER tool panel. If you don't see it when you start up Illustrator, goto WINDOW > PATHFINDER (I think).

20. -KnightShade-

May 18, 2004
    So that is where that is hidden... learn somethign new every day. Thanks Again

The banners has been my first time in playing with Adobe Illustrator. Most of my recent graphic editing has been done for web pages in Paint Shop Pro - as it doesn't get scaled to these sizes.

21. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    For some reason it will not open for me. Oh well, I saw it Sunday and it was great.

22. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    I believe you'd need Adobe Acrobat 5.0 or higher in order to view the banner PDF.

~Doc_Bev

23. -KnightShade-

May 18, 2004
    I've gotten confirmation that the Banner has been printed - hopefully it will be here before the DVD release!

24. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    Great!!!!! Good job. I would think we would get it in time. We shall see.

25. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    The banners arrived in the mail today.

The Rebellion and 501st ones look awesome!
    I'm not as pleased with the USS Tranquility one, but it's still nice.

In any case, we have it in plenty of time to be able to use it on the 20th for the Midnight Madness sale.

~Doc_Bev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.