main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The relationship between Finn and Rey. SEE FIRST POST WARNING

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Devizz, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014
    MOD WARNING Prior to opening this thread back up:

1st) If we lock a thread there is a reason we locked that thread even for a short period. Please do not take it upon yourself to re-open it, it could lead to being banned. No one wants that.

2nd) I am re-opening this thread with the cavat that everyone understands things were getting heated last night and people calling each other racist even if possibly indirectly. Keep calm and respectful and this thread will stay open. If you want to have a Senate style discussion may I suggest the Senate for you but trust me when I say they are less forgiving if your only argument to someone is well that makes you a racist for disagreeing with it. We all have opinions and need to respect those opinions.

I got an impression that Finn is attracted to Rey, not sure if she feels the same way or just thinks of him as a friend. I think it is very likely that these two are in for some serious romance in the next episodes.

jedi9617 and rumblewagon like this.
  2. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    Seems to be conflicting reports on that. I really wish we get some clarity on that issue. Can those that seen the movie. Explain thier relationship or lack of. I wont be seeing the movie untill it's out on blu-ray. No car sadly. So please spill the beans.

3. Devizz

Apr 30, 2014

I've seen the movie 3 times and I really think it was heavily implied that there is something going on between those two.

4. Nama Saya Tasu

Nama Saya Tasu Jedi Youngling

Dec 14, 2015
    As it looked to me, both characters are children in a way. Rey growing up as a lone scavenger, and Finn growing up as a nameless stormtrooper. They never had normal human relations with anyone. So when they find eachother, they connect because they are so similar in certain aspects. I didn't feel any romantic tension. But that could develop in future movies.

5. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    Alrighty,because thier seems to be a difference on opinion on that issue. Some saying thier just friends and others saying thier more.

ObiWanKnowsMe and Darth Haggai like this.
  6. Devizz

Apr 30, 2014
    Sure, I think their relationship is far from romantic FOR NOW. I think some slight implications are there though and I am pretty sure they will be developed in future episodes.

7. TheFett18

TheFett18 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 15, 2015
    Star Wars would be just fine without a Twilight love drama lol. But that's what sells now so I'm sure that Gina Rodriguez will be Finn's other love interest and we'll have a love triangle

8. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    What about Poe? No one that hot should be alone. I have a major crush on Oscar Isaac so I'd like to see him get some. Hope he has a larger role in VIII.

9. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    Looking at the ages of the actresses they're considering it wouldn't surprise me if Poe ends up with her.

10. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    I kind of want them to be a couple, but no relationship drama please. Just have them naturally grow closer over the course of the trilogy.

11. Nanosoft

Nanosoft Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 15, 2015
    There is a big different between an actual romance, and romantic chemistry or flirtation.

They clearly don't have a romance in this movie. Han and Leia are the romance.

But I've seen various reviews citing the fact that Rey and Finn are clearly being positioned towards some sort of future romantic relationship. It's hinted, there are obvious film-making and storytelling clues, their chemistry doesn't make sense without them furthering the relationship, etc. I saw one review stating that they seem to be going for a Han/Leia type thing in this. Maybe not as prominent as ESB, but a lesser version. Saw others saying that, when they are apart on screen, you are ITCHING for them to get back together. Most reviews seem to cite them as a truly great dynamic duo, and I've seen a fair share of impressions stating that the first act of the film is the best because it focuses on their relationship and interactions.

Han says something to Finn like "A woman can always tell when you're lying" and he's referring to Rey. You don't put lines like that in a movie for nothing. It's Han dropping a slight bit of knowledge to a young man who is in the position he was once in, even if he wasn't in-character doing this, that's what we as the audience are meant to take from it.

She kisses him on the forehead and tells him they'll meet again at the end of the film for christ's sakes.

Also, even if she "only views him as a friend"....that doesn't really end the conversation (In MOVIES)...because this is a story, and it will rely on similar tropes to build it's universe. In other words, It'll just be a story about him "winning her over" as opposed to them having this first glance heat. Him coming off as kind of a sad-sack probably lends itself to this kind of romance anyways. Finn is funny, slightly awkward, maybe a bit clingy...the story is about how Rey eventually comes around.

In regards to the Boyega chemistry reads....a love triangle with two women and one men would certainly be another "progressive" choice for them to make. But I kinda feel like people have been overstating what those reads were about. We don't know anything about Ep.8, and actors and actresses chem-read for all sorts of parts, not just romantic ones.

12. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I totally ship them after seeing the film - definitely more so than Poe (who truth be told, sort of annoyed me) if only because they are so close and their first little exchange (after escaping on the falcon) was so cute, with both of them saying the same thing at the same time. Finn asks her about a boyfriend back on Jakku (which she denies) and the risks his life repeatedly (somewhat ironically given that she ends up being so capable), to protect her. John and Daisy were wonderful together, racist idiots be damned..

13. Nanosoft

Dec 15, 2015
    I'd like this too, and like I said, his characterization seems like it would lend itself to this type of story anyways.

BTW, on that "triangle" theory. Matter of fact, that needs to be thrown out the window right now. Finn isn't the type of character that you "fight over". He's the type of character that wins over the person he really loves through his heart and tenacity. Finn is said to be the butt of jokes in a way in this film...he's not "pulling" two women.

14. Nanosoft

Dec 15, 2015
    Mod edit: Video removed due to disallowed language being written on intro screen

15. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    Ha! I also just rememberd a scene where he leaves, like a certain smuggler on Hoth and then has Rey come up to him, angry that he won't stick around .... Han/Leia --> Finn/Rey.

DSTSiriusJedi and LadyPadme like this.
  16. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    There is amazing chemistry between the two of them, but only in that they spark off each other brilliantly.

This was, for me, the start of a proper, solid friendship, and not a romance.

17. DanMG

DanMG Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2015
    Could they go for the Twilight concept? Meaning that Rey becomes the love interest of both Finn and Poe and they fight over who gets the girl?

18. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I really don't want Rey and Poe romance. Damn I rather see Finn and Poe- bromance they had great friendship moments anyways. I kinda like Finn and Rey shipping though. It is really clear in the movie that Finn likes Rey and Rey Finn- but is it going to any direction remains to be seen. Poe and Rey didn't really even learn to know each other so there may be something coming between them but no Rey and Poe living happily ever after please.

19. Zurros Ka

Zurros Ka Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 26, 2015
    I think he's attracted to her, it was evident when he 1st saw her. Plus him trying to impress her by saying he was in the resistance, going off to rescue her etc. But at the end when Rey is going off she kisses him on the forehead and calls him: 'My friend.' That sends a clear message, but I'm also hoping that something happens between them in future episodes.

KalThor likes this.
  20. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    There seemed to be a recurring musical motif that played when they were together ... almost like a Rey/Finn theme.. to be followed...

KalThor and Nanosoft like this.
  21. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    Finn: I love you like a sister Rey
    Rey: I know

Cornballs but lovely huh? haha!

22. SithIsTheRightSide

SithIsTheRightSide Jedi Master star 1

Aug 28, 2001
    Former stormtrooper & future Jedi master?Please don't do that.

23. Nanosoft

Dec 15, 2015
    They could, but I get a sense that, considering how "progressive" they are trying to be in regards to gender issues with this trilogy, that they'll avoid that type of story.

Rey seems to decisive to be torn between two men. If she falls for someone, she'll get them. And if someone falls for her (It appears Finn already has), that love will only be reciprocated if she "lets them in".

Something to keep in mind : The next two movies each have different directors, and they may bring their own interpretations into the work (Although, it's obvious that lucasfilm clearly has an outline of some sorts of where this is going to go).

I really hope Rian Johnson realizes that one thing that *everyone* loved was the Rey/Finn interactions.

24. RagingIdiot

RagingIdiot Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2015
    Nope.

Momotaros likes this.
  25. Ian passman

Ian passman Jedi Master star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    Excellent chemistry, great looking actors, warm and funny dialogue. I'm all for these two crazy kids getting together. I'll secretly continue to ship for Finn and Poe as well because wooow, those guys were clicking.