main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The relationship between Finn and Rey. SEE FIRST POST WARNING

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Devizz, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    Just from my personal experience, they don't exactly seem like a brother/sister type. They're obviously very tight, but completely platonic? I'm unconvinced. Both of them saying that there's no romance between them could be a way to throw off the scent, lol.

2. Carl Rahl

Carl Rahl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2016

Well she has a bf so no point to that right now, they are just two tight friends.

Obiwan10 likes this.
  3. Gyasi Mandara

Gyasi Mandara Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 25, 2015
    lmao at 'throwing off the scent' [face_laugh].

Sgt. Carver and Obiwan10 like this.
  4. Obiwan10

Obiwan10 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    She got a bf irl, but you should see the way she looks at him in interviews, ik that don't mean nothing, but she always stares at him, in many of the interviews with the rest of the cast, she gives him the most attention. They are crazy crazy close, a person gotta be blind not to see it, but its a bro/sis thing, for now at least *wink wink* lol jk.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

5. Sgt. Carver

Jul 27, 2015
    Ideally that would be reason enough for them to remain platonic, but that doesn't always matter. Not that I condone that kinda thing.

Forgotten Cade and Obiwan10 like this.
  6. Carl Rahl

Jan 6, 2016
    They don't seem that type.

7. Sgt. Carver

Jul 27, 2015
    Love(lust) can make people do messed up things. Even then, we aren't exactly sure of the nature of Daisy and her bf's relationship.

8. Carl Rahl

Jan 6, 2016

I sure, she wouldn't give him to much to worry about.

Sgt. Carver likes this.
  9. Obiwan10

Nov 6, 2015
    Forget about him, can we just appreciate that we have a cast that are actually friends with each other unlike the prequel cast? No diss to them. I mean, I have yet to see a type of relationship like john and Daisy's outside of star wars in recent years.

Forgotten Cade and Carl Rahl like this.
  10. Carl Rahl

Jan 6, 2016

Many cast do.

11. Obiwan10

Nov 6, 2015
    I guess, but for some reason, this feels different from others, like much more real, idk that's how I see it anyway.

Forgotten Cade likes this.
  12. Carl Rahl

Jan 6, 2016
    I think FinnRey has a lot to do with Daisy and John's connection, they are normally the exception not the rule.

Forgotten Cade and Obiwan10 like this.
  13. Obiwan10

Nov 6, 2015
    That's true I guess. I am just happy we aren't getting another portman-christensen plastic forced romance.

Forgotten Cade and Carl Rahl like this.
  14. filmgeek32

filmgeek32 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 18, 2016
    i realize that i'm obsessed with finn and rey because i named my stuff panda finnrey

15. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016
    I've been on the reylo thread absorbing their perspective. The shipping stuff aside, which I find repugnant and repulses me to my core, they have some really interesting ideas on how to push the trilogy forward. At first I thought they were just convenient moral relativists but that isn't the case; they choose to apply a very liberal, humanist approach to systems of morality. I don't agree with it, but it explains the lack of common ground between this thread and theirs.

Finn is such a morally important character that diminishing morality impacts his character most. It minimizes his choice to "do the right thing."

Rey and Kylo, though Kylo is discussed more in my opinion, carry much of the narrative water because they have the mythic connection to the force; thus, will occupy centerstage and all other characters will be supporting players.

Obiwan10 likes this.
  16. Carl Rahl

Jan 6, 2016
    Well there is this article that came out today..
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ira-hobbs/why-finn-is-the-most-impo_b_9120106.html

17. Beardwalker

Beardwalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2016
    bit heavy handed on the racial aspect for my taste but overall solid article.

18. Forgotten Cade

Forgotten Cade Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    OMFG this thread lol!!! I said something similar like this awhile back, and I got so much flack for it smfh lol..But its cool I guess:p

But anyway you put it way better then I ever did. Sure I think there very friendly and close, but like a bro/sis from the things I've seen in interviews I think not also.

Sgt. Carver likes this.
  19. Carl Rahl

Jan 6, 2016
    I think the most modern way I have seen it phrased is they are work-married.

Forgotten Cade likes this.
  20. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    It doesn't just minimize the importance of doing the right thing. It also minimizes the importance of doing the wrong thing.

Ryanpaulstewart and Rhyoth like this.
  21. Beardwalker

Jan 5, 2016
    films are more enjoyable when they are relatable at the foundation, at least for me. but the reylo pairing relies on a complete pure fantasy with little to no reality mixed in. that is what makes finnrey a better option in my mind

22. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I can't stand movies or shows that try to pretend a character can commit evil deeds and then rejoin the good team like its nothing. If SW is really headed in the direction of "grey" = you can be forgiven and trusted by all after murdering your innocent, defenseless father, among countless other innocent, defenseless people, then pass. If Rey comes to trust and admire Kylo more than Finn, Finn deserves better anyway because Rey is a fool.

One of the things that has always given SW broad appeal, imo, is the simplicity of it. I'm not opposed to injecting some grey, but "grey" that the Reylo thread promotes completely repulses me. Why even make Kylo a villain at that point? He didn't have to murder innocents to be the "hot" angsty rebel.

23. Nanosoft

Nanosoft Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 15, 2015
    Hey guys, sorry for getting to this so late, but just wanted to say : Thank you! So flattering! I think this has been a fun, encouraging thread! And no matter what, I feel like this is the canon-ship. I know it's not the most popular amongst the online crowd, I know it doesn't get as much attention...but between the movie, book, and script...it's definitely the most obviously intended, and that's what's important. As Yoda said, Size matters not! Thematic beings are we! Not these crude Tumblr post!"

I may have paraphrased him a bit there....:D

I can't go around in circles based on wishful-thinking, and if Finnrey weren't an actual "thing" within the movie, I wouldn't be here. I hope that we are verified in 8, and that the period between 8 and 9 has less distractions in regards to where ALL of the characters stand. All of this speculation is gonna be the death of me!

Honestly, and you can argue either way about the importance of this, but she actually kisses closer between his eyes than on his forehead. Now that may be an ornery point to make, but I think it lends credence to the idea that it was a lot more intimate than just a "peck on the forehead" as some have tried to interpret it as. Obviously, the camera angles/dialogue/characterization also imply a higher level of intimacy, and taken together, the scene plays on many emotions, but longing was definitely one of them.

[​IMG]

^ From the wonderful, I'd argue all-time great, 2001 French film Amelie. Brilliant movie, pretty much made the actress an overnight success. It's on netflix btw, those who haven't seen it should check it out. If you've seen it you'll understand the reference. I won't delve into it because it's just tertiary to our ship, but the point is that : Not all kisses, hugs, and contact between characters are created equal. Rey hugging and kissing Finn, after they make a point earlier in the movie that she DOES NOT WANT HIM TOUCHING HER....I don't see how much more clear they could have made that. It's a blatant change in her as a person.

Aside from the surface level intimacy of the scene (promise, kiss, longing stare, etc)...the scene itself is yet another example of a common trope being used to imply a romantic relationship between Finn and Rey.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ConverseWithTheUnconscious

^ Others have brought it up already, but here's the trope page on it. I browsed through it and didn't see TFA added yet, but coincidentally, and I had forgot about this, this also takes place in The Matrix, which I talked about HERE in regards to some of the parallels with TFA (mostly the whole monomyth hero arc both Finn and Rey get). The Matrix goes all in with the whole Sleeping Beauty, character waking up from the deep sleep thing. Obviously, Finn doesn't immediately awake from his coma...that wouldn't have worked here, and since we all seem to think that one of the reasons behind the coma was to separate them for plot reasons, it also would have worked against the story they were trying to tell. Still, it's interesting (Although somewhat foreseeable considering that both of these movies follow the same basic plot points that ANH also followed) to see the parallels between these movies.

I've seen some people interpreting the opening of the torture scene as romantic."OMG, Kylo is watching her sleep". Of course, I don't buy it. Kylo is waiting for his victim to wake up so he can proceed with his torture...not uncommon in say, Bond films. All he needed was a bucket of cold ice-water! That moment was meant to be played for the creeps, not for intimacy. It was Rey at her most vulnerable state. Rey wakes up with Kylo in the room because doing it another way makes it awkward for the audience...because it's important that we know that this was the whole of their interactions. If she's already awake, they can't do that, or they have to waste precious time having her wake up first, and introducing Kylo later. The way they filmed it wasn't meant to be implying some sort of intimacy, it just made the scene creepier, and conveys more information to the audience in a shorter amount of time.

Now, compare this to Finn and Rey in the medical bay. She's sitting next to his hospital bed, completely demoralized look on her face, talking to a guy that can't hear her...basically has to give herself a pep-talk just to be able to leave his side. Rey *actually is* watching Finn sleep. And it's not just used as an easy scene transition. The look in her eyes spoke volumes.

It was a semi-colon, not a period. It's a shame that many immaturely called "friendzone". Given that these characters just went on the most emotional journey that two characters in this franchise have gone on since Han/Leia in ESB, and considering that this is the first movie of a trilogy, I think it was more than appropriate for them to part in that manner. "We'll see each other again" is about as blatant foreshadowing as this film gives us in this movie.

Ryanpaulstewart , earlier you said that TFA doesn't make many promises that it needs to keep. I agree, they can go anywhere with this story. But that particular line did seem to scream "Watch this space! Watch this space!" I'd argue that, it's one of the few actual promises made within the movie, we don't even need subtext or literary analysis, Rey just straight up says it.

It was another stretch.

Finn's theme literally has Rey's theme incorporated into it...and it's used pretty much as a love theme between them....[face_love]

Yep!

Like I've said many times : Finn = Somewhat clingy guy, easy to show devotion and warmth to others after the most minor of interactions; Rey = Lonely girl with abandonment issues that wants people to "come back" for her.

Of course, they could do all sorts of things to satisfy her abandonment issues. Maybe Luke himself is enough (Especially if he's her father). Maybe she becomes the leader of a new temple, and her students become the ones she's attached to. Maybe she begins to view the resistance as a whole as her family. A lot of things they can do, but those are plot specific things that need to be done. On a character level, right now, she already has someone who has made it clear that he wants to be close to her, and is devoted to her well-being.

Glad you posted this, we can all use a bit of perspective. The last time I saw it, I took a step back (As much as I could), and tried to just watch it without any sort of bias or shipping thoughts...also tried to not consider all of the things like themes, motifs, arcs, etc. I pretty much came right back to where I first started : It seems like they are leaving some breadcrumbs for a romantic relationship between Finn and Rey. Those were my initial thoughts on the film, and I didn't and still don't see any other ship being teased. The film speaks for itself. It's not even a complicated film. The Finnrey intentions are pretty clear.

I'm actually hoping that Luke ISN'T so concerned about the prequel era Jedi dogma. If he's Rey's dad...that'll be the end of that. If he's not...his characterization could be more complicated.

Let's not forget...this is the same Luke that disobeyed Yoda and ran to Cloud City to free Han and Leia. He got his hand chopped off in the process, but he made it clear that his friends are important to him.

I feel like a big point the OT makes (And that the PT solidifies), is that Luke was RIGHT, Yoda was WRONG. Luke became a Jedi in spite of having attachments, and believing that there was good in his father. The failure of the Jedi dogma is one of the few things that the Prequels actually got right.

I'm concerned about where they go with him....it kinda wouldn't make sense to me if he reverted back to being one of the weird monk-types that we saw in the prequels (And, the culture that he knows was partially responsible for his father's problems). But I also feel like there will have to be some level of...disobedience coming from Rey. And to accomplish that, Luke is going to have to be some type of authority figure, who lessons against something that she wants. So...to say the least, I don't know what to expect.

Really glad you guys brought this up! My god, the "bridal carry" is one of those in-group, echo-chamber, head-canon things that frustrates me.

The scene is clearly, clearly about Finn's anguish at seeing Rey being captured by Kylo Ren...the person who personifies everything he fears. He literally runs after her screaming her name! And it's also a clear call-back to Han/Leia at the end of ESB.

Ironically, we don't seem to talk about that moment as much in this thread, I feel like the hug upon their reunion overshadows it, but it was actually highly important to their evolving relationship.

24. Deerborne

Deerborne Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2015
    I was just about to mention the fact that the kiss was on the bridge of his nose and not his forehead. The way the whole scene itself is shot is starkly non-platonic. We get an extremely long, zoomed-in shot of it. I feel like they wouldn't have gone to any length to emphasize it if it weren't going to be important later.

25. Beardwalker

Jan 5, 2016
    She could have held his hand or something and said we'll see each other again. But they had her go with the gentle kiss. Which as was stated before, is a major step forward for Rey from not wanted to hold hands.