main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The relationship between Finn and Rey. SEE FIRST POST WARNING

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Devizz, Dec 16, 2015.

1. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    If Rey and Finn don't reunite at all in VIII, I think a romance could still develop in IX.

2. Deerborne

Deerborne Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2015
    Er, I hate to play devil's advocate here, but.... if that were the case, I don't think so.

But don't we already know for a fact they have at least one scene together? That whole base infiltration business?

3. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    It would revel up anticipation to when they do eventually reunite. It'll be the classic Hollywood cliche of sparks flying between two people who haven't seen each other in so long.

But, if they do reunite in VIII, I feel it's much less likely for a romance to blossom given to what Boyega said in that interview.

I'd be OK with either option. Romance or only a friendship.

4. Forgotten Cade

Forgotten Cade Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    A little late since ( I only pop back in at least once in awhile XD ) but they revealed Rey and FInn have one scene together in 8? Thats really odd.

5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    they who?

6. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Looks like "Fin-Ray" is dead &has been turned into seafood salad! Oh no! More ammo for the Reylo shippers!

7. Carl Rahl

Carl Rahl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2016
    Man this thread has become a downer

8. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Let's just sit back and watch it crash!

9. Carl Rahl

Carl Rahl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2016
    I rather not, lets pick things up.

10. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Yes, let's!

11. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Huh? Did the production team explicitly say that it the theory wasn't going to happen, or is this conclusion being drawn from circumstantial evidence that's piling up? Now, I will concede that John Boyega's comments a while back (that the characters were written as friends in the first movie and that any future love stories in the mix are not going to be what's expected) have made me reevaluate my opinions on where the two characters are going in the future and decide to try and have a much looser hold on what I think will and should happen there (which is saying something, since I was trying to hold loosely in the first place). But, on the other hand, I think it's still a little too early to tell exactly what's going to happen. So, I'm inclined to suspend judgement until Episode 8, at least, before making a verdict on which side correctly predicted the outcome. (Also, who knows where they want to take the characters in the tie-in media and how that will factor into the movies whether in favor or against Finn and Rey becoming a couple.)

(P.S. What kind of seafood salad was it turned into? ;))

Even if the Finn and Rey theory is disproven, I doubt that it will help the Rey and Kylo Ren crowd. The problems with that latter theory (IMHO) are solely based on how the characters were set up in regards to each other in Episode 7. Those problems would still exist whether or not Rey had had her heart stolen by a third party.

Sure. The other day, I discovered that they're doing a companion piece to that Rey's Story novelization they did for Force Awakens in a few months, but this time telling the film from Finn's perspective (see here). I'm really curious how they'll handle the ending, since Finn's coma comes pretty abruptly and would be an awkward place to end a book version that's avoiding the other characters' POV, but I like the idea overall and can't wait for it to come out.

12. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    I think the seafood salad I suggested violates the endangered species act!

13. Forgotten Cade

Forgotten Cade Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    Thats what I wanna know. I was quoting Deerborne

14. Deerborne

Oct 15, 2015
    "They" was originally the Daily Mail when they covered the Princes visiting the set and detailed a scene in which Finn and Rey (among other characters) infiltrate a base that might belong to BDT's character. I honestly thought was just a joke, because... well, it's the DM, and they mentioned one of the characters getting a slap on the backside during it. But a few weeks later MSW confirmed that there's a part where Finn gets a slap on the rear from Tom Hardy's character, so the Daily Mail was right.

Of course, we still don't know whether MSW is 100% correct, but if they are, there you go.

Forgotten Cade likes this.
  15. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

It's going to be a long seventeen months, isn't it?

16. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016

Clickbait, bias, and shipping will turn poorly-chosen words, podcast panels and Instagram inferences into spoilers. Good luck.

17. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Wait, I'm confused. Are you suggesting that real spoilers are getting out through unusual means, or that rumors are getting passed off as spoilers?

18. Ryanpaulstewart

Jan 13, 2016
  19. Deerborne

Oct 15, 2015
    Soooo sweet. Easily one of my favorite pieces from the soundtrack.

20. Mishraille

Mishraille Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 27, 2015

Well, for me, the John Boyega interview where he says that he and Ridley were just playing friends, and the romance thing won't go the way you expect kind of sunk the ship. Then, I'm hearing (not sure if this is true) that Rey and Finn only have one scene together in episode VIII. Everything I'm hearing about this duo is just depressing, so I'm of the mind now that the romance probably won't happen. It's really taken the wind out of my sails in general for the upcoming films, because what I enjoyed most in TFA was the dynamic between Finn and Rey.

That said, I don't believe Reylo will happen, either. I'm guessing they'll just play Rey as a figurative (or perhaps even real) asexual. I'm getting the feeling she probably won't have a romance. Finn might. Though, if he is, it would have been good/intelligent to introduce his relationship with his romance partner in the first film. Considering that, even if Finn does get a romance, if it is introduced this late in the game, I don't expect it to be that deep, engrossing, or important a thing. And it might even be hard for me to swallow/believe considering what has already been established with Finn and Rey, and all the stuff he went through with/for her.

Darth Basin likes this.
  21. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Even if there might not be a time gap between The Force Awakens and Episode VIII. There could always be a large time gap between Episode 8 and Episode 9.
    Which is reasonable time for two friends as of Episode 8 or two people who meet in Episode 8 to fall in love. For any of the relationship scenarios.

22. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Given that the novelizations have a lot of hints to the contrary, I wonder if that was a change late in the game or something.

I find pre-movie interviews hard to decipher, since it's easy to overthink when trying to work out if the speaker is playing it straight, misleading, using technicalities, or outright lying. So, I still think it could go either way.

(For what it's worth, the characters only being friends in the first movie isn't an obstacle for them becoming an item later in the game, whether that be in a movie or a tie-in. In fact, while I'm in favor of a love story, I not sure I thought they were really in a romantic love story during the movie. We do see them bonding in the film and I think they loved each other platonically by the end. Factoring in the novels, I think that, at most, they may have been on the road to falling in romantic love with each other during the film. If I'm reading that right, I don't think I really mind that much. I find that the love stories I tend to get engaged with are ones where the couple have been established to care for each other as friends/people first. I find it easier to buy the romance, since seems more substantial, and less like a: "Wow she/he's hot.")

Maybe. I'm not sure though, that the character's relationship is any less meaningful even if it doesn't go the romance route. Case in point, between the movie and the tie-in, it's pretty well established that both of them felt pretty much alone, no support net, no real belonging. So, them becoming friends was a big deal to both of them. I don't see that going away. (It's also possible to make a meaningful relationship between a man and a woman in a movie without going the love story route. Case in point, Captain America and Black Widow in the MCU. If they pulled something similar off here, it could work.)

Also, as far as the whole "they're only sharing one scene in Eight," three things: We don't know if that's true or not yet. If it is (emphasis on the "if"), we don't know the context of that scene and why its the case. Finally, we don't know how much shared screen time they'll have in Nine. We don't know yet where the whole story is going to end up at as far as the movies are concerned (much less the tie-ins), so how can we accurately predict what will happen when it's not even half complete?

Is that still even a thing?

Maybe. I don't think we have enough evidence to really accurately speculate, though.

Yeah, I can see that, although good writing could pull it off, in theory.

Well, say they do go this route. Maybe it'll just be a side plot for Finn and not the main focus. A little like how in the Captain America movies The Winter Solider and Civil War, they showed Steve Rogers and Sharon Carter starting to fall for each other, but the stories wrapped around Rogers and his friend, Bucky Barnes.

I'm pretty sure Rey and Finn and whatever they become will be heavily focused on in the future. I mean, the last movie ended with Rey planning that they were going to meet up again. I don't think that was an accident.

All that said, I think I'm the "Finn/Rey" camp, but I'm not sure that that not panning out will be a movie-ending disaster. Sorry that it's bothering you, but I think its still too early to tell what the plan is, so I don't think hope is gone just yet.

23. Ryanpaulstewart

Jan 13, 2016
    Much of the speculation on VIII--in general--is the blind leading the blind. How people are able to cobble together theories from vague and ambiguous "leaks" is astounding.

filmgeek32 and WebLurker like this.
  24. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    From the TFA comic adaptation

[​IMG]

Did Rey actually shed tears in the movie? I can't remember off the top of my head.

25. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Not quite:

[​IMG]

However, if you look closely, you can tell she's just about to, so I'd say the comic is essentially accurate.