main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The relationship between Finn and Rose????!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by cerealbox, Apr 14, 2017.

1. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    I wouldn't be happy, I'd be both ecstatic and at peace!

For what it's worth, Luke Skywalker himself disagrees with you on Finn and Poe and LGBT story lines!

Even the actress for Rose disagrees:

Who do you “ship,” personally?

Oh man, I ship a lot of people. [Laughs] But I would say I ship Finn and Poe [Oscar Isaac] pretty hard. I’m excited to see what happens next. I don’t know — I kind of think Finn obviously looked very confused [about Rose's kiss], not sure what he was feeling on his end. We’ll see!
    http://variety.com/2017/film/news/kelly-marie-tran-star-wars-last-jedi-1202646642/

oncafar likes this.
  2. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    Omg that’s just pathetic.

Just because two guy characters become good friends they have to end up in love with each other? They need to stop promoting this “gay is ok” into every part of pop culture, it’s getting old now.

3. Yora

Yora Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2016
    Ugh I'd like to know what you watch or read to see gays everywhere in pop culture because it's far from the reality. I cannot think of a single important character who is explicitly gay in most highest-grossing cinematographic franchises (Star Wars, LOTR, Harry Potter, Fast and Furious, MCU, X-Men, POTC, Transformers, DC...).
    In most blockbuster movies, gay people don't exist.
    I don't ship Poe and Finn but I don't understand why it bothers people so much if the two end up together?
    Person of color and gay people can appear on screen for narrative reason too, not just to push some social agenda.
    Well, being "gay is ok" so I don't see exactly what is wrong with the idea of promoting that positive message.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    11-4D, Miriedis and La Calavera like this.
  4. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    This thread has gone so far off-topic it isn't funny. Get back to Finn and Rose and discuss diverse representation in the Diversity thread.

CosmicDust likes this.
  5. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Their dynamic was OK.

My issue was chemistry. Finn had a lot more with Rey, Poe and...DJ. So a lot of their scenes just fell flat for me. I just don't think they were the best choice in partners.

I'd be fine with them killing Rose off at the top of IX.

oncafar and 3sm1r like this.
  6. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I will concede that I think that Finn and Rey did bounce off each other the best and that he and Poe also have a good back and forth. However, I thought that he and Rose also had a good dynamic. I'm still undecided if I want them to get together in Episode 9 (or future tie-ins, if both characters live through Episode 9 and continue their adventures in the novels and whatnot), but it worked for me. What part wasn't up to scratch for you?

Please don't.

7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    It always comes down to chemistry for me. I either detect it, or I don't.

I've seen this film 3 times and FinnRose hasn't had any chemistry, to me at least. So I can't get on board with them. They were the weakest pairing in the film for me. Hopefully that changes in IX.

8. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    The rest of that article tells a lot about what they were going for with Rose, and her and Finn's relationship.

CosmicDust likes this.
  9. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I agree; the relationship between them, at least in regards to romance, is pretty chilled. And it's not quite the actors' faults; while they may not bounce off each other quite as well as Biyega and Ridley did, we've got some very clear directing and editing choices that cut down on the foundation they tried to build early on.

Their first meeting has at least some potential, and honestly I think Rose being more angry and hostil towards Finn might have been a good way to keep their interactions fresh and engaging. We know that their were some scenes filmed that showed her getting hostile towards his protectiveness of Rey, and while that does unfortunately sound like writing some schoolyard jealousy, it could have had some genuine frustration at his messed up priorities. And it's clear her peck on him at the end was filmed to be very ambiguous, especially for him but even for her, since it was more of a schoolgirl kiss than a romantic one.

It's a shame he dropped his initial plan for Finn being one of Paige's crew mates. He himself said he knew that doing so would require some kind of dramatic blow off at the end, and honestly I could see a great foundation for their chemistry if it was rooted in disagreements k er whether or not Finn was disgracing Paige's memory by trying to keep Rey safe or not.

jaqen likes this.
  10. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I liked FinnRose chemistry. The actors were good together. The problem with them was 100% the writing and directing. It set romantic FinnRose up to fail.

11. Lady Rey

Lady Rey Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 3, 2018
    I was very pleased with the relationship formed between Finn and Rose. I heard so many bad things about her and how both lacked chemistry, but they were my favorite part of the movie to my own surprise. Rose opened Finn's eyes and helped him find a purpose, something he was unable to find in TFA's and at the start of TLJ when he was still tying to run away.

jaqen likes this.
  12. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I can see FinnRose moving into romantic territory in IX. From a narrative perspective it makes sense.

But, for me, it's undercut by the strong chemistry he has with Poe and Rey. Sorry, but even JB's acting, and level of energy, his fire and charisma, sparked more for me in his interactions with OI and that brief moment with DR.

godisawesome likes this.
  13. Lady Rey

Jan 3, 2018
    In real life the 3 actors grew really close with each other during TFA promotion, and it was obvious on-screen how much they bonded. It's really beautiful, but I also adored the chemistry between Daisy and Kelly and hope they interact a lot in IX too.

WebLurker likes this.
  14. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    That's super refreshing to see. I'm fine with Rose, but she wasn't one of my favorites. But it's so refreshing to see someone who considers Finn/Rose their fave part of the film.

Overall, as much as I like the Force stuff, I think I might love the slow chase Rebellion stuff even more.

Lady Rey likes this.
  15. Lady Rey

Jan 3, 2018
    Yeah my interest in Kylo and Rey's relationship was what drew me to watch TLJ, and yes, they had the most amazing scenes, but every time we switched back to Finn, Rose and DJ, I found myself excited and fully invested. DJ revealing the good guys are not always good was a very touching scene and the intensity of Finn's near sacrifice (I knew he was not dying but I was still holding my breath) and the explosion that lights up the background as Rose kisses him and her words of hope was just beautiful!

16. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I absolutely Love the Subplot with Finn and Rose on Canto Bight I heard a few people on here say It didn't really matter to the plot of the movie and Finn took a Step back. I totally disagree It was one of my favorite parts of the movie!

CosmicDust likes this.
  17. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    The brief moment with DR had the weight of the writing and directing of TFA to infuse the moment with emotion. That hug was literally my favorite moment of TLJ.

But to me that doesn’t undercut JB and KMT’s chemistry. It isn’t just JB that brought charisma to their scenes. They fit really well together. The actors anyway.

18. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Same. Kylo/Rey blew me away.

But I found myself loving the Resistance chase plot so much. Leia, Poe, Holdo, all of it.

And I'm a fan of everything DJ. The film needed him more. I actually could've watched a whole film revolving around the Finn/Rose/DJ plot. I liked them as a little threesome.

CosmicDust and Lady Rey like this.
  19. Lady Rey

Jan 3, 2018
    Same! I also loved it and did not see it coming when Leia just blasts Poe lol and how Poe realized he was wrong about Holdo. I loved Holdo too and I am so glad DJ is alive. I swear he had a look of sadness and felt bad he betrayed them. His expression showed it, but he was always about his own survival and he did a horrible thing, and knew it too. Giving Rose her necklace back was sweet though and I keep thinking he's the new Lando of the ST, but a very dark version. I also loved how worked up Finn got when he took Rose's necklace. He is really beginning to care for her.

jaqen likes this.
  20. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    the only R named lady Finn should be going out with is REY!

godisawesome likes this.
  21. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Are you on team FinnRose instead of Finn/Rey now?

22. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I’m not on a “team.” I’m not part of the Tumblr audience. I like what I like and I hate CW-style crap. At this point if I had my way, there would be zero romance in IX. RJ killed it with shallow subtext in every scene with actors of different genders. When I want Dawson’s Creek, and I won’t, I’ll watch Dawson’s Creek.

Def Trooper, Jazz9276 and afrojedi like this.
  23. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Clearly my wording was all around.

I meant, if given your way, would you rather see Finn end up romantically with Rose or Rey? Do you have a preference at this point?

24. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    My preference is no romance because RJ killed any opportunity for a moving romance by making everyone look shallow and open to whatever in TLJ. For me, great romance >>> no romance >>> bad romance. Bad romance occurs after everyone flirts with everyone and everyone angst’s over everyone. Actually the presence of angst at all usually makes a romance bad to me.

Def Trooper and afrojedi like this.
  25. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Because of the way it was written and then acted (which is not the actor's fault IMHO, but comes from the direction and storyline), to quote Bart Simpson: "I don't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows at the same time" :(

Def Trooper, Jazz9276 and AhsokaSolo like this.