main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The relationship between Finn and Rose????!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by cerealbox, Apr 14, 2017.

1. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Unbelievable, weird relationship to go along with their useless subplot. Rose is a redundant character. I feel sorry for Finn because he had promise in TFA. He spent TLJ treading water.

Def Trooper likes this.
  2. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Love them. Both blue collar workers turned heroes. Both adorkable. Both with big hearts and now... shared values. Rose also cleans up and won’t be in those mechanic fatigues forever!

[​IMG]

First on the lips kiss of this saga. First interacial on screen on the lips kiss in Star Wars history!

Finn’s the man. Not many male characters in blockbusters find themselves in a triangle between two great girls. Well played, Finn. Well played.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  3. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    He's sad that Rey is attracted to Ren. Give him props for knowing when to quit in light of the power of the force. Lol.

4. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    One of my friends interpretations, was that she imprinted to Finn quickly because she just lost the last of her family, her sister.

CosmicDust likes this.
  5. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
  6. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Not sure why people don't expect her in IX.

She's the new good guy introduced in the 2nd movie.

Did people feel the same of Lando in RotJ, after it was announced Ford was returning?

7. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Okay.

I liked that well enough, too. Was kind of a nice lighter story (albeit with some depth to it) to contrast with the heavier storylines with the Force-using characters.

That could be. The Cobalt Squadron novel did establish that the two sisters were extremely close and that Page had been something of an anchor for Rose.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  8. Grand_Poobah

Grand_Poobah Jedi Master star 1

Jun 24, 2001
    I think Rose should have died. I mean, I liked her well enough, but it would have been a "justified" death because her death fulfilled what she thought she should be fighting for (those she loved). She wouldn't let Finn sacrifice his life to kill what he hated (the First Order), but she was willing to sacrifice her life to save what she loved (Finn). So I think her death would have been fitting.

Also, her "love" for Finn is just too soon/much. It can't possibly be reciprocated, which makes it awkward. Or, the writers WILL make it reciprocated, which feel unjust to Finn -- how can he possibly make a free decision on how he feels about Rose, when she risked her life for him because she "loves" him. Talk about feeling obligated and pressured. I do NOT want to see them end up together.

9. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Finn and Rose my favourite ST characters, and my favourite subplot of TLJ.
    [​IMG]

10. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Take everything from your last paragraph. Replace Finn with Rey. Replace Rose with Finn. And assume it was talking about TFA.

Now read the whole thing out loud.

Yora likes this.
  11. Grand_Poobah

Grand_Poobah Jedi Master star 1

Jun 24, 2001
    Except I don't remember Finn expressing his instant "love" for Rey. Sure, they seemed to have mutual affection for each other, and Finn maybe more so (but, he had been isolated from any real relationship for his whole life, so I cut him some slack). But I'm also "ok" with no romance between Finn/Rey either. It's just that they had a little more history with each other to justify one if it were to occur.

12. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Finn is either a 1000% homosexual or he has the hots for Rey. This digga didn't give a hell of a **** about that them Asian lips that touched him so intimately.

"I'm all about that Rey Rey Babe-y"-Finn

13. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I actually thought she had died when first seeing the movie. I didn't realize she'd "just" passed out from her injuries until Finn came back to the base dragging her on a stretcher. Personally, I was glad they let her live (until the next movie, at least).

Is it too soon? Well, even by how things work in movie land, I would agree. I do think that there are a couple of migrating circumstances. While Rose did use the "L" word, I think "crush" is probably a more accurate term and I kinda took it as such when watching the movie. I don't think that that undermines her decision to her risking her neck to save his life on Crait or mean whatever feelings she has aren't genuine. She was also pretty star-struck when she first meet Finn. While discovering that he was trying to jump ship (albeit mistaken about why) might've zeroed that, they did initially start off on a decent foot and seemed to get along over the course of the mission.

It's also worth noting that Rose started off the movie fresh after loosing her sister. Cobalt Squadron establishes that Paige was essentially Rose's only surviving family, acted as an anchor for her, and, if I recall correctly, indicated that Rose didn't have many other friends or really feel like she fit in the Resistance. Under those circumstances, if she did hit it off with someone else, I could see that meaning a lot to her. While it does get into subjectivity, I did think that the characters did have decent chemistry, so I could see a successful build up to a romantic relationship that's the goal.

The context when Rose confessed how she felt was after being injured in the crash. While I'm just speculating, I took it to be that she thought she was dying and chose to cash in all her chips and leave nothing unsaid, having nothing to loose. Would she've handled it differently had she not been in that state?

Also worth keeping in mind is that we really don't know how Finn feels about Rose exactly. They did connect over the course of their mission and we do see Finn keeping an eye on her in the Falcon's bunk. That in mind, I think it's safe to say that he considers a friend, like Poe, at least. If there's anything more then that, that's in the province of Episode 9 to establish and build. That's actually one reason I'm somewhat suspending judgement on what I think of the possibility of Finn and Rose getting together; we don't know how well Episode 9 will or will not handle that if Abrams and Co. choose to go that route.

I'm also somewhat suspending my final verdict of Rose falling for Finn over the course of the single movie (and what I think the duo's relationship should be like down the road) until the novelization comes out. That'll be able to get into the character's heads and give us better ideas of what they were thinking and feeling over the course of the story, including how they feel about each other. It'll also probably incorporate and canonize deleted scenes, like the one showing that Rose was jealous of how close Finn was to Rey, that might make the ending ring better.

So, let's keep posted and see where this ends up. We don't have the full story yet.

Yora, CosmicDust and Mostly Handless like this.
  14. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    And that was the moment he realised...Poe is his man. I just want Poe to have a nice boyfriend damn it. He has that ring all ready.

15. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    He seems to be in love with BB-8

Chewies_bandolier and Yora like this.
  16. Brennan Marshall

Brennan Marshall Jedi Knight

May 22, 2015
  17. Lady Rey

Lady Rey Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 3, 2018
    I just noticed something interesting. We have Ben and Rey as Supreme Leader and the last Jedi in a sort of romance, and now we have an ex-Stormtrooper and a Resistance solider in a sort of romance. I'm sensing a hint of unity for IX.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  18. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    You're saying IX ends in a tie, where the two factions unite because of those four?

19. Lady Rey

Jan 3, 2018
    Foreshadowing basically. If people from separate factions can find love with each other, why can't the FO and Resistance form a new order and unite the galaxy?

20. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    At the beginning of TFA, you could have said the same thing with Leia leading the Resistance and her son being the 2nd or 3rd in command of the First Order.

21. Lady Rey

Jan 3, 2018
    It seems something bad happened that broke the treaty, but until Ben overcomes his darkness, it's not possible. He has to want to do this, and I think he wanted to with Rey, but she will not watch her friends die just to wipe the slate clean. As for Finn and Rose, they both saw the truth of this war and how love is the key yet money is what talks.

22. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Notice in Kylo's speech to Rey, he said let the past die, burn it all: the Jedi, the Sith, the resistance, Snoke, Luke.

He never said the First Order.

As for Finn and Rose. IF they became a couple, JJ would have to do something in IX that brings the romance to the forefront and makes it compelling.

Rose lost her sister, so the most important person in her life is gone. So I can see after that intense adventure, why she would fill that void with Finn.

If you go back to the disproven Maslow's higherarchy of Needs, Rose has already had familiar love so now she wants romantic love.

With Finn, if you assume Rey fills out his familiar love spot, then he would be ready for romantic love.

23. Lady Rey

Jan 3, 2018
    Yeah he wants a new Order, but Hux needs to go first lol

Yep! Daisy said Rey saw Finn as a brother, and Rose had a sister, so likely it'll be Rey/Ben and Finn/Rose for IX.

24. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but just for the sake of argument, let's assume your right.

That would mean the PT had a force sensitive man with a non force sensitive woman romance

The OT had a non force sensitive man and a force sensitive woman romance.

So the ST would end with a non force sensitive man/woman pairing and a force sensitive man/woman pairing?????

I'm not sure TPTB are that clever.

Lady Rey likes this.
  25. Lady Rey

Jan 3, 2018
    Haha yes I saw that too!