main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**The Rendarian Backlash** Official Release Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Kol_Niko, Aug 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kol_Niko

Kol_Niko Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2001
    It is Official! We are proud to present our very first amateur film ?The Rendarian Backlash.?

?During the quest to eliminate the Jedi, the empire invaded the planet of Rendar. Being a peaceful people, their army and population were not prepared for the invasion. Both were quickly decimated. The lone survivors decide that a swift response is necessary. However, the fine line between the light and dark side expands and engulfs all that are involved..."

Scene 1 (11.31) http://www.azraelite.com/trb scene 1.mov
    Scene 2 (10.09) http://www.azraelite.com/trb scene 2.mov
    Scene 3 (9.52) http://www.azraelite.com/trb scene 3.mov

(Quicktime 6 required)

Enjoy! :)
    Jeff

2. One-with-the-Force

One-with-the-Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Downloading it now. BTW, you've got a pretty fast server.

3. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
  4. Jedi_Master_dude

Jedi_Master_dude Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 2001
    Sweet movie dude! I love the idea that you didn't use a forest or something! And that is just wasn't a light saber battle, it had a story! The only thing i can complain about is that i couldn't here some people sometimes, Great job!

5. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    Bummer about QT 6 being required. Unfortunately, I use FCP 3, and Apple hasn't approved it for QT 6 (without Jaguar, which isn't quite out yet), and recommends sticking with QT 5 under os 10.1.x.

Short answer is, even though I want to, I can't watch your movie.

-tm

6. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    I'm in the same boat as Tumble. I paid for QT Pro twice now. I'm not going to do so again for quite a while. But, that means no TRB downloading.

7. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    Wow, an epic story about a polar bear in a snowstorm.

I GET A BLANK WHITE SCREEN with something missing for quicktime to play it. This is QT6?

Man, why don't you bump it down to QT5 so those of us who refuse to pay apple twice can enjoy it.

8. Penitio

Penitio Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2002
    Enjoyed the movie. Storyline and music I think are the strongest points. And that first fight scene in the third part was amazing.

When I saw the ship flying over forest after the beginning space fight, I thought 'Oh no, not another fight in the woods.' But of course you guys totally surprised me.

Oh, and I laughed only once. Pink lightening.

Umm, some dailogue was hard to hear.

Well, this was what I liked and what annoyed me. Sorry not going to pick over all the things that showed it amateur. Some nice visuals, some not so. I enjoyed.

9. Kol_Niko

May 13, 2001
    Sorry guys, I didn't realize this stupid codec would be such a problem. :( All of my test showed the free downloaded player for quicktime 6.0 worked fine. I'll try recompressing with sorenson instead.

EDIT: Here is a small sorenson compression test. If someone who has had problems would download it and see let me the video works, I'll get right on putting up another version. :)

www.tennis-west.com/ghost1.mov (400k)

10. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    The problem is more that having QT5 Pro and QT6 (freebie) on the same system often gets screwy, much like having QT4 Pro and QT5 did for some, so most people who have QT5 Pro don't want to risk the hassle of downloading even the free version of QT6.

11. MGMorden

MGMorden Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2002
    Just as an aside, why not release it in DivX format? DivX 5.02 is a compeltely free codec that everybody (even those of us on Linux machines) can use.

12. Kol_Niko

May 13, 2001
    okay, currently working on sorenson version for quicktime 5 (also looking into divx version).

Hopefully, we'll have something for everyone soon. :cool:

Jeff

13. MoffJake

MoffJake Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    Thanks for sharing your movie. It was fun to watch. One gripe I had was that the video resolution is at 300x150 (2:1) while it should be at 300x225 (4:3) so that it doesn't look squished anymore. Or instead of squishing the video, you could crop the top and bottom to give it the 'widescreen' look. I manually changed it in QuickTime to give it the proper aspect ratio but others may not know how.

Otherwise, well done! I can tell you and your team put a lot of effort into it.

:)

14. AT7

AT7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2000
    Hi - I dont know what FCP stands for or why u cant use QT6 but that shouldnt matter - cant you just convert a QT.mov to MPEG or avi or whatever using a good conversion program(eo video, procoder etc) ??

sorry if you already know this, like Solo said : just tryin to help !!!

15. tumblemoster

Dec 1, 2000
    FCP stand for Final Cut Pro. As far as converting, you need something to view it in order to convert it.

Thanks for working on a QT 5 version! I can't wait to see the film!

-tm

16. bulent_hasan

bulent_hasan Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2002
    very amateurish attempt at filming a story, but at least you went out there and at least attempted to make a film, even if it had to be a star wars fan film. the problem with SW Fan films is that everyone has to have a lightsaber battle at the end. This was also shot badly, where you couldn't see the peoples faces and shadows weren't in the right places. This was edited in a very sloppy manner. The sound was terrible, sound effects for placing a lightsaber on a belt clip is not needed nor did it ever exist as a mechanical door opening. The acting was terrible and it had no story. Don't you guys know what a close up is?

I hate to be bashing this film but I edit short films and make previews for a living. This could have been made a thousand times better by a few simple techniques but that isn't for me to tell you, but for you to discover. Remember, your first attempt isn't always going to be a successful one, mine weren't. But you learn from the experience.

If you plan on doing more, I suggest reading a few books on editing, directing, lighting, and writing a story. if you do that and watch DVD's like crazy, then your next film will be a thousand times better.

17. tumblemoster

Dec 1, 2000
    " 'Because,' hissed Zaphod, 'you were there when your planet did the big firework.'
    'We have a thing on Earth...' began Arthur.
    'Had,' corrected Zaphod.
    '...called tact.' "

-Douglas Adams
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

-tm

18. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    And I thought you had given up on it, downloading now! :)

"very amateurish attempt at filming a story, but at least you went out there and at least attempted to make a film, even if it had to be a star wars fan film. the problem with SW Fan films is that everyone has to have a lightsaber battle at the end. This was also shot badly, where you couldn't see the peoples faces and shadows weren't in the right places. This was edited in a very sloppy manner. The sound was terrible, sound effects for placing a lightsaber on a belt clip is not needed nor did it ever exist as a mechanical door opening. The acting was terrible and it had no story. Don't you guys know what a close up is? "

Wow, I'm shocked at how much CONSTRUCTIVE critism in that post. [/sarcasm]

19. Kol_Niko

May 13, 2001
    Thanks you to everyone who has been posting comments so far for TRB. Every piece of criticism here is taken as a new lesson learned. I totally expect this movie to get slammed in every area by one person or another.

The comments from the previous post by bulent_hasan are taken with a smile :) Considering that this member does this for a living, then I think that I might have gotten off light.

Plain and simple: It was my fantasy and I had a whole lot of fun (except for severed tendons) making it happen.

Oh yeah. Almost forgot. Quicktime 5 version is uploading as I type so stay tuned...

Jeff

20. Kol_Niko

May 13, 2001
    ...and here it is!

For Quicktime 5 users:

www.azraelite.com/scene1.mov
    www.azraelite.com/scene2.mov
    www.azraelite.com/scene3.mov

I tested this so it should be working fine. However, someone please let me know if it is not working.

Enjoy :)
    Jeff

21. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000

And for Hasan:

1. Whether correct or not in the bashing you "didn't mean to be doing," but sure as hell still were doing, this community still runs under one simple premise. If you're going to slam someone's work, be damned sure you have something of your own out there to present to give you some kind, ANY kind, of foundation to stand on. Otherwise, you come off as just another punk with his head up his ass.

2. You also made it a point to note that you "edit short films and make previews for a living." Were that the only thing you had in evidence on your behalf, that might have given what you said some weight. However, you forget that your previous posts are all logged and, lo and behold, someone in that line of work should have known that it's outright illegal to, say, post copyright-violating information to distribute or facilitate the distribution of bootlegged AOTC soundtrack music. I suppose that professional mindset is a selective one, right?
    3. Despite your Feb. 02 registration date, you seem to have made only 31 posts, at least under this particular name. Of those, only a handful are logged, but of those, it seems only the disparaging one above has been made on the fan films board. Being new might cut you a break in some things, but you don't go to a pajama party and call one of the girls a fat, bloated bitch the first step in the door and expect to be anything but the night's "most likely to be called out."

In other words, give a little, get a little. You want to slap this gent's film around, expect the same treatment, and less than zero on the respect scale until you've proven your own professionalism or talents.

22. Lunatic_Pandora1

Lunatic_Pandora1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2002
    you have really cool lightsaber hilts....where did you get them...or what did you build them out of?

you also had some really cool places you recorded at. is that a mall or what?

and the "beach at sunset shot" was pretty well done methinks.

good work, despite what joe editor up there thinks.

23. bulent_hasan

bulent_hasan Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2002
    My my you fan boys are an ANGRY bunch!

Look, what you all said about this particular fan film was valid, and what I said was also valid. It's just an opinion. Now going off and spending all this time on trying to figure out what I've posted on the newsgroups can't, in no way, judge for my character. Yeah so what, I shared the Soundtrack back in march with others, I posted the FTP info on the forums, NOT THE MP3 FILES itself! And how does the fact that I only posted 31 times on theforce.net forums account to my professionalism in the post production industry? It doesn't! I only posted 31 times (I never counted myself how many times i post) because I'm far too busy EDITING. I come here to check out what fellow fans are doing and love watching Star Wars fan films through theforce.net Theater. I have seen much better films that Star Wars fans have worked just as hard on as these filmmakers did, and I have also seen much worse. Duality stands as probably the best Fan Film I've seen to date.

Now I did say that I hoped that they learned while making this film because I hope they're next movie will turn out better. I will download it and check it out. I give every fan film a chance because they deserve THAT chance of being seen. This forum is a great way for them to get positive AND negative feedback. I've never learned how to do my work better from people constantly kissing up to me.

Kol_NIko, I didn't go out to bash you as a person, I just wrote to you what I thought. If I put my stuff up there, you would probably be as forthcoming as I was, but I wouldn't blame you for it.

Now, Nathan PTH, if you want to know what I'm about, then email me, you should be able to through the info. I find that its really easy to slam someone's character (like you have with me) on a platform, such as this forum, as a faceless entity than it is in person. Just because you LIVE on the forums doesn't make you anymore a fan than I am. Sure you must have more action figures, maybe you don't, that's not important. What's important is that we give our opinions and thoughts to each other here and embrace them, good or bad. Here's what you wrote; "Being new might cut you a break in some things, but you don't go to a pajama party and call one of the girls a fat, bloated bitch the first step in the door and expect to be anything but the night's "most likely to be called out."
    So let me ask you, how fat are you? I can dish it out and take it in too. We can do this all night Suzie!

And just because I edit doesn't mean everything I do is good, I didn't say that, I said "Remember, your first attempt isn't always going to be a successful one, mine weren't. But you learn from the experience.", get it, you LEARN. I'm still learning as I work on different projects. I just learned, on my last project, that no matter how hard you work on a project and how good you are doesn't matter when the director demands his cut of the film because HE fronted all the money. THen you become HANDS. So the last project was absolutely horrible. I avoid showing it to people. This doesn't go away. But you have to learn.

Look, I must have sounded like a complete prick, but I'm not in real life. I thought this forum was for FANS of STAR WARS. That's why I came here.

24. MattesKrymsod

MattesKrymsod Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    Story: Awesome
    Locations: Very awesome
    Costumes/props: Very awesome
    Acting: Eh
    Sound: Bleah
    Camera: Omg bleah.

Pros:
    This would have been my favorite fan film yet if it weren't for the camera and sound...and the acting. This was a well-written FanFilm to say the least. It wasn't a FanFilm just made to have a lightsaber duel in it. It had a plot! Lordy lord it had a plot! AND! The opening crawl actually did have something to do with the movie!!!

Cons:
    The direction was horrible, sorry to say. You could have used a better tripod and/or cameraman because the pans were jittery and the shots were awful. I really could go on about all your mistakes, but I'm not going to.

This was a found diamond in a pile of dirt. Raw and untouched. If this were really well-polished and cleaned up, it would have been a true gem in the FanFilm archives. I commend you on your attempt and skill...just review the final cut before you release it and be very stingy about your lowest standards.

Keep it up!

25. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    "My my you fan boys are an ANGRY bunch!"

If you're going to use the term "you" in reference to fan boys, are we to assume that someone who claims immense praise is due to them for helping bootleg a SW soundtrack isn't a "fan boy," or is someone who takes such great offense to someone's film that they feel the need to tear it apart instead of giving constructive criticism? Interesting. As the saying goes:

"Mr. Kettle, you're BLACK!"--Mr. Pot

"Look, what you all said about this particular fan film was valid, and what I said was also valid. It's just an opinion."

Incorrect. What others have said has been *CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM*, not what amounts to bashing or flaming the film. There's a large differnece, and you'll note that the former is not allowed on this board.

"Now groups can't, in no way, judge for my character."

However, a person is judged by his or her actions, and that one's there for all to see. One cannot simply say "yeah, I did this, but I never expected to be held accountable for it" and still expect any modicum of respect on the grounds of character.

"Yeah so what, I shared the Soundtrack back in march with others, I posted the FTP info on the forums, NOT THE MP3 FILES itself!"

It doesn't matter if you shared it with one person or many, what medium, or any other technical quibbles. You were bootlegging and/or condoning the practice. That, again, is not allowed on this board, in the same rules banning the discussion of warez. Even with the rules aside, being part of a production business, yet condoning or facilitating bootlegging is tantamount to an FBI official going to pro-Hussein activities. It's a fundamental opposition between professionalism and reality--in other words, hyopocracy and unprofessionalism.

"And how does the fact that I only posted 31 times on theforce.net forums account to my professionalism in the post production industry? It doesn't! I only posted 31 times (I never counted myself how many times i post) because I'm far too busy EDITING."

In case you missed the point, that wasn't to do with professionalism. That was dealing with the fact that as a relatively new poster, most get cut some slack as they adjust, but most *try* to do so in a reasonable fashion and by the standards and rules of the board. You, on the other hand, opened up by flaming a film, which is not generally taken kindly here, nor is it allowed. In other words, "you're off to a greeeeat start" was what that comment meant.

"I've never learned how to do my work better from people constantly kissing up to me."

There's a distinct difference between constructive criticism and bashing. You were doing the latter. No one ever truly learned from being coddled, but no one gains from "your film sucked, you untalented hack, go hom to mommy, loser"-esque comments either. Your extreme is just as bad, if not worse, than "kissing up."

"Kol_NIko, I didn't go out to bash you as a person, I just wrote to you what I thought. If I put my stuff up there, you would probably be as forthcoming as I was, but I wouldn't blame you for it."

Actually, he wouldn't. You'll note that in his past posts about other films, he's used the one thing you lacked: tact.

"Now, Nathan PTH, if you want to know what I'm about, then email me, you should be able to through the info. I find that its really easy to slam someone's character (like you have with me) on a platform, such as this forum, as a faceless entity than it is in person. Just because you LIVE on the forums doesn't make you anymore a fan than I am. Sure you must have more action figures, maybe you don't, that's not important. What's important is that we give our opinions and thoughts to each other here and embrace them, good or bad. Here's what you wrote; "Being new might cut you a break in some things, but you don't go to a pajama party and call one of the girls a fat, bloated bitch the first step in the door and expect to be anything but the night's "most likely to be called out."
    So let me ask you, how fat are you? I can dish it out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.