main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The representation of Boba Fett in the EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by General Immodet, Mar 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Actually, I think it is interesting to see how EU writers approach the character Boba Fett.
    In the original trilogy, Boba Fett clearly is "a bad guy".
    I remember watching an interview with George Lucas in which he called Boba Fett "just another bounty hunter". At the time, he did not know Fett would become a fan favourite.

In the EU, Boba Fett is represented in several ways:

) Some authors stick to the movie depiction of Boba Fett and let him stay "the bad guy".
    Think of Dark Empire I, Dark Empire II, Classic Star Wars (by Goodwin), Star Wars (by Wood)...

-) Sometimes, Boba Fett is (just like Lucas said) only a bounty hunter who gets the job done.
    Think of Shadows of the Empire, Crimson Empire III, Agent of the Empire...

-) Other works protray Boba Fett in a much different way, making him much more human.
    Sometimes, the problamatic relationship between him and his so-called father is shown.
    Think of comic of The Force Unleashed II, Being Boba Fett, LOTF...

-) Finally, some EU works focus on the relationship between Boba Fett and the Mandalorians.
    Think of LOTF, FOTJ...

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's also "Young Boba Fett" - the TCW stories, and the YA books.

These focus on him growing into the man he will eventually become.

3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Don't forget the very interesting portrayal of Fett in Tales of the Bounty Hunters as just and hyper-principled to a fault. I'd be curious to know if there any other EU works that show him in that light, or is that the only one?

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think some of the other short stories take a similar approach.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't overlook No Disintegrations, Please, unless you all want to get disintegrated...

7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    My juvenile Boba Fett fandom was around the Man with No Name whose identity was the Mandalorian armor, created primarily by Daniel Keys Moran but certainly fleshed out through the Cam Kennedy drawn comics as well as Twin Engines of Destruction.

He was driven purely by his own code of honor that he held above the law. Such a characterization needn't conflict with Episode II's revelations and I think it could have fit Jango Fett as well, although I suppose such a man wouldn't admit to having a grudge against the Jedi anymore than Fett could admit he had a grudge against Han in TLOS.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, I like the idea of Fett as this cold driven individual, though now I think I see him more as Angel Eyes than Blondie!

The Taylor-Scaif comics remain the best fusing of pre and post-PT Fett for me too, didn't expect to enjoy those as much as I did.

My favourite Fett stories remain the trio that comprise Death, Lies and Treachery.

9. Loopy777

Loopy777 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2013
    AC Crispin pretty much wrote the 'Last One Standing' characterization in her Han Solo Trilogy. Even name-dropped Jaster Mereel, just to drive the point home.

10. YourGoulden

YourGoulden Jedi Padawan

Feb 11, 2014
    My first true experience with the Expanded Universe Fett was with The Mandalorian Armor, Slave Ship, and Hard Merchandise. These really made me grow to respect him as a cold-hearted bounty hunter but there were moments of warmth as well. This will always be the picture I have in my mind of Boba Fett when I encounter him in the older EU books.

11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Yeah... now I will let you judge what fan reaction in general was between the things in #1 and 2 vs those in #3 and #4 :p

12. Mando-Man

Mando-Man Jedi Master star 2

Dec 1, 2008

I feel the same way. Though my first experience was the LotF

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked Boba in LOTF for the most part. We did get Mirta so that might be why.

Kylun, Contessa, Mia Mesharad and 2 others like this.
  14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Mirta rocks. That is all.

Kylun, Contessa, Mia Mesharad and 2 others like this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes she does. One of the best family relationships ever!

16. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Yes, it made him seem more human IMO. And Mirta is awesome. :D

Sent from my stupid little astro droid using TapaTalk 2.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If we ignore the retcon; what representation would people say YJK Boba falls into?

18. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I liked Boba's depiction in LotF, other than that and FotJ I haven't read a whole lot else with him in it.

Contessa likes this.
  19. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Boba Fett wasn't in LOTF.

Gorefiend and Cynical_Ben like this.
  20. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah how can we be sure it wasn't Boba Fett's secret son or something. Or another Jango clone that thinks he's Boba Fett.

COMPNOR likes this.
  21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Exactly.

Sorry to say it, but like other female characters written by Traviss she has heavy, heavy issues, also you know the whole killing the established daughter so she can make a "new, better" replacement daughter that she can mold like she likes just doesn't sit right with me.

22. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I doubt she did it for that purpose. More likely she did it to give Boba and Mirta drive. Ailyn was enough of a blank sheet that she could've been as "new, better" as Traviss liked. The bigger problem was that Ailyn was at least 50, and they needed a young character to fill the role. And how does Mirta have heavy issues? I did not see that.

23. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StuffedIntoTheFridge

I made a list when I read LOTF, just need to find it, but the basic stuff that almost always comes up with her female charterers, mainly the really weak self motivation, almost slavish devotion to a cause offered to them by a somewhat random man and of course the "everyone wants to marry a Mando" thing.

24. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Yeah...that's not Mirta at all. She always had pretty strong motivations, they just changed sometimes as her feelings changed. Which is y'know, kinda normal. And her causes were her own. She's spearheaded her grandmother's rescue and let Fett tag along, she volunteered to fight with Jaina because they're friends...the only cause that she got from someone else came from her mom. Even helping Fett find his cure was a decision she made to try to keep hold of what family she had left because she thought she was alone at that point. And marrying a Mando? She was a Mando, she lived on Mandalore, she was surrounded by Mandos...was she supposed to go out of her way to find some other random someone?

****, Mirta and Fett's relationship was one of the only highlights of an otherwise kind ****** series, and Mirta was easily the best new character to come out of it.

25. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Did they though? Mirta's fine I guess but functionally she's the exact same character as her mother. Like hey let's kill off Boba Fett's daughter as violently as possible then immediately give him a younger, betterer surrogate daughter to replace her. Instant pathos with negligible loss!

He's the only one who never really loses anything in this series. Oh no, Boba Fett has cancer! Oh but he's better now. But his estranged daughter's been killed! Oh but here's his estranged granddaughter to make up for it. But his wife is still dead! Except she's not, she was just frozen in carbonite and she's so hot even gay guys are attracted to her! But they're not getting back together. :( But it's okay because here's Admiral Daala to randomly sleep with him!

Gorefiend likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.