main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Republic and battle droids

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by SmoovBillyDee, Aug 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmoovBillyDee

SmoovBillyDee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    It's been a while since I posted an idea and I had a good one recently.

During AOTC, the Republic army managed to defeat the Geonosian droid army. It stands to reason that they would have also siezed control of the droid foundries that the Trade Federation and Techno Union Army used to create their droids.

With these droids now in hand and the clone troopers at the Republic's disposal, wouldn't the Republic be able to decimate the armies of the Separatists? The army would have almost doubled in size.

Even if Palpatine didn't wish to use them, the Jedi would have probably voiced their favor of the droids strongly. Yes, they're easy to cut through, but the use of droids presents less of a moral quandry. The Jedi don't think of droids as a life, as represented by Obi-Wan's statement to Dex:

If droids could think, there'd be none of us here.

I am of the opinion that the Republic will use the droids that they have claimed. Maybe not as much as they should or as well strategy-wise as they could (like the North in the Civil War). But we should see them being used.

2. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    I doubt that... The Empire uses stormies. Not droids. I don't see why they would care about using the clones. I mean they obviously had the ability to make droids. They owned most of the galaxy. :p

But they chose clones because they are "emmensely supperior to droids". I just don't see why they'd abandon the clones for the droids, and then go BACK to the clones (stormtroopers).

3. SmoovBillyDee

Jul 2, 2002
    Well, I never said that they would ditch the clonetroopers. Those are here to stay, as we know from the OT.

However, they can make use of the droids as well. You put those two together and you have an enormous army. Plus, the Jedi have reservations about the morality of using clonetroopers, as do some of the Senators. The droids can be used to placate them.

4. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    The droids can be used to placate them.

I think the Senate/Jedi were against an army in general, hoping for a peaceful solution to the seperatist problem. The clones were a done deal regardless of the outcome of the Senates vote - but using the armies of the enemy to add to the Republic ranks may have been seen as a bad thing because of the increasing strength of the military.
    It would have been a good thing from Palpys point of view to have a bigger army, but why risk a controversial act when you have an army with the approval of the Jedi/Senate?

I might just be rambling at this point, sorry :p.

5. Master_Grover

Master_Grover Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2002
    Actually you're not, KaaShamau.

They just wouldnt make droids for the republic. Theyve got their own army and as KaaShamau said before, the creation of a vast clone army was already done secretly, and no one in the senate was about to agree with using hundreds of thousands of droids, maybe millions on top of this. Palps couldve used his emergency powers to do this, but he chose to bide his time. Wouldve caused too much of an uproar.

Anyway, I think with Dooku being killed in the next installment, palps will have joined the 2 factions together by the end of EP3. AKA empire.

6. SmoovBillyDee

Jul 2, 2002
    I agree with some of the points that have been made. However, I would hope that the Senators would want to end the war as quickly as possible. This would be a whole lot easier with a larger army, which the droids would provide.

Granted, Palpatine has complete control right now. But we do know that the Senate still exists in ANH, meaning that there really hasn't been an uprising from those Senators. Dooku said that a good portion of the Senate was under the influence of Sidious, not all of them. Those that aren't under control might still have reserved feeling about using clones.

Bail Organa said that the Senate would never approve the use of clones, not that they wouldn't go to war. In order to keep those Senators not under his influence, Palpatine could use the droids to quell their misgivings about using clones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.