main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Resistance did not destroy Starkiller base

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Argalin, Dec 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Argalin

Argalin Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    Okay so maybe they technically did, but I wanted to bring up something I realized upon my 2nd viewing of this film that I haven't seen anyone else mention. When I realized this it helped me deal with my disbelief that the entire planet exploded so easily from the oscillator's destruction. I will also add that for some that my point will come as a "no duh", but there are plenty of people I've seen complain about how Starkiller base's destruction didn't make sense and it should have only been incapacitated.

So the point here is simple. The oscillator on Starkiller base regulated and controlled the energy that it absorbed from the nearby sun. When the oscillator was destroyed the machine had just absorbed the sun's energy entirely. That energy could no longer be contained or controlled and ended up destroying the base.

The Resistance did not blow up Starkiller base, it blew itself up with uncontrollable energy.

This is my interpretation anyway. Is this how you viewed this? Even the Resistance guy mentions that it may only stop the weapon from being fired if they destroy the oscillator so I see how an argument the other way could be made. What are your thoughts?

2. Phasma's Armor Polish

Phasma's Armor Polish Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 29, 2015
    Yeah, it's been mentioned before.

3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think it's a given that this is why Starkillerbase imploded. Reminded me of Vulcan in Star Trek 09.

4. arbitrage

arbitrage Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes this is how I viewed it. Reading the novel made it crystal clear. Interesting that in the novel the base worked differently. It used the sun's energy but didn't "drain" the sun. It used the energy to suck in dark matter to fuel the ray and it used a hole in space time to shoot the beam instantly to whatever other solar system it wanted to destroy. You wouldn't have seen the streaking red beam if they'd kept it like the original script/novel.

Also of interest is that it is confirmed in the novel that a new star was created from the planet. Also a new star was created when the planet with the Republic Senate was destroyed by Starkiller. Both times the novel mentions that each system had become a "binary"

5. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    I caught onto that second viewing. Personally I feel that the resistance should've kept the base to themselves.

6. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    Interesting. So Starkiller didn't blow up the planets, it just converted them into stars.

7. Thom Skywalker

Thom Skywalker Jedi Master star 1

Dec 1, 2014

Same interpretation here. Even a small fraction of a sun's energy would have destroyed the planet if it had got out of control...

8. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Interested to find out where the First Order's head base planet..thing,.actually is. Surely StarKiller was just a weapon and not their ACTUAL headquarters? Aren't they supposed to be in control of a fairly significant part of the Galaxy? I'm assuming Snoke was communicating from there? *shrug*

9. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Snoke was reporting from his trillion credit penthouse on Coruscant. Not seen were his dancing Twi'lek girls and his hot tub.

Jcuk and Vorax like this.
  10. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Snoke is in a mobile(sounds like a Star Destroyer?) HQ, likely in the Unknown Regions where the First Order resides since the Imperials were forced to flee there after the war.

11. Argalin

Argalin Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    I think the biggest thing that made this revelation complete to me is that they blew up the base at the only moment it was really possible. Assaulting the Starkiller base at any other time then when it had absorbed the energy would have been a "useless gesture."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.