main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'The Resistance' - My first film... Comments please!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Sithman, Aug 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Hey guys. :)

I'm a long time lurker and reader on this forum. Anyways, I have just finished my first film ever exactly a week ago, and now I have finally compressed it and gotten it online (SUPER special thanks to JEDIBYKNIGHT for hosting it on his site! :D ). And, of course, I would love some feedback!

Here's some backstory on this film:

--First off, [b]this is my first film[/b], so [i]please[/i] be kind with your reviews. :( I'm only 17 and with a small budget, as well, so go easy, eh? :)

--Secondly, the actors in this movie are, well, [i]not[/i] actors; they are just my friends who were willing to do this movie for/with me! So, comments on the acting are appreciated, but, in all honesty, these aren't actors, they're just normal kids like you and me who I were willing to act for me!

--Thirdly, this is not a Star Wars fanfilm. It's just a film. It was never intended to be a Star Wars fanfilm (I never intended to rotoscope the blades or anything). It was meant to be an original film from the start. So, yeah, it's not a Star Wars fanfilm. :p

--Lastly, dialogue and scripwriting really aren't my thing. This was an exercise in cinematography and directing a real movie, so, yeah, the lines and dialogue, well, I dunno, you get the point I think. :p
    [hr]

And so, I [i]really[/i] would love you guys to download it and comment on it! For a first film, I am proud of it, but still... It IS my first movie, so be kind. :D

Without further adeiu, here it is...

[link=http://www.yossamfilms.com/samuel/TheResistance.mov][b]The Resistance[/b][/link]

[hr]
    Well, for those of you who would want them, here is [link=http://fvabaseball.org/mo/bloopers.mov][b]The Resistance BLOOPER REEL[/b][/link]!!! :D

SUPER thanks to [b]General Kenobi[/b] for uploading it to his site! :D

2. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Sithman... made a fanfilm? :eek:

Hehe hey dude, dling now.

3. doggans

doggans Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 31, 2002
    Slight Spoilers...

You know, somehow, with you, I expected golf clubs to be in there somewhere. ;)

Pretty good directing and photography, and nice choreography. I enjoyed it. :D It could have worked as a SW fanfilm--about the Rebellion and all--but I liked it's "real world" setting; it's something different that not many fanfilmers do these days.

And, I just watched "Art of the Saber"; I'm going to have that Black Hawk Down song (it has singing in it!) stuck in my head all day now. :p

4. HTS_HetH

HTS_HetH Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Just watched it and it really wasn´t bad at all. I actually had quite a fun watching your movie.

I like the choice of music and the camera angles, it really gives the fighting scene a fast pace. There were only a few "so-so" scenes in there and I think one continuity error in regards og how one of the actors stands between shots, but nothing serious.

So all in all a nice attempt, especially for your first movie. Two thumbs up from me ;)

5. J-Solo

J-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 1999
    It's very good. When does the version with the golf clubs rotoed come out? :D

The coreography was very good. And I've been thinking here, and I think it's the first time I see a "golf club" fight like that, like a saber fight, I mean. One wonders what those clubs were doing there on the floor on the first place, but it doesn't matter.

Just an advice: careful with you camera angles when filming people talking to each other. There is a whole dialogue where both actors are looking left. Usually you have the guy on the left looking right, and the guy on the right looking left, got it? I liked the film. And I think there's even a "message" in it: once you decide to go for the fire arm, you're in trouble. :)

Nice movie. (and you can't do wrong with a score like that)

6. Sau-Den

Sau-Den Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Sithman, don't post little disclaimers like that before people watch your film. It makes it seem that you don't have any faith in your film and that you are a little ashamed of it. I'm downloading it right now so I will be posting my review shortly.

7. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Wow, everyone, thanks SO much for the comments. :) I really, honestly appreciate them, thanks so much! I'll reply individually now...

[b]doggans[/b]: Thanks a lot man with the compliments, I get down on myself with my films a bit, so that realy makes a big difference, thanks! Oh, and yes, I [i]love[/i] that music track, Gortaz Aran from Black Hawk Down. :D I really liked the setting too. The alley, I thought was an original setting that hadn't been done that often before in fanfilms that I'd seen, and alleys have always fascinated me for some reason. I liked it too. :)

[b]HTS_HetH[/b]: Thanks once again, man. And yes, the continuity errors... I know. But the lighting worked out better the way I did it... And I hoped not too many people noticed. Oh well. :( I still don't think it was so bad. :)

[b]J-Solo[/b]: Hahaha, the roto'd version never comes out. :p This isn't a Star Wars film, remember? ;) But as to the choreography, thanks a ton! I really put a lot of work into it and rehearsing it with my friends/"actors". :) Oh, and what were the clubs doing there? Well, that's one reason I love alleys. :D You can find ANYTHING in them! :D That's another reason why they've always fascinated me... And it just kind of worked out in this movie. You know, someone threw them away back there, and the garbage guys hadn't picked them up yet or somethin'!
    As for the dialogue camera shots... I KNOW! [face_cry] You see, after filming the first two monologue scenes (which was Day 1 of filming), I didn't really think about it. But after 2 more days of filming and after beginning to edit it, I realized that I had done that! :( So, when we came to our final and last day of filming (day 4) when we filmed the last quick dialogue between the two Officers, I did do it the "right" way with one character on one side and and then the other on the other side of the screen. :) So, yes, I did notice that I messed it up the first time, and did the rest of it the correct way, but thanks for noticing and critiquing! It's what I need!
    And the "message" of the film... Well, not quite the one you mentioned ( ;) ), but if you listen to the dialogue, there is a little backstory and then message that I worked in there for such a short film. I actually like the very last line in the movie quite a bit... Goes with the "message" that I tried to express in the film. I hope it worked! Thanks, though, man.

[b]Sau-Den[/b]: I guess I shoudln't, I dunno. I just feel like so inadequite posting it here with such big names that we have posting here... Dunno, I feel like it stinks badly compared to them. When talking with others, I'm very proud of it, but around here, people make such amazing films, I feel... Like scared. :p But you're right, I should take more pride in it here as I do in real life! Thanks! I look forward to your review/comments!

8. Sau-Den

Sau-Den Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Hey, everybody was at some point a nobody on these forums, everybody had a first film to post on here. I mean look at my film The Movie Spoof I made it for like $50 and it had enough fan support which inspired me to make it into a trilogy. Just because you don't have a butt load of money to spend on your film doesn't mean it isn't great. That's one of the best things about this type of filmmaking, taking nothing and making it into something.

9. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Oh, and I forgot to mention...

Every "clang", "bang", golf club "slide" against each other, or "clatter" onto the ground I created and recorded myself. :) That's one thing that I'm actually very proud of. :)

In all, I recorded just under 40 sounds for all the clang, hits, slides, etc, and I really like how it turned out. So many guys here just download stuff off the net that sounds kind of half-real or doesn't really work that I really wanted to design and record my own sounds for the fight scene. :)

So, yeah, I'm very proud of that. :D

P.S. Anyone want to guess as to what I used to make the sounds? ;)

10. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    And you should. Although as a duffer, I cringed every time those clubs hit each other!

11. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Sorry for being illiterate, but duffer means...? :confused: (golf term? "duffing it"?)

12. vanpuyer8

vanpuyer8 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2002
    h...Verty Nice. A few things

The Camera movements were a little to jerky, but oh well.

*Wonders how you got ahold of the Pirates of the Carrabien Music* Oh Well.

Very Good for you frist film.

13. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Pirates of the Caribbean music... Well, see, you go to the store and buy the soundtrack. :p

A friend in my Fanforce picked up a copy for me (cuz he found two and I couldnt' find one). :)

It's my favorite soundtrack of the year. :)

Oh, and about the jerky camera movements... Sorry about that, I'll try to work on it (though I didn't think they were all bad. :-\ Oh well. )

14. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Duffer = a term for a not-so-good golfer (see me ;))

I loved the film! A great first effort...

:D

Oh, yeah, I was gonna mention the "sword-like" sound effects. Very cool that you recorded them yourself.

15. doggans

Aug 31, 2002
    Man, I can't find the soundtrack anywhere, either. Lucky mod... (You are talking about General Kenobi, right?)

EDIT: Well, speaking of the ol' boy himself... :p

16. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    It was quite amusing, and I liked the music.

17. Eizo1987

Eizo1987 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2003
    WHOA! Never seen a manager post before!

Hey there! :D

/offtopic

Film was ace, a bit more variation needed with the golf-clubs though.

I luuuuuurved those guns. God knows where you got them. If you even managed to find replicas like that in the UK you would have to do some SERIOUS Q&A Before you can use them like you did

Did anyone come up to asking why you were pointing a rifle out of a car window, or holding your gun like your about to execute that guy? Or is that the norm there (No, I did not mean it in that sense)

Very Kool :D That matrix music made me feel a little uncomfortable though (then again, wait till my film comes out....)

Nice fast cuts and some agent-like-guy who came across very serious to me. Sounded like he really likes acting. Great news for you I guess :D Im stuck with two Monty Python fans.

Great Film :D

18. doggans

Aug 31, 2002
    Or is that the norm there

Yeah, Sithy lives in Chicago. :p

19. Jedi_KNick

Jedi_KNick Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2003
    Nice pistol!
    8-}

Two things I didn't like:

Continuity error: when the guy in the black shirt readies his "golf saber", the shot after shows him facing a different direction.

Also, you used the same piece of music the Ho brothers used, which I don't take kindly to.

Other than that, great movie.

-KNick

20. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "I luuuuuurved those guns. God knows where you got them. If you even managed to find replicas like that in the UK you would have to do some SERIOUS Q&A Before you can use them like you did"

[face_laugh] Thanks man! LOL, but the
    pistol is a $5 gun from the toy store and the rifle is a $40 BB gun! lol, but as for your next comment...

"Did anyone come up to asking why you were pointing a rifle out of a car window, or holding your gun like your about to execute that guy? Or is that the norm there (No, I did not mean it in that sense)"

Check the credits for some in-jokes with the actors concerning the cops. Yes, on the 3rd day of filming, we had 3 County Troopers and 1 city cop screech up to the alley, block off the alleyway with their squad cars while one of the county sherrifs ran at me with his loaded gun shouting "PUT THE F-ING GUN DOWN!!! PUT IT DOWN" as I held the rifle prop while showing one actor how I wanted him to do a scene. Apparently some old lady at the gas station across the street was FREAKING OUT cuz she saw the "real gun" being pointed around. Anyways, we didn't get arrested or fined, but I have never been so scared in my life. Later on, after the County Sherrifs left, the city police guy told me that I was, "lucky the County Sherrif didn't shoot me before asking questions. You get an old trooper out here on a gun call, and they don't have any rules."

Needless to say, that comment kind of left me like " [face_shocked] " for the rest of the day. Anyways, see the credits for some humorous comments about that incident. [face_shocked]

"Film was ace, a bit more variation needed with the golf-clubs though."

Thanks, what did you mean by this... I was confused. :confused:

"Nice fast cuts"

Thank you very much, I liked how they worked out too. :)

"and some agent-like-guy who came across very serious to me. Sounded like he really likes acting. Great news for you I guess"

Heh, yeah, they're both actually supposed to be some sort of cop agent... But the one who fights I just wanted it to seem like he had been chasing this "rebel on the run" longer... Like for many hours, thus he had ditched the jacket and rolled up his sleeves. Just a little thinking that went into the production/costume design. :)

Oh, and none of us our actors, lol, I just try my darndest as a director to get 'em to act. ;) And yes, I think both officers came off pretty good. :)

21. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Jedi_KNick:

"Also, you used the same piece of music the Ho brothers used, which I don't take kindly to."

Last time I checked, that music was from Black Hawk Down, and anyone could use it. ;)

I don't think the Ho brothers (though I really admire their work) invented using that track in a movie, my friend. ;)

But thank you for the nice comments! I appreciate them, man. :)

22. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Hey Sithy,

I haven't DL'd yet (will do that when I'm not at work), but noticed comments above regarding the faces during dialogue.

So, yes, I did notice that I messed it up the first time, and did the rest of it the correct way

It's a rough and ready way, especially if the clothes are assymetrical (pockets etc), but you could always "flip the film" (or "mirror the file") to pseudo-correct it during post-production and have one of the speakers face the other way.

Maybe for your Special Edition, huh? ;)

23. The Jedi Apprentice

The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 1999
    Hey this was actually pretty entertaining. The acting was so-so. But I really really enjoyed the fight scene. Great choreography, very good timing.

Good job.

24. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Well, the thing is, if I flipped the frames, the alley and fence would be on the incorrect side, ya see? But, ah well, I'd love for you to see it, jp! :) (and respond after you do see it, of course would be great! :) )

EDIT: Thanks so much Jedi Apprentice... It really means a lot! That's what it really was supposed to be... An exercise in (1) directing/producing a full film, (2) cinematography (my favorite aspect of film), and (3) choreography. The dialogue... Well, I'm bad at writing it, and they're bad at speaking it, so it doesn't always work, and I didn't really expect it to be stellar. ;) But thanksa ton! :D

25. Jedi_KNick

Jedi_KNick Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2003
    I never meant that they invented it, just saying you could of used a different piece of music. But yeah, that cop story is a good one.

Pretty exciting.

-KNick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.