main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT RYL: PT Social Thread - The First Annual RYL Awards (name pending)(TM) Day 5!!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Nov 1, 2017.

?

Which "Disney Star Wars" movie is your favorite?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2019.
  1. Episode VII - The Force Awakens

14.3%
  2. Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

25.7%
  3. ROGUE One: A Star Wars Story

45.7%
  4. Solo: A Star Wars Story

2.9%
  5. The Pillar of Storge: A Pillar of Storge Story

11.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

2. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually that was George Lucas, a long time ago. Good start.
    I'm pretty sure they each have their own ass. So maybe you meant asses?
    Did they? How did you determine this? And hoping someone burns in Hell for no particular reason is not nice. Don't you know that?
    Do you really think all the shareholders deserve your scorn? A few of them I'm sure are living modestly and others are in mutual funds that may be someone's poor grandmother's retirement plan.

Sucking a cock-a-doodle-doo is not really a denigration except in homophobe circles. So c'mon. Get with it. If you're gonna hate, hate well.
    Depends on who's interviewing. I suspect lots of people want him for his mind now and their's only one or two that are such *******s that they'd ask that.
    Nice critique.
    Why would KK get fired for making Disney soooo muuuuuch moooooney!?!$$$$$$$$$$
    Bob Iger? IDK. Whoever it is is probably getting a raise and extension too.
    By "some many" I guess you mean the not so many but so loud MRAs?
    Did someone Clockwork Orange you?
    I'm sure the more he encounters hate like in your post the more he would want to accommodate you.
    Oh yeah. This is another MRA rape fantasy. And the rest of you feel sorry for this *******? Well, in your defense I guess you all stopped reading after just a line or two. I did the same at first.
    whatever
    You're a parrot of hateful people. Congrats.

Star Wars is a much better version of itself now thanks to KK, JJ and especially RJ. We've gone from that ****bag, Han Solo, saying, "If we can avoid anymore female advice," and not suffering any consequence to leading heroes like Rey and Holdo and Leia. I really hope George is a better person now but boy was he not progressive in '77. I guess you wouldn't want to hate him for that but hey you can still hate him for pioneering the feature-film-as-toy-ad industry and then selling his children to Disney for piles and piles of money. Oh and it was George who hired KK. So you want Disney to pick the Lucasfilm boss instead?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    My goodness, this thread has suddenly become controversy after controversy.

And for the record @Darkslayer I SAID MY GOODNESS. I hope that's okay.

4. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    This is by far the film's worst lingering aspect for me. Though, it's not so much that the acting is bad versus the overall choice in dramatic style impressed upon the cast that is just so painfully conventional with the kind of default "faux sobriety" ubiquitous throughout mainstream genre film/television. Lots of downcast expressions and that constant monotonal pitch in dialogue where everyone speaks as if they just walked off the set of a BBC procedural drama. Contrarily, my allowance for such is twofold:

A) It's regulated entirely to the protagonists' end of the film, with Krennic, Tarkin, Vader of course, and just the feel of the Empire as a whole maintaining near absolute fidelity with all the haughty sneering and callousness depicted in A New Hope. Ben Mendelsohn's performance is indeed a pleasure in how his character squirms like a friendless, petulant man-child playing dress-up, desperate for the kind of status that'll afford him his own figurative "executive bathroom" among the Imperial elite. And I'll champion CG Tarkin til the day I die; no, he's not real (in the idiotic sense) but rather valley'd uncannily in the best possible way, evoking a phantasmagorical quality apropos to Peter Cushing's Hammer horror aura.

B) Aforesaid presentation of the heroes is oddly refreshing, at least when compared to their ST brethren, whose Abrams-set affectations are oft phony and even a bit obnoxious—enough so where I still postulate that the best kind of non-Lucas Star Wars movie -- unable to match his unique tones for pulp, storybook naivete and heightened romance -- is one that forgoes such attempts altogether with a largely impersonal disposition.

As you can see, I'm of two minds about it. My chief praise instead for Rogue One is its stripping of space opera down to a rigorous mission plot (whatever holes in which are, honestly, of minor importance to me) that backstories but a mere, albeit massive, mechanical thing: the Death Star. Really, it's the Death Star's movie. So it's okay that the proceedings are a bit dry and charmless. It also averages the most memorable visuals of the Disney/Lucasfilm era, including the most complete, readable and purposefully-yet-dynamically choreographed space battles.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  5. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    what on Earth happened herelast/night today?

[​IMG]

If someone doesn't like something (especially if it's a movie/aspects of a movie...it really doesn't matter. It's a movie.

With that said, after speaking to a few people I am perfectly fine in expressing things I like and dislike in equal measure.

6. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Waaaait, are you actually me? I did that 3 months ago.

And I took ALL my sets apart and reboxed/bagged them. It was a nightmare that I have yet to recover from :( (as in, they aren't all rebuilt)
    And I, too, have the tower of Orthanc. No death star, I only buy Prequel material at the moment.

7. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[face_not_talking]

:p
    The Three Stooges are the greatest- dated? nah. they are technically from my great-grandparents time, yet its something my grandparents, parents and myself have come to enjoy. Its a classic that some young people still enjoy and that comedians should watch these days to learn WHAT IT MEANS TO BE FUNNY ( hint: looking at you, Judd Apatow, Seth Rogen and company :mad:)

so yeah those are my two cents

but yeah I won't throw a pie if you don't find it funny :p

(after reading the thread, I feel bad for going after poor Hutt) :p

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  8. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
  9. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    Never seen him except for BTS stuff in which they show inspiration for some of the scenes including Jar Jar.

But I guess he's probably alright at the very least

Jedi Knight Fett and Dandelo like this.
  10. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    *sends Buster Keaton tapes to EJC*

11. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    Everyone stop what you´re doing, and look at this photo.
    [​IMG]

12. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    ^ Cool photo.

Jedi Knight Fett and CIS Droid like this.
  13. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Good...morning everybody?

14. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Posted @BookExogorth's gift fic and I am at work. Good morning so far.

15. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    Feeling a little confused today? :p

Jedi Knight Fett and Darkslayer like this.
  16. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Looks like it.

17. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I was actually debating whether or not to post that pic, but I thought it belonged here more than in the memes one. I even posted it in spoiler tags so it wouldn't be visible as soon as you click on that page. That's where the problem is. It wasn't about you, Hutt. Although I was surprised you found it weird. But I didn't take it personally, it's fine.

Regarding this place in general...
    I've been posting less here for quite some time because there were things that made me feel uncomfortable and frustrated. And I used to have so much fun in this thread. It's the only place on the internet where I talk to people I don't know in real life. I came here for SW, but things went much further than I could've imagined when I signed up.

As I've said to a few people already, this thread used to accept weirdness and weird, ambiguous humor (remember bananas, anyone?). Heck, it was known for it! What happened? I feel like I have to be careful about what I say so I wouldn't offend anyone. I might have a weird sense of humor and use sarcasm, but I don't post hateful content or bash anything. I mean, no one does that here. It's ok if you don't like my content. But are boobs and nipples really scandalous? Or does swearing make anyone a bad person? Swear words are not used against anyone in this thread so no one should have to apologize for it.

This part might sound a bit contradictory to what I just wrote, but I think you'll understand what I'm trying to say.
    I went back to see what happened last night. Looks like this thread has a problem with negative opinions. Like, you're not allowed to say that you dislike a movie/TV show/anything else. Why is it a problem if I say I don't like this or that movie? Do I offend anyone personally if I dislike the movie they like? When someone says they like TFA or dislike ROTS, their statement has to be followed by an obligatory "please, don't kill me". Do you think that's ok? A movie is someone else's work, not yours, so it's not you who's being criticized or disliked.

On the other hand, I'm all about making fun of SW. And you know why? Because I love it. Because everyone knows it's not in a malicious way. For example, I don't think posting prequel memes automatically means I approve of prequel bashing. I mean, come on. We've all made fun of the sand quote and other stuff. It's not bashing. And if someone comes here and says they don't like the prequels, it's fine, as long as they don't claim GL is an idiot and we're all idiots too for liking his movies. It's perfectly ok not to like certain parts of TPM/AOTC/TFA/whatever. People need to be free to say it without being frowned upon. It's just a movie. It's not the end of the world if someone disagrees with you on that, especially when they're not your best friend or someone else very close you'd expect support from.

That being said, it's certainly not anyone's disagreement with my preferences that makes me wanna leave this place. (I mean, if I wanna talk about Game of Thrones, I'll go to a thread where other fans discuss it.) It's a certain type of human behavior. That's all I'm gonna say because I can't do anything about it except ignore it. It's something that bothers me in real life and it bothers me on the internet.

I really don't wanna mod this thread or create drama with this post. As impulsive as I am, I'd rather take a break from here than create discord. These are all my personal feelings and I wanted to finally express them. Because I would expect from a place that likes such weird movies as the prequels to be ok with the freedom of expression, right?

18. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    What do you mean good morning? Do you wish to wish me a good morning? Or do you feel good this morning? Or is it a morning to be good on?

19. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Loved that movie!

20. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Me too!

21. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    @Evening Star I apologize if I went too far with my scandalized post- you know me, It was I guess part of the older threads that whenever those kinds of images where posted I made a "scene"- it's more of a joke than anything, and I don't post it to get angry or start an argument.

All is good- [face_peace]

22. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    I hope so.

23. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I get some of what you're saying, @Evening Star. But I think some of the "having a problem with negative opinions" thing you're referencing is just ppl joking around (like for instance, my "broken hearts" response to B3 saying ROTS is his least fave to watch...B3 is one of my best friends here, I was just teasing him because ROTS is my very fave, and he knows I was just teasing.) But yes, there are probably also some ppl here who are more genuinely bothered if others express dislike for something they like. And that's too bad. But I'm not sure there's anything that can be done about that.[face_dunno]

As far as swearing, I don't have a problem with that in itself, nor do I think it makes someone a bad person (I swear quite a bit at home IRL, lol). I will say that angry references to an "agenda" in new SW and references to violent imagery (like what that "agenda" can/should do with a lightsaber) or wishing people "burn in hell" for making a movie does make me uncomfortable.

And yes, I think RYL is less "weird" than it used to be, but I kind of think that social threads just naturally and gradually change all the time, as people leave (permanently or just periodically because they're busier or for whatever reason) and new people come in. It may get "weirder" again in the future, who knows.

At any rate, I'm genuinely sorry you haven't enjoyed the thread as much, because I have always enjoyed seeing you in the thread. I hope even if you take a break, that you'll try coming back at some point, because I think there are a number of other people who also enjoy seeing you here.:)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  24. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    So maybe I'm terrible at reading a room, or just missed some stuff, but I haven't taken anything said here to be intended to be negative to anyone here. At least with me, I feel like we might tease each-other sometimes (like how I do with @Darkslayer and the DC movies) but it's supposed to be in good fun, at least in my case it is intended to be. I know one time @Dagobahsystem and I had a misunderstanding where I said something that he took differently than what I intended but we worked it out pretty quickly. I mean really, other than @Seagoat we are all pretty weird....

Anyways, I think I've said something like this before, but I personally would never want to offend or hurt anyone's feelings here, and if I do, please say something to me about it. Things I post in here are meant to be in good fun and if I say I don't like something or criticize something it isn't meant to be an attack on anyone who does like those things. The only time I might seriously go after someone is if I think they are posting something bigoted or really nasty but I haven't seen anything like that here in a long time. And also keep in mind that I like some really, really dumb movies and TV shows and music......and I really don't care if anyone makes fun of me for it, to me it's all in good fun.

Anyways, you are all good folk and @Evening Star if you need to take a break obviously that is up to you, we would hate to see you go but do hope you will come back....I really hate to see anyone go though because I really do enjoy talking Star Wars and whatever else here with y'all [:D].

Okay that's it....hope everyone has a good weekend in store for them!

25. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Here's a pic of my dog on Christmas

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.