main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Return of Harrison Ford

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Gobi-1, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Here's a great article/opinion peice over at TheRaider.net about Harrison Ford's return to the role of Indiana Jones.

The Return of Harrsion Ford

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    A good article. I like Ford, though I sometimes wished he was more ambitious.

3. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    That article is brilliant a must read for any Indy fan.

4. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    I like him as an actor but he seems a little arrogant and pig-headed in real life, a little like Tom Cruise (only less with the arrogance for HF). Still, i wouldn't have anyone else playing Indy.

5. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Definatley a great article. Thanks for posting.

6. whiteeagle

whiteeagle Jedi Master star 6

Dec 24, 2004
    Great article

7. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Ford is quite cranky, and it comes across in his interviews. However, I prefer that to blandness.

8. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Yeah, i guess he's never boring in interviews.

9. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    It suits the part. :)

10. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    They did it for Bond.

11. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I have faith Harrison can still pull off Indy very well.

However, his acting range is limited in other roles. He plays the same type of person in every movie outside of Indy/Star Wars.

Its like we consistently see Richard Kimbell in anything he does.

12. LadyZaraMarta

LadyZaraMarta Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2004
    Harrison Ford will be remembered (or typecast ) for two roles:

Han Solo

Indiana Jones

In a way, Harrison Ford reminds me of actors of an older Hollywood.

Clark Gable, Gregory Peck, Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne.

Each of these actors gave solid performances and you knew you would be entertained when you sat down in the theatre to watch their latest films, but you knew the style of film each one
    excelled.

The audience of the 1930's demanded that Clark Gable be Rhett Butler. No one else would do.
    Can you think of 'Gone With the Wind' without Clark Gable? Who else at the time could have said with such style "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn?" an walk out on Scarlett.

( The producer gladly paid the fine for the use of profanity....my how times have changed!)

Neither could we see anyone else as Indiana Jones.

The character fits Harrison Ford as easily as his old leather jacket and fedorra.

Looking forward to seeing Indie one more time.

13. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I disagree with that. Harrison's earlier work was differant from role to role. Mosquito Coast was a little gem of a movie and Harrison was great in a role thats completely unique to him. Also don't forget Blade Runner, Witness, Presumed Innocent, Frantic and Working Girl. All very differant roles.

I'll agree that since The Fugitive his roles have been extremely limited, though. Most of his lat films are pretty dire, IMO.

14. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Harrison?s last good interesting performance was in What Lies Beneath back in 2000 so he?s defiantly due a good movie.

15. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    I just hope he doesn't make any more K19s or Firewalls.

16. Lavaman

Lavaman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2003
    I don't care what anyone says; Hollywood Homicide is a great movie.[face_talk_hand][face_plain] A good action comedy; Harrison had some really funny moments in that movie.

People who think that Harrison Ford doesn't have any range should check out Mosquito Coast(Harrison Ford's best Dramatic performance IMO), and other movies that G-FETT mentioned. Also, What Lies Beneath.

17. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Mosquito Coast is amazing. And if I'm not mistaken, it's also Harrison's favorite performance.

18. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    According to him it is.

19. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Que?

20. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    I don't want another actor playing Indy. I know we've had River Pheonix and Sean Patrick Flannery, but I'm still opposed to another actor playing Indy in the same capacity as Harrison Ford.

Zaz says "they did it for Bond." That's exactly why I don't want it done to Indy. First off, if they did, Ford would be like Connery and none of his successors would ever match up. Harrison Ford owns the role. He is Indiana Jones. Second, having another actor take up the mantle cheapens the franchise. There's something very personal about seeing Harrison Ford, and Sean Connery as Indy. That'll especially be true after Indy IV, where we watch his character, with a son, 20 years later.

However, depending on how his character is portrayed in IV, perhaps I'd be open to a spin-off series with the son taking on the mantle of his dad.

21. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    haha yeah I read it again it makes little sense. I was only confirming what you said about Mosquito Coast being Harrison's favorite performance. He did indeed say that.

22. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Harrison Ford does a job acting like a Cocky **** in both Star Wars/Indy. In the films its like he plays the same guy, but one guy is in totally in made up Unversie and the other guy in the real world which is Earth. Not that Indy jones films are based off of Historic event but you guy got the picture.

23. KYP_DURRON85

KYP_DURRON85 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2003
    Great article.

And I agree, that you cant do the same with Indy as you can do with bond franchine.

First of all since the first Bond movie we've been treated with a new Bond film few years apart the other and the phase has been fast, with the ever changing actors and films that mirror their times.

But with Indy we've only had Ford (apart from young Indy series, and River Phoenix as young Indy in the Last Crusade) and the phase of movie making has been rather slow after the first two. First one in the year -80, second -83, third 89- and now we've been waiting for the 4th one for over a decade. With the time given Ford has had the time to grow on us, more than any of the Bond actors ever could have.

Ford owns the role, and has done so for over two decades.

24. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I wouldn't mind seeing another actor in the role...

25. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.