main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Return of Slammin Sammy Sosa...

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Drac39, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Any thoughts on Sosa's big leauge come back? As a die hard Cubs fan he went from the savior to tratior in my eyes and I couldn't wait to see him be on the streets. Now though I'm thinking a little differently. Yeah he was an extremely poor sport but out of all the steroid defenses his is the most legitamate because his numbers actually made a significant enough decrease after a period in time. The fact that he took a year off to train also sends you some more positive messages.

I for one loved Sosa and the 1998 Wild Card year with a Kerry Wood in his rookie prime and Sammy and Big Mac on their home run race was what really turned me on baseball. Part of me doesn't want to see Sammy crucified because he was a childhood hero of mine.

If he did do steroids, I say rip him a new one but if he truly wants to make a legitmite chance at regaining his respect God Bless him.

If you have something to prove Sammy you do so or else get back in the shadows and stop disgracing the game that made you who you are...

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    If he can make the comeback, then good for him. Personally, I have serious doubts about him making the major league roster, especially given his numbers in '05... something like .221 with 14 homers, I think? If he can't beat that then his comeback will be over before it even starts. Sure, he had a year off... because nobody wanted him. Or at least, nobody wanted him for anywhere near the money he was demanding.

Only time will answer this story.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    This seems like a pretty much non-story to me. I doubt that Sosa is worth the hype he'll get at this point in time. He won't produce all that much, he's not a great clubhouse presence, and he's not a put-fans-in-the-seats kind of draw.

*yawn*

4. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Only The Rangers would bring in Sosa. :(

To be fair though, he is only getting a 500,000 contract, with most any money after that(2.5 million?) coming through performance incentives. That's even if he makes it through the minors(which I suspect he will). So, it's little risk considering the money involved.

I wouldn't be surprised a bit if he had partaken in steroids(as he did grow a lot bigger), but I think he has probably the best case, out of the major players accused, to say that he didn't.

Either way, meh says me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.