main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends ~The Return to the Corporate Sector~ Post-ROTJ, Action/Adventure/Romance, H/L 05/12

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ivylore, Dec 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LovelyLea

LovelyLea Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2001
    Doesn't look rusty to me! Great job! :)

2. ivylore

ivylore Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2000
    Happy Saturday all,

Hope you move was soothing and your transition into student OK.

Thanks Calgary! Overall yeah, it was pretty smooth. Granted, I'm not sure how I made it through university the first time. Currently I spend my entire weekends doing assignments. *baffled*

I actually had to re-read this entire story from the beginning. I had wanted to better flesh out the wolfmen in these scenes. We'll see. ;) That what final drafts are for...

Owphoenix, LovelyLea, Sock_of_Darth_Vader\:. Thanks! I'm relieved it didn't seem as rusty to you guys as it did to me. (Maybe that comes from me being out of the writing loop for so long?)

Ivy.... you need to correct your update line to read 11-5! not October!

Hehe. GreatOnewhat do you mean it's not October????

Done!

Ivy

3. calgary

calgary Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 3, 2004
    Hey girl! Get back in the groove and keep this page UP. Looking forward for more.

4. ivylore

Nov 5, 2000
    All rightie.

;)

5. Izzie

Izzie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2001
    woo i loved renewal!! really really

up

6. Geezerette50

Geezerette50 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2003
    Ivy, I have been looking forward to this update. I know of very few authors, and most of them are the unpaid kind, who have such a firm handle on WHO Leia IS. Your interpretation of her personality, her beliefs and dreams, and her growing reliance, here, on her intuition, as well as her recurrent shock at how deep her relationship with Han has become, lend a level of authenticity to your stories that few writers can attain. I never tire of your spin on further adventures of our favorite characters in a GFFA.

And I am now looking forward to another update....

Sue

7. LovelyLea

LovelyLea Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2001
    Yea! UP! :)

8. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
  9. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
    Merry Christmas!

10. ivylore

Nov 5, 2000
    Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays Everyone!!!!!!!

Thank you Geezerette50 . ;)

*Waves to Sock_of_Darth_Vader, Izzie and Lovely_Lea.*

It's not long, but it's an update.

~Chapter 10~

[/blockquote]
    [blockquote]
    When the [i]Falcon [/i]made the jump to lightspeed, Mooz howled as though he was being catapulted to his death amidst the stars.

?Never traveled at lightspeed?? Han asked, less than innocently, but not mockingly.

?No,? Thalus replied from a passenger chair behind him. Beside him, in the co-pilot?s seat, Mooz shuffled beneath his safety straps and tugged at the fur around his wrist. It came loose in small clumps and littered the [i]Falcon?s [/i]deck like miniature mammals.

?Don?t worry,? Han assured him, giving the navicomputer a firm pat. ?Flying is safer than skyhopping. You can check the statistics. And this ship has made thousands of jumps in the past few years. We?ve seen a lot together.?

Mooz didn?t look convinced, and Han consciously decided to forgo his usual stories about the [i]Falcon?s [/i]three droid brain controllers and their constant bickering. Their slow, two-day journey crammed in the third-class cabin of a decrepit passenger liner had been made almost amusing by Mooz?s phobia of deep space. Nothing Thalus said or did reassured the hirsute giant; everything Han said or did seemed to make things worse. When he eventually abandoned the cockpit, the pair shadowed him through the narrow corridors like lost Ewoks. Recalling that they?d eaten the equivalent of a small bantha over the past two days, Han dug around in the galley for Chewie?s stash of dried meat and fetched himself a drink.

?This is the galley and common area,? he explained. ?This passage way leads to my cabin. The other leads to the crew quarters and med-bay.?

?What?s that?? Thalus asked.

?The tech board console.?

?And that??

?The supply closet.? The duo had also left certain areas of their third-class cabin on the way to Reltooine smelling like a nerf carcass. ?Beside it is the head.?

?Where does that door go??

?Nowhere. It?s the starboard airlock.?

Mooz growled and barked to Thalus, backing away with his fur bristling, all the while watching his toes as if to make sure he didn?t step on a booby-trap.

Han set his drink down on the holo-table with a slap. ?What wrong with him??

?He is concerned about your threat to kill him.?

?I never said I was going to kill him.?

?You threatened to throw him out an airlock.?

?When the hell did I? oh.? Well, of course, he?d been exaggerating; he?d needed their help. ?Listen, I promise that when I dump you out we?ll be on land somewhere you?d rather be than here.? The satchel Han had retrieved from Tion?s embassy was on the floor. He carefully withdrew the computer interface component and data crystals, thinking about Leia and the way she?d looked when he rescued her. He could have planted a kiss on Thalus? muzzle for that, for rescuing him from the Yaka within the compound. The Shistavanen warriors had saved his life not once, but twice. ?Listen. I owe you two. I won?t forget it.?

?What did you take from Tion??

?Um well?? The data crystals were all marked in a foreign alphabet. ?You wouldn?t happen to read and write Tionese??

?No.?

?Figures.? Han carried the loot over to the [i]Falcon?s [/i]com-scan system, grabbed a spare cable and plugged it into the interface component?s input slot. Then he began running the data crystals one by one beneath the scanner. The com-scan system had an automated translator that covered all major trade languages. Han was pretty sure Tionese was one of them. While it began scanning, he strapped on his tie-down holster and unclipped his blaster from the wall rack.

From across the room, Mooz made a sound that was somewhere between a growl and a hiss.

?Your people have Leia,? Han said dryly. ?Maybe we could all work on our paranoia.?

Unperturbed, Thalus stroked the pointed tufts hanging from his

11. calgary

Jan 3, 2004
    Oh so great to see a post! Will you be updating on a more regular schedule? I know you edit a lot of your writing. Man, is this story geting tighter and tighter. Great post.

12. ivylore

Nov 5, 2000
    I'm working at it. There's not much left, actually. Two or three updates, tops.

I've spent the past week editing the entire draft from start to finish, including a few extra scenes, and am ploughing headfirst into tackling this scribbly last chapter.

You might say it's my holiday mantra must finish fic... must finish fic... .

13. calgary

Jan 3, 2004
    Only a few more posts...and then the end? Sob! I was hoping for something longer then Renewal.

14. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    I am so happy for an update, I will not complain that the story is nearing its end! But I am still very worried about Leia. :eek:

15. ivylore

Nov 5, 2000
    Longer than Renewal ? Calgary , you're mad! :) In a good way, of course.

Hey GreatOne!

16. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
    Good post! I feel sort of in limbo, similar to what Han must be feeling. :)

17. Solo_Fan

Solo_Fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Can't wait to see how this resolves itself. Once again, your characterizations of Han and Leia are superb. :)

18. Geezerette50

Dec 28, 2003
    Glad you found time to update, Ivy! We are so close to the conclusion now, it's making it hard to wait for that resolution we know must be coming.

It is also difficult to watch our couple, separately, battling not only the adversaries who confront them scene to scene, but the fears that lurk within, threatening to choke them with the dread of what might be, or might have, happened to one another in the time they have been separated.

Here's hoping that you don't have to get back to school for awhile so that you can squeeze in another chapter soon.

Sue

19. ivylore

Nov 5, 2000
    Over the holidays, I had a terrible thought, or slice of memory come back to me. There were a few people who had asked me to let them know when I updated!!! Alas, I think, it's quite possible I left that information on my old computer in mid-fall, so if anyone is reading, thinking, "she never e-mailed," I sincerely apologize.

Thanks Sock_of_Darth_Vader and Solo_Fan!

Geezerette50: Thanks too! Yes, I think, rightly so, they're both feeling very different form of anxiety - I'm hoping to expand on it slightly in the final version.

Here's hoping that you don't have to get back to school for awhile so that you can squeeze in another chapter soon

No kidding! Going back to school has completely slowed me down, but it shall not WIN! :)

For anyone interested, I have managed to begin putting this fic up at my site.

Ivy

20. calgary

Jan 3, 2004
    Just wanted to tell you how cool it is reading your completed version on your site. I can see how your editing paid off. Great extra dimension to Han and Leia. Still looking forward to the last chapter here.

21. ivylore

Nov 5, 2000
    Thanks Calgary! Editing and time are my two favourite writing tools. Hopefully I'll get a lot of writing done this weekend.

Ivy

22. Izzie

Izzie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2001
  23. ivylore

Nov 5, 2000
    For anyone following this, I've been drowning in schoolwork and am running a bit behind.

Next update will be during my break week, the last week of Februrary.

Ivy

24. Geezerette50

Dec 28, 2003
    That's good news, Ivy! Only a couple of weeks more, then!

Looking forward to the update.

Sue

25. ivylore

Nov 5, 2000
    Drafty but it's an update.

Hopefully this week's break from school will let me work on getting this fic wrapped up.

~Chapter 10~(Continued)

[/blockquote]
    [blockquote]

?Your Highness, we have a connection.?

Leia Organa posed herself carefully before the holocomm unit. ?Turn it on.?

A face she knew and loved dearly materialized above the central pad. ?This had better be important,? Han was saying to no one in particular.

?It is.?

?[i]Leia[/i]??

?It?s me.? She checked her chrono and her smile, wondering who he thought would be contacting him. ?We don?t have much time and I need you to listen to me very carefully.?

?Did something happen??

?No.? She shook her head slowly. ?No, not yet.?

?Tell me what-?

?The afternoon I visited the Alderaanian Embassy. Do you remember that??

?Yes.?

?I was upset. I told you I?d felt something. Only it wasn?t a feeling.? Leia hunched her shoulders inward and lowered her voice so that the other occupants of the room couldn?t quite hear her. ?I saw your ship, the [i]Millennium Falcon[/i], in the deserts outside Trade City being chased toward a sweeper storm by a pair of headhunters. You meant to swerve around it but they surprised you from the other side. Your ship flew directly into the storm and was destroyed by the energy field.? She swallowed thickly. Each hand shrivelled into a fist. ?I don?t know how it happened; only that it did. It still might happen.?

Han?s tone was grim. ?You had this vision and you didn?t-?

She cut him off. ?It?s not a good time.?

?I understand,? he grunted, although his face plainly showed that they would be talking about this at length come time later.

?They say the sweeper storms have destroyed suspicious crafts before,? she explained. Fifty-seven in the last five years, to be precise, give or take three that may have been the result of pilot error. ?The local government typically rules such incidents as accidental, but there are rumours that the advanced artificial weather system on Bonadan is tied to its security system.?

?That?s impossible.?

?Is it??

?I don?t know. [i]Ah[/i].? He wiped the back of his hand across his mouth. ?If they can and it is I?ll be flying into some type of ambush.?

?As near as we can surmise.?

?We?? Han?s face evinced surprise.

?I?m in contact with the Alderaanian Embassy. The den leader ? [i]Karauu[/i]-?

?Yeah, yeah. Thalus mentioned him. I can?t pronounce his name either.?

?One of his grandsons delivered a message from me to Houk Awouk, who in turn delivered it to the embassy.? She stepped to the side and gestured to the bearded man on her left. ?Minister Jarratt insisted on coming to see me personally on behalf of the embassy. As soon as I informed him what Ambassador Tion had attempted to do and what happened to Tyyla Arkana, he offered his assistance.?

At the mention of Tyyla?s name, the muscles in Han?s right cheek ticked. ?You?re still in the desert at the rendezvous point, aren?t you??

?We haven?t been able to plan any type of evacuation. Tion and five battalions of Espo have been searching for you, Mooz and Thalus for days. The den can?t risk returning to the city ? there are checkpoints coming out and in.? Leia checked her chrono again, despite the fact that the Minister?s guardsman, standing only a few metres away, was also keeping track and would alert her when their time was up. They had one minute and forty seconds left before the channel?s security could not be guaranteed.. ?We?ve been working on a back up plan.?

Han?s eyes narrowed suspiciously. ?Or this could be some kind of trap.?

In his imagination, she knew she might be standing a metre from the bare end of a blaster carbine and the man standing behind her might be one of Tion?s men. As planned, she motioned for Taroor, who?d been lingering in the doorway, to come forward and show herself. ?This is Thalus?s sister. She?ll speak with him if necessary. The others are only a room away.? Leia licked her lips

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.