main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends ~The Return to the Corporate Sector~ Post-ROTJ, Action/Adventure/Romance, H/L 05/12

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ivylore, Dec 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TiaRaye

TiaRaye Jedi Master star 1

Jun 3, 2003
    Page 4????? Not on MY watch!!!!!

Tia cracks whip

Up, Simba, UP!!!!!!!

Tia

2. calgary

calgary Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 3, 2004
    Up and at 'em Ivy! :D Your readers need you

3. ivylore

ivylore Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2000
    Merkuria: Sends big smiles and good karma for cheering me up.

GreatOne: I promise you'll get it!

Lovelylea: Hiya! *tries to write faster*

Tia:

Thanks. The new job is going well so far. It's only a contract so I can 'run away' when it ends if I like.

Secondly, love your website!

Thanks. I'm working on it as we speak. (See note below). Yup the unabridged/unedited version will be going up there. ;)

As for your comments, yes, you hit the nail on the head. I absolutely wanted to write this with a lot of early relationship 'play' involved, where they're sorting out their boundaries and faltering here and there, having firsts. I'm so glad it's working - or at least some of the time. I always dreamed about reading profic from this era too, but alas, it hasn't come yet.

Two moments that struck me in particular; Leia letting Han comfort her as she grieved for Alderaan, and Han's being surprised by the emotion that the CorSec officer's comment about Leia evoked.

I think the 'Alderaan factor' is extremely important; particularly how the other in the relationship handles it or even mishandles it early on.

Thanks for jumping in!

Calgary: Hi! Good to see you.

Updates note: I'm er.... running behind this week. I happened to land myself a copy of Photoshop and I've gone crazy playing with it. I didn't finish this week's post when I planned to so it's looking more like a weekend update.

Ivy

*who needs there to be more hours in a day*

4. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    A weekend post is Okay. :) So I will up this story, just because!

5. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    *sends muse vibes*

6. GreatOne

May 22, 2003
    130 sounds like such a nice number! :D

7. TiaRaye

Jun 3, 2003
    UP!!!!!

8. ivylore

Nov 5, 2000
    Hi everyone!

Finally, my belated update is here.

*Fights urge to keep tinkering and editing.*

Now I can go play with Photoshop guilt-free for the rest of the day! :)

~Chapter 6~

[/blockquote]

[blockquote]

The ride from Trade City to Kahlis, the next major city port, was interminable and a lesson in endurance. Han spent the duration staring out the window, plunged into a deep gloom. Leia was certain that the journey through the Bonadan hinterlands had been committed to Han?s memory for a lifetime. Either that or he just hadn?t been [i]seeing[/i]. When she wasn?t watching the Pho Ph?eahians at their animated prayer, or trying to doze, she?d studied the hands plaited together on his knees. Each was corded like the smooth ridges of a hydenock trees in summer when it shed its outer bark. They were capable of so much and yet they could not restore life. They could not go back in time and she sensed that more than anything, he was wishing that he could.

She did not ask him why. Nor did she question his reasons for fleeing Trade City. Having learned over the past several years that a vibe from Han, or a ?gut instinct? for that matter, was often as astute as Luke?s Force-intuition, it wouldn?t have occurred to her to quarrel or interrogate him. Additionally, she had not shaken the impending dread wrought by the vision outside the Alderaanian Embassy. The Force had the potential to curse her with sibylline powers; knowing now that she was more than an ordinary human woman, she could not ignore her apprehension.

They arrived in Kahlis long past dark, exhausted, dirty and disorientated. Han found a hotel catering to humans tucked away on a side street. (They received a few quizzical glances for their lack of belongings. Han explained to the concierge that their luggage had been seized on the streets of Trade City by a marauding band of G?nooks with blue domes and could he let him know if he ran across them.) The generic room was clean and contained only the barest essentials; bed, nightstand, fold-up table and tiny fresher. It would do.

Famished and faintly travelsick from the extreme swaying of the gravsled train, Leia promptly ordered two of the daily special from the adjoining restaurant. An automated delivery droid delivered the meals a short time later, reciting gratuity charges when she insisted on paying with cold credits-voucher - apparently, virtually every menial service in the Sector that was performed by droids. The food was a surprisingly tasty stew made of nerf meat and vegetables, seasoned with an aromatic blend of common herbs that she couldn?t identify but knew she?d eaten before. She sat on the bed alone with the thermal container, devouring it so quickly that she scalded the roof of her mouth.

Han?s dinner remained on the chipped nightstand, for he insisted he wasn?t hungry. Instead, he reclined in the scooped out window bench and grunted inarticulate replies at the spaceport maps strewn across his knees.

Han Solo had his battle scars; she just hadn?t seen them close up until now. More than that, his heart had a hundred corners with a thousand secrets and different pasts. Something terrible had been discovered today at the Direx?s head offices that he wasn?t telling her. She wanted to lend support and comfort, but she feared the words she often offered others at such times would sound banal and superficial, regrettably flimsy. The differences between her brother and lover were never more profound than when they grieved. Luke was so blessedly easy to comfort.

After washing up and discarding the waste, she went over to him and slipped her hand into his in a gesture of supplication ?Tell me,? she said because Luke always said that.

Han jerked his head from side to side angrily.

?Please-? she began to say.

?It?s not that he died ? it?s [i]how[/i].?

[i]Doc[/i]. She held her breath, relieved, hoping that he?d keep going and wouldn?t shut her out.

?Doc was decent people,? he mutte

9. calgary

Jan 3, 2004
    :0 ?You?re not the one they?re after this time" Grr Ivy, you're cooking up a nasy brew (although I thought it really stupid for them to think they were stepping into another taxi.)

Now it will be a harder wait for the next post. :(

10. GreatOne

May 22, 2003
    Ack! Ack! ACK!!!!! :eek: :eek: Things are NOT looking good, no... not at all!! ACK!!!!! And here I was just worrying about their arguing earlier in the chapter... and now THIS! ACK!! :eek:

Type fast!!! Need next chapter, very quickly!

11. starsailor721

starsailor721 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2004
    The food was a surprisingly tasty stew made of nerf meat and vegetables, seasoned with an aromatic blend of common herbs that she couldn?t identify but knew she?d eaten before.

Is that from The Princess and The Nerfherder? :)

Your a really talented writer. I love this sentence:

Leia was content to lay still and watch the patterns moving across the walls and wondering why the quiet dream beyond which she could imagine there were no horrors, no shame, no planets destroyed, no friends passing before their time, never, never lasted.

It is very bittersweet and powerful. Anyways, great post!

12. A-Windsor

A-Windsor Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! More soon! PLEASE!

A. Windsor

13. QueenOfAces

QueenOfAces Jedi Master star 2

Jun 10, 2003
    ivylore: You certainly don't make it easy on our heroes, do you? At least they love each other in this one (most of the time, anyway). Your writing style is gorgeous...all that editing paid off. Great work and I look forward to next time. :)

14. GreatOne

May 22, 2003
    Upping this!! :D

15. calgary

Jan 3, 2004
    You are an elegant writer. (Just don't let this go to your head ) :)

16. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Han vaulted to his feet, sucking air in through his nose fiercely. He said, near to accusingly, ?Does it actually work when you tell yourself that? Cause it sure as hell isn?t working now.?

I liked this part. Han's always so easygoing, it was nice to see him show emotion and frustration.

?It was my master plan. Shock whoever was breaking in into staring so that I could slam this down on their head and concuss them. What do you think??

LOL!

?There?s one already here.?

?That was fast,? he muttered, with something akin to disbelief.

Nooo!!

?Now take a deep breath Captain Solo. Take a deep breath and go to sleep.? The Yaka?s next words sounded as though they were spoken underwater. ?You?re not the one they?re after this time.

That was an evil cliffie!

17. Solo_Fan

Solo_Fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Does this mean that they set Han up, knowing he would bring Leia, who is whom they wanted in the first place? Fabulous writing once again!!!!

18. merkuria

merkuria Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2004
    ?There?s one already here.?

?That was fast,? he muttered, with something akin to disbelief.

Ack! I knew that was bad news! And the plot thickens... where are you taking us, Ivy??

Great post, as usual! :)

19. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
    Waaah, evil cliffie! Han evidently never read Sherlock Holmes: Neither the first nor the second taxi that presents itself...

She wanted to lend support and comfort, but she feared the words she often offered others at such times would sound banal and superficial, regrettably flimsy. The differences between her brother and lover were never more profound than when they grieved. Luke was so blessedly easy to comfort.

Poor Leia. And I loved the little glimpse of the Luke/Leia twin relationship. I'm a sucker for it, as you know :D

Leia's master plan was classic. [face_laugh]. One little nitpick at that point:
    ?Of for the love of??

Shouldn't that be: "Oh for the love of..."?

Great post, now hurry up and write more so we can see how Han and Leia get out of this! :p

20. ivylore

Nov 5, 2000
    Hello and Happy Tuesday!

(Tomorrow is hump day and then it is the day before Friday and then it IS Friday!)

Calgary; I am evil. I was picturing NYC - where there's another cab ever ten feet. Being stranded on a repulsor platform in the midst of traffic, knocked senseless... Alas, few options did they have.

GreatOne; Things aren't looking good... nope, nope, nope. [evil cackle]

starsailor721; I had to go look up the 'Princess and the Nerfherder,' to see if I'd read it. I'm sure I have at some point. Did they eat the same thing? For some reason, whenever I think Star Wars comfort food, I think 'NERF.' Nerf stew. Nerf-burgers. Thanks for the kind words! That was actually my favourite sentence from the chapter too.

A-Windsor; I'm working on it. Unlike last week, (when I got photoshop and mocked my own words), I should be on time this weekend. [Unless I receive another fun, free computer program that I feel compelled to play with for five hours in a row.]

QueenOfAces; It's occurred to me that this thread isn't going to be very happy with me at some point soon. I'll have to 'post and dash.' This story accidentally got very dark - although it's not as dark as some profic out there - or maybe it will be because it's all at a more personal level, not watered down with so many POV's and characters. And thanks! Yes, editing saves me. Sometimes I think I edit more than I actually write (actually I do.)

Gina; I always picture Han being pretty emotionally combustible (and quick to get over it). And humour might not be one of my strengths, but I like to try to throw in a touch.

(Speaking of that, I was over reading GreatOne's 'Suprise!!! the other night and now all I can think is...

"It's amazing you managed to hire The Solar Flares to play!"

"It wasn't too hard," Leia commented dryly. "They haven't had a hit in twenty years. Their manager practically cried when I told him I wanted to hire them." ."
    )

Solo_Fan; You've got it! Now the only question is 'who?'.

Hints: I actually used both the Radio Dramas and Jude Watson to come up with 'who'.

Merkuria; Hi! I'm taking you somewhere dark and disturbing, I must confess.

SockofDarthvader;
    Neither the first nor the second taxi that presents itself...

Is that a Holmes line? I didn't know that! Oh, the irony... I love twin stuff too - just as much of a sucker as you are. Next to Han and Leia, it's my other favourite relationship to write about.

(Typo fixed. Thanks for the head's up.)

Then mystery will begin to clear next update...

Thanks to everyone stopping in to post.

Ivy

21. GreatOne

May 22, 2003
    ivylore - LOL! That was my favorite line in the last chapter too! We have a local festival called the Venetian Festival in my hometown in July, and the only acts they seem to get are oldies. This year they have Three Dog Night and Blue Oyster Cult!! [face_laugh] - (this is where I came up with The Solar Flares, and being able to easily book them) Now, I'm not saying TDN and BOC won't put on good shows, but I doubt it is too hard to book these acts, since they were popular when I was in HS! (now I am dating myself) :eek: Fortunately, this year they also managed to book my favorite Country/Rock bank, Trick Pony, so I am happy about that, anyway. Trick Pony at least has current hits to sing. :D

22. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
    Yes, that's a Holmes line; to Watson, when Moriarty was on their trail. :D

23. TiaRaye

Jun 3, 2003
    Ivy,

This fic is gonna get pretty dark? You mean darker than Renewal? Goodness, I think I'm afraid!

Excellent chapter, once again. I do agree that Han must have been a little disoriented to just jump into that "convenient" cab.

It's also interesting to see him pushing Leia away during his grief, and also by taking off in the middle of the night without a word. Obviously, he's used to doing things his own way. But he's also doing the same kinds of things that he gets angry at Leia for doing.

Now, It's not about Han. But is it about Leia or is the Bad Guy using him to lure someone else into a trap?

Maybe I'm over-thinking it. Can't wait 'til the next one!

Tia

24. GreatOne

May 22, 2003
  25. merkuria

merkuria Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2004
    And UP!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.