main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The "Revelation" Of Episode VIII?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, Dec 23, 2015.

?

What will be the revelation of Episode VIII?

1. Rey is Han and Leia's Daughter (Kylo's Sister) ?

13 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. Rey is Luke's daughter (Kylo's cousin)?

48 vote(s)
    34.8%
  3. Rey was created by the force (like Anakin)?

11 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Snoke is Darth Plagueis?

15 vote(s)
    10.9%
  5. Snoke is Darth Sidious?

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  6. Jar Jar Binks is the evil mastermind behind everything?

19 vote(s)
    13.8%
  7. Something else?

31 vote(s)
    22.5%
  1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I'm not frustrated, but sickened. A slight but important difference.

Plagueis has long been thought of by his supporters to be a good narrative choice when the truth is absolutely the opposite. The limited logic deployed usually only focuses on the structural upshot of tying the trilogies together -- completely ignoring that Kylo's reverence for Vader already does this much better and more dramatically. And sometimes people think like you, for some unstated reason, that only the Emperor's master can be more powerful than him. Why? And if that were true, then how could Palpatine so easily kill him in his sleep? That has got to be one of the most humiliating ways for a villain, or anyone, to be killed.

For whatever upshot one can imagine, overall Plagueis is much more destructive for the Saga. Him surviving Palpatine's attack only makes Palpatine look incompetent, and his survival logically contradicts what we know about him: that he could save others but not himself. There is never any power of resurrection imputed to him. He has the power of longevity, not immortality, an important distinction lost on most Plagueis fans. Oh yes, and Plagueis surviving also reduces Anakin's victory of destroying the Sith.

And then of course there are the Plagueis supporters themselves who are hard to respect or have an enjoyable conversation with usually because they are willfully deaf to anything that contradicts their theory.

Skywalker2B and ColdLazarou like this.
  2. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I agree. The villain of the 3rd trilogy needs to be more powerful than all those who came before. There needs to be an evolution of power, not a cycle. If Palpy could kill Plagueis so easily in his sleep, than the drama and danger of making Snoke-Plagueis the final villain is weakened. We - the audience - already know how he can be defeated. We know he was stopped once, and thus the heroes could do it again. It doesn't matter if there's some secret sauce - ohhh Plagueis figured out how to cheat death, etc. etc. It still reads as Plagueis was weaker than Palpy, and Palpy, in the end, was weaker than Vader.

I think the audience, as well as for Kylo and the heroes, we need to respect a greater danger. Right now Kylo respects Vader. In order for Snoke to train Kylo, he really needs to be more powerful than anyone we've seen thus far.

And remember, Plagueis wanted to cheat death. That was a power that Anakin desired. It was a part of his seduction. So Plagues was told to Anakin because they shared a desire for the same over. That same power, isn't something that Kylo seems all that interested in. So what...does Snoke tell Kylo...I'm actually Plagues and I figured out how to cheat death. Kylo's desire for power hasn't rested on that skill. So there's really no connection there for that character. It has to be something else. Grander. Kylo seeks to be better than all those around him. He seeks a heritage that belongs to him and was ignored.

It could be interesting if Snoke - when revealing who he really is to Kylo/Rey/the Audience - mockingly describes those who have come before him.

Snoke:
    Oh, the Sith you say? [He mockingly laughs, which then continues into a dry cough] Limited by their dogma. Plagues the "Wisssseeee". Sideous the Seducer. Even Vader. Weak. All were blind to the truth though. They all received their power through meeeeee. I have been here before the Jedi learned of the Force. I have been here before those who broke away towards the darkness. I've been here all along. I am the dark side.

Dra--- likes this.
  3. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Yeah, that's a great post. The only part I disagree with slightly is that Snoke would be good if he were more dangerous somehow, not necessarily more powerful. His beliefs and ideology might make him more dangerous and he doesn't really need some extra powerful Force power, although he might have that as well. But it's his belief system ultimately that should distinguish him from the Sith. If he's just older or more powerful and that's it, I'd be bored. That's a kind of video game logic. Even Marvel and DC usually give internal reasons for why villains are more external powerful.

I'm glad you agree that Plagueis carries too many problems with him, and that it would be best to have Snoke be someone we aren't familiar with.

4. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005

I've always liked the idea of an extragalactic Force cult who view the Jedi and Sith as heretics and because the Jedi and Sith have influenced the galaxy for thousands of years, the taint of their false teachings can't be undone, so this Force cult decides to rid the galaxy of the Force by destroying all life, launching a vicious crusade to annihilate everything. That was the kind of story I was hoping for in the sequels instead of recycling old stories.

Of course, I and many fans are guilty of imagining what the sequels could be and when they turn out to be something else, it's easy to feel disappointed or feel as if the filmmakers don't "get" Star Wars or understand where it should go, which is silly because the filmmakers are just making the movies they want to see and hoping others want to see them too. But I would like to see something new. One idea I've thought about lately is that Rey's parents were agents of Snoke's and that Rey was supposed to be Snoke's apprentice but her parents hid her away, so Snoke went after the Skywalker offspring instead, though he still wants Rey.

There are a number of twists and turns that could be forthcoming in the next two films. I just hope they're interesting and logical.

Dra--- likes this.
  5. Blackjack Stud

Blackjack Stud Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2016
    I'm expecting that the big reveal at the end of VIII is going to be...yes...the return of Han Solo! It will turn out that Rey is in fact the daughter of Han and Leia, and that when she was very little there was a disturbance in the Force, and Luke tells Han and Leia that they must split Kylo and Rey up, as Luke and Leia were themselves split up For their own safety. They are the grandchildren of Anakin Skywalker and the future of the Empire lays upon seducing one of them to the Dark Side. So Rey, like Luke, is banished to a distant planet to grow up unaware of her lineage. Kylo is the one seduced to the Dark Side and he destroys Luke's Jedi training camp. Luke, as Obi Wan did for him has gone into hiding waiting for Rey to grow up. With Kylo seduced, she is the last hope of the Jedi. Han Solo inadvertently discovers her in VII and needs her to go off by herself to see and be trained by Luke. If he goes with her, the evil forces will follow. So he fakes his own death, such that Kylo and the Dark Forces think he is dead, Kylo has proved his Darkness, and they don't know about Rey. This also explains the Big Hug in VII between Leia and Rey as Leia knows they are mother and daughter. This also expains why Han reckelessly goes out on to the catwalk before his 'death scene' He was setting up his 'fake death' to protect his children. The Big Reveal at the end of VIII then is in the climactic scene, the return of Han to save Rey and Luke from the invading dark forces. "Why would you fake your own death?" a shocked Rey asks, "because I couldn't come with you and I had to protect Kylo...its what fathers do for their children...yes, I'm your father, he's your brother...and now we have to go save him!" THE END

6. Blackjack Stud

Dec 19, 2016
    Plus which, with a stand alone Han Solo movie coming, even as a flashback, they can't have the Han Solo character having died so abruptly in VII. It will make people sad seeing the flashback movie. So before that movie comes out, they have to have Han make his comeback and be back alive at the end of VIII. It only makes sense

7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Wait, seriously? Wouldn't the opportunity to see Han Solo alive again in his flashback movie be something to draw people to it, not something that makes them "too sad" to see it? Either way, Han's not coming back in VIII.

8. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Han Solo is very much dead I'm afraid. I don't see him being brought back to life. The reason they were able to talk Harrison Ford into reprising the role is because they promised him that Han Solo was going to die.

So that as they say, is that.

DaddlerTheDalek, Revanfan1 and Dra--- like this.
  9. Blackjack Stud

Dec 19, 2016
    they can always change their mind, I mean in Star Trek II they had to agree to let Spock die in order to get Leonard Nimoy to do the film, and then afterwards they got him to change his mind by letting him direct ST III. Maybe they talk Ford into coming back if Carrie Fisher can't do episode IX for health reasons. Nothing is ever set in stone

10. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    [face_laugh]

Yeah, Han faked that lightsaber through his abdomen. Let's ruin the best scene in TFA just because.

And: italics!

11. Blackjack Stud

Dec 19, 2016
    Han faked that lightsaber through his abdomen because double agent Kylo was in on it. It wasn't a real lightsaber strike. Kylo had to make his bones and Rey had to be protected. Besides they needed a dramatic scene at the end of VII You will notice that they did not recover his body at the end of VII and there was no funeral

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You are going to need to post something to back that up--other than Reddit or Tumblr links or YouTube videos--if you are going to repeatedly post that "Han is not dead" across multiple threads. We're not big on conspiracy theories around here.

What Girl likes this.
  13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

And he almost killed Finn to sell the deception? Or was Finn in on this too? :p

Dra--- and cerealbox like this.
  14. Blackjack Stud

Dec 19, 2016
    I'm not claiming Han is not dead as a spoiler, but just as speculation. this is a speculation item right? they are doing a Han movie, wouldn't a big return at the end of VIII set that up perfectly. so we can go explore Han's past in the new movie as a way of understanding his future, he has to have a future right?

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Speculation is fine but we normally expect something to back it up. When there are no rumors, comments from official sources, evidence from existing films, etc., we get into fan theories which go more into the fan fiction section than here. Or a "What would you like to see?" scenario, which is very different from stating unequivocally that "Kylo is a double agent and Han did not die".

Now that said, Maul was bisected and came back; it is not 100 percent out of the realm of possibility for Star Wars. But with Harrison Ford's age and his desire than Han die in ESB, I think we are dealing with odds that even Han Solo would need to pay attention to.

As far as the Han movie, no, Han does not need to be alive in Episode VIII for that movie to work, he's been a popular character since 1977; the idea of a young Han movie is to understand who he was before ANH.

DaddlerTheDalek and Dra--- like this.
  16. ColdLazarou

ColdLazarou Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    ...What?

Does knowing what happens to a character much later, chronologically, often spoil your viewing like this? Do you walk out of Nativity plays in tears because the kid in the manger is going to wind up nailed to a cross in 33 years?:confused:[face_dunno]

Dra--- likes this.
  17. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I feel depressed watching a movie about a character who already died onscreen. :(

18. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Sooner or later they will all bite the dust. They are human afterall. They can't live forever.

Dra--- likes this.
  19. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    The audience is supposed to feel sad when beloved characters have passed. However, if anyone is feeling depressed -- clinically depressed -- then they should consider visiting a therapist.

20. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    ...or watch Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure to lift their spirits.

Dra--- likes this.
  21. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Han was like a 70 year old non-FS human man (so even the "well he's an alien so maybe it works differently" explanation is out) who got impaled through the chest by a lightsaber, fell off a bridge into a chasm, and then like ten minutes later the planet that he was on exploded and turned into a sun.

He's dead, like totally dead. In fact it's like they went out of their way to make it crystal clear that he was dead by having him sustain THREE fatal blows in quick succession. If the saber didn't kill him, then the fall would have. And if he somehow survived that as well, he'd have been incinerated when the planet exploded.

cerealbox likes this.
  22. Blackjack Stud

Dec 19, 2016
    Even if it wasnt planned, now that Carrie Fisher has passed, I think they will re-write Episode IX to bring Ford back as Han Solo and give him her scenes. It is too much to have two of the original three star characters dead and I dont believe fans would stand for Leia being regenerated digitally like in Rogue One. The options are to get Harrison Ford to come back or give Mark Hamill too many scenes in IX with Luke suddenly without his two best friends. Ford must do IX in Fishers honor!

23. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    No they won't. It's much more likely that they'd just find a way to write Leia out of IX. Because you're just swapping one tragedy out for another if you do it the other way.

anakinfansince1983 and 11-4D like this.
  24. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Although IMO she remains part of the plot, in a smaller role in Ep 8, for all we know Leia might have been already written out of the story.

25. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I mean...Han didn't just get stabbed with a lightsaber. He fell to the core of SKB and then SKB blew up. His body is microscopic particles at this point. Barring a flashback scene, he's gone.