main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Rey Parentage Thread (with new poll; see notes on page 2447)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by poundpuppy29, Dec 20, 2015.

?

Rey is?

Poll closed Dec 25, 2017.
  1. Luke Skywalker's daughter

28.4%
  2. Han and Leia Solo's daughter

11.2%
  3. A Kenobi

11.6%
  4. A Palpatine

6.7%
  5. A clone (of who?)

0.7%
  6. Unrelated to any characters we know

34.7%
  7. Related to someone else we know (state who)

3.4%
  8. Other

3.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    So The Force is the greatest adoption agency in the history of everything or the best episode of "Long Lost Family"
    I hope it's the latter.

2. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    You're confusing The Force with the Mirror of Erised. Wrong franchise. ;)

3. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Rey got what she wanted but not the way she expected it or wanted it to happen - She'll later find out Kylo Ren is her brother, Han Solo was her father, and Leia's her mother. :)

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm not saying Luke Skywalker is her biological father. What I am saying is that he's the family she finds in the end and I think TFA makes it plain as day. Whether that's biological family or something else we'll have to wait and see.

5. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015

That is exactly what Maz Kanata told Rey in the movie. At least that was my own interpretation. The family that she has been waiting for is gone, but the new family that awaits her is in her future. Luke and the Jedi.

Perhaps I am wrong though.

6. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I think that's absolutely right. It's one reason why I think the two choices are between Rey Skywalker and Rey Random, with both working in different ways.

7. Jedi Master Scorpio

Oct 24, 2015
    For some reason though I have this nagging feeling that Rey's parents are not dead. Obviously this hinges on whether Luke ends up being her father. But if he isn't, perhaps Snoke is keeping them as prisoners.

Unlikely, but who knows?

Satipo likes this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yep. It's why personally the theories just don't work for me. I enjoy reading them but there's always something that just doesn't work. And I realized a while back that the thing that doesn't is the film itself. The film points to one person and one person alone. And it's not Han, not Kenobi and certainly not Palpatine. :p

9. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Sometimes when I'm lonely and desperate to sleep I think about pizza (maybe Rey thinks about it too)

10. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Maybe kebabs? Do you think Rey was hanging out for a good lamb kebab with chilli and tzadziki sauce?

(It's lunchtime here in Australia. Decision made.)

Artoo-Dion and Jedi Jessy like this.
  11. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    You contradict yourself, my friend. :p

Leias_Left_Bun and iluvkoalas like this.
  12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Not really. There's more to family than blood. Her family may be her biological family or it may not be. But it will still be her family.

13. Jedi Master Scorpio

Oct 24, 2015

Just for example purposes, Anakin, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka were family and not blood related at all.

So I agree with Darth Chiznuk.

Satipo and vncredleader like this.
  14. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    No, not quite. Rey rejected several opportunities to have a spiritual "family" because she wanted to reunite with her biological one. And until she does, her arc will be incomplete.
    That may be true in a philosophical sense, but that's not how LFL chose to frame/market the ST.

2Cleva, iluvkoalas and AhsokaSolo like this.
  15. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Thats probably not the best example...all things considered.

PCCViking and starocean90 like this.
  16. Jedi Master Scorpio

Oct 24, 2015

Why is that? That was the depiction that I got from TCW Series. Am I missing something?

17. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Yeah if you only count TCW, then sure.

starocean90 likes this.
  18. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i guess the question is, if your family breaks does that mean it was never family to begin with? is the test of a true family one that can stay together through thick and thin forever? or is that an ideal?

19. Darth Marth

Darth Marth Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2016
    I think they've written themselves into a corner, honestly. At this point, it can't be Luke and be a surprise, but it can't be anyone besides Luke and still be a satisfying answer.

At least before TFA we had Luke vs. Han and Leia.

MJ-100 likes this.
  20. jdTde33

jdTde33 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 28, 2016
    Even if Luke is the father, I think it's still possible they could do a surprise with the mother character. Rey Skywalker may be the safest and most obvious, but I certainly don't think it would be boring or anticlimactic in any way.

21. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think if she is unrelated, some variation of this is a strong possibility. Her parents went into the Beyond and were lost or trapped there. Why and how could then be a major part of 9.

oncafar likes this.
  22. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I don't think it needs to be a surprise, honestly. It just needs to be satisfying.

But I kind of agree with you. I think Abrams got into a bit of difficulty and RJ came up with a creative, unexpected solution that was still satisfying. And then Abrams adapted the flashback around that solution, including the moment where Rey is abandoned. I think Abrams was going to go for Rey Related, and it wasn't working, so RJ suggested a Random solution.

23. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Meeting Luke might also be the first step on the road to being reunited with her biological family (if she is not Rey Skywalker - there is something in the fact that you have the search for Luke being Rey's search for a missing father too).

I don't think you need a surprise for something to be satisfying (see Game of Thrones/ Westworld/ Potter where many fans worked out where the plot was going well in advance) and I don't think it's at all the case that only Rey Related can be satisfying -of people are willing to keep an open-mind and judge such a story once they've finished telling it.

24. Darth Geezy

Darth Geezy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    Sorry, looks like I clicked the wrong reply button initially. Sorry about that!

25. Darth Geezy

Darth Geezy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    JJ is quoted as saying that they purposely removed "the reveal" out of this film so that Rian could do it. If it is Rey Random, does this really qualify as a "reveal?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.