main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Rey Parentage Thread (with new poll; see notes on page 2447)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by poundpuppy29, Dec 20, 2015.

?

Rey is?

Poll closed Dec 25, 2017.
  1. Luke Skywalker's daughter

28.4%
  2. Han and Leia Solo's daughter

11.2%
  3. A Kenobi

11.6%
  4. A Palpatine

6.7%
  5. A clone (of who?)

0.7%
  6. Unrelated to any characters we know

34.7%
  7. Related to someone else we know (state who)

3.4%
  8. Other

3.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It doesn't have to be "anti-prequel rhetoric" to rub people the wrong way and go against those forum rules. It could also be "anti-Disney rhetoric", which essentially is the stuff where people make false or unsubstantiated claims that Disney hates the PT and wants to keep the new movies far away from it.

2. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    Mod edit: Removed - off-topic.

3. BloodStripe

BloodStripe Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 16, 1999

Also, JJ Abrams had nothing to do with the plot development in question. He was neither writer nor showrunner for LOST at that time.

oncafar likes this.
  4. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
  5. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015

But its not a plot development, its a character aspect, and those happen long before they are put into the plot. It was pretty well known on the Internet that from hints in earlier episodes in previous seasons that Jack and Claire were likely sister and brother years before it was finally revealed in season 6. Its not out of the question for them to have the linkage planned long before that.. and regardless, JJ almost certainly would have had to sign off on it as EP.

6. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    do we really know exactly how much pre-planning was done in lost, how many decisions were changed, how many fingers in the pot, etc. because from my impressions watching it, it became increasingly unwieldy as the seasons went on, unable to fully hold all its plot pieces together...

7. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Why does it need to be a surprise? I've never really understood this. As I said, the shock or surprise lasts for about a minute, while profoundly satisfying lasts for years. I will take profoundly satisfying over a surprise any time! Plus, I'm sure there will be other surprises in the films, maybe even including Rey 's mom.

DARTH MUPPET, starocean90 and 2Cleva like this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    To be honest I also don't think they're going for any kind of shocking revelation. I think it'll be more matter of fact like the reveal of Kylo Ren.

9. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I have a feeling that Rey's hair is related to her head.

10. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    how dare you spoil the movie? Don't you know you should have spoiler tagged that.:rolleyes:[face_not_talking]:p

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  11. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    Sydney Bristow:

...is when Alias begins. Just like Rey begins at age 19.

12. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i'll probably be kind of mad if luke was busy wiping rey's mind and then has to hold the keys to her memory... gross... the only thing that could make up for it would be if rey reacts in a way someone that violated would react, and that it's not over in just 10 minutes.

organasrey likes this.
  13. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002

Blame it on the movies.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I do. The movies were so unclear that people from multiple perspectives have all seen what they want to see in any evidence presented.

15. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    No, I followed Lost while it was on. Lindelof and Cuse made the creative calls. They told Abrams how it ended, but it wasn't controlled by him.

But none of this really reveals anything about TFA/TLJ. Even if Abrams had personally written the Jack and Claire connection, it wouldn't mean he would be repeating it in the ST.

BloodStripe likes this.
  16. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002

People can have multiple perspectives on whether the sky is blue or a glass is half empty. Art is always open to interpretation.

However - especially when the Kenobi angle is pursued. The evidence is weak and almost all of it better supports Skywalker.

organasrey likes this.
  17. spacebaby45678

spacebaby45678 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2016

Do tell[face_batting]

18. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016

Don't forget re:Sydney Bristow

No only was there the mother reveal, but she was also revealed to have a half sister.

19. IrisBest

IrisBest Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2015
    Lol well I guess we know who Abrams was basing Rey off of. Her basic character archetype, at least. The timing of the quote, late October 2013, is right before he and Kasdan began rewriting the TFA script too.

spacebaby45678 likes this.
  20. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    Ya I edited that in. They don't even have to cast anyone new here, they've already been cast.

21. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    MagnarTheGreat Nice catch! Of course, we don't know how much freedom J.J had when creating Rey, but the Alias parallel is interesting.

22. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    That was one of the worst plot developments in the whole series. It's almost like JJ had originally planned for Sydney to turn out to be Sloan's daughter but due to the chemistry between Garner and Garber, kept them as father and daughter (and they were terrific). Then added Nadia as Sloan's to compensate. That show started out so great then suuuucked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

23. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Sydney: girl who knows who her father is from the get-go, finds out mom isn't dead but is evil, learns of a half-sister later on.

How this suggests Rey Solo is anyone's guess.

Immortiss and Artoo-Dion like this.
  24. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    LOL, 1400 pages.
    1400 down, 600 to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

25. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.