main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Rey Parentage Thread (with new poll; see notes on page 2447)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by poundpuppy29, Dec 20, 2015.

?

Rey is?

Poll closed Dec 25, 2017.
  1. Luke Skywalker's daughter

28.4%
  2. Han and Leia Solo's daughter

11.2%
  3. A Kenobi

11.6%
  4. A Palpatine

6.7%
  5. A clone (of who?)

0.7%
  6. Unrelated to any characters we know

34.7%
  7. Related to someone else we know (state who)

3.4%
  8. Other

3.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I still believe Rey is primary. I just think Kylo is pretty close.

It’s got to be that way to work, thematically, imo.

Darth Gummybear likes this.
  2. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015

No problem.. IMO, they'll simply do it in 8, as was always planned :p.

And in no conception, do I believe both of the new primary kids were ever planned to be progeny of Leia. One or the other, absolutely, never both. Once they settled on Ben being her kid, the other lead in Rey could not be her kid. Once again.. this is the Solo Skywalker Saga. That takes watering the entire family tree, and not just one branch.

On the bright side, I would think Finn should end up being Leia's other kid(Rey's nephew) via Lando. It allows the Rey Solo tragedy of a Lost Kid to be used(which ultimately split the family), it ties in Bespin, and in general would send the fanbois who have tried Really, Really Hard to ignore that Lando was an active and critical part of the OT... into orbit.

3. Eeyore freak

Eeyore freak Jedi Knight star 2

May 19, 2016

[​IMG]

4. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
  5. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    They certainly could have come up with better Parentage poll options. :(

Props for not including yourself in that list. As per me, I don't really look at having an encyclopedic knowledge of everything about a GFFA or SW(nor do I think its needed). I simply focus on the ST, and movies that have come before it, when looking to theorize about Rey's parentage. Whats best imo, is not being emotional about the characters themselves and instead focusing on what is best for the story, and basing your theories on that.

Finn as her nephew, for example, would be highly controversial if they actually went that way... but imo its best for the story. He doesn't really have much other place he can feasibly fit within Rey's lineage, and really.. you don't want to just create primary characters in this type of story that don't tie in. From an economics of writing its quite wasteful and makes for lazy storytelling. Everything should have a use.

6. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    So Finn is only of use if he is related to the Skywalkers? Now, that's lazy storytelling.

7. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Hopeless likes this.
  8. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    See, I think the "I am your father" reveal has spoiled some fans.

We have Luke, Leia and Kylo as Skywalkers in this trilogy. And I'm still fond of the idea that Rey is a Skywalker too, although I'm now also open to the idea of her being a random.

But I don't think we need anything beyond that. To make Finn also part of that lineage (or related to Kenobi, Calrissian or Windu) is overkill.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

Darth Smurf and Darth Gummybear like this.
  9. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I'd rather see him related to some side character like Panaka.
    He could have been taken from his parents as sanction against the family because of supporting the resistance

10. Darth Gummybear

Darth Gummybear Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2016
    IMO, Finn does not need to be a Skywalker to tie into the story and I do not think he will be one.

However, I am curious, who would be Finn's hypothetical parent/Rey's sibling in your scenario?

11. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Unfortunately the flaw with that approach is that everyone has their own ideas as to what makes for the best story.

I'm not even 100% confident that we will get the best story they could tell, though naturally I hope we do, therefore I try not to let those thoughts influence me on whom her parents are.

The only criterion on which I base my thoughts on the subject and any conclusions I draw is the evidence, nothing else. :)

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  12. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    I was looking up tonight to see if there were any meanings between different hugs to define Leia and Rey's embrace in TFA and I believe I found it. You watch that scene and see that in the wide-shot, all the Resistance pilots, mechanics etc are all of to the left side leaving Leia and Rey to themselves, the emotion on Rey's face, the way Leia closes her eyes and snuggles into Rey's neck. This embrace is apparently called the Deadlock hug and it's described as:

"The Deadlock is a body-crushing hug that almost borders on a fear of letting go. In this hug, both people intertwine themselves as tightly as they possibly can, squeezing out every last drop of air separating them.
    This position is about deep commitment and not wanting to be apart. Author Caroll Bryant writes, “Love should feel like a hand sewn quilt made by grandma, wrapping you up on a cold winter morning.”
    By wrapping each other up in this way, you fear that letting the other person out of your embrace will somehow mean they will leave."

13. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I’m still hoping Luke’s the dad.

Evidence-based? Glad to see a kindred spirit.

Isn’t Skywalker one word, or is the title a pun?

CairnsTony likes this.
  14. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Wait... so Finn has to be related to Rey to "have a use?"

LOL. That is so, so....... <ahem>. I sincerely disagree with that conclusion.

15. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    If you're referring to the story title in my signature it's meant to be two words. Explaining why however would be a massive spoiler should you ever decide to read it. ;)

In the original script Leia also cradled Rey's face in her hands. The script also stated that Leia knew who Rey was. :)

16. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Original script is first draft, not final draft?

17. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    It was in the shooting script. As with many things however, what we ended up getting was changed slightly. :)

18. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    In the shooting script? Link?

19. Oryx-I

Oryx-I Force Ghost star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    If the script stated that Leia knew who Rey was, it probably only means that she guessed it was the girl Han and Finn told her about, don't you think ?

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  20. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    It's been long established that the script leaked online briefly before being taken down. I also protect my sources. :)

21. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    I think if that's true it would be hilarious!
    Mace's talent was called Shatterpoint allowing him to sense the weakness in others, it doesn't stretch much if Finn is unconsciously using the same talent to block mental attacks.
    Just have this very funny image of Snoke thinking she's Rey Palpatine when she's actually a Kenobi!
    What are the odds that "spoiler" is true?

22. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Its possible, depends on how it was worded.

23. MingLives

MingLives Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    I am fairly sure that a good story and possibilities for the future will take precedence over what makes most "sense" looking at the past.

Therefore using existing movies to try and extrapolate the most "logical" story is an exercise in futility.

24. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    RJ has said that he went by what he felt made the most sense for the characters.

Now of course he’s referring to his own subjective assessment. But that assessment was still apparently forefront in his mind.

I don’t see why RJ would take characters in directions he himself didn’t think made the most sense...

25. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Well when what makes the best story is so subjective, evidence and educated guesses is what we have to go on.

CairnsTony likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.