main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Rey Parentage Thread (with new poll; see notes on page 2447)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by poundpuppy29, Dec 20, 2015.

?

Rey is?

Poll closed Dec 25, 2017.
  1. Luke Skywalker's daughter

28.4%
  2. Han and Leia Solo's daughter

11.2%
  3. A Kenobi

11.6%
  4. A Palpatine

6.7%
  5. A clone (of who?)

0.7%
  6. Unrelated to any characters we know

34.7%
  7. Related to someone else we know (state who)

3.4%
  8. Other

3.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue Seven

Rogue Seven Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    My comment was couched in the fact that anyone who says stuff like "JJ is crap because Lost ended poorly!"...is talking out of their own ***.

If you didn't know that Lindelof was show runner/head writer...I get that...but those who then also moan about JJ with regards to the ending of the show.....that would be speaking on something they don't know about at all and asserting themselves about it to boot.

Put it this way, it would be like someone not liking Alien3 and then going on Twitter to say "Ridley Scott sucks because Alien3 sucked". It's entirely tone-deaf and incorrect.

jaqen and Myself656 like this.
  2. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Luke: Rey your parents are rando's who are dead.

Audience: I hate this but...TAKE THAT REY SKYWALKER FANS!!! BOOYA!!!

3. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    There has already been a lot of people saying that they don't expect a satisfying ending to the mystery because JJ screwed up the end of Lost and so doesn't know how to end stories.

The Regular Mustache and 2Cleva like this.
  4. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Exactly. I have seen people on this very site say that.

5. What Girl

What Girl Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I wonder how Rey's parentage will be revealed, especially if she is not related. I mean, will she somehow figure it out on her own while on Ahch-To, or will somebody tell her? I don't know how Luke would know, unless the circumstances of her abandonment on Jakku mean something to him.

If her parents were ex-Imperials, for instance, perhaps he knew of a colony in hiding on Jakku that fled into the Beyond when they got discovered, and the timing might match with her abandonment. I imagine that their identities could be narrowed down from there.

Myself656, JoJoPenelli and Ben-Solo like this.
  6. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    This one was perfectly setup to follow with the Lando "He Mad" but I am a man of peace. [:D]

[​IMG]

Regardless of lineage, my guesses are Luke, Snoke or most likely the Force itself tells Rey - triggered during Force training or torture.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  7. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    Ok, great. But it's not going to stop people from saying it. Unless you have the goal of educating everyone everywhere on the truth of JJ-Lindelof showrunning. JJ's shows do have the reputation for building up hype or making a mess out of storylines and never giving a proper/satisfying answer - regardless of who is actually doing the showrunning and writing at the end. People will still rip on JJ if Rey's mystery parentage is comparable to the mess of the Grimbaldi prophecy. Although I highly doubt it.

Shadao and The Regular Mustache like this.
  8. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    I must say, most of the threads on this board have gotten over-the-top or tiresome. I guess we can fault the lack of spoilers for people treading over the same ground again and again, and essentially beating an already beaten dead horse.

All we can definitively say about Rey at this point is that she is a Skywalker, Solo, Kenobi, or is a child of the force, clone, reincarnation, or some other similar special force type person. I don't think there's any chance her parents are simply randos, and there will be no strong reason for her being so powerful. That is the least likely outcome, and probably the only one we can rule out at this point.

9. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm guessing when Snoke is torturing her, after he gives the "fulfill your destiny" line it'll trigger a flashback and she'll learn who her parents are and she'll use the Force to free herself from Snoke's hold and escape.

10. HispAnakin

HispAnakin Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 16, 2017

[​IMG]

Darth Smurf and JoJoPenelli like this.
  11. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    [​IMG]

Screeshotting some posts for when y'all pull the "I just want a good story" BS

12. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  13. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    (For the sake of argument...)

It’s *possible* Rey could learn of it while not on Achoo. If she did learn of it on Achoo, there are always Forcebacks, tho they’d have to be done in a manner that required no external commentary if they were unconnected to Luke, I think?

My view, assuming Rey Unrelated, is that Rey’s parents would *not* be “bad guys,” because Daisy used the word “moving” when she mentioned it in that Japanese interview. (I also saw it translated as “touching.”) I also think it would be more emotional for Rey and the audience if they end up being wonderful people who loved Rey dearly.

What I can’t imagine is how Rey’s journey will change based on that information. Really hard to speculate on that considering what little we know of the plot, of course :p Daisy said something about Rey realizing the identity of her parents didn’t matter much, tho...

As I often do, I’m having a failure of imagination...I don’t really enjoy having a difficult time picturing alternatives.

ETA: littlepadawan91

Honestly, from what I’ve read on this thread since April, I wouldn’t expect to see much weeping and wailing here if Rey ends up being Luke’s daughter, if the story is terrific. Disappointment, sure. But not ranting and raving.

14. BB-8

BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 1, 2015
    Snoke seems to have at least a pretty good idea of who she is. The torture scene looks to be very much a "I know what you're made of, now show me!" moment.

15. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002

Oh - I know some don't like my style at all. But no one can rationally deny I've failed to make convincing, factual arguments for or against theory of the day. In fact - many just run from it.

Case in point yesterday - someone provided a point by point breakdown of why Rey Skywalker wasn't possible. I replied in depth, with movie references and director quotes and got likes and agreements but only crickets from the originator and those who are against Rey Skywalker.

In fact - I ask again a fundamental question about Luke in TLJ. Maybe you can answer it.

Luke - despite being a focal plot device throughout TFA, didn't say a single word in the movie. We know he's a focal point (in person this time) of TLJ and that he will mentor Rey. We also know that Disney have story leaks on lockdown. If Luke isn't Rey's father - why would Disney/Lucasfilm agree to have his entire storyline already known to the GA in advance of the movie release when nothing else is known or confirmed? Why would that be it for Luke?

Logic says that there is something else to the story bigger than just Luke training Rey. Him being the father is the logical fit. So those who don't see Rey Skywalker - how do you rationalize that?

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  16. Rogue Seven

Sep 6, 2017
    And what...with the real accurate information available to you now, does/should THAT tell you?

That people are talking out of their ***'s because they are angry, blaming a man who had NOTHING to do with the end of Lost for the end of Lost?

Yeah, I guess that proves my point. Some people are hellbent on raging...before they have the correct information on why/how to rage.

17. What Girl

What Girl Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I always assumed that Rey had loving parents, regardless of what faction they're from. And it's been my thought from the beginning that they'd sacrificed themselves for her, perhaps by leading an enemy away. Think of how some animal parents will pretend to be injured so that a predator will follow them, distracting it from the hidden nest of eggs/young. I have no trouble believing Daisy when she says that the reveal will be touching/moving.

Myself656 and Rogue Seven like this.
  18. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I think we haven't seen much Luke footage because most of his scenes are of him listening to Force Ghost Kenobi giving a very long winded explanation for why he never told Luke that he had a secret kid who had the Force who sat out the OT (because reasons), and eventually met a woman, had a baby, (Rey) who he somehow lost track of and then died with his wife.

19. Rogue Seven

Sep 6, 2017
    Spot on. I agree.

Myself656, Ben-Solo and What Girl like this.
  20. BB-8

BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 1, 2015
    I'd wager that Rey's parentage is not the only twist in the movie. In fact, it may likely not be a significant twist in the plot, or not really a twist at all. I do think there will be twists regarding Luke, but not necessarily related to him having offspring. Rather, I think he's got some tricks up his sleeve that he's having to play extremely close to the chest. I have a feeling that Luke and Rey are going to have a serious misunderstanding regarding that, and that she's going to make some dangerously wrong assumptions.

21. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    The Father in Mortis said that with too much Dark or Light, life as we know it can't exist. Balance IMO is between the Dark and Light side of the Force. The Sith cause imbalance because they want to use the dark side in fulfillment of all of their desires, to cheat basically. They are not part of the natural balance in that they attempt to corrupt it so that they can have it all. For a while maybe the Force was in balance still in the early days of the Sith, but I think they've been amassing power over generations (and amassing power for them means pushing the Force towards the dark side - as the more out of balance it is towards the dark, the more power they have).

So with the Sith (and other corrosive darksiders) a pattern of destruction ensues. When they are strongest they have their planet-killer weapons and regimes that spread suffering and destruction and the like. If they are not ruling directly they are causing corruption through other means (in the Plagueis novel, he was doing it through businesses). The more corruption they create, the stronger the dark side gets. The balance is in all individuals as well, so if 65% of GFFA people are corrupt or criminals who cheat others, the dark side may very well be in power and the Force unbalanced. I don't think you can make it a numbers game though.

The point is that the Dark Side is sought by those who desire power and they get caught in the cycle of always wanting more power. So eventually they have to try to unbalance the Force in order to gain more power and this is just inevitable. This is why the Dark Side is like a cancer.

These people are kept in balance when the "forces of Light" stop them.

I think the Force was in balance because Snoke wasn't doing anything to unbalance it (he was lurking in wait) at the end of ROTJ. The Emperor (the main force of corruption that the dark was concentrated in) was destroyed and so was Darth Vader. All that is left is Luke and he's not going to unbalance the Force. So I think at first the Force felt balanced. But then Snoke began *doing* things that tipped it out of balance again. One of those things was corrupting Ben Solo, but he also became the head of the remnants of the Empire, and I am not sure what else he's been up to. The FO is of course a force for the dark side. Spreading corruption, destruction and suffering will tip the balance towards the dark, and in the Plagueis novel I remember that Plagueis and Sidious also had their intensive meditation sessions which they were using to strengthen the dark side (they believed it was working). An ecosystem out of balance with all predators who have eaten all the prey and now fight each other would IMO be out of balance (on the dark side). Human society today IRL would be on the dark side too IMO due to the destructive average of human behavior as humanity destroys nature (life on Earth) and causes the 6th mass extinction. Why does humanity do this? Humans are driven by their desires--they want more and more and more--and the human race is willing to undermine life on earth in fulfillment of greed.

I think that Snoke is worse than Sidious because he understands more about the Force. He knows how to use the light side to serve the dark I imagine. I don't believe Sidious understood the light side well enough to really twist it the way Snoke maybe can. I really don't know what Snoke wants but yes I too suspect he wants the light side to play a part in his evil agenda, and that part will not be good. I think that the balance may rely on Rey and Kylo as I currently see them as these twin manifestations of the Force (light and dark) and whatever they work out between them will be significant.

I don't have thoughts on the rest of your post other than that I never thought the Chosen One prophesy was the be-all and end-all of things. I think the Force is "so much bigger" than that and it *always* will be. If you explain it all in the stories, the story is finished. The interplay between light and dark is the story. It's always the story. So if that is permanently resolved there's no point in telling a story. For this reason I don't expect them to ever fully explain any prophesy. They need to leave some mysteries so they don't kill their own story foundation.

22. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002

Ahh - someone stepped up to answer. =D=

Agreed Rey's parentage won't be the only twist/reveal. We'll see new Force powers used by Luke and Snoke at the least. I guess there could be some left field revelation around Luke besides he's the father but nothing in the existing plotlines hint to it.

We'll see soon.

23. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I don’t think the identity of Rey’s parents can be a “twist” at this point...a “reveal,” but not a twist.

Shadao and 2Cleva like this.
  24. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002

Completely different movie going audience in 2017 vs 1980.

25. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Are you saying your going to be throwing members opinions back in their face when whatever the outcome is, is revealed I'm sure the Moderators of this great forum may have some input on this EHT A Chorus of Disapproval

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.