main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RJ Trilogy The Rian Johnson Trilogy

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    not every 5 seconds though poe at the start was good, luke mocking rey was okay, but luke throwing his lightsaber off i didn't like. and snoke hitting rey with the lightsaber hmmmmmm

2. skybender

skybender Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2017
    I must have missed the attempts at humor everyone keeps talking about. The only part my theater laughed at was when Luke was telling Rey to reach out. Everything else had no reaction from me or anyone else. So it either wasn't that bad, or the jokes fell quite flat.

3. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Honestly the HUGGS stuff and Luke tossing the sabre were highlights for me. They were risky and well done scenes that really give a surprising and humorous moment. All those god damn hilarious, epic, fresh and thrilling scenes simply do not fit together somehow. I think RJ should have taken more time to find a way to put his really good ideas together. I would really advice him to better get a really experienced co-writer next time that does not interfere his creativity but who helps him putting all this stuff together in a logic and reasonable way.

4. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    So far we know little about what he plans to do. We do know its not about the skywalker legacy and none of the familiar charactes of the saga will appear. All new cast.

What do you feel, is the best path for Rian's trilogy to take?

How familiar or different should it be compared to the other films? Keep using Jedi? Or focus on another group instead? Be about a Galactic scale War or tone down the scale of warfare?

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Thread merged.

6. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    While Rian mentioned he isn't going to be remaking KoToR, I believe a movie set 1000+ years before TPM is the best solution to give him his own sandbox away from the post IX world. After all, their is far more to those ancient days then a storyline of a now non-canon game.

Disney will want to continue creating stories set after the First Order is defeated with a Reys new gang of Jedi in training. Having Rian's trilogy set so far in the past.....

1. Allows us to see a Galactic Scale war while giving Rey's time a break from large wars.
    2. Giving us darksiders such as the Sith while not ever bringing them back in the post-RoTJ period.
    3. Strong visual differences because of older tech/civilizations. Making the appearances unique from later anthologies set during Skywalker eras or any films set after IX.
    4. A "new" generation of Jedi heroes.
    5. A type of War that isn't based on Empire vs Rebels
    6. Large amounts of world building would be needed, improving the franchise.
    7. Could bring in the Mandalorians when they were once more powerful then their Saga period counterparts.

RKR likes this.
  7. rebelknight1

rebelknight1 Jedi Padawan

Dec 15, 2017
    Rian Johnson has demonstrated that not only does he not understand Star Wars, but he also is an inexperienced writer and director who is unable to deliver a polished coherent movie with an interesting plot the builds on what came before. I am truly saddened that he was given free reign over TLJ and hope he is removed from being at the helm of any future Star Wars works.

8. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Speaking of Mandalorians I'd love one of the leads to be one of them. I love Sabine is Rebels.

9. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    This trilogy is one of SW's biggest mysteries right now. Fascinating!

Krueger likes this.
  10. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015

Indeed. Re: the bold text, I've spent the last two years reading peoples theories and hopes for TLJ and good lord a lot of them we terrible so yeah the idea that RJ should taken fan feedback into consideration when making his trilogy would be a bad idea.

Regardless of when RJ's trilogy takes place I'm hoping it's not another Empire vs. Rebels plotline.

11. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    About WHEN the new trilogy should take place, I would look for something far away in the future. A time when Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker are distant legends, old characters from medieval-ages tales.

12. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    This. All of this. I wish there was a way to like a post twice.

13. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I have a (probably) unpopular opinion for the future o the franchise.

To me, “A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away” is more or less synonymous with “once upon a time.”

Once upon a time fictional events happened to fictional characters.

And that spiraled into a sprawling history of once particular galaxy covering thousands of years. Disney wipes the slate clean, but before they get too far filling it all out again with “canon,” I hope they scrap the entire concept of canon after Episode IX.

Nobody really cares whether Cinderella and Little Mermaid share a universe or which came first chronologically.

There are presumably other galaxies out there that existed a long time ago. The opening implies the existence of a story teller of some sort, existing in this universe and telling tales of far away events of another galaxy.

Rather than do the ancient Jedi vs Sith, or the fallout of the First Order, etc. I wish they would just openly embrace that story teller/mythical aspect of it.

They could easily set a trilogy in a whole new galaxy with zero returning planets, aliens or characters, and where Palpatine, Vader, Luke, etc never existed.

To develop a franchise similar to how Final Fantasy has things set up. Where the games and stories may have similar themes, concepts and aesthetics, but mostly not sharing any kind of continuity.

So things like hyperspace, blasters, aliens, exotic locales, and the Force may all exist.

And themes like legacy, coming of age, fighting evil might all come into play, but the story would have a 100% clean slate to work with.

Also, for spinoffs, I wish they would expand the Legends label to films themselves. Demand to see Anakin, Obi-Wan, Luke, Leia, Han, etc will eventually come back around when none of those actors will want to play them or may not be alive. I wouldn’t mind seeing directors having the freedom to recast these characters and tell stories with them that is not obligated to follow the continuity of the numbered saga films.

Maintain continuity between sequels obviously that occupy the same saga or trilogy, but allow for other sagas, trilogies, or standalone to occupy other continuities with the same characters or even all new galaxies entirely.

I hope the embrace the idea of these stories as being more mythological, not treating every single tale as falling inside of some historical volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    This is exactly what I want. All of the “set it during the Old Republic era!” suggestions are boring as hell to me and super limiting. Push Star Wars into the unknown future instead of using the movies to fill in details about the past; move it forward.

DarthKreVass, Alhazred and yanote like this.
  15. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Even though I know that Rian Johnson has a blank canvass for his trilogy I still assumed that the main protagonist would be a lightsaber wielding Force sensitive character. Now that I know RJ likes to subvert expectations maybe that won't be the case.

I know that worked for Rogue One but at the same time I really did miss the Jedi in Rogue One.

Alpha Cloudleaper likes this.
  16. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    yep, i really doubt they would make a whole SW trilogy without the force or lightsabers. Maybe it wouldnt be lightsabers but some variants, maybe the force people wont be called Jedi...but it will be about the force and force-users IMO. You can have a spin off without the force but it seems unlikely they'd go that road for a new saga.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  17. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I definitely do not know what to expect from Rian Johnson now. However, I want him to respect the central elements of Star Wars. Need Force users, lightsaber battles, good space battles, grand conflicts, good character development and growth. I am ok with any time period, but I think a future time period

18. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    Sounds just like The Last Jedi. Our future is in good hands//

19. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    Not quite [face_laugh]

kalzeth likes this.
  20. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    But hasn't it also been confirmed that this trilogy won't be saga films? Or am I imagining things?

21. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    well, one guy's lucky day is another guy's bad day.....one of us will be happy, the other disappointed. Art is here to challenge. Succeeds and Fails. Sometimes both at the same time. Don't worry, tables always turn//

22. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    Agree. I am willing to give Johnson a chance to execute his vision provided he has a blank canvas and it produces an authentic Star Wars feel.

23. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    but the problem is "what exactly is the SW feel?" TCW and Rebels, and all the Filoni stuff don't feel SW to me, more like an alternative timeline or total retcon of the saga. Maybe for you it IS Star Wars. The PT feels SW to me from time to time and at some other moments i have the feeling i'm watching something totally different. But the PT has its fans....So what is Star Wars? What's in George Lucas mind? he's always changing his mind and not in charge anymore anyway...

The truth is we all have different ideas of what a SW movie is. And it seems these ideas are vastly divergent from one guy to the next one. To me TLJ was 100% SW. risky and challenging like TESB was in its day (TESB is still the better movie IMO)

There will never be again a SW movie that pleases everybody. It's just impossible. I can only be glad that Rian Johnson made the Star Wars i've been dreaming to see for ages and that his and my "vision" match. I first saw the movies in the late 80s, as a 7/8 years old. Grew up on reading SW RPG books and some old Eu stuff (most of them were a mess, i really only enjoyed the Thrawn books. I didn't like all the Master Luke and his order stuff). Was heavily disappointed by the PT although i really did enjoy its "peplum" orientation and all the political stuff, the senate, the costumes of the senators, corsucant & all, hated all the CGI creatures though...never cared for the TV cartoons....i'm just one in a million of SW fans, and each one has a different approach to it, a different relation to it.a different reason to like or dislike these movies. I don't like the PT but at least Lucas had a vision, i give that to him (i even like some of his choices...but just "some" hehe). I think Johnson has that too, a vision, either you enjoy his choices or not.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    NOTE: Theres too much TLJ complaining going on in here. That is not at all the topic or purpose of this thread. It is solely to discuss the Rian Johnson Trilogy. I know we don't know anything about it right now but that's where the fun comes in. We have a blank canvas ourselves. What do you want to see (and I don't mean smartass remarks like "I want to see Rian Johnson fired")? Speculate away!

25. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    It will involve young people (not the Canto Bight kids specifically) and the Force, but it won't be about Jedi. It will probably take place on a backwater world more or less disconnected from Galactic civilization. The Force use will be limited to more "magical" aspects like telekinesis, precognition, and mind reading; maybe some light weather summoning. No lightsabers. No swordfights. No warrior aspect to the Force users at all.
    So basically something in the spirit of the Ewok movies with better special effects.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.