main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RJ Trilogy The Rian Johnson Trilogy

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    Funny, I mean...this is exactly how RJ said it went. [face_laugh]

11-4D and Darth Smurf like this.
  2. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I actually think this came up as an idea quite some time ago. I could be wrong, but I do know that another "trilogy" was being discussed internally before Celebration. So either there is another trilogy we haven't heard about yet, or that got canned, or this was already being floated as an idea way back in the year.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  3. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Yeaaah I think he’s downplaying that juuust a smidge. I don’t think you can just pitch a Trilogy and not have any idea of what it will be otherwise everyone would be getting trilogies. A spin off maybe but not a trilogy which will cost hundreds of millions to make.

The press release specifically said that it was away from the Skywalker Saga and unless that’s them just taking a blind guess it’s clear that Johnson actually has an idea about what he wants the trilogy to be about or do. I doubt he’s got characters, planets, motives etc but I feel that he’d need basically a 1 page concept to bring to the table for KK to consider if it’s a viable idea.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he, Pablo, Kiri and the rest of the story group have been brainstorming future project ideas that might end up in this trilogy in some form.

I could be wrong but if I am everyone should start lining up at Lucasfilm because everyone can get one without an idea of what it’ll be about. Personally I think KK would require A bit more scrutiny than a shoulder shrug and “it’d be great to do”.

MrElculver2424 likes this.
  4. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm wondering how this trilogy will do in the box office. Probably around the same or worse than Rogue One.

5. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Probably won't do as well as the current ST but yes probably around Rogue One levels.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It'll only make a dollar.

7. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I gotcha a dollar!

8. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Maybe less. It feels like half the Internet hates Rian Johnson

9. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Maybe. However you need to remember two things. 1. Many of the people who are raging about RJ now will still go see the movie (and likely many of them will see it OW). And 2. The Internet consists of about 1% of the Star Wars fan base (maybe not even that much).

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Mungo Baobab likes this.
  10. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I wouldn't go into exact numbers but I feel it is fair to say that a large portion, likely a significant majority of Star Wars fans do not go on internet forums, or interact with tumblr. I took my family to see TLJ (Their first viewing my third) and they loved it. None of them had been on forums discussing theories during the lead up to the films release, non of them leave online views about their expierence with the film. We talked about it after the film, they made it clear they enjoyed it and were looking forward to seeing more and that was it. Their money will spend just as well as that of a die-hard forum posting, video making fan.

11. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    What I like about the idea of a trilogy is that RJ won't have to adhere to the saga restrictions and what not. he can now become even bolder and create bigger and better. I thought he did a great job with TLJ. In fact, the force was at its best in this movie. I am really looking forward to this.

12. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Nah..... it's a minority making a helluva lot of noise.

13. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    It's way too early to guess what the success of RJ's trilogy could be. I'm just glad it's still in the pipeline if Lucasfilm's statement of yesterday is to be believed and that the internet's echo chamber is not dictating Lucasfilm/Disney's future plans.

Doesn't matter what some fans think of RJ's work, when his movie will be out, time will have passed, new stories, heroes, footage will have been introduced for this new saga, the whole ST will be done, several other SW films may have come out in-between, and if it looks cool it's gonna raise excitment from people, fans included (even if we'll have a couple of guys saying "looks good but it's from the guy that made the last jedi")

So...too early to tell. Between that, and the new saga "series" and the anthology films, it's quite difficult to guess how SW will be perceived in the next 10 years...over-saturation? maybe. New golden age? maybe. Good/great movies but less of a special event? maybe. the 10s and 20s as the great SW decades? maybe too...who knows....too many factors....

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Krueger and The Regular Mustache like this.
  14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I would like to see the third anthology film released in 2020 (Obi-Wan please), then a two to three year break. After that we can go into RJ's trilogy. I have to say; I think a break would be a good thing. As I've said before, SW isn't Marvel. They are two very different beasts, IMO.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    We have just posted a new rules and policy thread. Everyone should take a look:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...es-and-policies-thread-2018-edition.50048371/

This part in particular:

Make no mistake from here on out the staff here will be vigilant and absolutely unforgiving in its enforcement of this rule. Above all else these forums are meant to be a fun place to discuss Star Wars but for far too long they've been little more than a cesspool. No more. If you want to rant endlessly about how awful the films were or if you refuse to hear any kind of criticism about them I have only one thing to say... go get your own blog and post there. If you wish to engage in constructive conversation that remain respectful of one another then please stay. There is no middle ground. This is how it's going to be. To paraphrase a certain campaign slogan... We're Gonna Make the Forums Fun Again!

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    When it comes to these movies when do you guys think the first one will come out?

17. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    3 years away for the first Rian movie. Maybe 4 to the first Benioff movie.

18. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    Hope you're right! That schedule would have the break between Solo and IX as the longest wait we see for quite awhile, and I'm down for that!

Also, super excited for all of these things to happen. Just wish we had more Rebels to fill the road to IX void.

19. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    With Rebels ending soon they could always announce a new series starting mid next year. I’m sure they’ve got several animation projects in various stages of development. It could maybe tie into IX or be something separate.

I also believe Johnson’s first film will be out 2021.

Satipo likes this.
  20. KDC1972

KDC1972 Jedi Master star 1

Jan 7, 2005
    While I didn't particularly care for Rian Johnson's interpretation of characters we already knew or the direction he took TLJ from what TFA set up, I do think he can be successful creating an all new storyline. He isn't a no talent hack by any means.

He has no constraints, no existing background on characters since they are all new, no limitations in politics since it is taking place in a distant corner of the galaxy. He literally can go any direction he wants and it should be interesting, that kind of creative freedom should be pretty liberating for a writer and director. It isn't hard to imagine there were parts of the SW Galaxy that were so remote and distant they were barely touched by the Clone Wars or Civil War or even the Jedi-Sith War--that leaves a lot ripe for the picking.

I do want to see force users, I want to see space combat and I want defined good and bad guys...other than that surprise me.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I am sure there will be a force user. There has been one in every Star Wars movie.

22. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Do you think we’ll get an anthology movie after Ep. 9 and before the first RJ movie?

23. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    I’m in two minds. I think we will given we heard rumors a while back about Kenobi how in terms of potential writers/directors but on the other hand I think it would have been announced by now given that it’s only real free spot at this stage is 2020 roughly. So I don’t know.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  24. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Originally I thought Rians trilogy should revolve around either an ancient Jedi order or a future (long time jump) one set post ST. But with the news of more Star Wars films to come from the GoT duo, I would be fine for Rians trilogy to explore other force user groups. Perhaps their is a conflict that deals with the force in the unknown regions. Their could still be a small Jedi presence. If set during the clone wars or the years preceding it, we follow a Jedi (or two) sent on a mission from the council to the unknown regions. Or if set during the days of the Empire, a survivor of order 66 fleeing into the unknown. Rian could go with no Jedi, but I feel at least one Jedi should appear. To bring some familiarity to the audience and still allowing a light saber to be used. It can also give us the "fish out of water" scenario. A Jedi in different part of the galaxy then what he is used to. Possibility encountering force users quite different from his Jedi order.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    They need at least a force sensitive. Weather they be trained or not I have not decided. I would like it to be a Jedi though. A new threat would be very welcome and I think we will get just that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.