main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RJ Trilogy The Rian Johnson Trilogy

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Right? I mean, I'm not gonna see Solo. I'm not boycotting, I'm just not interested. But how cool is it that there are so many Star Wars movies on the slate that I can nonchalantly pass on one because it's not my cup of tea? To all the haters, just think - your ALL TIME FAVORITE Star Wars movie... might not even be out yet! The Last Jedi became my number one as I watched it. I can't get enough - and 10 years ago I had no idea it would even happen! I thought Rogue One was trash - but who cares? I can write it off as a movie I didn't like and still have tons of Star Wars! How anyone can gripe at a time like this is beyond me. If you genuinely haven't liked a SW movie since ROTJ, maybe it's time for you to step away for awhile.

Psycho Weiner and Satipo like this.
  2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Right, and I also prefer that kind of definition to the "Sentient magical force that decides who wins, seemingly arbitrarily". The Force as a force of nature rather than a Godlike thing.

3. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think it just naturally leads to less contrived storytelling, too, when it functions as a part of the fabric of the universe the films are set in rather than a deus ex macina that gets our heroes out of a pickle in the ninth hour.

4. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Don't forget, theres is like dozens of tv shows both live action and animated too coming on Disney streaming.

It's also a good time to be a pottermore and middle earth fan judging buy number of tv shows and movies to be announced.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  5. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I don't think any of the stories so far have made the force be anything like a godlike entity. Granted, the current story of the light rising to meet the darkness does ever so slightly move into that direction, but for the most part it is still what it was for the first six episodes. If you look at the story of the chosen one, it is not so much about "deciding who wins" but about cleansing itself from bad influence. If you view the force as something like nature, you have the light living in accordance with it while the darkside is twisting or spoiling it, with the chosen one merely being a method to adapt to the current circumstances and get rid of the harmful intrusion caused by excessive use of the darkside. In that way, the force reacting to rising darkness is more of a protective measure by a nature-like entity, than a godlike entity deciding who wins. Just like nature finding a way to return after a catastrophic event damaged or destroyed it locally.

6. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I see The Force as being like a very pro-active god. Like Greek gods moving clay figures about on Earth.

The movies are all about the right person placed into the story by unlikely circumstances. The first half of New Hope is all about moments of dumb luck that bring Luke into the story.

There seems to be two, perhaps conflicting, ideas happening. The Force is just energy to be tapped into, but it is also directing people. Moving people's hands at the right moment

7. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm not into all this force has a conscious stuff. It's an energy field that different sects tap into and the choices one makes determines the direction one goes. The jedi choose to preserve the force and only use the power when needed. The sith use the power to further their goals at the expense of disrupting the force's natural order. All this mumbo jumbo stuff about the living force and cosmic force and its consciousness is just tooooooooooooooooo........far out for my simple mind.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  8. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    If BB8 didn't roll near Rey's AT-AT, if Finn didn't decide to escape and walk into town just as Rey was there, if the Falcon wasn't there to be stolen, if Han Solo wasnt nearby to find them, if Luke hadn't hidden away and needed to be found.....

Either,
    a) Hey it's just movies and stuff happens, or,
    b) The Force likes a bit of drama and pushes people into dramatic events.

Satipo and Krueger like this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Or, it’s these run-ins that make a story.

If BB-8 didn’t roll by Rey’s AT-AT, there would have been no story. Or at least, no story with Rey in it.

Satipo and GregMcP like this.
  10. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Quite clearly the 'Will of the Force'. The Force needed the Light to confront the Dark so put all of these events into play.

Skillzwalker and Krueger like this.
  11. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    I see as the Force as nature itself, hence the repeated theme of societies that live in harmony with their environment, versus those that are technology driven. The Will of The Force being this galactic ecosystem constantly pushing in subtle ( and sometimes more overt ) ways towards harmony / balance, it's natural state.

On a cosmic scale, the balance between the forces of creation and destruction will ebb and flow, but always return to harmony. Which means that in the big picture, the struggles between the Jedi and the Sith are just a natural part of the process, and whatever the outcome of their fight, the Force will balance itself regardless.

Of course, at the human level, the pain and suffering caused by this battle is very real, and the struggle to achieve harmony, fleeting though it may be on the cosmic scale, is anything but insignificant.

12. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Anakin, Luke, Rey... none of them were Broom Boys. None of them showed Force abilities until they found themselves "chosen".

Maybe The Force is watching contenders, and then picks the right person at the right time, and they level up.

13. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    The ability is there, it just has to be awakened. Their thinking changes.

14. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    They did not know how to do the tricks but it would be obvious to another Force sensitive that they were strong in the Force.

15. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    In that context, the Force is just the will of the director. :p
    "Without midi-chlorians, life could not exist, and we would have no knowledge of the Director. They continually speak to us, telling us the will of the Director. When you learn to quiet your mind, you'll hear them speaking to you."
    Anakin could ride pods, bcs he could see things before they happened, including prophetic dreams. Is that not a Force ability?

Mungo Baobab likes this.
  16. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    According to legend, those that have heard such whispers speak of a hymn, a mantra:

"Faster. More intense."

17. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I always believed that the force was like the Hebrew god and it's an energy field that binds together. Jews like myself believe in god of mystic spirt and not of human form like what christians believe, or the trinity. So thats just my belief in the force, especially since Star wars does reference world war 2, the holocaust, and the like the jews being the most prescutted. around the world, the jedi being the most hated across the galaxy and killed by other evil groups before and during the rise of the empire.

18. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I agree, there were manifestations of force abilities with Anakin mentioned in the movie. They didn't show it, but mentioning it has the same effect.

I don't really see any reference to the Holocaust in Star Wars. Yes, the Jedi were hunted down, but they were hardly the most hated across the galaxy, on the contrary, they were hunted down by the top of the Empire, not hated by the people in general. That sounds more like getting rid of people who could threaten your power, either from the outside or from within, making it to me sound more like the aftermath of the French revolution or Stalin's purges.

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Anakin, Luke, and Rey were all able to use the Force without having been trained to control it... without even knowing what the Force was yet.
    The Will of the Force is a strange concept sometimes, but sometimes it's the most likely explanation in-universe. Like Luke crash landing on Dagobah right near Yoda. An entire planet, and he just ends up right near the guy he's supposed to find there.

20. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If so the Force needs to work on its timing. They gave Ben Solo a ten year lead over the light side counter weight they picked.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  21. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The light side of the force is always fashionably and mercifully late. Not like that evil dark side force, showing up way too early before you’ve even defrosted the hors d'oeuvres.

22. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Well, if the darkside is the negative influence, the light would rise later on for obvious reasons. You generally don't try to deal with an issue before the issue has been created yet.

I'd also say that the force isn't exactly working on the time-scales of a human mind. There is no immediate reaction to something. If something happens that needs to be dealt with, it doesn't matter if it takes a few decades, as long as it gets dealt with in the long-run.

Though if you think about it, Rey was around before Ben Solo had fallen. And as she said "something had always been there" (or something like that :p ).

23. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    I wonder if the Force now and again does the reverse Chosen One.

Things have gotten too comfortable and nice and kind of dull. So it throws in a troll to get everyone busy again.

Perhaps that was Ben/Kylo. Too much risk of the Galaxy living Happily Ever After. Can't have that.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  24. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    What about a "not chosen" one this time?

25. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    That wouldn't really fit with the sort of stuff that George Lucas has established. The lightside being strong is never an issue, because that follows the natural flow of the force.

Not that this couldn't in theory be something that happens, if someone comes up with such an idea and the people at Lucasfilm like it, but at this point I'd say it has next to no chance of happening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.