main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RJ Trilogy The Rian Johnson Trilogy

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    I just said that it's a possibility and that it has happened in the past when movies have not met the overall studio expectations for Disney. Creative differences is the polite term for firing people that tends to be used in Hollywood. I honestly have no idea what they are going to do TLJ did not meet expectations and the reception for Solo is abysmal. Now there is a chance that Disney won't do anything with regards to making changes in the studio if that's the case I wouldn't expect the see any films go into full production until 2020 unless they are sure to have a bonafide hit on their hands as they will wait to see how Episode IX is received by fans before committing any money in one direction or another. The studio wants to make the most money possible and they have invested 4 billion in LFL and are nowhere near making that back in profit and they are now taking what is estimated to be 50 - 80 million loss which is a rather large setback not to mention the costs incurred from hiring and firing Trank and Trevarrow. If Episode IX performs then I expect there to be no changes if Bob Iger decides to give LFL until IX if not it could be sooner. It's in the hands of the bean counters now and not the hands of the fans if anything happens it will be purely for business reasons.

2. Contreras1991

Contreras1991 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 18, 2017
    they were pretty happy with the last jedi it seems

https://ditm-twdc-us.storage.googleapis.com/q1-fy18-earnings-transcript-1.pdf

https://ditm-twdc-us.storage.googleapis.com/q1-fy18-earnings

3. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I'm not sure why Disney would fire the director who had the highest grossing film of 2017.

ewoksimon likes this.
  4. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    other posters have refuted the disc sales argument with links to articles that contradict what you are implying. people are still buying discs just go to any local US Walmart Discs are being sold and in multitudes most people I know don't even know how to use digital movies or do both, I do both.

it depends on when you go into the threads I am talking about when the movie first came out most on here liked it. give anything time and the negative comments seep in. how long do people who liked it really keep talking about it you eventually move on and talk about plot points, sequels, and future Star Wars films.

it is bad business practice or ethics to bow down to fans. I am all for making films for the fans but you don't hire or fire because the fans will it. anyone who runs a multi billion dollar corporation knows that.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  5. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    If Disney was so truly happy with RJ because of TLJ - one would think they would be getting his trilogy running.

However, because of reasons it will be a while.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/updates-on-wonder-woman-2-star-trek-discovery-and-mo-1826715231

Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
  6. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    Maybe for the same reason that they fired the Marvel Story group and decided to go a different direction with regards to Marvel after Age of Ultron which was the third highest grossing film of 2015 and grossed more money than the TLJ overall after that film Whedon, Pearlmutter and the whole story group including famous comic book people like Brian Michael Bendis were out after a movie that didn't perform up to their predictions and received a more mixed reception among fans than the Avengers. The studio did not like the diminishing returns of AOU and gave the reigns to Kevin Feige and decided he had a better vision for the MCU than those before him. I am not saying that they are going to do anything the point is that they have done it before in a very similar situation with the exception that the movie following AOU Ant - Man was profitable while Solo is a Loss. Now Disney may decide they want to continue or they may decide to change direction. If Episode IX does not perform to their expectations you can be sure that there will be a massive change in the direction of the Star Wars franchise following that film. I just can't see them committing to anything before they are sure how they are going to proceed in the future and that includes RJ trilogy, Benioff and Weiss's trilogy and the anthology films. I honestly don't expect to hear any movies announced at Celebration 2019 or at all this year. Maybe some pre-production but I think they are going to be very cautious going forward.

Serpico Jones likes this.
  7. Contreras1991

Apr 18, 2017
    i know that Rian said that he wanted to take a rest from star wars for a while ( to work in other projects) (this was before the premier of the last jedi ( i think that he said this when people asked him if he would direct episode IX, when Lucasfilm fired Trevor)

8. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    There were reports that he was never asked to direct IX I don't know where those where but they did come out a little to busy to find them at the moment but I could be mistaken.

9. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Disney aint Marvel and If what you say Is true about what Marvel did after Age Of Ultron that was stupid of Marvel to do IMHO Age Of Ultron was a really good movie. Are you sure the guys that left Marvel It wasn't Amicably?

10. Contreras1991

Apr 18, 2017
    http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-episode-9-rian-johnson/

He dismissed those questions in Japan, when there was speculations about him involved with episode IX

since March that they were saying that they will work very slowly on the trilogy, figuring out what this trilogy will be about

https://screenrant.com/rian-johnson-star-wars-trilogy-story-updates/

11. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    Disney and Marvel aren't specifically the same thing however at the end of the day Bob Iger the CEO of Disney makes the decisions with regards to LFL and Marvel. You can look for the reports that are out there I got a lot of the information while listening to Collider at the time as they cited the articles and won't be able to get the links. In summary what happened was that Joss Whedon and the Marvel Story group in particular Ike Pearlmutter argued throughout the Production of Age of Ultron which caused a lot of issues not to mention Scarlet Johansson was pregnant and not able to perform in many scenes which required some major rewrites to the story. Age of Ultron was expected to equal or do better numbers than Avengers and after it did well but under the Avengers Bob Iger stepped in. After Bob stepped in the Marvel Story group was fired Ike Pearlmutter was given Marvel TV and Kevin Feige became the head of Marvel Studios and the one in charge of the story. Feige was the guy and he didn't want to work with Pearlmutter anymore and wanted to steer the ship solo. That's why the Inhumans movie was canceled Feige never wanted to make one as it didn't fit with his vision but Pearlmutter did and so the Inhumans ended up on TV. The reports of Joss Whedon leaving are different it seems they made a clean break however reports say that it was complicated and unpleasant and neither side really explains why it happened. Suffice it to say they went with the Russo Brothers and James Gunn taking over the reigns largely with Kevin Feige steering the ship to make sure it goes in one specific direction while letting the directors tell stories that fit the overall narrative.

That's why I say it's possible with regards to RJ being fired or let go but who knows what Disney will decide as they are the ones with the final say. I think the most realistic option if they are going to push ahead before IX is out expect to hear plans for the trilogy being scrapped and RJ working on a one-off movie with a lower budget than the Saga films that may launch a new storyline if it's successful. It all depends on what movie they want to have out after Episode IX or if they want to take some time off after IX. There is still a chance at RJ doing his trilogy I just can't see them greenlighting a Trilogy of films from him right now with regards to the current state of the franchise after Solo. One film yes three not so sure. If they are planning on doing that I expect them to want to get a better gage as to how likely that trilogy is to be profitable.

12. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    Erm actually you will find that Disney do own marvel.....

Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
  13. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    Yes they do which is why you often see comparisons between Star Wars and the MCU as that was the reason Disney bought Star Wars to get their second MCU and make sure no one else got their hands on Star Wars.

14. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    owning Marvel and Disney doesn't make Marvel and Star Wars the same entity. Marvel is run by Kevin Feige and Star Wars/Lucasfilm Is run by Kathleen Kenedy and Bob Iger and Disney are not hands on with there creative properties they let each division run itself with little interference. Its kind of like for instance if Disney buys 20th Century Fox, Fox will still make Rated R Films like Deadpool, The Alien Franchise with Ridley Scott, Predator and countless others they wont feel Like Disney Movies because Disney will get someone to run 20th Century Fox like all the other Divisions they have. Does Pixar feel like Star Wars or Marvel? And that is exactly my point!

15. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    Star Wars fans: Disney is oversaturating the market!!!

Also Star War fans: Why is Disney taking so long to give us info on RJ's trilogy?

16. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    If you think that Bob Iger doesn't get involved in Marvel and Lucasfilm your dreaming. He may not be hands-on everyday but he holds the purse strings and at the end of the day will decide what lines up best with the Overall brand image of Disney as well as with the image of Marvel and LFL under Disney. There have been some reveals regarding the movies that have come from Bob Iger's mouth himself one about Solo in particular. Iger was the one that also outed Pearlmutter from Marvel Studios and gave it to Feige who right now has a much better track record than KK. If you think he is happy with Solo the budget, how much money it cost the company and it's shareholders.... and won't potentially interfere with LFL because of it all I have to say is wow. KK's history with directors and costly reshoots and firings can't be making him very happy right now especially after her last move has cost the studio a lot of money in terms of actual dollars and when I last looked 2.4% of their stock value when they are trying to buy Fox with Disney stock. Things like what happened with Solo will definitely get the eye of the CEO and for awhile he will be involved in a lot more of the decision making and at the end of the day he will either step back and leave it in KK's hands or there will be someone else running LFL. You don't hire the wrong people for a job not notice till it costs the company 80 million and take a negative hit on the stock market and just get a pat on the back and allowed to continue on your merry way. That's why Solo's results could affect KK and RJ's trilogy going forward as it could lead to a major shakeup at LFL or it may not if Episode IX is a smash hit we will have to wait and see.

17. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    so true there are some people that just like to complain and make a bad name for Star Wars fans. Just look at that hate group that is posing as Star Wars fans and got Kelly Marie Tran to quit Social media. these people are not star wars fans they are terrorists that our Government should be looking into, They are against equality in Hollywood.

@Jedi_Fenrir767 I didn't say he didn't get involved I said there is Little Interference He Isn't that hands on. Do you think Deadpool, Ridley Scott's Alien franchise, or Predator will feel like Disney films If Fox Is bought out by Disney?

Do you feel like Pixar or Disney Animation Studios feels like Star Wars or Marvel?:rolleyes:

Ubraniff Zalkaz likes this.
  18. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    Which has what to do with Rian Johnson?

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  19. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Exactly didn't this conversation start by a declaration that Rian Johnson should be fired?

Ubraniff Zalkaz likes this.
  20. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    Going from what I read in the trades Bob Iger is much more hands-on than most people seem to believe. With regards to the Alien Franchise and the Predator one of those is pretty much dead right now and the other well it depends on Shane Black's new film and still not sure it will make enough to justify Disney continuing it. What the new Fox is going to look like is a very big questions Disney has released R rated content before under Miramax so they did pretty much most of Tarantino's movies.

Disney Animation and Pixar actually feel very much alike to the point that Big Hero 6 feels very much like the Incredibles actually even though they come from two different animation studio's under Disney. There is definitely a Pixar feel to Frozen while it keeps the heart of a Disney film. Deadpool is a good question I actually have no idea how to answer that but I suspect they would may not even release another Deadpool movie until they figured out what they were doing with all of the characters they are getting back.

No, I never said RJ should be fired I explained that it is entirely possible since LFL's parent company Disney has done it in the past despite a movie being for the most part successful. The most likely thing is everything gets placed on hold in terms of movies going into production and focus shifts to the TV aspect of the business as Disney is going to use Star Wars to launch their streaming service. I don't think any questions are answered until after IX unless something major happens behind the scenes and we start to see changes occur at LFL before IX is released.

21. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I get into making of videos and spoilers and read a lot of interviews, and I try to watch every Disney Quarterly earnings meetings I just perceive from all of this that Bob Iger is not that hands on with the divisions of his company. I have no hard evidence to support this just things I have read heard and seen.

22. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    The interesting thing is when you listen to the film pundits in Hollywood that talk to and have a relationship with the producers, actors etc. They seem to imply that he can be very hands-off but if he is not liking something he steps in and gets it taken care of right away and is more hands-on than most would believe. It seems that as long as your making money and get no bad press he is hands off the moment that's not the case he has a tendence to step in and make sure things get handled.

23. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Well yea that's a given he has to do his job and hire and Fire people he wouldn't be doing his due diligence if he wasn't. But that doesn't mean he controls every aspect of his divisions in his company.

Let me leave you with this exchange on Twitter I am Leoluca Randisi sorry for the language.

[Removed]
    Disallowed language is disallowed - even when linked.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2018
  24. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    Well, that's one opinion on it, I don't share that opinion. I think we have gotten one great Star Wars film which is Rogue One I loved it and if you didn't that's okay. One good film TFA, One okay film Solo and one terrible film TLJ the narrative just didn't work for me. If you loved all 4 films great but I don't think she has lead the ship flawlessly at all. There have been a lot of issues behind the scenes with hirings, firings (those guys still get paid and that coss the studio $) the inability to work with certain directors and get things sorted out. For example, Tony Gilroy basically reshooting a large chunk of Rogue One, the issues with Lord and Miller then firing them and costing the studio a bunch of money. For certain fans she has been doing a bang-up job but not for all fans and as a leader in business there have been enough bad moves for her boss to step in and ask what exactly is going on and why there are so many issues with the Star Wars films, there was also a lot of conflict with her and JJ on Episode VII as well. Has there been enough issues for Iger to fire her no no idea I think it won't be till we start seeing more numbers on Star Wars profitability in terms of sales with regards to merchandise and licensing and if those keep falling and the box office for IX falls well there's very little chance she stays in charge of LFL and that RJ gets his new trilogy as the company will be looking to do something different to rebuild the brand. Only the months to come will let us know.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2018
  25. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Oh my god please stop. Please just talk about these movies we probably won’t see for three years and know nothing about. I’m not even asking as a mod, just a user.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.