main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RJ Trilogy The Rian Johnson Trilogy

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Fairly sure they’ll get him to write the script. People may not like the content of the TLJ script but it gave everyone a character arc and was well written. They’ve already said he would direct and write the first one.

Revanfan1 and Krueger like this.
  2. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    I am really excited for the possibilities that this trilogy has, with total and unfettered freedom. I am hopeful that it will be less divisive among fans than TLJ. A lot of the split between some fans and the critics was really down to emotional attachment and investment; critics without those things liked the movie because it was well written and beautifully shot, but no quality of writing or direction will be enough for people if they do not like the character and plot points which those efforts are directed towards. I don't agree with them, but I can understand that. (For instance, I think you could write and direct a wonderful scene of, say, Rey realising that Luke is her father, but I would still hate the story choice.)

With a new trilogy, I hope that the calibre of the writing and the direction will shine through without people being put off by any story choices, since they won't have investment in the characters yet.

black_saber likes this.
  3. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Hot take: I thought the script for TLJ was incredibly poor, except for the Luke, Rey, and Kylo portions, that I quite enjoyed. I also found Loopers third act to be poorly written too, and a trilogy of films by Rian, when he didn't even have an idea for them when they were announced, doesn't sound exciting at all.

4. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    This Trilogy is going to be canned. I'm not trying to be rude, it's just my prediction. The "on hold" thing is going to lead to cancellations and this will be the first to go.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Actually, I'm bigger than this (you). I'll let a mod deal with you.

6. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Fans and a lot of general audience hated TPM & AOTC yet GL came back strong with a much more liked movie in ROTS the best prequel & GL gained a lot of respect back ,

I think RJ can learn a lot from that & come back with a much more loved movie overall - he will also benefit from the blank canvas he will be working with as there will be no pre-conceived ideas from the fans & RJ will have no existing characters so he won't be able to ruin any fans childhood......

Luke02 and black_saber like this.
  7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I don't care about the spin-offs being put on hold. In fact, I prefer it.

But I really am hoping this isn't cancelled. TLJ was brilliant, exactly what this franchise needed, and giving RJ a blank slate to go ham was a stroke of genius on the part of Kathleen and company.

Anybody with their finger on the pulse of the public could've seen that Solo was not going to be an event picture in freaking May. I didn't know a single person in the real world who was excited to see this, even if some of the same people did enjoy it. IMO very few people were screaming out for a young Han Solo movie, and it was marketed poorly to boot.

I hope they don't compound their Solo mistake by pulling this. RJ directed the second highest grossing SW film of the Disney era (which looks even better post-Solo), and even adjusted beats 2/3 of the prequels. He's golden.

8. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    I agree. When you have a world-class talent like Rian Johnson, who may be the best visual storyteller since Spielberg, you should find a way to keep him in the family. That said, I realize that Disney is a billion-dollar corporation that prefers safe money-machines like The Avengers, so they have to protect themselves commercially.

Bob Iger could ask Rian to make sure his "trilogy" functions as 3 related standalones -- each with a self-contained plot that leads into the next one but doesn't depend on it. For example, let's say the first movie is about the Prime Jedi who first mastered the power of the Force. Second movie is about the establishment of the (proto) Jedi Order. Third movie is about the fall of the first Jedi and birth of the Sith.

This way, we get at least one vital SW story that will enrich the larger canon, but if it's a box office dud, Disney can always cancel the latter two installments without worrying about an "incomplete" story.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  9. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I doubt Iger would ask Rian for anything.

10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    There’s no way they’re not making this one. But I also don’t see why the Solo mistake should effect future spinoffs either. Correct the mistake by correcting the problem - make sure each film has a lot of time to breathe before releasing the next one. And start marketing early. A year out. I’m still hoping that the reporting here is a little off, and that this is just a reality because of the contracts they signed (with RJ and B&W) and that spinoffs will be made a little further down the road.

rorow1 and jaqen like this.
  11. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    The marketing and release date schedule for Solo was baffling. I couldn't understand it in the lead up and I'm shocked how off they were after doing a great job selling the previous 3.

12. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    They really should have locked down on December after the success of TFA. This seems like a common sense decision but instead they started playing games with the dates: at one point the plan seemed to be: RO for December 2016, TLJ for May 2017, and Solo for May 2018. I don't know why they were aiming to get May back (esp at the cost of throwing their schedule off): it's like they were still living in 2005.

13. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Force Awakens was initially intended to be a summer movie. After Arndt left the project and JJ and Kasdan took over writing duties it was pushed back to December. I'm sure there are reasons that make a lot of since to those in the business. For instance December is often intended for the more artistic movies and not the big blockbusters.

14. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Honestly, speaking as a consumer, I preferred the May dates. I'd rather be thinking about the holidays in December rather than Star Wars.

my kind of scum likes this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think that’s like the opposite of what a hot take is. A lot of people think this.

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm actually the opposite. I've loved having Star Wars movies in December, that let's me think about something other than the holidays for a couple of hours.

17. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    https://makingstarwars.net/2018/06/rumor-mos-eisley-spaceport-film-postponed-obi-wan-and-fett-live/

RJ's trilogy being more all ages and the Game of Thrones dudes movies being more adult isn't hard to imagine. As I've said before I wouldn't be surprised if the RJ trilogy cast is pretty young, somewhere between 8 and 18 years old. It also wouldn't surprise me if the star is somewhere in the middle of that age range so that when we meet them in the first film they're a kid and by the end of the trilogy they're a young adult.

18. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Sounds like the Benioff/Weiss films are next after episode IX.

19. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    They didnt want Solo in December 18 because that's when Mary Poppins Returns comes out.

20. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I thought Mary Poppins returned in TLJ. :p

21. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Oh I know about that, but I believe that was something they asked for only after they had the problems with Lord and Miller, and I can appreciate why Disney was like, "Sorry, too late, the schedule is made." What I was getting at was that LF (or Disney...) already wanted to switch Star Wars to a May schedule long beforehand, starting with TLJ.

(All that being said, I don't think the May release hurt Solo that badly, and to the extent that it did hurt Solo, I think it had more to do with the proximity to TLJ than the month itself. I just feel that in the long term it would be wise to claim December and make it the month identified with Star Wars -- keep it simple for the GA.)

22. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I agree they need to keep December and claim it and own it.

Jedi Knight Fett and Bor Mullet like this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    [​IMG]

24. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    There's a quick little bit about both this trilogy and the Benioff/Weiss films from MSW in Jason's article on the whole Anthology situation. It makes sense to me for the tones of both to be as stated here. I think The Last Jedi was one of the more thoughtful films in the series, but it still had a playfulness to it and a willingness to be a bit goofy at times, while B&W have spent the better part of the past decade adapting a sprawling story that kills off major characters on a dime.

https://makingstarwars.net/2018/06/...ased-star-wars-films-are-still-in-production/

25. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter movies were cleaning up at the December box office long before TFA was ever a glimmer in anybody's imagination.

Nothing about Solo suggested it could compete against Infinity War and Deadpool 2. And I mean not even the concept. Did you know a lot of people offline who were stoked for a young Han Solo movie? I didn't, and I know a lot of people.

The very concept of Solo felt like something you'd drop in very late summer/early fall. I don't even think it's a big Christmas time release. It's the kind of movie you drop during a lull season and just watch clean up at the box office because competition is light.

When I saw they were dropping in May, and saw what other films were coming against it, I had a bad feeling about this...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.