main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RJ Trilogy The Rian Johnson Trilogy

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I don't see a single thing that is even remotely hinting at this. Sounds more like something you hope will happen.

If there is one thing you definately don't do, it's back down against crazy people who make death-threats to you, because that only lets them win. You never - ever - make a decision like that based on what a few random clowns think, else you might as well shut down the entire company.

It's fairly obvious that the first movie of Johnson's trilogy will have to stand on its own. That's kind of the norm for any first part. After that is done, you can take a look at how well it was received, and whether you continue with Johnson at the helm, give other people a chance (this wouldn't require a failure either, they stated the possibility right from the get go) or think that it isn't worth the effort and stop there. There is nothing to be gained by cutting things down to one movie before the first one is even out. You only hurt the people working for you and boost those who have treated you like garbage. Not to mention that you could run into the situation of the first movie working really well, and then what, announce that parts 2 and 3 are on again? There couldn't be a weaker reaction than that, apart from cancelling the entire trilogy from the get to.

Darth_Bertie, Lee_ and Krueger like this.
  2. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I seriously cannot believe a few are entertaining the thought of giving in, in any way shape or form, to disgusting sociopaths who are so detached from reality that they would threaten someone's life because they made a film they did not like. Really think about what you're suggesting.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, it's always a sensible thing to do what the terrorists tell you to do...

4. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    There was a man arrested after TFA for death threats to his friend who dropped a spoiler on him before he saw the movie. SW fandom is serious business.....

That's pretty twisted to threaten someone over a movie- like get a life. LFL believe in Rian, and I think they will be going through with his movies barring unforeseen changes; these losers will do nothing to stop that.

It actually is a serious crime to threaten someone with the intent to intimidate or terrorize them, and your actual intent to harm the person is irrelevant to the criminality of the act- it is based on your intent to terrorize. Not sure how it is in other states, but in CA, you can get up to 3 years in prison for a conviction.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    EHT and G-FETT like this.
  5. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002

Agreed Especially since Rian Johnson received death threats as well for the last jedi in the direction of the movie he choose to make.

6. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Indeed.

If I walked up to a stranger in the street and told them that (for whatever reason) I was intending to kill them I would be committing a pretty serious criminal offence... So why should it be any different online just because people *think* that being online gives them anonymity?

jaqen, AndrewPascoe and Lee_ like this.
  7. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    The Rian Johnson trilogy was announced in early November, 2017. It is now more than 7 months later, and we have yet to hear another single word officially from Disney about plans for Johnson's trilogy, and we haven't even gotten a significant update from Johnson on Twitter or in an interview about the writing or production timeline or when we can expect the first film...

Surely Disney wouldn't green light a Johnson trilogy without seeing a script for the first film or at least a very detailed treatment, so you'd think that 7 months later there would be significant progress made and some news about the trilogy's plans...

Instead....
    It's all very vague and quiet...

Is it time to consider the possibility that this trilogy is A) Not happening at all, B) Not happening for many years (after the GoT guys films and the streaming series kicks off), C) Changing to a single movie, and waiting to see if its a hit, instead of green lighting a full trilogy up front, or D) Shifting from a trilogy to a streaming series on the upcoming Disney platform.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    2Cleva likes this.
  8. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I wouldn't eliminate any possibility.

That said - I said from the start that announcing a RJ trilogy before TLJ released sounded more hype than earned.

9. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    They've been pretty tight lipped about the Star Wars Films since the get go, and at this point they are likely focusing on Episode 9....so no real reason to try and really hype people up for What Rian Johnson is doing in a later film at this point.

10. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Exactly. We have episode 9, a live action tv show, and Resistance all coming up fairly soon. After that there will be a lot more Star Wars. It's a great time to be a Star Wars fan.

11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Bergman also made it sound like we’re at least two years away from seeing anything at all. I do think the announcement was made too early, as they didn’t even have a prospective launch window for the first film. If I had to guess, this thing shoots in 2020 for a late 2021 release date.

Bor Mullet and Darth_Bertie like this.
  12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I kind of thought the announcements for both the RJ Trilogy and the Benioff-Weiss films seemed surprisingly early. I think they wanted to get it out there officially as soon as the contracts were signed, before any rumor sites could beat them to it. But then after that, they don't seem to intend to give any more updates for either until significant progress is being made.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  13. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I don't see it. Why should there be publically announced news over this? You can't just pretend that nobody knows anything just because YOU (or the public) don't know anything. Reads more like yet another attempt of yours to spell doom over this trilogy because you don't like the thought of it. The only thing that matters is that people at the studio know what level of production happens at which point in time. Seeing how it is extremely rare to get any news at all about early stages of production, mostly because there is next to nothing to say, it is rather weird to read anything into this. Lucasfilm announced Colin Trevorrow as director of Episode IX in 2015, over 2 1/2 years before the movie was supposed to start principal photography. Yet here you are, openly questioning the development of something just because Lucasfilm hasn't informed you about the current goings of early stages of development. What news, pray tell, did you expect to get, when the movie couldn't possibly have been shot before summer 2019 in a best case scenario anyway (which would still be one year ahead of the announcement for IX)?

The original announcement didn't say that this trilogy would be right up next. With Episode IX still two years away at that point, and spin-offs still in the pipeline, it was rather likely that production on this trilogy would not be on the immediate horizon. The same is true for the Benioff&Weiss series, something that can't possibly start until the end of 2019 at the earliest, because that's when GoT will be over.

In the case of Rogue One, the general announcement of spin-offs came in February 2013. Gareth Edwards was announced as director of the yet not even publically defined spin-off in May 2014. It took until March 2015 for Iger to announce more details at a Disney shareholder meeting, with the title of Rogue One, the general theme of the movie and Felicity Jones as lead. And that was with principal photography starting in summer 2015. There simply is nothing to support the view that not having gotten any further news seven months after the announcement was in any way, shape or form surprising, unusual or even worrysome.

14. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    The announcement was made to get people interested in TLJ and to give confidence to Disney's shareholders. They won't shoot a single frame until at least 2020.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  15. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It won’t get made at all, imo. As you said, it was just an announcement to gain excitement and appease shareholders, a movie without a release date is not a movie.

D'an, 2Cleva and Darth Smurf like this.
  16. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    That would be true if movies just spontaneously appeared in theaters.

jaqen and RiddleMeThis like this.
  17. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    When the announcement was made, I believe it was made in good faith as KK was very excited about TLJ and SW. A lot can happen in 6 months and since Disney and LFL have been re-evaluating their approach to making SW films, I agree that the RJ trilogy may be stuck on amber for the forseeable future.

Serpico Jones and RuinJohnson like this.
  18. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Exactly. The fact that the people who keep saying time after time these movies are not going to see the light are always the ones who hated TLJ.

We need to learn how to separate our own personal expectations from what is likely or even realistic.

19. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Don't expect that to ever happen.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  20. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Nah, I just thinks its weird Johnson hasn't said anything on twitter like "script draft done" or "hard at work on new Star Wars" or some kind of timeline officially announced like stating what year the first film will come out—why not release that? Seems like the announcement back in NOV was mostly to hype up TLJ, and had little to do with how far or not far along Johnson was with his new concept.

Typically when I big film or franchise is announced like the Johnson trilogy was, there's some kind of detail with that same announcement or not long after about WHEN people will expect to see the film in cinemas. I would be shocked if Johnson's first film arrives in 2021. I think 2022 at the earliest. But my money is on 2023. It's going to be a while folks, or else more concrete details would have emerged already IMO. Johnson is probably still at the script draft phase, and I'm guessing he sold LFL on his concept based on a treatment and a good pitch.

Remember, that announcement was not like the Indiana Jones stuff where Spielberg or Iger or Kennedy says they are working on a new installment and all parties want to do another one when the story is right and everyone can work together....The Johnson announcement was so confident, 3 MOVIES, THIS IS HAPPENING...It was a bold announcement...more details seemed imminent the way it was announced...and now...Nothing...not even casting rumors, concept art leaks or location scouting info leaked...Nothing...

Maybe a lot is happening and it's just kept incredibly well guarded, and we will get more at Celebration 2019...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  21. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    There’s a bit about Johnson at the end of a Slashfilm article on whether Feige could potentially replace Kennedy in the event that she chooses to or is asked to step down (short answer: no).

http://www.slashfilm.com/kevin-feige-lucasfilm/

rorow1 and jaqen like this.
  22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I've seen no signs that Disney or LFL are anything but happy with Rian.

jaqen likes this.
  23. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    The movie made money, it's won some Saturn Awards, it had a very smooth production, and the critics really enjoy the film....honestly I am not surprised they are happy with Rian Johnson. JJ had to shut down production due to an on set injury, Rogue One's ending was completely reworked in reshoots and Solo had to axe it's directors to even make it to the big screen. Taking all that into consideration and RJ's likely in first place when it comes to Star Wars films as far as Disney is concerned.

MaciekRS likes this.
  24. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. While every franchise film is technically a "cash grab," Star Wars is the only current franchise where artistry is given as much consideration as commerce. That doesn't mean that other franchises put out crap or that SW doesn't slip up, but time and again, we see signs that SW is being treated with special care by Disney.

Casting an unknown as the new saga lead, letting them kill off the entire main cast in Rogue One, letting Rian make a film as subversive and divisive as TLJ, giving Rian a trilogy of his own before TLJ even opened, making a Solo movie because it was George and Kasdan's passion project. You don't see these kinds of moves elsewhere and I'm extremely grateful for that, even though (like everyone else) I have my own suggestions for improvement.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  25. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    This. 100% this. Kennedy is a gem. I can’t understand those pining for Feige to step in and flatten this universe.

jaqen and TadoFett like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.