main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RJ Trilogy The Rian Johnson Trilogy

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trinu 3.0

Trinu 3.0 Jedi Knight

Dec 19, 2017
    Fight?

The film is done and no matter how much you comment on here, Facebook, Twitter or whatever is going to change it.

As for the next ones, if you’re not up in the production chain, I doubt Disney/Lucasfilm will hear any of this fight.

Don’t get me wrong, commenting the rights anf wrongs of a film/book/whatever is what these forums are for, but I feel many people are more like “This film sucked and I’ve jumped off the ship, but I’m gonna keep posting here to tell everyone how far I’ve jumped and how wrong they are for not jumping with me”.

2. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    Luke hasn't had the benefit of watching the Star Wars movies from a perspective where these things don't matter like we do. Its easy to say that characters in movies should always make the correct decision and do what it in hindsight would be "best", but that doesn't happen in real life and, in my opinion, is unsatisfying to expect it to happen in our fiction. Luke made a mistake and immediately realized it was a mistake. It was a kneejerk reaction that backfired on him.

3. Ginkasa

Jun 13, 2002

Yeah, true story. I don't post much, but I've been around since just after Episode II. I know what I'm getting into when I come here around a movie's released.

4. Ahsoka Blaster

Ahsoka Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2017
    @Trinu 3.0
    Why don't you stop expressing your opinion then? No one important will ever care, according to you.

5. CakeThiefPro

CakeThiefPro Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 16, 2015
    That would make sense if he wasn't able to talk to two jedi masters and potentially Anakin himself whenever he wanted. We also learn from TLJ that Luke has spent at least some time learning about the ways of the Jedi and the rise of Darth Sidious, who he previously referred to as simply The Emperor. It just doesn't make sense for him to be less wise now than he was before.

eko32eko7 and rebelknight1 like this.
  6. Ginkasa

Jun 13, 2002
    I mean, I don't think I'm going to be able to convince you if you want to dig in your heels. I will say that there's no evidence that Luke can talk to any Force Ghost whenever he wants. He's never been able to just summon them; they appear when they want. Wisdom is also not an RPG stat (I mean, it is, but here its not) where its an immediate pass/fail. I know that shots don't actually hurt me, but I still get nervous when I smell that alcohol rub before I get a flu vaccine or give blood. I imagine regardless of how much Luke "knows" the immediate reaction to being mentally assaulted with everything you've ever known and loved being destroyed is going to be severe.

7. CakeThiefPro

CakeThiefPro Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 16, 2015
    I'm really not digging my heels in, I'm just using basic evidence and logic. We know Luke has learned more about the prequel era and it's only logical to assume that Yoda or Obi Wan might have filled him in on some of it. Even more likely is that he spent some time talking to his dad and finding out precisely what went wrong and maybe asking about his mother.

Another hole in the film is that they don't even show precisely what Kylo is thinking. Was he having dreams of killing his father and uncle even has a young teenager? If so, it might be time to stop presenting him as a conflicted character that could be redeemed. If he was just having dreams of power and prestige then honestly it's not that unusual for teenagers, particularly rich ones with famous families I'd imagine, to think about such things. It's surely Luke's job as a teacher to explain to him why there is more to life, rather than thinking "ah **** it, probably better if I kill him now. Han and Leia will understand."

8. Trinu 3.0

Trinu 3.0 Jedi Knight

Dec 19, 2017
    Read my post again, please.

It's not about sharing opinions, which is perfectly fine.
    It's about the random proclamations that Star Wars is dead, and instead of moving on (if they really feel like that) they come back and keep posting how bad it is as if trying to convince others (and themselves).

9. Ahsoka Blaster

Nov 12, 2017
    Those people are sharing their opinions too. If you don't like reading them, ignore them. But don't tell people not to express themseleves just because it bothers you.

eko32eko7 likes this.
  10. Ginkasa

Jun 13, 2002
    That's my line.

11. Trinu 3.0

Trinu 3.0 Jedi Knight

Dec 19, 2017
    I'm not telling anyone what to do.

I'm just questioning the wording between "fighting for the film I wanna see" and "sharing my opinion".
    Quite different.

But ok.

episodenone and civilsecret like this.
  12. Ahsoka Blaster

Nov 12, 2017
    Let us all know when you've discovered a great difference.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  13. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Eh, Disney just made me love the SW movies, characters and media I always have even more. [face_devil]

Like any fandom I am involved with, I vote with my wallet and heart. I probably will pass on these as LFL’s powers that be are largely not my cup of blue milk. I hope others enjoy them.

Ahsoka Blaster likes this.
  14. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I sure prefer your attitude over the "Disney ruined Star Wars" tantrums.

I'm sorry you haven't enjoyed them. But I sure have, and I thank you for wishing me well.

15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Don’t cry for me...Canto Blight (okay it does not rhyme with Argentina -eh- Cantina :p)

There is SW for everyone. I realized where that love lies and will support any new media that echoes that. Otherwise, I will pass. I am better off not seeing TLJ, and sticking to my certain point of view to continue to embrace the SW that I love. And let others enjoy.

Thank the Maker:) there are many spaces in this forum where we can express our likes and dislikes.

eko32eko7, Ren Kylo and Strongbow like this.
  16. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I think the announcement of this trilogy was more of a PR move than anything. I wouldn’t be surprised if no contracts have been signed and zero plans are in place. It’s also important to remember that Bob Iger is a businessman, he’s not in the business of making divisive products. The future of SW storytelling is probably very much up in the air.

rebelknight1 likes this.
  17. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    cool down and no offence, im not talkinf about YOU or anyone here especially. What i mean -and i stand by it- is i never signed a petition or something when i didnt like a movie. Dont you think it's going too far? Everyone has the right to have an opinion about this movie. And i have the right to think that people who disliked the film are overreacting.

18. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    I just hope it gets cancelled

Pete Ren, eko32eko7 and rebelknight1 like this.
  19. Trinu 3.0

Trinu 3.0 Jedi Knight

Dec 19, 2017
    Of course it was.
    It was an obvious attempt to hype up the fandom before TLJ.

I doubt they expected the film (and the director) to receive such backlash, but still, the film is racking in millions.

I doubt they’ll cancel it.
    They might readjust the budget and “just” give him 450 million for the three films or whatever, but they are happening for sure and I can’t wait for them.

20. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I really don't understand why they'd give him a trilogy. I'm very "meh" on Last Jedi, but regardless, I didn't see anything in the film that made me think Rian is a man that deserves to tell three more stories. His script isn't great, and his direction doesn't stand out as stellar.

21. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    They won’t. Rian won’t be back.

22. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    I don’t see Disney moving forward with him. The movie is very similar to Age of Ultron’s box office...which was considered something of a disappointment and led to a director switch.

rebelknight1 likes this.
  23. Trinu 3.0

Trinu 3.0 Jedi Knight

Dec 19, 2017
    Whedon had decided he was done with Avengers before it hit theatres tho?
    https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Her...He-Directing-Avengers-Infinity-War-70816.html

I still don’t get why Disney would now backtrack themselves and take the trilogy away from Rian.
    It wouldn’t look nice and it would make it look like the franchise is in trouble.

Plus, they’re not coming until 2020 the earliest.
    They have plenty of time to think well what they want to do and make it right.

Darthur C. Clarke likes this.
  24. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    Whedon was done with Disney/Marvel, that's why there was a director switch. This was known before Age of Ultron was released. He wasn't pushed out by anyone, in fact, I'm fairly sure I remember interviews with him where he stated that he couldn't really work within Disney/Marvel's constraints anymore.

There will be no decision made about Johnson anytime soon, unless the movie actually stops selling ANY tickets. Certainly not before Chinese box office numbers come in, and probably not until they get a view of what Solo's box office looks like. And those are if they are even considering it.

25. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Ahahaha. I would definitely say contracts are in place and that Rian is already working on the project. They don’t announce these things until they’ve got their ducks lined up. Sure they probably announced it early to build hype for TLJ but to suggest that it was announced off the cuff like a high school brag? As others have said they’d look ridiculous backtracking.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Both the executives at Lucasfilm and Disney were very happy with the product Johnson put out. They’ve been on public record stating this along with wanting to continue the working relationship. TLJ will probably be the top grossing film of 2017 and one of the top all time.

Johnson is fine and not going anywhere.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.