main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Ridiculously-Specific ?Don?t Blame Me?Blame the OC!? Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Fluff-Slayer, Jul 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluff-Slayer

Fluff-Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2005
    We've relocated, and the thread is locked now.
    Sorry!

If you want to participate in this challenge or one of its fellows, click here.

The Ridiculously-Specific ?Don?t Blame Me?Blame the OC!? Challenge

Version 1.0

Are you suddenly without inspiration? Have your muse friends hopped a train and fled to Oregon? Never fear; the Ridiculously-Specific Challenge is here to change all that!

Tell me a story about a mission that?s gone horribly, horribly wrong?all because of some really weird fluke. The outcome is unavoidable, really, but the main character still gets blamed. There must be at least one instance of obvious conflict, and the character in question must try to argue his/her innocence (despite the fact that it seems unlikely s/he will be believed). There must also be a flashback in which we see the memory from two different points of view.

Guidelines:

-Can be any length, preferably between 200 and 1000 words.
    -May be written in any genre and any Era.
    -Must include the words sporadic, insubordinate, guunga fruit(s), higgledy-piggledy, neon toupee(s), bombshell(s), waitress(es), chance(s), door stop(s), cadence(s), inevitability, and sentient life form(s).
    -Must take place, at some point in time, on Coruscant.
    -Must involve inter-planetary travel aboard a non-passenger freight vessel.
    -Must involve, at some point in time, a character questioning authority.
    -Must involve a serious miscalculation.
    -At least one character must use a cliché quote at least once. Example: ?Look before you leap? ?The early bird catches the worm?. A minor character must use the quote ?Pretty is as pretty does?.
    -The character responsible for the trouble must use the words, ?Don?t blame me!? in their defense, and must attempt to hold an OC responsible. (Note: The OC needs only to be mentioned; they do not have to appear in the actual story!)
    -Someone must be read a bedtime story that relates (strangely) to the story that they are in.
    -An illness must be contracted.
    -The state of someone?s shoes must be mentioned three times.
    -Someone must lose a sleeve.
    -A character that does not belong (i.e. someone from another series, a character that hasn?t been born yet, etc.) must be cleverly mentioned by an offhand minor character.
    -A small child must rebuke the main character for his/her mistake.
    -Must end with the characters watching a ship departing.

If you guys can pull this off, I will remove my non-existent hat and bow to you.

Good luck!

{{Don?t forget to post a link when you?re finished!}}

Links

oqidaun was kind enough to create a thread for the Saga Challenge Responses. If you're the first to write a response for the other two Eras, go ahead and create a thread for the responses there and hand me the link so the others can find it. :p

Before the Saga Challenge Responses

And Those Brave, Brave Souls:
    -oqidaun
    -JediNemesis
    -Fluff-Slayer
    -Commander-DWH (Who gets a :* 'cause I forgot 'em!)
    -Iryla (Who gets a [:D]as well...Sorry! I'm sorry!)

Note: If I've forgotten any of you, speak up! I'm an old lady, and my memory is faulty.

2. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    Now that's what I call a challenge! Holy smokes!

I may have to tackle this. I have no idea how, but it's just too bizarre to pass up!

*runs off with big basket of carrots. "here, bunny bunny bunny!"*

3. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    You forgot the dress code--what I am I supposed to be wearing while writing this? :p

I'm game, but you're going to suffer.

4. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    That's just so strange I might have to tackle it. Ideas are forming already.

Be afriad. Be very afraid. My OC is practically begging to do this. :D

5. Fluff-Slayer

Jun 12, 2005
    Hooray, we have a few brave souls! [:D] I'm really looking forward to reading these.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me, oqidaun.

The official Dress Code for the Ridiculously-Specific Challenge

-One coconut bra
    -Two striped socks of different length and color
    -One blinking Rudolf The Red-Nosed Raindeer? nose
    -One pair of white drum major's gloves
    -One pair of Ridiculously-Mutilated Jeans?

{Note: if any of the mentioned objects are out of the writer's power to obtain, the writer can feel free to improvise where needed.}

6. oqidaun

Jul 20, 2005
  7. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Hm, I thought about this challenge but my OC refuses to cooperate. Said it WASN'T his fault, the Admiral should never have had the entire Sixth Fleet in drydock at the same time and HE couldn't have known what that asteroid would do...

8. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I'd be interested in tackling this, though I doubt I could do it in the preferable 200-1000 words...I mean, the guidelines alone are over 300 [face_laugh]

Nice idea, though. I like it.

9. OmnipotentSeal

OmnipotentSeal Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2005
    Wow that would make for a really trippy story... "Fear and Loathing in Coruscant." ;)

Be afriad. Be very afraid. My OC is practically begging to do this. :D

Heh, thats definitely a DWH style challenge. ;)

10. Fluff-Slayer

Jun 12, 2005
    Be wary about the way you go about this, guys. oqidaun did it, and now he suffers from internal brain-bleeding and spasms. [face_mischief]

Mistress Renata- That's too bad! You'll have to send him to his room for that one.

Note: I would be awfully impressed if someone could weave in some angst/another genre into their response instead of it just being humor... [face_batting] You know... I'm just sayin'...

Exeter- There's no word limit. In the words of Captain Jack, "They're much more like guidelines than actual rules."

11. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    <looks at F-S with awe> How you managed to come up with so many guidelines I'll never know - but I'm itching to write this one. Although I'm wondering if I can fit all that into 1000 words. Girl...thou art truly evil.[face_devil] That, my dear, is why I like you so much. :)

Eaargh. Now to tempt some bunnies...

12. Exeter

Feb 2, 2005
    Exeter- There's no word limit. In the words of Captain Jack, "They're much more like guidelines than actual rules."

[face_laugh] Yeah, I just have to be careful, or I might start to earn a reputation for far exceeding challenge guidelines...

Anyway, I'm planning on participating. I just need to come up with a premise first. Again, this is a very intriguing challenge, thanks for getting it set up.

13. Fluff-Slayer

Jun 12, 2005
    But of course, E. I'm glad--and very surprised--that we've gotten so much interest!

Princess, love, you make me blush. [face_blush] But if I'm evil, then you must be the fanfiction equivelant of Crispified Ani, O Mistress of Evil Cliff-Hangers. Don't make me start calling you Darth Cliffy. [face_laugh] Some people would think I'm being insulting!

14. oqidaun

Jul 20, 2005
    My brain has stopped bleeding from the challenge and I've noticed that my entry is the only one.
    Tsk, tsk, tsk...

I shall taunt you for the first time!
    Where are all of the other entries?
    Was this challenge too challenging?
    Do you people have jobs or something better else to do?
    Was your father a hampster and did your mother reek of elderberries?

Now for some peer pressure sponsored by the folks at Hasbro:
    C'mon, you know you want to...

15. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Hey, I'd like to state that this is one of FIVE plots currently chilling in the queue.

I'll get it after I get part two of my OC challenge piece done. :p

16. oqidaun

Jul 20, 2005
    Sorry friend, not a reasonable answer. I've got a fic and my dissertation in queue. ;p
    Don't mind me, just trying to drum up some business. :D

17. Exeter

Feb 2, 2005
    You know, I'm absolutely committed to turning out a serious (as in, not humor-centered) response to this challenge, no matter how difficult the guidelines make that :p

18. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Ooohhh...Darth Cliffy....[face_love]. Wonderful names you think of, m'dear. :D

>>One coconut bra
    -Two striped socks of different length and color
    -One blinking Rudolf The Red-Nosed Raindeer? nose
    -One pair of white drum major's gloves
    -One pair of Ridiculously-Mutilated Jeans?

Huh. <Looks at her lime green and black striped outfit, and grimaces>

19. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    I've done one. How, I have no idea. At all. Anyways, The Crawling Greenies is posted to the Saga thread. :D

And now I think I shall bang my head against the wall. [face_beatup]

20. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm still working on mine but my OC is rebelling. She doesn't want to cooperate.

21. oqidaun

Jul 20, 2005
    Go for it! There are a lot of possibilities once the initial shock of the Sadistic List (TM) wears off. If you could work a "neon toupee" into an angsty fic, you'd have something on me. Yesterday morning, everytime I looked at Fluffy's ;) demands all I could think of was Muppet quality humor.

22. Fluff-Slayer

Jun 12, 2005
    I'm absolutely certain that you can handle that, Exeter, and with more flair then I will be able to manage. (As I'm going to try it as well.)

Hey now. None of that. [face_shame_on_you] The list isn't sadistic; it's creativity-inspiring!

Nicholas the Muse-Man: I beg to differ, O Cruel One.

Me: Hey! You're back! :eek:

Darth Cliffy: For some reason, when you say that, I picture this witch's costume I wore once for Halloween...complete with a stringy green wig! XD Um... yeah....

Congrats, JediNemesis! *Scurries off to read it*

23. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    C'mon, Exeter, you can do it. :p

24. Fluff-Slayer

Jun 12, 2005
    Finally, I've managed my response.

The Ridiculous Misadventure

I'm sorry to inform you, Exeter, that my attempt is complete craziness, and not at all the way I hoped for it to turn out. Not serious at all...

*Sniffles* But at least I wrote something... right?

25. Exeter

Feb 2, 2005
    Alright, I've begun writing it. I figured out most of the plot points in my head at work today and I think I can do it - though its going to be the size of a short story rather than a traditional challenge entry.

Idrelle - Go for it, I'm sure you can pull it off...

oqidaun - Yes, but your Muppet-quality humor was so well executed!

JediNemesis - We'll see :p

Fluff-Slayer- Maybe not serious, but it was awesome nonetheless! Loved it...I plan on reading it again later. And I have to thank you again for coming up with this preposterously appealing challenge ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.