main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The right Saber Hilt Length Instructions

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by steveskywalker, Jul 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveskywalker

steveskywalker Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2002
    Just so everyone knows and their lightsabers can be better, I want to clarify the "right" way to find out the saber hilt length. Just click the image below.

[image=http://dbzsyntax.netfirms.com/tn_hiltsize.jpg]

* Note: Also, the length of your saber blade is how tall you are.

:) Hope this helps

2. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    Looks about right to me.

Where'd you get this?

3. GrnJalera

GrnJalera Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2001
    If you want a 3 foot hilt and a 1 foot blade - I say do it. It's whatever is comfortable.

There is no set "formula" for determining how long the blade or hilt should be.

4. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Exactly, GrnJelara !!!

No offense steveskywalker . . . .
    But I do not understand what this obsessive-compulsive disorder is with some people that they think that every aspect of their production has to be in exacting corelation to some kind of non-existent right/wrong "formula."

People ... there is NO set formula/measurements for ANYTHING when it comes to film production.
    There is always (and will always) be other ways to accomplish something . . . often times culminating in a better result.

This is especially true with the topic of this thread - lightsaber hilts. Show me where it says that there is a right/wrong length for a lightsaber hilt? Number one - THEY DON'T EXIST IN REALITY. And whatever information is contained within any of the Star wars Visual Dictionaries and/or Weapons Schematics books is simply that author's/illustrator's interpretation of what it could be. The bottom line is, there is NO set guidelines for creating your hilts. If there was, then we wouldn't have seen Count Dooku's kick-ass lightsaber hilt design, or Darth Maul's double-bladed saber design.

It's all up to your imagination - not what anyone else says (or thinks) is right or wrong. :D

JediTAC

5. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Ah, good ol' TAC! I just hope ppl stop flaming other's clips/movies by saying things like "thats not how so and so should be, etc...". You made a very good point, and I hope many will come to understand it.

Carl

6. crutag-ventor

crutag-ventor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    JediTAC is right, but I think this gives everyone (new) a good general idea. ;)

7. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    The guy found a picture showing a hilt size guideline, and shared it with us. For this he gets repremanded.

Imagination and creativity are important, but what's wrong with guidelines? Nobody said everyone has to make their hilts exactly as long as their forearms. It's just a reference point.

I found it usefull.

8. Venardhi

Venardhi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2002
    '* Note: Also, the length of your saber blade is how tall you are.'

Maybe how tall you are/2.

Seriously, have you ever tried to wield a 6 foot long sword? Lucas makes his blades about 3 feet long, I would say that is more reasonable, and since it is 'canon' it is what most people will use.

9. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Hi!

Yeah I'm 6'2...maybe he meant HALF of your height...

My hilt will be 12" Thats for many reasons, that meansuremensts suggest 11.something. meh!

I like 12"

10. Desann2002

Desann2002 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    "Hitl the same length as your forarm"

good idea, looking at my cast (and the fact that we each built our own sabers) they've come out to that effect, each person in my cast is built differently, so our saber hilts are all at different sizes....but as Tac said...its all make-believe, they're not real, so there is no "propour" length for them.....just let your imagination flow.

PS. I KNOW I CANT SPELL.......GET USED TO IT :D

11. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    Seems to me that Lucas followed the guidelines for making the types of swords used in Kendo and various other martial arts. steveskywalker's measurement (with the blade actually being 1/2 your height) seems about right with those guidelines. OF course I'm not a fighter, so I wouldn't know. :)

12. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    No one is "repremanding" steveskywalker ....

All we are doing is pointing out that there are no set-in-stone guidelines for saber hilt/blade lengths. I see a lot fo posts asking these types of questions, and the answer should simply be - use your best creative judgement. ;)

13. Quin-Dara-Ken

Quin-Dara-Ken Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2002
    (in a Sean Connery accent)
    Agh Tac, well said good Ol chum, needless to say you are right, we shouldn't bother with sizes, its however you use it... oops sorry, wrong topic LOL! :D! But seriously, my home made lightsaber is not really the size of my forearm, basically because I thought it was too long and it left a lot of empty space, I made it shorter so that the deco's (decorations, handles etc.) would be seen properly, at least properly according to MY vision, not someone elses. use your imagination, go wild!! most lightsabers I've seen are the same type of metal, but I decided to go with like a golden-bronze look to make it look kinda sophisticated.

14. steveskywalker

steveskywalker Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2002
    Thanks. I guess I shouldn't have said the "right" way, but that's how I figure it out. If any of you want to know, I drew that. The arm proportions(sorry if misspelled) aren't exactly right, but I you probably get the right idea. I got the blade length info when I was looking around on SW sites on the internet. Most of them said that's how you find out, so that's what I do. I'm glad you like it though. :)

If anyone wants Star Wars or Expanded Universe info, just PM me. If I don't know it, I'll probably be able to find out on the internet.

15. Various

Various Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2002
    The length being about the same as your forearm is a good guide. Warriors in history would have their weapons custom made to acomidate their grip. Light sabers are rather long. I would guess the average length of the blade to be around four feet or three and a half. People under five and a half feet tall will probably want something shorter, tho. The closest thing to actual history we could compare a lightsaber too is the European two hand swords (straight blade, length of weapon) and they were typically just over four and half feet long over all.

16. ExFilms

ExFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001

Good to know Steve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.