The right tools for the right job?

Discussion in 'Fan Sites' started by RidingMyCarousel, Dec 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidingMyCarousel Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm praying this fits into this forum. If not, someone feel free to lock it :)

I'm wondering...
    What do YOU feel are the right tools for your website?

Do you run a database driven website on PHP and MySQL? A nifty Dreamweaver based site made of pure HTML? Or do you venture into the lands of Flash? And do you host your own site or does someone else?

Personally, I run the first.. my website is composed of HTML, PHP and all of the database entries are stored on a local MySQL machine that I set up to run off of my home PC. At first I took the time to learn the basics of PHP and MySQL so that I could store entries and later recall them on my website for future reference. It was fun and nifty, seeing how I could handle so much... It was a dream come true. I could finally host my own message board and not have it crash due to bandwidth restrictions (though, my ISP doesn't like all the traffic I get ;)). I've done a lot of my website's actual design in Dreamweaver and have done the graphics in Photoshop 7. And right now I'm working on a new website design that will allow a "user commenting system".. after anything added or a picture or just about anything I want to, users can add a comment to the database and it'll be read back to them. While this isn't monumentous, I do find it challenging and fun, since I've never met anyone (in person) who's handled a database driven site like mine :)

So, how about you? What do you use?
  2. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    For modular Sites: PHP and SQL

For Sites using a single nav bar: SHTML

For most other things: Vanilla HTML

¤Night
  3. malducin Jedi Master

star 4
    For my website I use a hosting company, which provides me with PHP, MySQL databases, etc. I could have hosted it on one of my computers but the bandwidth might have been too much, and besides I use the computer for other things and might not leave it on all the time.

Anyway I do know a bit of MySQL and PHP and do somestuff with that at work from time to time. But for my website I wanted a package that would let me handle the data, a portal site, plus forums. So instead of programming I researched PHP apps via Sourceforge and Freshmeat, and installed many and tested them for weeks until finding one I liked. I use PHPWebsite for my main portal, PHPBB v. 2 for the forums. Makes it much easier to manage plus somebody else has to worry about fixing bugs. I still have to do stuff in PHP and MySQL, like coding themes and backups, etc. For another section I will code it in PHP since there is no specific app for credit listings and use MySQL for storing data. In the future I might use Gallery or another PHP app for an image gallery.

For my own personal homapage I just used plain vanilla HTML, using Dreamweaver, Textpad and Photoshop. It's small enough so I can do it nice and simple, I like things Spartan. I might use maybe a portal PHP app but I'm not so sure.
  4. xie Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I have to use remote hosting, since my Cable provider blocks all incoming requests from port 80 (HTTP). Xieish.com is at websolo.com for a year, and then I will switch it elsewhere.
  5. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    I've just recently switched to my own domain. So I'm still kind of figuring out how to use the tools it provides. As of now, I have almost all html but some java as well.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  6. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Photoshop and Dreamweaver.
  7. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Hmmmm, nice question, Carosel, i don't use anything fancy, a small Javascript here and there, a small HTML all in there with the thrusty help of my Paint Shop Pro. I use nothing complicated for my site, i just feel that good grapics is the ke, and that's my motto.
  8. LittleJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm a huge fan of using CSS too... [face_mischief]
  9. Darth_Imran Jedi Master

star 4
    Dreamweaver for the layout, and Photoshop for the graphics.
  10. Qui Gon Jim23 Force Ghost

star 5
    At the moment I use Photoshop, Fireworks, Dreamweaver MX, Flash MX and Coldfusion MX for the back end.

I also use WSFTP for those miscellaneous uploads.
  11. Valiowk Force Ghost

star 6
    For my website, I'm still stuck using Geocities. I use CSS, together with Strict HTML for the website. I'm considering using flash, but I don't want to do so if it's only use is as an opening page; I feel it's a waste of time to have to click on "Enter". I use Adobe Photoshop to edit all pictures of mine, even if easier tools will do, as I'm used to that programme.
  12. Qui Gon Jim23 Force Ghost

star 5
    For the bigger site, I've begun doing almost all of the menus in Flash. It's so much quicker and easier to do drop downs with. I almost never use it for an intro unless the entire site is Flash.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.